PS2 Component Cable Weirdness...Can anyone help?

Slim Gatsby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
96 (97%)
I hooked up my PS2 with component cables a few months ago; and was having a bit of trouble getting it to work -- I wasn't getting any picture without a game in it (it ususally takes you right to the menu screen). Finally, I re-connected it with the standard AV cables, put the settings on 480p or whatever the HD mode is, then swapped to the component cables and it worked fine.

With one caveat -- PSX games would come up wonky and offcenter, and treat my TV as if it were the lower left-hand corner of a screen 4x the size.

That didn't bother me too much; I just hooked up my PSX to play my older games on...until I tried to play Disgaea.

Disgaea is a silver-bottomed disc; I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it, but it's having the same problem that I was having with PSX games and not appearing on-screen correctly.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can fix it? Thanks.

Someone else said that the PS2 displays PSX games in 240P which some HD TVs are not compatible with (e.g. some Vizio models). It doesn't make sense that Disgaea would suffer from this problem, though.

Silver-bottom discs are DVD-ROMs, and even if they weren't, that shouldn't affect how the system displays the game, unless Disgaea is displayed 240P but I don't know any PS2 games that are. It's possible, though.

I'm sure you've tried it already, but the aspect toggle on your TV might help. It could be set for something wonky like 4:3 Zoom x2 when you use that particular connection.

I'll try that, but the bizzare thing is, that most PS2 games work just fine with the cables -- but when its not set to an HD output, I get no signal when I'm trying to boot to the system menu.

Oh, there's also some weird discoloration when I'm getting the 1/4 image effect.

[quote name='Layd Dly']did you change the system settings on the ps2 dashboard to YPbPr/Component which ever it is labeled[/quote]

Ya, I was just going to say. You need to do this first...

Go to the system configuration menu

change the video output to "Y Cb/Pb Cr/Pr"

The solution is to use composite cables to play games that don't support progressive scan.

I have an Olevia and had the same problem. The only solution I found was to ditch the component cables, suck it up and use the composites. At least for certain games.

bread's done
Back