PS2 games on PS3 any graphical changes?

Mishimaryu

Banned
I was wondering this since I have a 40G and it can't play PS2 games. All my PS2 games look pretty much ugly since my HDTV supports 720p and 108i. Even Progressive scan enabled games, they look a bit fuzzy. With the option to limit display settings on the PS3, if choosing only the 480p option, do the PS2 games look crisp or will it still upscale to the current setting 720p with component cables?

They look much better- that's one of the main reasons I got my 60GB. And I think this thread should be in the PS3 forum...

[quote name='Unickuta']They look much better- that's one of the main reasons I got my 60GB. And I think this thread should be in the PS3 forum...[/QUOTE]

Agreed on both parts.

They're not magically next gen or anything but they look much better with the PS3's upscaling/smoothing.

I have a 60 GB, and see some slowdown and blurring (of text) that wasn't in some games like the Karaoke Revolution series.

I used to own a PS2, and everyone could read the lyrics they scrolled by, now on my PS3 people complain they are heard to read.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I have a 60 GB, and see some slowdown and blurring (of text) that wasn't in some games like the Karaoke Revolution series.

I used to own a PS2, and everyone could read the lyrics they scrolled by, now on my PS3 people complain they are heard to read.[/QUOTE]

its cause ur using hdmi...

Interesting -- I've noticed a little graphical distortion with the Karaoke Revolution games, but not problems with the text. I too am running a 60gb PS3 through HDMI.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I have a 60 GB, and see some slowdown and blurring (of text) that wasn't in some games like the Karaoke Revolution series.

I used to own a PS2, and everyone could read the lyrics they scrolled by, now on my PS3 people complain they are heard to read.[/quote]

It depends. Some games look much better on an HDTV, some games look worse which you are better hooking it up to an SDTV via composite (because the smoother just gets too blurry). Some games look too jaggy (I'm looking at you Yakuza).

I have a US 60 GB PS3 and a PS2. When GoW2 came out, I tried every combination of smoothing on, upscaling, etc… Personally, I really didn’t see any difference. I guess my Sony HDTV does just as good a job. The last PS2 game I played on my PS3, I just left the upscaling off and turned on widescreen/progressive in the game’s menu.

[quote name='Hoffer']I have a US 60 GB PS3 and a PS2. When GoW2 came out, I tried every combination of smoothing on, upscaling, etc… Personally, I really didn’t see any difference. I guess my Sony HDTV does just as good a job. The last PS2 game I played on my PS3, I just left the upscaling off and turned on widescreen/progressive in the game’s menu.[/QUOTE]When games have a widescreen/progressive on PS2, they look better than upscaling since they were designed for HD. PS2 games on PS3 uses a more general upscaler, where the results will vary based on what you play (not upscaling each game individually assuring it looks great in HD).

I have been playing all ps1 and ps2 games on my 60 gb ps3, as the ps3 games were too expensive. They worked great. (why did sony take away hardware backward compatibility.)

I got my dualshock 3 over the weekend, from play-asia. Full vibration for all ps1/ps2/ps3 games (and ps3 demos). I am absolutely in nirvana! It is awesome. It is just too bad Sony never offered the hardware backward compatibility with a dualshock 3. it is really a great system. The charge lasts hours, and it is just a bit heavier than the sixaxis.

back to Need for Speed Iv, Hot Persuit, ps1.

Also, while i rue to put salt in a wound, check out compatibility with the ssx series on the current shipping ps3. only one works. So glad i got the 60gb. I wish i got a 20gb as backup!
http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

hmm didn't know progressive + widescreen was better than the upscaling. I'll have to try it out. God of War 1 didn't look too shabby if I recall. Less jagged than the ps2 on my lcd via component.

Shadow of Destiny and Silent Hill 2 look like ASS on the PS3. Upscaling helps, but it still looks ASSTASTIC.

[quote name='refusedchaos']its cause ur using hdmi...[/quote]

Has nothing to do with HDMI. The text blurring is caused most likely by anti-aliasing or smoothing. Since the font of the text in Karaoke Revolution is most likely a bitmap font, it would be ran through the smoothing feature. If you turn off smoothing, the font would be more legible, but jagged, like an Atari font.
(why did sony take away hardware backward compatibility.)

To encourage people to buy PS3 games instead of playing games they already own. People were buying PS3 units but they felt the backwards compatibility hurt their software sales
hmm didn't know progressive + widescreen was better than the upscaling. I'll have to try it out. God of War 1 didn't look too shabby if I recall. Less jagged than the ps2 on my lcd via component.
Gives the upscaler better source material to work with. If I give you an interlaced signal and tell you to deinterlace it, yeah you can do it, but it won't look as good as if I gave you progressive to begin with. Widescreen makes a difference since most HDTVs are widescreen, thus upscaling would be proportional.

Shadow of Destiny and Silent Hill 2 look like ASS on the PS3. Upscaling helps, but it still looks ASSTASTIC.

I LOVE Shadow of Destiny. My guess with Silent Hill 2 is because of the fog effect and film grain effect. If you turn off the film effect, it might help things.

[quote name='espy605']
Gives the upscaler better source material to work with. If I give you an interlaced signal and tell you to deinterlace it, yeah you can do it, but it won't look as good as if I gave you progressive to begin with. Widescreen makes a difference since most HDTVs are widescreen, thus upscaling would be proportional.
[/quote]

I believe it's been stated somewhere if you're going to use the upscaler not to use progressive scan, because it turns off the upscaler or something to that effect.

[quote name='hone']I believe it's been stated somewhere if you're going to use the upscaler not to use progressive scan, because it turns off the upscaler or something to that effect.[/quote]

It's possible, since only like 10 games even support progressive scan, they didn't program the PS3 to upscale those.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']No, I'm using Component now, my 360 is hogging the HDMI input.[/quote]

Aaah, switch the inputs, the PS3 was made for HD. There's not much point in watching Blu-Rays if you're not using HDMI.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']No, I'm using Component now, my 360 is hogging the HDMI input.[/quote]

Why don't you just use the HDMI cable on whatever system you're actually using? It's just one cable, pretty hassle free.

[quote name='Unickuta']Aaah, switch the inputs, the PS3 was made for HD. There's not much point in watching Blu-Rays if you're not using HDMI.[/quote]
Component outputs 1080p HD also. Currently no Blu-Ray disc is encoded to prevent full HD over component, although copy protected (i.e. commercial) DVD's will only do 480p over component. So as of right now there is very little difference between component and HDMI.

[quote name='mogamer']Component outputs 1080p HD also. Currently no Blu-Ray disc is encoded to prevent full HD over component, although copy protected (i.e. commercial) DVD's will only do 480p over component. So as of right now there is very little difference between component and HDMI.[/QUOTE]

While the discs aren't encoded to prevent full HD the system still won't output higher than 720p/1080i without HDMI for Blu-Ray Movies. If the discs had an ICT (Image Constraint Token) on them then you couldn't output higher than 480p without HDMI. As it currently stands the only player capable of outputting any HD movies at 1080p over an analog connection is an Xbox 360 with an HD DVD drive connected with a VGA cable.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']While the discs aren't encoded to prevent full HD the system still won't output higher than 720p/1080i without HDMI for Blu-Ray Movies. If the discs had an ICT (Image Constraint Token) on them then you couldn't output higher than 480p without HDMI. As it currently stands the only player capable of outputting any HD movies at 1080p over an analog connection is an Xbox 360 with an HD DVD drive connected with a VGA cable.[/quote]

Thanks for correcting me on that. :dunce:I was under the impression that since my Xbox 360 outputs games @ 1080p via component, that other HD media was able to do it.

[quote name='mogamer']Thanks for correcting me on that. :dunce:I was under the impression that since my Xbox 360 outputs games @ 1080p via component, that other HD media was able to do it.[/quote]

HDMI was chiefly invented for DRM reasons. Video games don't need their video protected since the video itself is non-interactive.

Just tried playing GOW1 on my PS3 via 52" LCD, and man, it looks like crap! It's over smoothing --- so it looks really blurry. None of the settings really do much either. Kinda depressing since I've been looking forward to experiencing this game.

bread's done
Back