Presidents Tax Comission report released.

cindersphere

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/...owles-release-eye-popping-recommendations.php

From the Article

Some of the recommendations:
Social Security cuts:

• Index the retirement age to longevity -- i.e., increase the retirement age to qualify for Social Security -- to age 69 by 2075.
  • Index Social Security yearly increases to inflation rather than wages, which will generally mean lower cost of living increases and less money per average recipient.
  • "Increase progressivity of benefit formula" -- i.e., means test part of Social Security benefits by 2050.
  • Increase the Social Security contribution ceiling: while people only pay Social Security taxes on the first $106,800 of their wages today, that's only about 86% of the total potentially taxable wages. The co-chairs suggest raising the ceiling to capture 90% of wages.
Tax reform:

• The co-chairs suggest capping both government expenditures and revenue at 21% of GDP eventually.
  • In their first plan, called "The Zero Plan," they suggest reducing the tax brackets to three personal brackets and one corporate rate while eliminated all credits and deductions. Without any credits or deductions (including the ETIC and mortgage interest deductions), the 3 tax rates would be 8, 14 and 23 percent.
  • In their second plan, they would increase the personal deduction to $15,000, create 3 tax brackets (15, 25 and 35%); repeal or significantly curtail a number of popular tax deductions (including the state and local deduction and the mortgage interest deduction); and eliminate other tax expenditures.
  • The third plan would force Congress to undertake comprehensive tax reform by 2012 by raising taxes for each year Congress fails to act.
  • All their proposals limit Congress to collecting taxes on income made within the United States, reducing or eliminating taxes on American expats and revenues companies earn abroad.
  • They also suggest raising the federal gas tax "to 15 cents per gallon" [sic] in 2013. (The federal gas tax is currently 18.4 cents per gallon, indicating that the co-chairs may have intended to say by 15 cents per gallon)
Medicaid/Medicare cuts

• Force more low-income individuals into Medicaid managed care.
  • Increase Medicaid co-pays.
  • Accelerate already-planned cuts to Medicare Advantage and home health care programs.
  • Create a cap for Medicaid/Medicare growth that would force Congress and the President to increase premiums or co-pays or raise the Medicare eligibility age (among other options) if the system encounters cost overruns over the course of 5 years.
Discretionary spending cuts

• Eliminate all earmarks.
  • Eliminate the Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools.
  • Freeze federal worker wage increases through 2014; eliminate 200,000 federal jobs by 2020; and eliminate 250,000 federal non-defense contractor jobs by 2015.
  • Eliminate subsidized student loans, in which the government makes interest payments while the student is in school.
  • Establish co-pays in the VA medical system and change the co-pays and deductibles for military retirees that remain in that system.
  • Eliminate NASA funding for commercial space flight.
  • Require the Smithsonian museums to start charging entrance fees and raise fees at the national parks.
  • Eliminate funding to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting -- which many conservatives suggested in the wake of the firing of former NPR contributor Juan Williams.
  • Reduce farm subsidies by $3 billion per year.
  • Create a Committee to eliminate unnecessary programs to the tune of $11 billion by 2015.
  • Merge the Department of Commerce and the Small Business Administration and cut its budget by 10 percent.
  • End "low-priority" Army Corps of Engineers programs to the tune of $1 billion by 2015.
  • Cut the State Department's overseas budget by 10 percent by 2015; reduce the proposed foreign aid budget by 10 percent in 2015; and cut voluntary contributions to the United Nations by 10 percent in 2015.
  • Eliminate the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, which provides subsidized financing and political risk insurance for U.S. companies' investments abroad.
  • Cut $900 million in fossil fuel research funds.
  • Force airlines to increase their contributions to airline security costs and allow them to increase per-ticket security fees.
Defense spending cuts:

• Double the number of defense contractor positions scheduled for elimination from 10 percent of current staff augmentees to 20 percent.
  • Reduce procurement by 15 percent, or $20 billion.
  • Eliminate the V-22 Osprey program.
  • Cancel the Marine Corps' Expeditionary Fighting Vehicle program.
  • Halve the number of F-35 Joint Strike Fighters in favor of F-16s and F/A-18Es.
  • Cancel the Marine Corps F-35 program.
  • Cancel the Navy's Future Maritime Prepositioning Force.
  • Cancel the new Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV), the Ground Combat Vehicle, and the Joint Tactical Radio.
  • Reduce military forces in Europe and Asia by one-third.
  • Send all military children based in the U.S. to local schools.

This report is so gonna get ignored, although I agree with some of the cuts like the cancellation of some military spending. What do you guys all think.

[quote name='cindersphere'][*]Eliminate subsidized student loans, in which the government makes interest payments while the student is in school.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, let's just go ahead and make college even more expensive.

And seriously, entry fees at the Smithsonian? There's some pretty picayune stuff in there.

Shit yeah, cut everything and put even more burden on the citizen. I don't see any negative downside to that.

This country is fucking retarded.

[quote name='Sporadic']Shit yeah, cut everything and put even more burden on the citizen. I don't see any negative downside to that.

[/QUOTE]
I strongly disaprove of your use of "fucking retarded." This country gives people with down syndrome a bad name.

[quote name='Sporadic']Shit yeah, cut everything and put even more burden on the citizen. I don't see any negative downside to that.

[/QUOTE]

You do realize that it will be us, the citizens, who will be screwed as the dollar continues to lose its value. The effects of our declining dollar can already be seen in the vast expansion of wealth gained by the few, at the expense of the many. As long as we perpetuate a corporate-friendly deficit finance system, this will only grow at a faster rate.

The interest on our debt alone will cost ~$700 billion a year in the next few years.

It needs to be fixed. Immediately. Let's make some cuts, I'll go first:

Cut our yearly $1 trillion empire in half in two years, down to $500 billion a year.

Your turn.

[quote name='Magus8472']Yeah, let's just go ahead and make college even more expensive.

And seriously, entry fees at the Smithsonian? There's some pretty picayune stuff in there.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I can sympathize with the pissed off students in the UK, but seriously, they don't pay half of what some of us pay.

Anyway, to contribute...

Eliminate the Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools.

how much would that really save? I mean unless they're really spending a shit load on keeping schools safe and free of drugs, I don't think that should even be considered.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']You do realize that it will be us, the citizens, who will be screwed as the dollar continues to lose its value.[/QUOTE]

Wondered if anyone was going to catch that comment.

[quote name='Feeding the Abscess']You do realize that it will be us, the citizens, who will be screwed as the dollar continues to lose its value. The effects of our declining dollar can already be seen in the vast expansion of wealth gained by the few, at the expense of the many.[/QUOTE]

This trend has gone on for nearly 40 years, wholly independent of inflation. It was the result of a continual barrage of the public discussing changing policies that disproportionately impacted the wealthy - declines in marginal tax rates, removing the capital gains tax, proposed removing of the estate tax, etc.

Remember that all of Congress agreed to continue the Bush tax cuts for the "bottom" 98% of income earners. It was the Republicans who decided that we should all suffer until the top 2% get theirs, too. How's that break down, financially?

tax_cut_chart.gif

The concentration of wealth has nothing to do with inflation. In fact, those with vast stocks of cash are deathly afraid of inflation, for the simple reason that holding onto cash kills their wealth unless it's converted into assets (gold, fine art, etc.).

C.E.O.’s of the largest American companies earned an average of 42 times as much as the average worker in 1980, but 531 times as much in 2001. Perhaps the most astounding statistic is this: From 1980 to 2005, more than four-fifths of the total increase in American incomes went to the richest 1 percent.

From: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/opinion/07kristof.html

Damn those CEOs!
Do recall that (in the very largest of companies) the board votes on a raise for the CEO while the CEO gives the board a raise, mainly based on stock performance.
Also, think of how many entertainers and athletes are in that top bracket, far more than those greedy CEOs that are apparently ruining the lives of everyone.

I agree with much of it. However one thing does concern me, how will means testing work? Does it look at your income or does it look at your savings? I could get behind something that looks at your total income over the years you were working and means tests that way, but I strongly disagree with means testing your total savings. Me and my wife get by on about $35,000 pre taxed a year. We have chosen not to have kids and pump money in to her 401k/IRA. If things continue at the rate they have we are set to retire with between 1.5 million to 2 million dollars at age 65-67. If means testing kicks in and they then tell her sorry, you paid in to social security your whole life but you can not receive it I think that would be BS. Its wrong that people can make sacrifices in their younger years to pay to live well in the golden years...just to have that taken away.

As I said I am all for means testing and if in the next few years she got a management job for $100k + a year I can completely understand her not receiving SS in 40-50 years. If however she continues to make middle class wages its unacceptable to be penalized just because we were smart enough to save and sacrifice.

I knew it was god awful when even my ultra Tea Party hate-everything-about-gubmit-and-all-forms-of-taxation eff-the-poor-and-middle-class public accountant father-in-law mumbled that it was a little too light on high income earners.

bread's done
Back