PS2 Lumines any good?

Backlash

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I didn't even know this was made for the PS2, and I don't have a PSP. Is this a good puzzle game (or rather, is this version any good)? I saw it at Sam's Club today for about $17.

It's a great puzzle game, if you haven't played it yet you should give it a try. It's one of my favorites, I owned the PSP version and also have it on Xbox Live Arcade. Not sure what else to tell you other than that except maybe why the PS2 version is my favorite:

-I like the PS2 D-pad best (though only the Xbox pad was problematic between the three versions)
-Bigger screen (unlike the PSP version)
-You can play two-player split-screen (unlike PSP)
-No microtransactions (unlike Xbox)

The 360 version does have high-def and a better ratio for the gameplay area along with standard 360 features, but I'd still recommend going with the PS2 version for the superior controls and to avoid getting raped on microtransactions.

And instead of paying $17, you can get it at Best Buy for $15 using the coupon in this thread.

I think this is the first positive testimonial I've read here. Seriously, I cancelled my order because one person after another said the PS2 is the worst. Something off about it on the home console and Lumines feeling more appropriate handheld. Word that the graphics were crappy didn't help. I'll wait till I get a PSP.

I have never played the psp version/s, so I have no basis for comparison, but I love the ps2 version. The game is fun, the music is cool, its just well made overall. But then again Im a big puzzle game mark.

The only real criticism that Ive read is that this game in exactly like the psp version, and that theres very little extra to warrent the 'plus' in the name. But since its all new to me, that criticism means nothing.

If you dont have a psp, and you like puzzlers, you cant go wrong with this for $20 or less.

The negative reviews of Lumines Plus were primarily from reviewers who had already worn out their copies of the PSP versions and expected certain overhauls, either in gameplay or graphics, anything to make Plus stand out from 1 and 2 on the PSP.

These reviews miss the point of these budget releases. The intent is to 'cash in' on popular titles without having to develop a sequel. It happens all the time. But it benefits people like me who don't want a PSP and yet want to play games like Mercury Meltdown and Lumines on my Playstation.

Having this game available for $20 was a godsend. It's a fantastic, challenging puzzler with lots of diverse backgrounds and sound samples.

The only negatives I can think of: in terms of gameplay modes and options, this is a pretty barren title. But it's not a $50, or even $30 game. You can find it for under $20 if you look hard enough.

Good game, but when one single game can last well over an hour, I wish they would put in an instant save option.

[quote name='espy605']Good game, but when one single game can last well over an hour, I wish they would put in an instant save option.[/QUOTE]

sleep mode on the psp was my savior, i'd play till my eyes were bleeding with no end in sight.

[quote name='Milkyman']sleep mode on the psp was my savior, i'd play till my eyes were bleeding with no end in sight.[/quote]

I've been there too, but I hate quitting in the middle of a game, you always seem to lose your flow.

sleep mode on the psp was my savior, i'd play till my eyes were bleeding with no end in sight.

Yeah but no sleep mode on consoles, which they really should have considering how long games are these days with no ability to save at any time.

bread's done
Back