problems with windos xp service pack 3 will not instal right!

tigerthecat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
0 (0%)
hi i was downloading xp sp3 and after that when i tryed to restart it said something was wrong. i was doing this to update my video drivers for hl2. so i started in safe mode or what ever and i uninstalled the service pack. Next morning, desktop goes blood red with a hasard signed. now it says i have a shit ton of viruses. now i know i dont have any because i use AVG free cause im cheap. realizing this is a scam to make me buy way to exspencive software. now ive had this problem before and the only way to fix it is to "recover" my pc. i use quotastion marks because all my settings are destroyed. so after re instaling my printer ( this is why the manuals say keep the install disk now i know) all my info on the websites i viseted. gone. now i was wondering how hard it would be to dual boot windos xp on a mac scince macs dont break like windows. my other question is if service pack 2 would be enough to play hl2? thanks cag

uh, make sure you're actually getting SP3 from Microsoft...

and of course HL2 works under SP2. HL2 was released in like what, 2004? SP3 was released only this year. And for Macs, install bootcamp to be able to run Windows alongside Mac OS

This is why I'm staying away from SP3 for another couple of months.

I've never done a dual boot from OSX, but a lot of folks from another gaming community told me it was easy now with the newest OSX update (I was considering the same thing before I realized macs are overpriced). And I have stories about breaking macs. All it took was 15 minutes and a 12 year old and it was bombed.

Yes, HL2 will run on SP2.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']Time to format the drive and reinstall windows. :)[/quote]
yeah i recently had to do that now i know why every one wants a mac :cry::cry::cry:

Right-click My Computer to see the Windows version.

And I haven't gone to SP3 yet after hearing about all the problems (auto-reboot and such). Never be an early adopter.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']Right-click My Computer to see the Windows version.

And I haven't gone to SP3 yet after hearing about all the problems (auto-reboot and such). Never be an early adopter.[/quote]
no not al my problems are from sp3 every six months have to reboot and recover because it says i have viruses when i dont and they just want my money

[quote name='tigerthecat']no not al my problems are from sp3 every six months have to reboot and recover because it says i have viruses when i dont and they just want my money[/quote]

Sounds like spyware to me.

Go to linux.

Seriously though, it sounds like spyware to me. Just be wary when surfing the net, maybe get something like ad-aware and consider using firewall (Comodo), sandboxie, etc. if your hardware firewall isn't sufficient.

AVG sucks, but it's probably the best AV out there that's free. I would rather much prefer NOD32 for my Windows, however it's not free.

[quote name='option.iv']Go to linux.

Seriously though, it sounds like spyware to me. Just be wary when surfing the net, maybe get something like ad-aware and consider using firewall (Comodo), sandboxie, etc. if your hardware firewall isn't sufficient.

AVG sucks, but it's probably the best AV out there that's free. I would rather much prefer NOD32 for my Windows, however it's not free.[/QUOTE]

Avast! is the best free antivirus out there

[quote name='n25philly']actually it sounds like an idiot to me[/quote]
I hope you meant him. After all, my ego is a delicate flower! :bouncy:

[quote name='n25philly']Avast! is the best free antivirus out there[/quote]
This.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I hope you meant him. After all, my ego is a delicate flower! :bouncy:

This.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I meant him

new to the place hope some one can help because I am about to do bad things to my computer. I play Neverwinter Nights and after my husband accepted the automatic Windows update sp3, my NWN has been slow and choppy. I thought it was the game but after an uninstall and reload it still slow. Can I just uninstall sp3, it is listed in the Add/remove program list?
spitfyre

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='plasticbathmonki']I hope you meant him. After all, my ego is a delicate flower! :bouncy:

This.[/quote]

I concur. Avast! Has save my butt so many times now thanks to the active scanner.

bread's done
Back