Prof. Layton and the Curious Village, or Prof. Layton and the Diabolical Box?

yarkitty123

CAGiversary!
I really like Level-5's games - they seem to have this sort of spell-binding "warmness" to them that I just can't put my finger on. A lot of their games just seem so innocent, lush and alive. And so the fact that I haven't played any of these games - and the fact that a 3rd game is on the way soon - is actually kind of starting to grate. Only thing is, I'm not really sure which game to start with. I already know that I don't need to play the first game in order to be "in the loop" as it were. I already read about how everything is re-introduced very well so there's no real way I'd feel "lost" or anything. I'd just like to know which game people think is "better" - feature/story-wise.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Diabolical Box. So, save for this supposed "hamster" bit, what other new features does the sequel bring to the table? If the sequel contains a few more features and is more streamlined, then I'm probably going to go with that. I also read that you can download new puzzles via Wi-fi on a weekly basis (seriously?), and well, I just assume given the "age" of the first game, the whole Wi-fi thing must be dead and/or dropped completely. But that's just an assumption. I really have no idea.

So, what say you - should I get Curious Village or Diabolical Box? I am in a "puzzling" kind of mood.

I don't think you can go wrong either way. Both games are very enjoyable, and the setup and execution are quite similar. After reading your post, I've been sitting here trying to decide which of the two was my favorite. I'm having a hard time deciding. I guess I'd lean slightly toward Curious Village, but I think that's only because it was the one I played first. No matter how much you enjoy the games, there almost can't help but be a slight "more of the same" feeling the second time around, even if more of the same is a good thing. The newness of the experience is replaced by familiarity.

Do you think you'll eventually play both? If so, you might be able to find Curious Village a bit cheaper than Diabolical Box, if only because it's an older title. Whichever one you choose, I have a feeling you'll want to play the other one as soon as you finish.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the 3rd game. So given the fact that I want to play one of the games right this minute, no matter which way I go, I'll eventually have 2 games. And I know that will in turn make me say "screw it" and just go for all 3.

So, that being said, given the fact that I can get Curious Village a bit cheaper, I might as well play them all in order...which would really have no point...but I guess it would sort of give me a feeling of "neatness" in my mind, playing them in order. I'm weird like that.

Curious Village it is.

[quote name='yarkitty123'] So, that being said, given the fact that I can get Curious Village a bit cheaper, I might as well play them all in order...which would really have no point...but I guess it would sort of give me a feeling of "neatness" in my mind, playing them in order. I'm weird like that. [/QUOTE]I know exactly what you mean. Given a set of anything, whether it be movies, games, books, episodes of a TV show- if I know they're numbered, but the order I experience them in makes no difference, I'll almost always do them in order anyway. I'm weird like that, too. :)

Having played Diabolical Box before Curious Village myself, I would not recommend doing it. If you pay close attention to the story at the beginning of DB, there are a few things that might spoil some plot twists in CV. I apparently didn't pay much attention as I am now playing DB again and just now realize all the back references to the first game.

Curious Village is a much better game, IMO. Diabolical Box was more confining (you were limited to a train for part of the game in DB, whereas you had complete freedom to roam in CV). DB also seemed a bit more linear in the order you had to complete some of the puzzles. And the puzzles in CV were more varied; DB relied more on numerical puzzles.

[quote name='yarkitty123']Thing is, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy the 3rd game. So given the fact that I want to play one of the games right this minute, no matter which way I go, I'll eventually have 2 games. And I know that will in turn make me say "screw it" and just go for all 3.

So, that being said, given the fact that I can get Curious Village a bit cheaper, I might as well play them all in order...which would really have no point...but I guess it would sort of give me a feeling of "neatness" in my mind, playing them in order. I'm weird like that.

Curious Village it is.[/QUOTE]

I also have to play everything in order, even if the stories are completely separate. (Is this the case for the Prof. Layton games?)

bread's done
Back