"Princess Boy"

Stoic Person Eater

CAGiversary!
Feedback
231 (100%)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DnbjtXDlv0

A Seattle mom and author is being criticized for exploiting her son to sell more books, but Cheryl Kilodavis says she's just trying to get people to talk about acceptance.
Kilodavis, the author of "My Princess Boy," told KIRO Radio's Ron and Don Show her son, Dyson, is at home in Seattle with his dad and brother while she's in New York on a book tour. "Dyson has only been on TV three times."
She said it took a year to decide to go public with her son's story and the whole family was involved in the decision.
After writing "My Princess Boy," Kilodavis said people started passing the book around and that's how she ended up on TV.
Kilodavis said the reason she wrote the book is because she couldn't find one that properly addressed her situation.
"I was a little shocked that there wasn't a book out there that focused on little boys dressing up without jumping to the gender confusion or the sexual orientation point," she said.
At a very young age, Kilodavis said, Dyson had an interest in "beautiful and lovely things" and it was much different than raising her older son. She wrote in her journal about going through the acceptance process.
"The book is really more than just about a boy who dresses up. The book is really about acceptance. It's saying 'will you be my friend? I'm choosing to do something this way, will you still accept me for who I am?' I think we all want that for our kids. We want that for ourselves," Kilodavis said.
She said the point of the book is get you to ask yourself 'what would you do in this situation?'"
"I don't think our jobs as parents is to control our kids and make them unhappy all the time. I don't think my job is to say no every minute. My job is to be a guide and to make sure I'm raising a healthy, happy, and safe little boy. That's what we're doing."

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category..."My-Princess-Boy"-author-addresses-criticism/

What are your thoughts? If you're a parent, do you have a "Princess Boy"? Would you allow your child to become a "Princess Boy"?

This lady is a brilliant entrepreneur.

Junior wants to wear a dress? Hmmm. How can I parlay this into a book deal and a speaking tour?

This lady is a true American.

The parents need help! I think they don't have a daughter and is getting the little boy confused. This started from somewhere.

[quote name='whitecastle']The parents need help! I think they don't have a daughter and is getting the little boy confused. This started from somewhere.[/QUOTE]
That's what I am thinking. This is definitely a learned behavior.

Also, the internet is forever. Even if this kid decides one day that he wants to stop wearing dresses and start being a young MAN, he'll NEVER be able to live this down.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']he'll NEVER be able to live this down.[/QUOTE]

the question is why should it be mocked?

I'll admit I have a hard time saying that I'd allow a son - my own - to grow up that way. At the same time, I would have a hard time with a young girl who bought into such severe gender stereotypes as well (even if it's socially accepted for girls).

But that's speculation - I don't have children so I honestly have no idea how I'd respond.

In the meantime, the least I can say is that people who would mock this child or his parents need to think about (1) what kind of business it is of theirs, and (2) why it's okay for you to mock them, but it's not okay for a child to do what he or she wants to.

[quote name='mykevermin']the question is why should it be mocked?

I'll admit I have a hard time saying that I'd allow a son - my own - to grow up that way. At the same time, I would have a hard time with a young girl who bought into such severe gender stereotypes as well (even if it's socially accepted for girls).

But that's speculation - I don't have children so I honestly have no idea how I'd respond.

In the meantime, the least I can say is that people who would mock this child or his parents need to think about (1) what kind of business it is of theirs, and (2) why it's okay for you to mock them, but it's not okay for a child to do what he or she wants to.[/QUOTE]

You probably wouldn't care. My son is definitely a boy - he's hyper, he loves to wrestle, he loves superheroes and sports and building crap and playing video games - all the stuff that typical boys do. However, he will cry if he doesn't get to paint his nails with his sister. He has been rocking the blue sparkles for about a week now. At first I was like "really?" but it is completely harmless and he has fun with it so who really cares?

[quote name='whitecastle']The parents need help! I think they don't have a daughter and is getting the little boy confused. This started from somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Negative, this is normal in younger kids.

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=122&id=1740

Although calling him Princess Boy and making it more important than other forms of play, is most likely too much.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']That's what I am thinking. This is definitely a learned behavior. [/QUOTE]

Why?

You know alot of crossdressers just do it because they like it, not for a sexual or transgender reason.

The point for me is that the parents are cashing in and making a spectacle of a situation that nobody should really give a crap about let alone buy the book.. The parents have labeled this poor kid. If he wakes up one day and wants to wear a John Deer tshirt and a pair of jeans it will be looked upon as a betrayal to the family business and whatever activist group that chooses to embrace him.

Edit: If your going to rock a dress, you better bring the talent. for example:

watch

[quote name='Sporadic']Negative, this is normal in younger kids.

Although calling him Princess Boy and making it more important than other forms of play, is most likely too much. [/QUOTE]

IDK, this kid just doesn't want to "dress" up he's acting like a girl too...I kinda heard a sharp pitch to his voice. He's nothing like my son was when growing up so I don't know how "normal" that really is.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']The point for me is that the parents are cashing in and making a spectacle of a situation that nobody should really give a crap about let alone buy the book.. The parents have labeled this poor kid. If he wakes up one day and wants to wear a John Deer tshirt and a pair of jeans it will be looked upon as a betrayal to the family business and whatever activist group that chooses to embrace him.[/QUOTE]

I don't see it that way. I really think the mother is trying to get acceptance for her son's "normal yet not very known normal" behavior with the creation of the book/media appearances instead of trying to sell her book.

If he decides one day, he's done with dresses and the girly colors, I bet his parents will accept it also (although I do bet there will be a scuffle between him and his parents when he gets older and tries to fit in like most teenagers. they will be saying be yourself as he says I don't like it anymore. whether it is that or him just trying to fit in, it will take a few years to find out)

[quote name='whitecastle']IDK, this kid just doesn't want to "dress" up he's acting like a girl too...I kinda heard a sharp pitch to his voice. He's nothing like my son was when growing up so I don't know how "normal" that really is.[/QUOTE]

Really? He sounds like a normal (nervous) boy to me and just because your kid didn't do it, doesn't make it not normal.

I hope your right, sporadic. I am really skeptical about adults exploiting kids even if they believe they have good intentions.

[quote name='62t']I wonder if mom will feel the same way when the kid wants to get sex change.[/QUOTE]
She's probably going on the media tour for the book just to gather the funds for the sex change.

[quote name='javeryh']You probably wouldn't care. My son is definitely a boy - he's hyper, he loves to wrestle, he loves superheroes and sports and building crap and playing video games - all the stuff that typical boys do. However, he will cry if he doesn't get to paint his nails with his sister. He has been rocking the blue sparkles for about a week now. At first I was like "really?" but it is completely harmless and he has fun with it so who really cares?[/QUOTE]

Oh, I mean the more "all or nothing" approach in terms of gender roles. Modern American female gender roles - at early socialization - teach people to be demure, passive/submissive, and dependent on other people. If my son wants to paint his nails, that doesn't make me bat a (hypothetical) eye - but having a child who is wholesale into female gender roles (whether boy or girl) would concern me.

[quote name='xxDOYLExx']I hope your right, sporadic. I am really skeptical about adults exploiting kids even if they believe they have good intentions.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100% - I can't stand any parents who push their kids into the spotlight to become actors or whatever which is clearly done for their own personal financial gain or notoriety. Let the kids be kids.

Well let's consider some things first. What we consider gender roles can be false.

Let's look at dress. Forget even the colors ok? Let's consider a dress or skirt. The Toga is a DRESS and so is the Kimono. A kilt is a SKIRT.
It's also likely that in the old days the first piece of all encompassing clothing was either a dress or a top and a skirt. No one even considered that was a dress or a top and skirt either.
I would also argue the only time we truly see "gender roles" manifest themselves is in what people are told by society will attract one of the opposite sex. The male wearing the tux, the girl wearing the formal dress. I would argue MOST people don't like dressing up and prefer dressing androgenously.
When you look at a Transsexual male or female and their dress at the beginning, before SRS(Sexual Reassignment Surgery) and so on they may dress the stereotype. This is to "shout out", so to speak, that they're a girl or man. Later on, when they've settled into their real sex most will likely follow the path I mentioned above.
Perhaps not though. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to dress formally but that's me.

As far as the emotional gender role part we FOIST that nonsense on girls and boys. While with girls that hasn't been completely abolished it's been allowed to expand, just a little bit. Contrast that to boys and said behavior, if a male is more submissive or passive or more effeminate. The truth is in finding the balance and letting it be known. Most men AND women do not follow their balance, recognizing their Yin and Yang.

[quote name='Sarang01']Well let's consider some things first. What we consider gender roles can be false.

Let's look at dress. Forget even the colors ok? Let's consider a dress or skirt. The Toga is a DRESS and so is the Kimono. A kilt is a SKIRT.
It's also likely that in the old days the first piece of all encompassing clothing was either a dress or a top and a skirt. No one even considered that was a dress or a top and skirt either.
I would also argue the only time we truly see "gender roles" manifest themselves is in what people are told by society will attract one of the opposite sex. The male wearing the tux, the girl wearing the formal dress. I would argue MOST people don't like dressing up and prefer dressing androgenously.
When you look at a Transsexual male or female and their dress at the beginning, before SRS(Sexual Reassignment Surgery) and so on they may dress the stereotype. This is to "shout out", so to speak, that they're a girl or man. Later on, when they've settled into their real sex most will likely follow the path I mentioned above.
Perhaps not though. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to dress formally but that's me.

As far as the emotional gender role part we FOIST that nonsense on girls and boys. While with girls that hasn't been completely abolished it's been allowed to expand, just a little bit. Contrast that to boys and said behavior, if a male is more submissive or passive or more effeminate. The truth is in finding the balance and letting it be known. Most men AND women do not follow their balance, recognizing their Yin and Yang.[/QUOTE]
WTF? Where did this come from? Where is the REAL Sarang01 and what have you done with him!

Ha....ha.

I consider myself a Daoist Libertarian so my belief in the Balance extends to many things, including that of self. Granted I need to follow my own advice when it comes to the latter aspect.

I'm particularly sensitive on this subject, specifically on Transgirls, because of the sky high murder rate. Perhaps because of this I believe I can express some knowledge here.

As for the parents I worry about the kid getting harrassed in school because of this. If the parents were to handle it responsibly posting a video on YouTube is not the best choice.

It's funny how things that are associated with a specific gender change over time. for example, blue is usually the color associated with baby boys these days, blue blanket, blue clothes, etc. It used to be pink years ago, but now that's the color associated with a baby girl.

My point is, who the fuck cares? Plus, kilts really need to make a comeback, I'm sick of pants.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Would you allow your child to become a "Princess Boy"?[/QUOTE]

If that's what he wants to become I don't think anything will stop him.

[quote name='IRHari']If that's what he wants to become I don't think anything will stop him.[/QUOTE]
As a parent, you wouldn't try to encourage them to adhere to societal norms?

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']As a parent, you wouldn't try to encourage them to adhere to societal norms?[/QUOTE]

Even the bad ones?

[quote name='Clak']It's funny how things that are associated with a specific gender change over time. for example, blue is usually the color associated with baby boys these days, blue blanket, blue clothes, etc. It used to be pink years ago, but now that's the color associated with a baby girl.

My point is, who the fuck cares? Plus, kilts really need to make a comeback, I'm sick of pants.[/QUOTE]
RIGHT! fuck these fucking pants! And underwear too! I'm going commando!

[quote name='mykevermin']Even the bad ones?[/QUOTE]
Obviously not the bad ones.

I'm talking about males acting masculine and not wearing dresses. The mom should be able to explain to the child "the ways of the world" and that men do not wear dresses normally, those are for girls.

I know everyone is different - perhaps this kid is "special" in some way; but let's be honest - he's not conforming to his gender roles and his parents are not only encouraging it, but marketing and profiting off of it. On the Today show, the mom almost appeared to be directing the child to do things.

Can't say I watch Today, and I've not seen her elsewhere. I can't comment on her motives.

But, again, why must he conform to conventional norms? I can't really see much in what you're arguing other than something that suggests it will be less bothersome to both him and you (you being not just you, but society in general).

To which I return to one of my previous questions: why is it your business to tell this parent what to do? They're in the catch-22 of challenging norms, but they can only do it in a way that leads to accusations of 'profiting'. If they weren't on Today etc., would you know of Princess Boy? I'd argue most certainly not, as this child is in no way the first to defy gender roles at such an early age.

Gender roles are social constructions. Dress and appearance are social constructions. The jeans and t-shirt you wear while relaxing is a social construction of the modern era, whereas a century ago you'd have the gender-role-based knowledge of what kind of coat to wear outdoors, to know that you should never wear your hat indoors, and that a t-shirt and jeans were far too crass and offensive to wear in public spaces - you might as well simply walk around in the nude.

Gender norms shift, they're not tied to biology. Especially for dress; it's just learned behavior (unless you want to argue a biological basis for colors, cuts/designs of clothing, and lipstick). So why not accept challenges to learned behavior, as it's helped us learn to behave the way we behave today (both in good and bad ways)?

Also, the idea of "bad" norms can vary from person to person - I think forcing gender roles on young children is a bad norm. ;)

Both my brothers wanted and got Cabbage Patch dolls as kids and they're both fine. There's no reason to stop kids from being kids.

javery is a fucking outstanding parent and I commend you, dude.

Fancy talk and ideals are all well and good. But people live in the real world. This isn't going to be buried in some dopey family album - it's on the web forever. The parents haven't done this kid any favors when he eventually enters his teenage years.

[quote name='mykevermin']Can't say I watch Today, and I've not seen her elsewhere. I can't comment on her motives.

But, again, why must he conform to conventional norms? I can't really see much in what you're arguing other than something that suggests it will be less bothersome to both him and you (you being not just you, but society in general).

To which I return to one of my previous questions: why is it your business to tell this parent what to do? They're in the catch-22 of challenging norms, but they can only do it in a way that leads to accusations of 'profiting'. If they weren't on Today etc., would you know of Princess Boy? I'd argue most certainly not, as this child is in no way the first to defy gender roles at such an early age.

Gender roles are social constructions. Dress and appearance are social constructions. The jeans and t-shirt you wear while relaxing is a social construction of the modern era, whereas a century ago you'd have the gender-role-based knowledge of what kind of coat to wear outdoors, to know that you should never wear your hat indoors, and that a t-shirt and jeans were far too crass and offensive to wear in public spaces - you might as well simply walk around in the nude.

Gender norms shift, they're not tied to biology. Especially for dress; it's just learned behavior (unless you want to argue a biological basis for colors, cuts/designs of clothing, and lipstick). So why not accept challenges to learned behavior, as it's helped us learn to behave the way we behave today (both in good and bad ways)?

Also, the idea of "bad" norms can vary from person to person - I think forcing gender roles on young children is a bad norm. ;)[/QUOTE]
You bring up some great points and I appreciate you referencing "you" - not just as me, but as society as a whole.

I'm not judging this child for being different or "feminine" in his dressing styles. I am merely mildly concerned for his future. Do you think he'll survive a year of public school while wearing a dress everyday? If he makes it through elementary, he won't make it through middle or high school with out coming under a ton of ridicule. Or will he? Will everyone understand that he is different and is a Princess Boy and should just let him be unique? Will he be able to get a normal job in the Real World when he interviews in a dress?

When I become a parent, I will encourage my child to be whatever they want to be, but I will also make sure they are a functioning member of society, who adheres to norms that will avoid placing ridicule upon them from other "normal" members of society.

And IF I have a son who wants to wear dresses at a young age, I will not parade him around on television and conduct a media tour: http://myprincessboy.com/press.asp based on a book I created to explain to everyone else in the world that it's okay for a male to dress/talk/pretend to be female. If this happens all the time with children, why aren't there more books? The parents of those children didn't see the opportunity to exploit their child's "trait"? If this is just a phase in this child's life, it has been documented entirely by the internet, cable television and a pink book his mother realized would be an easy paycheck.

Honestly, I would have never heard of Princess Boy if his mother hadn't made the decision to put him on a pink pedestal for society to accept on National TV. I don't know this kid and honestly, I could care less about whether he wears dresses, pants or ass-less chaps. He's just another kid in America who is confused with his gender. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people who undergo gender transformation later in their lives because they have felt similar feelings that this kid might or might not be feeling. This kid could go on to becoming a "normal" member of society. He may realize he feels more comfortable being effeminate and get a sex change or "come out of the closet". Either way, there are 1000's of people who go through the same thing - they're just not made a spectacle of like this child.

Re: Stoic and camoor: Totally. I certainly wouldn't be media whoring it up.

Srsly tho, javery: pics or it didn't happen.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I'm not judging this child for being different or "feminine" in his dressing styles. I am merely mildly concerned for his future. Do you think he'll survive a year of public school while wearing a dress everyday? If he makes it through elementary, he won't make it through middle or high school with out coming under a ton of ridicule. Or will he? Will everyone understand that he is different and is a Princess Boy and should just let him be unique? Will he be able to get a normal job in the Real World when he interviews in a dress?[/QUOTE]

This all seems like a moot point. Most schools have dress codes that prohibit crossdressing (or at least mine did) so it would become a home activity. Same with getting a normal job in the Real World.

- edit It already seems that he keeps dress wearing to when he is out of school. Although he did dress up for Halloween.

The problem, of course, is at school and at stores. When Dyson goes shopping with his mom, people often laugh when he likes dresses and pink heels. Before Halloween, Dyson's teacher called everyone in the school and informed them all that Dyson would be a Princess Boy. Some of the most "macho" employees at school dressed as ballet dancers, in a show of support for Dyson.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']When I become a parent, I will encourage my child to be whatever they want to be, but I will also make sure they are a functioning member of society, who adheres to norms that will avoid placing ridicule upon them from other "normal" members of society. [/QUOTE]

Now take this statement and go back in time a little bit.

If you had a daughter, it would mean she could get a job but a feminine one like a phone operator or secretary...if she fell in love, that's fine as long as it is with a person of the same race that has the same religion. Oh, and she would have to get married/have kids.

Go further back, it would mean no job for her. A woman's place was to get married, raise a family and take care of the house.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']And IF I have a son who wants to wear dresses at a young age, I will not parade him around on television and conduct a media tour: http://myprincessboy.com/press.asp based on a book I created to explain to everyone else in the world that it's okay for a male to dress/talk/pretend to be female. If this happens all the time with children, why aren't there more books? The parents of those children didn't see the opportunity to exploit their child's "trait"? If this is just a phase in this child's life, it has been documented entirely by the internet, cable television and a pink book his mother realized would be an easy paycheck.

Honestly, I would have never heard of Princess Boy if his mother hadn't made the decision to put him on a pink pedestal for society to accept on National TV. I don't know this kid and honestly, I could care less about whether he wears dresses, pants or ass-less chaps. He's just another kid in America who is confused with his gender. There are hundreds, if not thousands of people who undergo gender transformation later in their lives because they have felt similar feelings that this kid might or might not be feeling. This kid could go on to becoming a "normal" member of society. He may realize he feels more comfortable being effeminate and get a sex change or "come out of the closet". Either way, there are 1000's of people who go through the same thing - they're just not made a spectacle of like this child.[/QUOTE]

:roll: at the bolded parts

Let me requote an earlier post by me.

----------------------

Although calling him Princess Boy and making it more important than other forms of play, is most likely too much.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']That's what I am thinking. This is definitely a learned behavior. [/QUOTE]

Why?

You know alot of crossdressers just do it because they like it, not for a sexual or transgender reason.

------------

Also I love how you post things like "this isn't normal, if it was...why haven't I heard about it more from other parents?" and than immediately go "this mother is exploiting her kid to make some cash" when somebody does try to bring it to light.

- edit Here's a quote from the Dad from another video.

I'm fine with it. I just want him to be happy and healthy. And this is the form he chooses to express himself with, that's fine. In the end, when he grows up, I want him to say, no matter what he chooses, I'm so glad my parents supported me, I can't believe I did that or I'm glad I was accepted for who I am. That's the important thing. That he knows he has a sanctuary at home.

http://www.king5.com/new-day-northwest/Family-Embraces-Princess-Boy-104882999.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sporadic']This all seems like a moot point. Most schools have dress codes that prohibit crossdressing (or at least mine did) so it would become a home activity. Same with getting a normal job in the Real World.[/quote]
This kid is on national television wearing a dress. It's obviously not a home activity. The mom takes him out in dresses to go and buy him dresses.

What if he wants to wear dresses to school? Is their dress code not accepting of his uniqueness? Or is the dress code based on societal norms that this kid does not follow; which is my whole point.

[quote name='Sporadic']
Now take this statement and go back in time a little bit.

If you had a daughter, it would mean she could get a job but a feminine one like a phone operator or secretary...if she fell in love, that's fine as long as it is with a person of the same race that has the same religion. Oh, and she would have to get married/have kids.

Go further back, it would mean no job for her. A woman's place was to get married, raise a family and take care of the house.[/quote]
I think you're really getting off track with this. I don't define the societal norms, I am just familiar with them as a functioning member of society. You're talking about the women's movement of the 70's and 80's. I think you might even be reaching back as far as the 50's. Let's try and stay relevant.

Women get married because of love - they still do. Women birth children and raise families, that's because they are women and mothers. This has nothing to do with my statement "When I become a parent, I will encourage my child to be whatever they want to be, but I will also make sure they are a functioning member of society, who adheres to norms that will avoid placing ridicule upon them from other "normal" members of society."

I was merely referring to the fact that I want my child to go through life being comfortable enough not be ridiculed by society. I will make sure they understand the concept of society - including hygiene, manners, common courtesy and the roles of people within a society. I will make sure they adhere to the laws and societal norms to avoid any possible harm or harassment from other members of society.

[quote name='Sporadic']
:roll: at the bolded parts

Let me requote an earlier post by me.[/quote]
Nice retort. Even better use of emoticons.

[quote name='Sporadic']

[/quote]
This kid is five. He doesn't know better unless it is a learned behavior. When did this kid first try on a dress to find out he liked it? He doesn't have any sisters. Or did he learn it by watching television or being encouraged by his parents to try on women's clothing.

I've never known a child to dictate what they are going to wear. Most children do not have money to purchase their own clothing and are entirely reliant on their parents for clothing. The parents are buying him the dresses.

[quote name='Sporadic']
Also I love how you post things like "this isn't normal, if it was...why haven't I heard about it more from other parents?" and than immediately go "this mother is exploiting her kid to make some cash" when somebody does try to bring it to light.[/QUOTE]
What are they bringing to light? The fact that kids are kids? If this kid JUST likes wearing dresses, then there is no need to explain it to anyone. He's just a kid. Apparently, according to you and your internet research, this is normal. Why does this kid deserve his own book and to have his face plastered on the morning "news" shows?

It appears this mom went through a lot of "mental anguish" when her son "chose" to start wearing dresses. She said she kept journals of her "mental struggle" with the "issue". She's the one who created the "issue", wrote a book about it and is now profiting from it. If you don't think that's ironic, well - I don't know what to tell you.

I'd be curious what her job was before she became an "author". Maybe you can find out for me. I bet she didn't have much going for her.

500x_princess_boy_1311.jpg

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']This kid is on national television wearing a dress. It's obviously not a home activity. The mom takes him out in dresses to go and buy him dresses.

What if he wants to wear dresses to school? Is their dress code not accepting of his uniqueness? Or is the dress code based on societal norms that this kid does not follow; which is my whole point. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']- edit It already seems that he keeps dress wearing to when he is out of school. Although he did dress up for Halloween.

The problem, of course, is at school and at stores. When Dyson goes shopping with his mom, people often laugh when he likes dresses and pink heels. Before Halloween, Dyson's teacher called everyone in the school and informed them all that Dyson would be a Princess Boy. Some of the most "macho" employees at school dressed as ballet dancers, in a show of support for Dyson.
[/QUOTE]

I already talked about dress codes/uniforms in another thread but it basically boils down to "in place to keep the kids from being distracted from their studies". (BTW, the proper term for the thing you keep calling societal norms is social mores) What they do in their free time or a holiday designed for dress up is up to them (for example at my school, you could dress up as anything you want for Halloween including banned temp hair colors as long as you didn't do anything wild like dress up like Quailman from Doug or come to school in a bikini)

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I think you're really getting off track with this. I don't define the societal norms, I am just familiar with them as a functioning member of society. You're talking about the women's movement of the 70's and 80's. I think you might even be reaching back as far as the 50's. Let's try and stay relevant.

Women get married because of love - they still do. Women birth children and raise families, that's because they are women and mothers. This has nothing to do with my statement "When I become a parent, I will encourage my child to be whatever they want to be, but I will also make sure they are a functioning member of society, who adheres to norms that will avoid placing ridicule upon them from other "normal" members of society."

I was merely referring to the fact that I want my child to go through life being comfortable enough not be ridiculed by society. I will make sure they understand the concept of society - including hygiene, manners, common courtesy and the roles of people within a society. I will make sure they adhere to the laws and societal norms to avoid any possible harm or harassment from other members of society.[/QUOTE]

It is completely relevant. Social mores change with the times and your argument has been applied for hundreds of years to try and stop people from doing what they want. Women in the workplace, women rebelling against having to get married/having kids, women working non-feminine jobs, interracial dating, homosexual relationships, skirts that didn't cover the whole leg, people perusing non traditional jobs in the arts, etc, etc, etc.

Instead of teaching your hypothetical kids how to conform, how about teaching that it is ok to be themselves and that it is ok for somebody to be different?

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']This kid is five. He doesn't know better unless it is a learned behavior. When did this kid first try on a dress to find out he liked it? He doesn't have any sisters. Or did he learn it by watching television or being encouraged by his parents to try on women's clothing.

I've never known a child to dictate what they are going to wear. Most children do not have money to purchase their own clothing and are entirely reliant on their parents for clothing. The parents are buying him the dresses.[/QUOTE]

Try actually doing some research into this instead of assuming.

I'm having trouble finding the actual article again but he first dressed up at daycare and did it multiple times before his mom started to look into it. She also said in the video interviews that the kid requested to dress like a princess for Halloween.

But what does it matter anyways? When I was a kid, I was really big into pro wrestling including wearing around a fake belt at home, wrestling my "wrestle buddy" doll thing in the living room and dressing up as my favorite, Big Boss Man, for Halloween. That's normal but what if I was a girl, would that normal behavior suddenly become unacceptable. That it means that I'm either a homosexual or transgender for liking something that isn't traditionally girly?

What if that love didn't go away and I became a female wrestler in real life? Should I be ashamed? Think that I am gay or a boy born in a girl's body? Or should I just be happy that I found something that makes me happy and doesn't hurt anybody?

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']Nice retort. Even better use of emoticons. [/QUOTE]

I'll one up it.

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']What are they bringing to light? The fact that kids are kids? If this kid JUST likes wearing dresses, then there is no need to explain it to anyone. He's just a kid. Apparently, according to you and your internet research, this is normal. Why does this kid deserve his own book and to have his face plastered on the morning "news" shows?

It appears this mom went through a lot of "mental anguish" when her son "chose" to start wearing dresses. She said she kept journals of her "mental struggle" with the "issue". She's the one who created the "issue", wrote a book about it and is now profiting from it. If you don't think that's ironic, well - I don't know what to tell you. [/QUOTE]

emotjerkbag.gif

A Seattle mom and author is being criticized for exploiting her son to sell more books, but Cheryl Kilodavis says she's just trying to get people to talk about acceptance.

Kilodavis, the author of "My Princess Boy," told KIRO Radio's Ron and Don Show her son, Dyson, is at home in Seattle with his dad and brother while she's in New York on a book tour. "Dyson has only been on TV three times."

She said it took a year to decide to go public with her son's story and the whole family was involved in the decision.

After writing "My Princess Boy," Kilodavis said people started passing the book around and that's how she ended up on TV.

Kilodavis said the reason she wrote the book is because she couldn't find one that properly addressed her situation.

"I was a little shocked that there wasn't a book out there that focused on little boys dressing up without jumping to the gender confusion or the sexual orientation point," she said.

At a very young age, Kilodavis said, Dyson had an interest in "beautiful and lovely things" and it was much different than raising her older son. She wrote in her journal about going through the acceptance process.

"The book is really more than just about a boy who dresses up. The book is really about acceptance. It's saying 'will you be my friend? I'm choosing to do something this way, will you still accept me for who I am?' I think we all want that for our kids. We want that for ourselves," Kilodavis said.

She said the point of the book is get you to ask yourself 'what would you do in this situation?'"

"I don't think our jobs as parents is to control our kids and make them unhappy all the time. I don't think my job is to say no every minute. My job is to be a guide and to make sure I'm raising a healthy, happy, and safe little boy. That's what we're doing."

http://www.mynorthwest.com/category..."My-Princess-Boy"-author-addresses-criticism/

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I'd be curious what her job was before she became an "author". Maybe you can find out for me. I bet she didn't have much going for her. [/QUOTE]

I put on my internet detective hat and, although I can't find her or her husband's job, I did find their four bedroom house in Seattle that's worth around 250K+. That along with the fact they sent her kids to daycare...I can bet they were doing ok.

housev.jpg

[quote name='Stoic Person Eater']I'm sure her "publicist" and his psychiatrist made that statement all the much easier to deliver for the television newscast, especially since they have recently come under scrutiny for their story.[/QUOTE]

Considering that's the first time they were on TV (from what I can tell) and the clip that went viral/got them on the Today Show, I doubt it.

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you are typing a response to that torrent of words, please refresh your page before posting. I did edit it a little bit.

[quote name='speedracer']Both my brothers wanted and got Cabbage Patch dolls as kids and they're both fine. There's no reason to stop kids from being kids.

javery is a fucking outstanding parent and I commend you, dude.[/QUOTE]
I remember thinking my cousin's easy bake oven was pretty cool. Even if I did want to stick creepy crawlers in it to see if they'd melt...

[quote name='Sporadic']I put on my internet detective hat and, although I can't find her or her husband's job, I did find their four bedroom house in Seattle that's worth around 250K+. That along with the fact they sent her kids to daycare...I can bet they were doing ok. [.[/QUOTE]

I don't mean to derail, but This doesn't mean a thing.

I hate her because she has cankles.

This is a tough issue. I really don't give a shit I guess, though if the kid doesn't grow up to be gay I feel sorry for how big of a deal his mom made this stuff because he will be subject to sooo much ridicule.

Though off topic a bit, I will say this , out of the LGBT movement, the one that confuses me the most is the T. I don't think people choose to be gay or bi, I think they're born that way. Still, how could you be born the wrong sex?

It shocked me to learn that pink was associated with boys from 1920-1940's. I don't know why. To me it seems so girly. I guess I've been conditioned.

I'd love to see a poll about how many people think this kid is going to end up homosexual. I get "phases" but this is...more than a phase IMO.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Don't you hate pants?
41785_2204920024_4286_n.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I love that episode. I thought the side bit about Homer hating pants was hilarious too.

bread's done
Back