Prey $4.95 on Steam

jax_the_ax15

CAGiversary!
This weekend only, nab acclaimed first person shooter Prey for just $4.95. Yes, $4.95. Don't let this one get away!

If your looking for prey and want it for less than 5 dollars there ya go.

Hey guys,

Are any of you having trouble with this? I have a 10-machine LAN at home (check it out here: http://www.bunkerguts.com/blog/?page_id=19), and I need to buy copies for all 10. I managed to get one last night, just to check it out and make sure that it was good enough to get, then one more this morning. Every other one hasn't worked, saying that my CC was declined! I called My cc co, and they say there is nothing wrong, and they aren't even getting attempts. Support.steampowered was even down for a bit this morning, so I don't know if it is on their end, my end or whatever.

What sucks is, the two I got are useless without the full 10! I hope I can get this fixed before the offer expires!

sounds like a security feature to prevent someone from really going to town with a stolen credit card. email their support and press the fact that you were interested in buying another 8 @ $5. If they have any decent customer service they'll honor the price.

[quote name='Microshock']No , companies wont make digital copies cheaper because even though there is no shipping costs, packaging , or printing costs involved in it , you still have to pay for the bandwith for the servers

the bandwith is a lot especially since steam games can be downloaded over and over again without a limit.[/quote]
Puh-leeze, don't make me laugh. The bandwidth required to transfer even the largest games on Steam amounts to mere pennies worth, at the very most. Even if you download the game a hundred times, it still would cost less than the average shipping/printing/packaging costs of a retail game.

Charging the same amount for DD games as the retail versions amounts to highway robbery. They make a killing.

Valve gets like a 10 percent share of the games cost? Prey was 20 dollars. So the publisher gets 15 if they sell a copy on there.
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's public knowledge what cut Valve takes.

[quote name='qwerty1']sounds like a security feature to prevent someone from really going to town with a stolen credit card. email their support and press the fact that you were interested in buying another 8 @ $5. If they have any decent customer service they'll honor the price.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it is, because it warns me that I just bought this from another account on the same email address. It basically says something like "make sure you really really want to do this!" Fortunately, I do. Unfortunately, it doesn't let me when I try!

I still haven't heard ack from Steam support. Boo!

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Puh-leeze, don't make me laugh. The bandwidth required to transfer even the largest games on Steam amounts to mere pennies worth, at the very most. Even if you download the game a hundred times, it still would cost less than the average shipping/printing/packaging costs of a retail game.

Charging the same amount for DD games as the retail versions amounts to highway robbery. They make a killing.

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's public knowledge what cut Valve takes.[/quote]

It's been stated before that retail stores would refuse to stock a publisher's games if they offer it cheaper anywhere else. As many people in this thread have demonstrated, digital distribution is still too novel for most publishers to totally give up retail store sales, and thus prices have to be set to MSRP as long as the retail stores still actively stock the product.

thanks op! tried this game and might be the best $5 on gaming i've spent in a long time. also tempted to get indigo prophecy for $10

[quote name='Gangrene']Hey guys,

Are any of you having trouble with this? I have a 10-machine LAN at home (check it out here: http://www.bunkerguts.com/blog/?page_id=19), and I need to buy copies for all 10. I managed to get one last night, just to check it out and make sure that it was good enough to get, then one more this morning. Every other one hasn't worked, saying that my CC was declined! I called My cc co, and they say there is nothing wrong, and they aren't even getting attempts. Support.steampowered was even down for a bit this morning, so I don't know if it is on their end, my end or whatever.

What sucks is, the two I got are useless without the full 10! I hope I can get this fixed before the offer expires![/QUOTE]

From the Steam Faq:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8360-WEJC-2625#multiple

How can I purchase multiple copies of the game with one credit card?
In order to deter fraud, Steam does not allow multiple purchases of the same product with the same credit card.

To purchase multiple copies of a game you must attempt a purchase (a "test purchase") on each Steam account before we can remove the lock on your card. Simply enter your credit card information in the Steam Account you wish to make the purchase on.

Once you have placed a test purchase on each of the accounts and received notice that it was declined, please contact our billing department and provide the following information:

The last four digits of the credit card you are using for your purchase.
The Steam Account name(s) you would like to purchase software for.
The Steam Account name(s) you have purchased games on prior to this attempt.
We will send you confirmation after reviewing the issue and enabling your card for an additional purchase.

-------------------------------------------

Anyway, on the subject of Steam pricing, I still think some people miss the point of the service. Retail stores do demand that the base price for a game is the same as the retail price, however there is NO reason Steam can't run "sales" and discount games as low as they want or sell individual games for way lower than they are. What, Best Buy and Amazon can sell Orange Box for under $30, yet somehow Valve, the ones that make and distribute the game through Steam, are bound to never discount it by a similar amount? Hell, Prey is $5, doesn't that go completely against the idea that retailers have all control over the pricing of the services games since many stores still carry the game for the $20 retail price?

Why in the world would something like Half-life 2 alone be $30? Or Counter-strike Source $20? Or HL2 Episode 2 $30? Why don't they offer the Black Box on the service like they originally planned? Honestly, some of the prices are just ridiculous, and no blaming retailers or publishers is going to change the fact that a majority of the Steam Store's prices are just excessive.

[quote name='Edge']Anyway, on the subject of Steam pricing, I still think some people miss the point of the service. Retail stores do demand that the base price for a game is the same as the retail price, however there is NO reason Steam can't run "sales" and discount games as low as they want or sell individual games for way lower than they are.[/quote]
That's exactly what they do. Not a weekend goes by that something isn't on sale, usually a pretty good one.
Why in the world would something like Half-life 2 alone be $30? Or Counter-strike Source $20? Or HL2 Episode 2 $30? Why don't they offer the Black Box on the service like they originally planned? Honestly, some of the prices are just ridiculous, and no blaming retailers or publishers is going to change the fact that a majority of the Steam Store's prices are just excessive.
Those games are still priced higher because they're popular and sell at that price. It's no mystery there. The price isn't excessive if it's selling well. When interest flags you'll see a sale.

I already picked it up during the half off Circuit City bonanza. Fortunately, this is one of the few non-steam games which you can get on Steam by purchasing it in the store, so I already have it. It's pretty fun, but not the greatest FPS.

[quote name='Damian']Because Steam is a distribution method for PC games?[/QUOTE]
Wow thx...
CaptainobviousChooseOption.jpg

i was talking about the price.

bread's done
Back