Proporta Silicone DS Case Skins (56k warning)

scdoanintendo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
This case was recently released in the USA. I imported it about a month or two ago and relized that you can create a top skin for it. Here's an example from www.dsrevolution.com

example:
http://dsrevolution.com/review.php?type=hardware&reviewid=58

I was thinking if enough people on the boards get this then we can create skins for it similar to the Logitech PSP case.

Here are some scans of the front and back

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/scdoanintendo/guard2.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/scdoanintendo/guard1.jpg

Here's a seller on ebay selling them for $10 shipped out of Hong Kong

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

If you have any questions Post or PM me.

Example ( Thanks to Amano )

[quote name='Amano']
dsskin-soma01results.jpg

There's what my skin looks like finished (sorry about the glare and the poor picture quality; I only have a cellphone camera to use).

There is one problem, and it is with the logo as I mentioned before. Take a closer peek here:

DSskin-logoproblem.jpg

For some reason, when I print out only the logo, it ends up smaller than the small slot in the plastic shown above. But when I print it out on an image, it ends up larger. Can't quite figure out what the problem is.

Here's the skin I just whipped up using the same Soma picture I did before.

DSskin-Soma01.jpg

My steps:

*If your graphic editor permits, create a 13cm (centemeter) X 7cm blank canvas (also 369x198 pixels).
*Open your image of choice, shrink/enlargen to your needs.
*Make a selection the same size as your blank canvas (also 369x198 pixels), select the desired area of the image, copy, then paste into the blank canvas.
*Create another new canvas with a White Background and the dimensions of 7cmx1cm (also 198x28 pixels).
*Copy, then paste that white block into the canvas with your skin image.
*Keep the white block up top, and align it to the center of the top of the canvas.
*Create another white block canvas with the height of .5cm (also 14 pixels); width doesn't matter (just make sure you can see it).
*Copy, then paste the new .5cm white block to your main skin canvas, move it to the bottom, and align it to the center (or close to).
*Next, take this image (
ndslogofilled.gif
), copy, then paste it into your main skin canvas.
*Place the Nintendo Logo image right above your .5cm white spacer (so their edges are touching), and align that to the center horizontally (the same way with the two white spacers).
*Delete the bottom, .5cm white block spacer.
*Merge all elements (base image, top white-block spacer, & Nintendo Logo), and save.
*Print and shove in your case.[/QUOTE]

Looks pretty interesting. Any idea if the eBay item is the same maker/quality? I emailed the seller to see if he would combine shipping. I'll let you know his response/

[quote name='banpeikun']Looks pretty interesting. Any idea if the eBay item is the same maker/quality? I emailed the seller to see if he would combine shipping. I'll let you know his response/[/QUOTE]

To my knowledge the one from ebay is the exact same thing down to the cuts for the stylus. The only bad thing about Hong Kong seller is waiting to receive the item.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']To my knowledge the one from ebay is the exact same thing down to the cuts for the stylus. The only bad thing about Hong Kong seller is waiting to receive the item.[/QUOTE]

could you give us some impressions of your own?

what dont you like about it? (if anything)

[quote name='undyingforce5']could you give us some impressions of your own?

what dont you like about it? (if anything)[/QUOTE]

It's a bit bulky and the backside handles could of been left out.

Okay I think I finally got the skin size down all I need now is to input the nintendo symbol on the skin in the middle.

560A0114.jpg

560A0115.jpg

The skin used is a Castlevania DS wallpaper.

This case looks awesome. And props for the nicer C:DoS art as a skin. I'm ordering one right now - think you may disclose those proportions after your experimenting is complete? Custom skins out of anything (if you have a printer) is just too nice of an idea. Plus having the added "padding" on the bottom seems to help the comfort issue.

[quote name='Amano']This case looks awesome. And props for the nicer C:DoS art as a skin. I'm ordering one right now - think you may disclose those proportions after your experimenting is complete? Custom skins out of anything (if you have a printer) is just too nice of an idea. Plus having the added "padding" on the bottom seems to help the comfort issue.[/QUOTE]

Yea since I perfected the top skin all I need now is to scan it. I'll scan a couple this weekend. I might work on putting a small logo of the nintendo symbol on the top and work on a bottom skin. Does anyone have a pic of the circular nintendo logo similar to this

http://pokemonacademy.free.fr/_lesite/_news/Nintendo-logo.jpg

Sorry I haven't had much time to print out new skins but the skins I did print out I plan on lamenating . My next skins are probably going to be of Mario Kart DS, Princess Peach DS, and probably some non-gaming related art. Has any of the other CAGs that ordered the case made any skins?

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Yea since I perfected the top skin all I need now is to scan it. I'll scan a couple this weekend. I might work on putting a small logo of the nintendo symbol on the top and work on a bottom skin. Does anyone have a pic of the circular nintendo logo similar to this

http://pokemonacademy.free.fr/_lesite/_news/Nintendo-logo.jpg[/QUOTE]That link doesn't work for me, but if it's the Nintendo seal of quality, you can get it from the online game manuals from nintendo.com (a vector one)

[quote name='scdoanintendo']It's exactly like this picture but I need it rounded not squared.

logo_nintendo.gif
[/QUOTE]Do you just want the white space outside the logo transparent?

Wow, that looks bad. If that's the one you want, I'll clean it up for ya. Just let me know. Or something.

That one's much better. Hope that helps.

Oh, and I just got my case in the mail today. I'm excited. I'll start messing with skins after midterms.

ok I got one, I hope it turns out to be as cool as I hope. And if we are able to create skins for it that is just a bounus.

Does this case help aleviate hand crampong for people who have that when using their DS? Is there something similar for the SP?

I'd buy one if the seller took other payments besides paypal. The case doesn't go over the top screen right?

EDIT: Maybe it does....

[quote name='The VGM']I'd buy one if the seller took other payments besides paypal. The case doesn't go over the top screen right?

EDIT: Maybe it does....[/QUOTE]

The case only covers the exterior of the DS. I does not shield the inside screens or buttons.

[quote name='Daroga'] Does this case help aleviate hand crampong for people who have that when using their DS? Is there something similar for the SP? [/QUOTE]

I not sure of the cramping thing but I was able to find the same style case for the GBA from a UK seller on ebay.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']I not sure of the cramping thing but I was able to find the same style case for the GBA from a UK seller on ebay.[/QUOTE]

Still have the link?

[quote name='Amano']
ndslogo.gif

Wow, that looks bad. If that's the one you want, I'll clean it up for ya. Just let me know. Or something.

ndslogofilled.gif

That one's much better. Hope that helps.

Oh, and I just got my case in the mail today. I'm excited. I'll start messing with skins after midterms.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. Here's the link for the GBA case

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8220061153&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

It seemed like a promo item since I received it and it had a FFXII symbol on it.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Thanks, that's exactly what I needed. Here's the link for the GBA case

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8220061153&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

It seemed like a promo item since I received it and it had a FFXII symbol on it.[/QUOTE]No problem. I made a quick skin with Kojima's Soma from Aria of Sorrow, but I'm still trying to get the measurements correct. I'm also trying to figure out where I need to make a dip in the design for the space where the DS top folds over.

I did discover with the Nintendo logos that they're a little large if you're looking for a similar size that might fit in that little dip in the case. If I can manage to alter the size down to fit inside of it, I'll upload and post it here.

No problem. There are some other anti-shock sleeves available that don't have the emblem on the top, and making square custom skins is a helluva lot easier than DS ones, I imagine. I'll pick one up with my next pay.

[quote name='Amano']I did discover with the Nintendo logos that they're a little large if you're looking for a similar size that might fit in that little dip in the case. If I can manage to alter the size down to fit inside of it, I'll upload and post it here.[/QUOTE]

Nevermind. I forgot I stretched my image because I was in a hurry. ¬ ¬ It's actually too small. I printed out the normal image size, cut it, and plopped it in the indentation, and it just barely floats around in the hole. I'll be satisfied with it for the time being, because it's not that noticeable. Now if I can just figure out where on the image to plop it so it comes out decent. Yesh, I ramble. Sorry.

[quote name='Amano']No problem. I made a quick skin with Kojima's Soma from Aria of Sorrow, but I'm still trying to get the measurements correct. I'm also trying to figure out where I need to make a dip in the design for the space where the DS top folds over.

I did discover with the Nintendo logos that they're a little large if you're looking for a similar size that might fit in that little dip in the case. If I can manage to alter the size down to fit inside of it, I'll upload and post it here.[/QUOTE]

Please post w/pics when you make your skin, thanks.

There's what my skin looks like finished (sorry about the glare and the poor picture quality; I only have a cellphone camera to use).

There is one problem, and it is with the logo as I mentioned before. Take a closer peek here:

For some reason, when I print out only the logo, it ends up smaller than the small slot in the plastic shown above. But when I print it out on an image, it ends up larger. Can't quite figure out what the problem is.

My steps:

*If your graphic editor permits, create a 13cm (centemeter) X 7cm blank canvas (also 369x198 pixels).
*Make a selection the same size as your blank canvas (also 369x198 pixels), select the desired area of the image, copy, then paste into the blank canvas.
*Create another new canvas with a White Background and the dimensions of 7cmx1cm (also 198x28 pixels).
*Keep the white block up top, and align it to the center of the top of the canvas.
*Create another white block canvas with the height of .5cm (also 14 pixels); width doesn't matter (just make sure you can see it).
*Copy, then paste the new .5cm white block to your main skin canvas, move it to the bottom, and align it to the center (or close to).
*Next, take this image ( ), copy, then paste it into your main skin canvas.
*Place the Nintendo Logo image right above your .5cm white spacer (so their edges are touching), and align that to the center horizontally (the same way with the two white spacers).
*Merge all elements (base image, top white-block spacer, & Nintendo Logo), and save.
*Print and shove in your case.

[quote name='Amano']
dsskin-soma01results.jpg

DSskin-logoproblem.jpg

DSskin-Soma01.jpg

My steps:

*Next, take this image (
ndslogofilled.gif
), copy, then paste it into your main skin canvas.
*Print and shove in your case.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the info and moved to front page. I'll work on some other skins this coming Thurs-Friday and hopefully fix the Nintendo logo.

bread's done
Back