Problem: Comp fails to start windows up right...

abcme

CAGiversary!
ok, I've been having this problem for a long long time.

my P3 comp used to run at 800mhz, but then I've noticed the comp restarts itself if I just left it there...

I didn't do anything about it cuz I didn't think it was a big deal... Then, after a few weeks, windows wasn't able to start up, it's during that windows loading bar. The bar would go like halfway and the power would get filcked off and the comp restarts(kinda like it ran outta juice halfway).

so now I have to run my comp at 500mhz, so windows would start up, and even at that, the comp still restarts 2-3 times at the windows loading screen before it's able to start windows up.

help~~~

and I'm pretty sure it's not a virus, sounds more hardware ish problem.

Yes, sounds like a hardware problem.

My first suspicion is that your power supply has gone bad, or is insufficient. Try getting a replacement (power supplies are usually pretty cheap), and see if that helps.

Moxio's suggestion seems dead on. The only other thing I'd look at is fan/cooling. After power supply, a machine getting too hot will shut down/reboot itself occassionally in my experience.

Check those two things. If you replace both and still have issues, do a format (to eliminate any virus possibilities).

Before dropping the cash on a new power supply, I'd do the following:
(1) Start Windows in safe mode and run msconfig. Uncheck all of the unnecessary startup stuff and try booting up in Windows. Keep restarting and adding bootup stuff through msconfig - it is possible, though not as likely, that there's some kind of software conflict. If you can figure out the conflicting software, you can keep it from booting and crashing your system. Stranger things have happened!
(2) Try running Speedfan (google it) to check your CPU's temp - if it's over 60 degrees Celsius, you probably have a problem.

That said, it does sound like a power supply problem - but dropping fifty bucks for one and finding out that it's something else entirely would be a hassle.

[quote name='jimbodan']Ha! For what? To downgrade to an inferior piece of junk?[/QUOTE]

Good one. :roll:

OP, search for MemTest and run that to check if your RAM is ok.

Power supply is bad, Id have to agree with the others see if you can borrow one from sombody to test this theory. I had a similar problem with a A64 and a 250watt power supply.

hmm, well I found out that I can get a PSU easy.

I'm kinda hardware noob, so is there anything I need to be aware of when install the PSU?

cuz I don't wanna fry my motherboard or anything.

After changing my PSU, my comp still acts the same way.

I also vacuumed all the dust out that was all over my motherboard.

What else could be wrong?

Could it be that I overclocked it wrong?

I think I had similar problems before. If you're willing to lose everything on your hard drive for a clean installation, keep reading.

This could be any of various problems... a motherboard incompatibility, a corrupted hard drive (leading the computer to believe there is no operating system after it boots), or BIOS corruption as well. You could try resetting the CMOS battery, or trying a different, working hard drive with your computer.

about the corrupted hard drive, my windows actually starts up, that is if I set it to run at around 500mhz.

The biggest problem for me is when I run my comp at around 672mhz, the comp shuts off all of a sudden. Like I play a game(not browser games, more like cs, sc... anything that gets the comp to work a little) on it it'll be fine, but once I leave the comp there for a while, it restarts all of a sudden.

Worst is when I'm typing up a paper and the comp turns off.

Sounds like overclocking is killing your PC.

Also, are you sure you upgraded to a stronger PSU, rather than just a new one?

Overclocking? That's part of your problem. THe other half would be to re-apply a new layer of thermal paste. It's probably crusted up if you were doing a 300Mhz overclock. That like a 75% jump from 500Mhz so that chip musta been running REALLY hot.

Thx for merging the thread, I didn't think it'd still be around.

ok, the temp I get when I run at

500 mhz: CPU 33ºC/91ºF, System 31ºC/87ºF

672 mhz: Cpu 34ºC/93ºF, Sytem the same as 500mhz.

And about the PSU, no, I didn't upgrade to stronger one, but a new one of same model(I had this one free so was worth a try).

Other details..... When I turn on the comp, it has power but takes a while before it starts working. Sometimes I can hear clicking sounds coming from it before it starts working.

ok, I have looked around on google on overclocking info.

I found out that my processor is Coppermine(P3), but not sure of its speed. People say that Coppermines are capable of getting overclocked 33-66% faster than its original speed.

I've calculated that a 500 sped up 66% is 820.

So what are some common problems that cause overclocking failure?

bread's done
Back