Prizes and tax

jumbo11

CAGiversary!
Anyone knows who this works?

Example:

I won an Xbox from Amazon. I submitted a tax to Amazon (item was over $500). Amazon reported the item to IRS (or something like that).

Do I have to do anything now? I've never been in a situation like this. Thanks

You definitely do pay tax on prizes, even if obtained free of charge to you; that's why some people can't accept new cars as prizes since they can't afford the thousand-or so tax bill that comes with the vehicle.

What do you mean, "submitted a tax"? A tax form?

yes, sorry, a tax form.

So pretty much, I just put the amount of the prize on the tax form in the appropriate field?

How much is the charge? same as the sales tax if I bought it?

Sorry for the questions. never done this before.

hahahah that's sucks man Canada does not have to do taxes on prices or lottery for that fact it's all ours!

[quote name='jumbo11']yes, sorry, a tax form.

So pretty much, I just put the amount of the prize on the tax form in the appropriate field?

How much is the charge? same as the sales tax if I bought it?

Sorry for the questions. never done this before.[/QUOTE]

Taxes on prize value are much higher than sales tax...expect about a 25% tax amount if it has to be submitted to the IRS.

It's taxed as income for federal taxes, correct?

The question I have is will it count towards state income tax as well as federal income tax. If Amazon doesn't charge you sales tax then I guess you don't have to pay state income tax on it.

[quote name='jumbo11']Anyone knows who this works?

Example:

I won an Xbox from Amazon. I submitted a tax to Amazon (item was over $500). Amazon reported the item to IRS (or something like that).

Do I have to do anything now? I've never been in a situation like this. Thanks[/quote]
I didn't know Amazon did contests. That's cool. I need to check there more often.

Congratulations by the way!

Crap. So, in a Non-CAG contest through bravo, I won $5000 earlier '07, and promptly spent most of it on video games and concert tickets and, you know, rent. Anyone have an informed guess on how much my taxes may be? I'm a student, and never made enough to have to pay taxes before...

Yeah, taxes on prizes suck. I won a $1000 prize a few years ago and when I got the tax bill for it I was in shock at how much it was. I don't recall now, but it was at least a couple hundred dollars. Luckilly there's something called a "fair market value" clause in taxes and I used that to get the price of the item down to like $600 (it was electronics, so it was selling for far less than the MSRP by the time I'd gotten it hence the price adjustment). Paying tax on the smaller amount wasn't as painful, but still sucked.

I think the only time tax is taken out of the prize itself is if the prize is cash and not an item. Look at powerball for instance, as of this posting it's at $95 million, but that's only a $47.5 million cash value.

Damn... I didn't know that taxes were that much on prize winnings. Now I'm afraid to see how much I'll have to pay in taxes for the laptop I won summer of last year.:whistle2:(

You probably submitted a W-9 to Amazon so they can issue you the correct 1099 for the value of the prize you won. That's taxable income that you'll claim on your tax return Form 1040 Line 21.

bread's done
Back