probably going to jump...[Use PS3 101 Thread above]

Status
Not open for further replies.

rscaramelo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
51 (100%)
I'm on the verge of switching to PS3 after my 3rd RROD with 360. I've been looking for a one of the models with BC but am rethinking this because of high costs. I have a practically new PSTwo already. I don't see myself selling it because at the most I could get 60-70 bucks for it...what's that a game and a half on the PS3? Why spend all that extra for BC if I've got a PSTwo. If the PSTwo craps out on me it's under 100 bucks to grab another one. At $400 a brand new 40gb probably makes most sense. I have found some 80gb models new at some reliable retailers but that's pushing me over 500.

Am I thinking straight here? Also who has the best policy's if something does go wring with my new PS3? I was thinking Target since it's $30 for a 2 year product replacement plan.

Thanks in advance,

RC

Costco and Sam's both have better coverage than any big box store. No cost lifetime warranty. You may need to buy a membership, but you won't need to buy an extended warranty.

Keeping the PS2 is a smart choice, particularly if you play Guitar Hero 1 or 2. The 80GB BC is very good (and better than most people think), but it isn't perfect. Given that, and the $70 you'd get for the PStwo, you're basically paying a net increase of $30 to be able to play about 30% fewer PS2 games at home. Get a 40GB.

[quote name='mykevermin']Keeping the PS2 is a smart choice, particularly if you play Guitar Hero 1 or 2. The 80GB BC is very good (and better than most people think), but it isn't perfect. Given that, and the $70 you'd get for the PStwo, you're basically paying a net increase of $30 to be able to play about 30% fewer PS2 games at home. Get a 40GB.[/QUOTE]
But you also have one less system cluttering up your house, one less connection to make to your receiver, one less macro to program on your universal remote and upscaling of your games on the PS3. It's not a simple equation, really. If the choice were mine to make, I'd get rid of the PS2 just to simplify my life.

[quote name='mykevermin']If that's important to the OP, he probably wouldn't have considered keeping the PS2.[/QUOTE]
Just because he didn't mention it in the OP doesn't mean it's not important. Just like you mentioned the need for a PS2 to play GH1/2 even though he didn't say a thing about them. And, besides, other people read these threads looking for opinions. Just trying to get all sides out there. :)

If you do want to spend a little more for BC, you can probably find a bundle at Sam's or Costco. I know all the ones by me have 60GB bundles with a game (usually Motorstorm or Resistance), second controller, and HDMI cable (forget if they also have the Blu-Ray remote) for around $550. It's a bit more than the 40GBs, but you get a LOT more with it, and as mentioned previously, a free or very cheap extended warranty.

If you can wait, you could always sell the PS2 now and pick up the MGS 80 GB PS3 bundle in June. For $500 you'd get the system, a new DS3 controller, and MGS 4. If you plan on getting MGS4, selling the PS2 for $70 or so and picking up this bundle would actually save you some money, plus you'd have less clutter.

Before deciding though, I'd recommend going to the Official Sony site and making sure all of the PS2 games you are planning to keep have no issues playing on the 80 GB PS3.

The slim PS2 is tiny so that won't be much of an issue with me but of coarse I'd rather consolidate everything into one. Having 2 could be a plus especially if my wife want me to move the PS3 into our den to watch movies on it, then I could keep the PS2 in my office/gaming room. Sam's and Costco are a little haul from me, we have BJ's here in town so I may give them a buzz. I wish eStarland had them since I have a ton of credit there.

RC

Yeah, just get a 40GB. It runs a lot cooler than any other SKU (really quiet too I believe) and will keep your power bill down (well, not make a huge difference, but you know what I mean). Unless you badly want PS2 upscaling (which is a hit or miss IMO, some games look good while others do not), just stick to the PS2. It will play all PS2 games without issues while any other SKU is a hit or miss (even the 20GB/60GB have some issues with some games). The PS3 does play PS1 games well (any SKU).

40GB is cheaper and gives you everything you need. Only go with 80GB if you want:
-SACD playback
-Memory Stick Pro, Compact Flash, and SD Card readers
-2 Extra USB ports without having to buy a HUB
-PS2 BC

The 40GB is definitely quieter than the 80GB.

buy it online somewhere like amazon so you don't have to pay taxes or shipping. That'll save you at least 25 bucks.

I say keep em. I live with my g/f in a cardboard box (625 sq ft 2 room apartment) and I've considered buying an extra gamecube or PS2 to put in the bedroom because if one of us is watching TV or gaming, the other one is left with nothing to do.

You can still find 60s here and there. I'd recommend calling some of your local blockbusters.

This grants you FULL BC and will cost $450+tax

[quote name='daminion']You can still find 60s here and there. I'd recommend calling some of your local blockbusters.

This grants you FULL BC and will cost $450+tax[/QUOTE]In my area, 60GB consoles are completely gone and the last time I saw one (back in November 07), it was still $500.

[quote name='the3rdkey']I thought this was a suicide thread lol. Just keep your PS2 and get a the cheapest P3.[/QUOTE]

It may be when the credit card bill comes in.

RC

Search around for the 10% off Kmart coupon that expires at the end of this month. It works on PS3's, $40 off and you can use the $40 saved to get the 3 year service plan from K-mart. (It doesn't take over, it is cumulative so you get 4 years of warranty)

They had an 80GB at my Kmart, so I could've gotten the 80GB with Motorstorm for $449, but I didn't care about BC and have Motorstorm for free.

K-Mart probably won't be around in 3 years to honor the warranty. Extended warranties are a waste of money except on the 360. Use a decent credit card and you often will get an additional year of warranty on you stuff. Save your money.

You know I'd say get a PS3 80gb system. Right now.. it would be good for you to have a 40gb system, but in the future, once you stop playing PS2 games and its "every now and then" that you go back to play PS2 games, you're not going to want to have to hook up another system just to play some old games. Also, once you buy a system, you're not going to want to go back and buy another if you're not pleased with the lesser model.

Its the same dilemma I had on launch day.. 60gb or 20gb. But I say if you're going to buy something... get the best model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back