Problem with Virtual Console display

zedrein

CAG Veteran
OK, first off I have a 20" Emerson flat-screen CRT (standard definition) TV set. I am plugging my Wii into the composite video jacks (RCA jacks, the yellow, red and white ones) The problem is: My virtual console games won't fit into the screen size. Here is an example:

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0000027sq2.jpg

Notice how Mario's stats are all cut off on the top? Not all my VC games are like this, but many are. So what is the solution? It's not my TV because I've tried this on another set with composite jacks and I had the exact same problems. Should I try S-VIDEO? Someone please help me out!!!

[quote name='Okari']Are you sure all your settings are correct?[/quote]

Well yes. I set my Wii so it displays video at a 4:3 ratio, I've even tried the widescreen option but that dosen't affect my Virtual Console games good or bad. Like I said, my Wii games like Wii sports, look fine, but many of my Virtual Console games are cut down.

Are you sure it's not just the TV?

Mine cuts off everything at the bottom of the screen, and there isn't anything I can do in either the TV settings or the console settings to compensate.

[quote name='Gothic Walrus']Are you sure it's not just the TV?

Mine cuts off everything at the bottom of the screen, and there isn't anything I can do in either the TV settings or the console settings to compensate.[/quote]

I don't think so, cause like I said: I've tried another television set to ensure that is not the problem and I had the EXACT SAME problem.

I think you can adjust that in the wii settings. You can at least move the screen around, I'm not sure if it has the option to adjust the size. If you can change the size then you can just shrink it a little vertically and it should be good.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Many TVs have that problem, It's called overscan. [/quote]

Hum, it just seems strange that I have two television sets that have the same problems when displaying the exact same software. I'm just going to have to buy a s-video adapter for my Wii and see what happens I guess.

Any possible way you can try out hooking up to a newer tv? Got a friend or relative or some such you could try?

My old TV used to do that. Playing Wind Waker was always sort of stupid, because I couldn't tell how much life I had.

[quote name='SpazX']I think you can adjust that in the wii settings. You can at least move the screen around, I'm not sure if it has the option to adjust the size. If you can change the size then you can just shrink it a little vertically and it should be good.[/quote]

Unfortunately, you can only adjust the picture horizontally (left to right) There is no option to adjust it vertically. I am just very confused as to why my TV will display some software (Wii Sports, Legend of Zelda titles, Double Dragon) perfectly, but some software it won't (Super Mario Bros. 1 & 3, Super Castlevania IV,) I really wonder if it's my composite video cables.

[quote name='Strell']Any possible way you can try out hooking up to a newer tv? Got a friend or relative or some such you could try?

My old TV used to do that. Playing Wind Waker was always sort of stupid, because I couldn't tell how much life I had.[/quote]

The television I own (pictured) is a 2004 model. If you are referring to an HD set, well...I don't know anyone that owns one actually.

I agree the problem is odd, to say the least. I mean if the settings aren't at 480p/widescreen and you're using a composite cable, then I'd like to think it would work in the same way with each game.

I do remember that - occasionally - my settings would get screwed up after upgrading my system's firmware, which required manually resetting them inside the system.

Not really sure what else to say/suggest in this case, unless you've got component hook-ups and could try that also.

Good luck.

[quote name='Kaijufan']Many TVs have that problem, It's called overscan. [/quote]

I appreciate your help but according to the wikipedia entry, Overscan is ADDITIONAL images that you should NOT be seeing. My problem is: There are images that I should be seeing that I am not, perhaps it could be called "underscanning"?

Damn you Google *shakes fist*

I was hoping I'd be all smart and snarky by searching for this problem elsewhere, but the first link is to this thread!

I did pick up a small tidbit worth trying - does you TV allow any kind of resolution changing? I.e., can you set it to "zoom" or "full" or "zoom fit" or anything like that? I can't remember if you had said you had or had not.

[quote name='Strell']Damn you Google *shakes fist*

I was hoping I'd be all smart and snarky by searching for this problem elsewhere, but the first link is to this thread!

I did pick up a small tidbit worth trying - does you TV allow any kind of resolution changing? I.e., can you set it to "zoom" or "full" or "zoom fit" or anything like that? I can't remember if you had said you had or had not.[/quote]

Sadly No it doesn't. I'm looking at the set now and I can see this black borders that a poster mentioned earlier, where my additional text and other images are being blocked by. I wish there was a way to reduce the border size or something. The "Picture" menu only allows for color, sharpness, and tint adjustment.

EDIT: I just have to ask. Where did that absurd picture in your AV come from? I nearly piss myself laughing everytime I glance at it!

[quote name='zedrein']I appreciate your help but according to the wikipedia entry, Overscan is ADDITIONAL images that you should NOT be seeing. My problem is: There are images that I should be seeing that I am not, perhaps it could be called "underscanning"?[/quote]
From what I understand overscan is part of the image you can't see. Usually TVs aren't perfectly calibrated so more of the image is cut off then it should be.

Underscan is the entire image with the extra parts of the image that you can't see.

The rear projection CRT HDTV I play games on has this problem. It's noticeable in Oblivion, where most of the green stamina bar is cut off and in GTA4 where most of the bottom line of text in subtitles is cut off.

[quote name='yourlefthand']my old SD tube tv puts some green blocks on the right side of Mario 3. Is this a common problem?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and here's a huge thread allllllll about it. There's a good bit of technical jargon there and a lot of explanation.

Essentially, it's a shortcoming of the way the NES rendered games that could allow vertical and horizontal scrolling. Apparently it was less noticeable back in the day because older sets would simply cut off the affected area, so you wouldn't see it.

The game is being emulated perfectly. So perfectly, in fact, that it is including these "errors" from the NES exactly. They aren't really errors per se, it's just the way the hardware rendered stuff on the screen.

So it's common in that - from what I understand - everyone should experience it. But it's not a true problem so much as it is an inconvenient occurrence.

Savvy?

Edit: I read a bit more in the thread, and it seems like people are suggesting messing with any options your TV might have for screen positioning, as it might be possible to eliminate the bar from being seen. Dunno if that helps you.

Pretty fascinating stuff, really. You'd like to think Nintendo would have taken it into account, but eh.

You're the man, Strell! I feel a lot better about it now. I also appreciate the pointer to vc-forums. I just got my wii a few weeks ago and didn't know about that site yet.

Thanks again!

UPDATE: All right all. I just upgraded from my standard composite cable to an s-video cable. The picture looks much sharper and cleaner, but I am still having troubles with the black borders. I wish I could just open up the damned screen and take those bastards off!!! If anyone has any suggestion at all, please feel free to say what's on your mind. I'd really rather not have to buy a new tv, but I may just.

bread's done
Back