PS2 dropping to $99 around April 5

The PS2 is the greatest console in history, and it should never die. How about a PS2.5 Sony? Add in upscaling and HDMI output and charge $99.99 you would rake in the cash.

[quote name='rickonker']What's the price after you add a game and a memory card? $130? $140? The 360 Arcade comes with both for $199. Sony should include those at the $99 price.[/quote]

i know youre not actually saying that. The 360 lite offers crap games and you have no choice in what you choose. Add a good game and the 360 comes up to what 230 or something. Seriously :roll:

[quote name='willardhaven']The PS2 is the greatest console in history, and it should never die. How about a PS2.5 Sony? Add in upscaling and HDMI output and charge $99.99 you would rake in the cash.[/quote]
then they should make a PS3 without Bluray driver.

[quote name='hiamiyumi']then they should make a PS3 without Bluray driver.[/QUOTE]

No, they shouldn't. Then you can't play PS3 games on it.

They should allow the PS2 to be connected to the PS3 through the PS2 AV Port, and have the PS3 be able to upscale the games playing through PS2 and display onto tv. Complete with a stand that holds the PS2 & PS3, so it becomes a 2 in 1.

I commend all you cheapasses that have held out for this long. Finally you can get a PS2 and see what you've been missing. Good luck finding all the good games though.

[quote name='cletus']I commend all you cheapasses that have held out for this long. Finally you can get a PS2 and see what you've been missing. Good luck finding all the good games though.[/quote]

Why good luck? PS2 has plenty of good games, many at bargain prices.

[quote name='cletus']I commend all you cheapasses that have held out for this long. Finally you can get a PS2 and see what you've been missing. Good luck finding all the good games though.[/QUOTE]

When did good PS2 games become hard to find? Sure, you may never find ALL the good games, but I would guess that it would be near impossible to own, let alone play, all of the good PS2 games.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']When did good PS2 games become hard to find? Sure, you may never find ALL the good games, but I would guess that it would be near impossible to own, let alone play, all of the good PS2 games.[/quote]

[quote name='camoor']Why good luck? PS2 has plenty of good games, many at bargain prices.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not sure what he was suggesting. Most of the great PS2 games are quite easy to find. Because there were so many damn PS2 systems on the market, there are plenty of copies of most games floating around. There are rare PS2 games, of course, but many rare games aren't even that great to begin with.

[quote name='shinryuu']I commented there that the pictures look like they came from a TI-83 calculator. =D[/quote]

Those little pictures are pictures of our RMU's. Really out dated, but kmart is still using them.

Pain in the ass, but oh well. Wish I had checked this while I was at work a few house ago.

[quote name='Vitality X']i know youre not actually saying that. The 360 lite offers crap games and you have no choice in what you choose. Add a good game and the 360 comes up to what 230 or something. Seriously :roll:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, so? And the memory card?

I honestly thought the PS2 was already $99 or below. I still have my original release PS2 but I couldn't tell you when the last time it was even turned on. My roommate used to play God of War on it, but I don't think I've picked up a PS2 controller in years.

[quote name='rickonker']Yeah, so? And the memory card?[/quote]

Theres no comparison to be made at all. So I don't know why you need bring the 360 into this thread. Especially when one system is a hundred dollars more expensive. As for the memory card, not all the 360 lites have them. Some lites come with 256 MB internal memory.

[quote name='rickonker']What's the price after you add a game and a memory card? $130? $140? The 360 Arcade comes with both for $199. Sony should include those at the $99 price.[/quote]

Honestly, there are a lot of great games available on Half.com sealed for less than $15 (Genji, Wild ARMs, Ratchet & Clank) and memory cards can be purchased for less than $20.

[quote name='Vitality X']As for the memory card, not all the 360 lites have them. Some lites come with 256 MB internal memory.[/quote]
Which replaces the 256mb memory card that used to come packaged with them...what's your point?

As for PS2 games, just go to the local Gamestop. They still have plenty of the good PS2 games in the used bins. The local big box stores here seem to only have the newer games out though.

[quote name='Vitality X']Theres no comparison to be made at all. So I don't know why you need bring the 360 into this thread. Especially when one system is a hundred dollars more expensive. As for the memory card, not all the 360 lites have them. Some lites come with 256 MB internal memory.[/QUOTE]

Do you really not get it? The 360 Arcade is the next cheapest console, not including handhelds. Yeah it's a hundred dollars more expensive but it comes with more stuff, like 256 MB of memory to save your games. And yes I know some of the newer systems come with internal memory which is still used to save games.

If you buy a PS2 for $99 you still have to buy a game and memory cards. Add $10 for even a crappy game and $25 for memory cards and your total cost is about $135.

So, $135 for a last-gen console vs. $199 for a current console. Sony should at least include some memory at the $99 price.

I'm not saying 360 > PS2. I'm saying Sony could do better.

[quote name='rickonker']Do you really not get it? The 360 Arcade is the next cheapest console, not including handhelds. Yeah it's a hundred dollars more expensive but it comes with more stuff, like 256 MB of memory to save your games. And yes I know some of the newer systems come with internal memory which is still used to save games.

If you buy a PS2 for $99 you still have to buy a game and memory cards. Add $10 for even a crappy game and $25 for memory cards and your total cost is about $135.

So, $135 for a last-gen console vs. $199 for a current console. Sony should at least include some memory at the $99 price.

I'm not saying 360 > PS2. I'm saying Sony could do better.[/quote]

Comparison is off still. Add a game YOU CHOOSE for the 360 and what is the price of it now? 230-235 after taxes.

[quote name='eddie291']Which replaces the 256mb memory card that used to come packaged with them...what's your point?

[/quote]

PS2 memory card is different than 360 internal memory. I was correcting his statement

[quote name='Vitality X']PS2 memory card is different than 360 internal memory.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it has 1/32 of the capacity.

[quote name='Barnolde']No, they shouldn't. Then you can't play PS3 games on it.[/quote]

What if they made all the PS3 games downloadable from PSN? They could pack in a terabyte hdd and sell it for cheap. That would be awesome.

[quote name='rickonker']Yeah, it has 1/32 of the capacity.[/quote]

Yeah and theres also a difference in portability. And btw the 360 could be better. Especially with its RROD hardware problems.
LOL. I knew the Sony haters would jump out of the wood work with this thread.

So for $130 now you get a game and a memory card... it's still better than a 360 + Sega Tennis. Plus, the point is the PS2 is a good value because it has the best library around, it doesn't matter if it's old to the people who never owned one.

[quote name='Vitality X']Comparison is off still. Add a game YOU CHOOSE for the 360 and what is the price of it now? 230-235 after taxes.[/QUOTE]
Or sell the games that come with the 360. $125 vs. $189.

Or if you really want to be all exact so the comparison isn't "off", 256 MB of PS2 memory cards would cost $400. So now it's $499 vs. $189. :roll:

[quote name='rickonker']Or sell the games that come with the 360. $125 vs. $189.

Or if you really want to be all exact so the comparison isn't "off", 256 MB of PS2 memory cards would cost $400. So now it's $499 vs. $189. :roll:[/quote]

Nice to know that an XBot feels the need to rant in a PS2 thread.

[quote name='willardhaven']So for $130 now you get a game and a memory card... it's still better than a 360 + Sega Tennis. Plus, the point is the PS2 is a good value because it has the best library around, it doesn't matter if it's old to the people who never owned one.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I agree, I'm just saying PS2 memory cards are a ripoff and Sony should include at least one with the system.

I just don't get how anyone could complain about the PS2... The 360 is great and I enjoy it, but my PS2 is still hooked up 8 years later. Also, the Arcade is a bummer because you need an HDD to get online, plus you'll need to pay for Live.

[quote name='rickonker']Yeah, I agree, I'm just saying PS2 memory cards are a ripoff and Sony should include at least one with the system.[/quote]

Many video game accessories are a rip-off. $150 for a 120GB HDD (which use to be $180)? $100 for a wireless network adapter?

[quote name='Vitality X']Nice to know that an XBot feels the need to rant in a PS2 thread.[/QUOTE]
:lol:
You're the one who rushed to the defense of Sony's pricing decisions. It looks like everyone else who's replied at least understands my point. Leave the discussion to the adults.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Many video game accessories are a rip-off. $150 for a 120GB HDD (which use to be $180)? $100 for a wireless network adapter?[/quote]

Of course he'll ignore that. Because its SONY that's doing it. He made a comparison and there's none to be made. The PS2 with its library and 99 price tag is a bargain. If anyone wants a memory card, it could be bought for 1o bucks used.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Many video game accessories are a rip-off. $150 for a 120GB HDD (which use to be $180)? $100 for a wireless network adapter?[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%.

[quote name='willardhaven']I just don't get how anyone could complain about the PS2... The 360 is great and I enjoy it, but my PS2 is still hooked up 8 years later. Also, the Arcade is a bummer because you need an HDD to get online, plus you'll need to pay for Live.[/QUOTE]

I'm complaining about the pricing, not the PS2. Not to defend the Arcade too much but you don't need an HDD to get online and play multiplayer.

[quote name='rickonker']:lol:
You're the one who rushed to the defense of Sony's pricing decisions. It looks like everyone else who's replied at least understands my point. Leave the discussion to the adults.[/quote]

Yet youre the one who brang up the 360. I'm not the one who brang up price comparisons, you are. I'll gladly stop responding if you really aren't a fanboy but i doubt it. We know who the kid really is :roll:

[quote name='Vitality X']Yet youre the one who brang up the 360. I'm not the one bring up price comparisons, you are.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I "brang" it up to help evaluate the $99 price.

[quote name='rickonker']Yes, I "brang" it up to help evaluate the $99 price.[/quote]

$99 ps2 with great library and reliable hardware vs $199 360 with small libarary and unreliable hardware. Again the evaluation is bad. If you feel the 99 dollars is a lot, i'm okay with it. But some people actually love the 99 price. I'll leave it at that.

I totally thought you needed an HDD to play multiplayer on Live. I do think it should have been $99 a year or two ago. What price do you think the PS2 should be?

[quote name='willardhaven']I totally thought you needed an HDD to play multiplayer on Live. I do think it should have been $99 a year or two ago. What price do you think the PS2 should be?[/quote]

I'm pretty sure with halo 3 you needed the HDD. Not sure about other online multiplayer games though. Wouldn't surprise me if you needed the HDD for multiplayer though. I kind of remember it being said.

[quote name='Vitality X']Theres no comparison to be made at all. So I don't know why you need bring the 360 into this thread. Especially when one system is a hundred dollars more expensive. As for the memory card, not all the 360 lites have them. Some lites come with 256 MB internal memory.[/quote]
The PS2 is like the Wii, so successful that it only needs a price cut in very rare instances. And PS2 is not making much off software anymore either. 360 is much different, it's success is also because it's been priced aggressively. And 360 is making a lot of money off software. You can't make direct comparisons as the situations are very different. It's not just value (which comparing the two is even questionable) but its what the market will dictate. PS2 never needed to go below $100 until now to get great sales, so it made no sense for them to lower it until now. Just like Nintendo won't lower the Wii until it absolutely needs to.

Sony is relying on the sales figures of the PS1 after its price drop to guide this current PS2 price drop. When the DC, the PS2, and the GC came out, everyone wondered why anyone would want to buy a PS1... but people did buy them--Sony sold 50% of their PS1s after its last price drop according to historical data.

Its not about 1st adopters, or advanced tech, its about the market, and what people will and won't spend their money on, both here and overseas. People still buy the NES/SNES Duos... enough for them to continue to sell in large numbers. Sony is banking on people making the jump who have not previously bought. With Singstar, Buzz, DDR, etc. Sony can offer a very affordable casual game console, with a huge library of games, and a DVD player as well.

If PS2 sales hold true to the PS1 growth curve, the PS2 price drop could pull Sony's ass out of the fire. And, since we are past the all important Xmas season, Sony won't be so concerned about cannibalizing its own market share from the PS3, as the potential audience for a cheap PS2 is considerably different.

We all know how Sony is hurting itself with the positioning of the PS3. There is a chance, that I know Sony will blow, for Sony to re-position the PS2 as the affordable Wii alternative. But, this would require a targeted marketing effort by Sony to remind everyone of the EyeToy (dead) Singstar, Buzz, Guitar Hero, Rockband, DDR, and everything else the PS2 has--I don't imagine the Execs at Sony would be willing to put anymore marketing dollars to the PS2. MS has been trying to do this with the 360, just watch some of the demo videos that play on the 360 at Target with their "mom VO" trying hard not to be too much like the Wii voice talent. Likely Sony will try and encourage more 3rd party budget titles by dropping its licensing fee like they did on the PS1 at the end of its run.

Dropping the PS2 to $99 is a great strategy to increase sales. Although if if I were Sony I would have implemented other strategies as well. Releasing a memory card either 32-64mb would be great; better late than never. The second strategy is the inclusion of a game. Just imagine if sony included a combo disk (ie. God of War and Kingdom Hearts) in there system? sales would have increased or stayed the same. the last strategy to implement would have been a second redesign. Call it the "PS2 Lite" for example. This would reduce PS2 production costs and hit three birds with on stone (Increase sales, compete with the wii, and compete with the DS Lite). like the previous poster stated If Sony could get Wii developers to port games to the Ps2 even better. Anyways, i've speculated enough. $99.99 is a wonderful price for the system.

[quote name='donssword']Sony is relying on the sales figures of the PS1 after its price drop to guide this current PS2 price drop. When the DC, the PS2, and the GC came out, everyone wondered why anyone would want to buy a PS1... but people did buy them--Sony sold 50% of their PS1s after its last price drop according to historical data.

Its not about 1st adopters, or advanced tech, its about the market, and what people will and won't spend their money on, both here and overseas. People still buy the NES/SNES Duos... enough for them to continue to sell in large numbers. Sony is banking on people making the jump who have not previously bought. With Singstar, Buzz, DDR, etc. Sony can offer a very affordable casual game console, with a huge library of games, and a DVD player as well.

If PS2 sales hold true to the PS1 growth curve, the PS2 price drop could pull Sony's ass out of the fire. And, since we are past the all important Xmas season, Sony won't be so concerned about cannibalizing its own market share from the PS3, as the potential audience for a cheap PS2 is considerably different.

We all know how Sony is hurting itself with the positioning of the PS3. There is a chance, that I know Sony will blow, for Sony to re-position the PS2 as the affordable Wii alternative. But, this would require a targeted marketing effort by Sony to remind everyone of the EyeToy (dead) Singstar, Buzz, Guitar Hero, Rockband, DDR, and everything else the PS2 has--I don't imagine the Execs at Sony would be willing to put anymore marketing dollars to the PS2. MS has been trying to do this with the 360, just watch some of the demo videos that play on the 360 at Target with their "mom VO" trying hard not to be too much like the Wii voice talent. Likely Sony will try and encourage more 3rd party budget titles by dropping its licensing fee like they did on the PS1 at the end of its run.[/quote]

I don't know why you people think Sony is doing bad but the truth is they are doing just fine right now with the PS3..They manage to sell 21 million PS3 console world wide their only 6 million behind their competitor. If you really think about how the economy is so bad right now and the PS3 being expensive, and it is still able to sell decently good is a amazing accomplishment..Another price drop for the PS3 will eventually happen within this year..If Sony ever announce full BC back to the PS3 i see a huge spark of sales since so many people in this thread is complaining about wanting it back on the PS3..

Why do these threads always turn into the "Sony can't market anything" discussion? Sony has sold over 300 million consoles in the last 15 years. They must be doing something right.

I think I found when every PS1 price cut occurred just for comparison of what they did in the past and it's pretty interesting to look back. So they went from $299-$199-$149-$99 I believe.

Price cuts boost Saturn, PlayStation hardware. (Sega Saturn; Sony PlayStation)

Article date: May 31, 1996
Retailers and analysts believe Sony Computer Entertainment s PlayStation video system will continue to dominate the 32-bit category despite Sega of America's move to drop the price of its Saturn system to match PlayStation at $199.

In the short term, however, last week's price cuts gave an immediate boost to retail sales of both the Sony and Sega machines.

Sega said it would drop Saturn's price after Sony lowered the price of PlayStation to $199 (VB, 5/24). Both announcements came during the recent Electronic Entertainment Expo.

David Pomije, chairman of the Funcoland videogame chain, said PlayStation sales increased threefold. It was too early to assess Saturn sales.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc.(PlayStation price cut)(Brief Article)

Article date: March 10, 1997
FOSTER CITY, Cal. -- Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. reported that, for the second time, it is cutting the price of the PlayStation game console, this time to $149.
The company also is reducing the suggested retail prices of its own new titles for the PlayStation console, to $49.95. Sony's price plans do not apply to third-party developers.
Sony is also making available a Greatest Hits Series consisting of titles that have sold more than 150,000 copies each and which have been on the market for more than one year.
Jack Tretton, vice president of sales, said retailers will still be able to get "healthy margin on PlayStation software and hardware."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press Archive - August 16, 1999

Sony cuts PlayStation prices to $99; Nintendo matches price cut Sony today announced plans to cut prices on its PlayStation gaming console to $99, a move immediately matched by Nintendo, one of its chief rivals. "We believe this is going to make what is already a tough market for our competitors a little more difficult," said Andrew House, vice president of marketing at Sony Computer Entertainment America in Foster City, Calif. Sony introduced PlayStation in 1995 at $299. Since then, Sony has sold more than 55 million units...

There was also a drop to $129.99. I got my PS1 from TRU in 1998 for that price.

The final drop was to $49.99 I forget when, I guess around 2001 - 2002?

PS2 for $99...come on, 10 years after initial release, classic system but old, old, old, you'll be doing Sony a big favor buying these now.

bread's done
Back