PS 3 Deals?? 40 or 80 GB??

Chrisr291

CAGiversary!
I have the money right now to buy a PS3 but i'm not sure which version I should get. Do I need the 40 or 80gb ps 3 for my gaming needs?

Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe playing games online with this system is free right?

The best deal i've seen is at walmart.... its 499 and you get a game of your choice, 40gb ps3 and a extra ps3 controller.

The reason why i'm waiting is because of the MGS version thats coming in a few weeks. 499 for the 80gb, the new ps 3 controller and of course... metal gear .

Should I wait.... buy the walmart bundle... or do you guys have a sweet deal I don't know about? Any help would be great.... THANKS!

Walmart deal is a ripoff. You only save about $10.

I say wait for the MGS4 version and get a free game that you probably won't be able to buy at a cheap price and a DS3.

[quote name='Hostile']

I say wait for the MGS4 version and get a free game that you probably won't be able to buy at a cheap price and a DS3.[/quote]

If you're going to buy MGS4 I second this. It's what I'm going to wait for.

The only problem with waiting for the MGS version, is well, you have to wait lol. It doesnt come out until June when the game comes out. You're not really going to find any deals with it right now as its selling well and has momentum from the high def DVD war. They're not even expecting another price drop until Fall at the earliest now. If you can handle the wait, by all means jump on the MGS pack, but if you want one now theres plenty of options.

I got a 40 GB this past Monday and could not be happier with it. Base it on what you value as a gamer.

If backwards compatibility is important to you get a 80 GB. I personally have a PS2 collecting dust and upscaling does not help PS2 games all that much on the PS3 (in fact makes them worse in some ways). A 40 GB is plenty of space right now and for 399, its a good deal, I can always upgrade the HDD later. If you were looking at the 80 but can pass on BC, you can get the 40, a game and an extra controller for about the price of the 80 (not including tax). You can always look to get a used second controller and a used game off the bat and save more money.

All online is free, aside of course if you want to download stuff like game addons/map packs, but multiplayer/demo downloads etc. is entirely free.

So the walmart deal is a rip off? I thought it was ok until I noticed you had to add 20 bucks to the price for newer games.

[quote name='Chrisr291']So the walmart deal is a rip off? I thought it was ok until I noticed you had to add 20 bucks to the price for newer games.[/quote]

Yea just do the math, they dont really cut you a big break on that package. I wouldnt say its a "ripoff", its just not much of a deal. Walmart is usually terrible for deals.

Right now, theres really no one retailer thats doing any sort of deal on the PS3 because its selling. A few weeks ago Target had a deal where you'd get a $40 gift card with the purchase, but they've stopped.

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Yea just do the math, they dont really cut you a big break on that package. I wouldnt say its a "ripoff", its just not much of a deal. Walmart is usually terrible for deals.

Right now, theres really no one retailer thats doing any sort of deal on the PS3 because its selling. A few weeks ago Target had a deal where you'd get a $40 gift card with the purchase, but they've stopped.[/quote]

Really? I missed the boat on that one then. I have a 360 but i've just recently gotten the urge to buy the PS3. The 360 just keeps on freezing and i've had it....

Me and my roommate get into some intense NCAA Football 08 battles... and it just sucks that the outcome is decided by some freezing crap game system. I would love the 360 if it worked the way it was suppose too but it only seems to freeze on madden and ncaa football for some reason. Bioshock, COD4, Gears of war never freeze on me. However, I would say that I play football games 80 percent of the time i'm playing games so its a problem.

Does the PS3 freeze or have any hangups I should be aware of? I'd lose my mind if this thing crapped out on me after spending the 500 bucks needed to aquire it.

I have both as well and have been lucky that I havent run into any 360 problems, aside from Crackdown not wanting to work sometimes (3 different copies).

As for the PS3, the failure rate is much much much lower. I have only had mine for 5 days so its been perfect thus far in that regard, but with any piece of electronic equipment "something" could technically go wrong, but its not a worry with the PS3 like it can be with the 360. Don't sweat it. Even if it did go wrong on you, just hold on to your receipt. If nothing happens after a few weeks, you'll likely be fine for most of its lifespan. Sony is pretty reliable like that. I've had the same launch fat PS2 since the day it came out and have never had a problem with it, not even a dirty disc error.

Thats amazing! My PS2 crapped out a couple of times but my third console worked well until I sold it a few years ago.

I'm leaning towards buy.com now because I got the 20 dollar couple in my email in box and I can use it on the PS3. Not that 20 bucks is a big deal but I also don't have to pay taxes on it, which saves me another 40-50 bucks. Its a 40 gb model thou... what do you think?

Well, I ended up buying the PS3 40gb from Buy.com. I got the 20 dollar google check out coupon and no taxes which was nice. I ended up playing something like 413 with an extra Controller.

On a side note, I used free shipping... which said 5-9 days but its already at the office. Which is weird because I only ordered it on monday!

I brought Unreal Tournament 3 on Half and I'll probably go pick up a game tonight. Can't WAIT!!! WWWWWWOOOOOOOO

bread's done
Back