[PS Vita] Near guide

smthng

CAGiversary!
Near make almost no sense whatsoever, so I'm creating this as a guide for people as we figure stuff out. This post is a wiki, so it can be edited for corrections or additional bits as they are found. You are also welcome to just post a reply to the thread and I'll update the main post as needed. Don't get offended if I edit your edits in order to keep stuff in order. If everyone thinks this is a stupid idea, I'll abandon it and just make a tutorial on my own site.

If posting screen shots, please wrap them in a spoiler and please don't quote the entire first post in replies.

Near

Official US manual pages for near: http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/psvita/near/index.html

Description: A Vita app that tracks your location and those around you who are also using near. Allows for downloads of "game goods" and finding of new friends in your area.

Setup: Screen shots and descriptions of setup options to be provided. If anyone does a reset, please send me screen shots of the setup options before changing any of them, I have no record of the default settings at this time.

Known issues:
Can get corrupted and will no longer update your status. This will show two different indicators when it happens... the blue "ring" around the update button will get full and never reset. Attempts to update will eventually spit back "An error has occurred". Ther e will be no error code with the current firmware (1.61). The only verified solution is to do a factory reset. It has been reported that you can do a restore after the reset, and near will work again, but this hasn't been verified. There is a post about this issue and a post detailing the restore process.

Basic usage: Screen shots to be provided. Instructions below assume you have done the basic setup, which will be provided above in the near future.
Start the Near application. Click the near update button in the upper right corner. It will spin for quite a while while it figures everything out. A couple of windows will appear saying that it is determining your location and that it has found it and is sending it. A result window will appear showing your location data and distance traveled. Press Ok.
The near button will usually continue to spin. Eventually, you'll probably get a message stating "XX people playing nearby". The results are shown under "Out and About" and "Discoveries". See those sections for further details.

Out and About: To be continued...

Friends: To be continued...

Discoveries: To be continued...

Settings: See "Setup" section above when completed.

Games that support near:
  • Super Stardust Delta - soundtracks
  • Hustle Kings - Cues, Avatars
  • ModNation Racers: Road Trip - Kart parts, track objects, mod parts
  • Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - Playable Characters
  • Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen - Alchemic materials
  • Touch My Katamari - Buddy Requests
  • Little Deviants - ?

[quote name='finsfan0210']Everytime I launch near it thinks I'm at a location 15 miles from where I really am at. Its very annoying.[/QUOTE]

If you're using wifi, you probably need to update the big access point database everyone uses... http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/submit_ap.php
You'll need to give them your address and probably the MAC address of your router.

I'll add this to the initial post once I've gone through it myself.

bread's done
Back