PS Classic Console $29.99 (OOS)

Still too much for what it is.
At minimum it is two PC/Raspberry Pi USB quality compatible controllers for $15 each, no tax or shipping. That is cheaper than one of the better SNES type pads from Buffalo (which is what I've been recommending to friends). And significantly cheaper than the 8bitdo options (which I admit are wireless). You also get a USB and HDMI cable. Even if you toss the (hackable) console and included game licenses in the trash as soon as you get it, it is still worth it.

At minimum it is two PC/Raspberry Pi USB quality compatible controllers for $15 each, no tax or shipping. That is cheaper than one of the better SNES type pads from Buffalo (which is what I've been recommending to friends). And significantly cheaper than the 8bitdo options (which I admit are wireless). You also get a USB and HDMI cable. Even if you toss the (hackable) console and included game licenses in the trash as soon as you get it, it is still worth it.
Even though I know this wasn’t what you were arguing, I think it should be noted that this isn’t Best Buy selling them for $30. It’s an eBay seller with a bad reputation, and you’re probably getting something that at best is a used console and at worst is a return nightmare.

Why would anyone want these controllers? If anything, if someone's hacking it they'll probably end up buying different controllers that have sticks. It'd be the last thing I'd buy it for

Why would anyone want these controllers? If anything, if someone's hacking it they'll probably end up buying different controllers that have sticks. It'd be the last thing I'd buy it for
For playing retro console games in particular (PC or Raspberry Pi notably), people playing console emulation almost certainly aren't looking for sticks. It can be hard to find decent solid controllers to do that, particularly for the price. Even the Buffalo pad (which is one of the best) is very light and feels a bit cheap. 8bitdo has some good options, but they add wireless lag and are more expensive. Original pads are hard to come by and require port converters to USB that add cost and lag.

A decent first party quality PS1 native USB controller is easily worth $15.

For playing retro console games in particular (PC or Raspberry Pi notably), people playing console emulation almost certainly aren't looking for sticks. It can be hard to find decent solid controllers to do that, particularly for the price. Even the Buffalo pad (which is one of the best) is very light and feels a bit cheap. 8bitdo has some good options, but they add wireless lag and are more expensive. Original pads are hard to come by and require port converters to USB that add cost and lag.

A decent first party quality PS1 native USB controller is easily worth $15.
For playing retro console games I stick to my DS4. It's wireless, the dpad is decent, and also works with PC + raspberry pi. I got a couple of them for $15 and $25 last November. I consider those much better options than a PS1 native USB controller. The only thing shitty about it is the battery life, but I suppose all controllers have some kind of flaw. I admit you can't get a DS4 for those prices anymore and I guess if you're on a budget you have a point that these are good enough for retro games. As far as console emulation goes.. I consider PS1 retro, and definitely would rather have sticks on my controller for games that play better with them. I suppose for 2D games it doesn't really matter though.

For 2D games, I'd rather a controller with a real d-pad.
That's why I mentioned the DS4. Not saying it has the best d-pad available but it's certainly decent enough for retro stuff. I just don't see much of a reason to buy a PS Classic for these controllers unless you can't afford something better.

tumblr_npyub9ufwc1rsrplco1_400.gif

Thanks antonline, really glad you placed the console box in a giant bubble mailer/envelope.

At least it hadn't been opened.  I bought this to use & abuse rather than for a collection anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
The PS Classic is nice for hacking, but I really love my PSTV w/ 256 GB SD card loaded with PSP and PS1 games.

Even though I know this wasn’t what you were arguing, I think it should be noted that this isn’t Best Buy selling them for $30. It’s an eBay seller with a bad reputation, and you’re probably getting something that at best is a used console and at worst is a return nightmare.
Nope, antonline has been nothing but great for me. Ordered several things over the past year, including an Xbox One X, and everything has been exactly as described and shipped fast. My PS Classic arrived today brand new and I couldn't be happier.

I have a few already, but I wouldn't mind getting a few more at $60. Where did he find them? Target? You're right through. The PSTV is fantastic. I use mine almost daily.
Its not a Nation-wide retailer, its a place called 2nd and Charles, here is their locations webpage:

https://www.2ndandcharles.com/locations/

Exactly my thoughts. Retro games work great on a controller with analog sticks, especially if I wanted to play PS1 / N64 / Saturn retro games, why would I want anything less than DualShock?

The argument that "nostalgia makes it okay to include the launch controller" was silly. Same goes for the Sega Genesis Classic, 3 button controller in the USA, and people trying to defend it because of some reverence for nostalgia. Straight up stupidity.

Exactly my thoughts. Retro games work great on a controller with analog sticks, especially if I wanted to play PS1 / N64 / Saturn retro games, why would I want anything less than DualShock?

The argument that "nostalgia makes it okay to include the launch controller" was silly. Same goes for the Sega Genesis Classic, 3 button controller in the USA, and people trying to defend it because of some reverence for nostalgia. Straight up stupidity.
How DARE we have our own opinions about what parts of nostalgia to appreciate!

I got the Genesis at launch and played with those controllers for years and they were just fine. They were hardly a required accessory for the Genesis, maybe if you had the second rate conversion of Street Fighter 2 (great for the Genesis, but pales compared to the SNES version).

Grabbed a PSClassic from GS for 34.99 and already got Retroboot running on it. So far, I got Nes Snes,Genesis, SMS running on it as well as PSone. Works great with the Dual Shock 3 and 8bitdo controllers. Easily a great purchase for me.

how on earth do you guys easily hack these things?
Sony used an open source emulator to make the system and it turns out certain USB keyboards can access the menu by pressing escape. From there hackers had pretty much unlimited access to the device.

The sega genesis versions of sf2 play far superior than the snes versions with the official sega genesis six button controller and I was a snes fan boy back in the day.

How DARE we have our own opinions about what parts of nostalgia to appreciate!

I got the Genesis at launch and played with those controllers for years and they were just fine. They were hardly a required accessory for the Genesis, maybe if you had the second rate conversion of Street Fighter 2 (great for the Genesis, but pales compared to the SNES version).

The sega genesis versions of sf2 play far superior than the snes versions with the official sega genesis six button controller and I was a snes fan boy back in the day.
Yeah, the pad elevated the Sega version, that's for sure. The grainy colors and AM radio sounds hurt the game though. The SNES played just as well with a similar controller. Capcom released some very good fight pads and a fight stick that worked well. But I had an Ace in the Hole. I worked at an arcade during summers at NCSU and was friends with our repair guy who gave me two Happ sticks (the kind used in the US arcade SF2) and microswitch buttons (many games used leaf switches at the time). I built a two player console with arcade sticks for playing SF2 (and it played perfectly with it). I had a few friends that I showed what I did with padhacking (sanded off the contacts and soldered on wires to the arcade parts using SNES pads) and they made their own as well. Given this was summer 1992, I guess I was one of the pioneers of padhacking fight sticks ... :)

It's an easy program via a USB Flash Drive. Doesn't even harm the system itself. A quick Google will pull it up.
Yeah, I was shocked how easy it was to do. Just a thumbdrive setup and you don't even have to install software on your Classic nor your PC, so it would be hard to call this "hacking". BTW, it makes it even more obvious how bad Sony screwed this thing up, playing the included PAL Tekken 3 versus the US version in full 60fps shows how sluggish the PAL version plays and how unnecessary it was to do that.

Yes, it lasted 2-3 days.  I'll edit the title.  I appreciate everyone's input on the product though.  Helping me form my plan to ...use it... in the best way possible.  :whistle2:

bread's done
Back