PS+ Auto Update problem

Abear21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
So every night for the last couple weeks I get corrupted data at 4 or 5 am when my PS3 auto updates my game saves to online storage.

I'm not sure what's causing this but I'm worried. I'm no tech expert but there may be two contributing factors. First off I did update/replace the hard drive from the 160 (reg slim) to a 500 gig western digital. Secondly, I have a bunch of uninstalled Vita games I'm saving on the PS3 for when I finally get a Vita (like ten titles). Everything else works perfectly and I just delete the corrupted data but, like I said, it worries me and I know its not normal.

Anyone else have any issues with corrupted data from auto update?

I had the same thing the other night, similar circumstances with upgraded HD and all the saved Vita titles. For me it was a power glitch with the crazy weather we've been having, not sure what would cause it to do this repeatedly.

Something like this happened to me. My PS3 would freeze during the auto-update (because of overheating? not sure. part of me thinks certain segments of the hard drive were at fault), which would occur when auto-update was doing long downloads. The same thing has happened when I've let it idle for some time while downloading. In any case, the freezing is what ended up causing the corruption for me. As a result, I don't let auto-update download anything big anymore-- I make sure to pause any major downloads before I turn it off for the night, to ensure auto-update won't have be running for long periods of time, and I haven't had it happen for months as a result.

If I remember correctly, I always woke up to a frozen, powered-on PS3 whenever that happened to me, so this might not apply to your situation at all if your PS3 is actually powering itself off properly after it does its auto-updates.

Hmmmm...thanks guys, its good to know its sort of a normal issue. I have a hunch its a faulty sector on the drive or perhaps a partial file that I deleted but the PS3 still thinks is there and is trying to back up. I'm thinking I'll just stop the auto update too, but it sucks paying for features that don't work properly. Really Playstation Plus is all about the free games but I love letting a game download and having it already installed the next day ready to play. Guess i should back my drive up just in case bc it would suck to have to download everything again.

It's a corrupted download that it's trying to install. The PS3 will try to install all downloads available that you haven't yet installed or a download that update session that completed but is corrupted.

[quote name='Abear21']Hmmmm...thanks guys, its good to know its sort of a normal issue. I have a hunch its a faulty sector on the drive or perhaps a partial file that I deleted but the PS3 still thinks is there and is trying to back up. I'm thinking I'll just stop the auto update too, but it sucks paying for features that don't work properly. Really Playstation Plus is all about the free games but I love letting a game download and having it already installed the next day ready to play. Guess i should back my drive up just in case bc it would suck to have to download everything again.[/QUOTE]

evening if u back up your drive to a HDD you can only use it on that system and no other system so back up all your saves too just in case

[quote name='Mad39er']It's a corrupted download that it's trying to install. The PS3 will try to install all downloads available that you haven't yet installed or a download that update session that completed but is corrupted.[/QUOTE]

Ok, so nothing to worry about in respects to my hard drive?

bread's done
Back