PS2 - Monster Component Cable - $8.96 @ CC

Tempting, but I'll pass after looking at what PS2 games support EDTV of HDTV. Here's a list on wikipedia.

Besides, I still haven't picked up a PS2 yet...still accumulating games I'm interested in. Most don't support HD/ED.

[quote name='mcelfour']Tempting, but I'll pass after looking at what PS2 games support EDTV of HDTV. Here's a list on wikipedia.

Besides, I still haven't picked up a PS2 yet...still accumulating games I'm interested in. Most don't support HD/ED.[/quote]God Of War alone Warrants it. Makes it worth the price of admission to the wires by itself.

Yes the fact that these can be used on PS3 should be mentioned in the title. (I used my ps2 cables for my ps3 till I got my HDMI cable)

I picked these cables up close to 7 years ago and them combined with my 27" Sony Trinitron was the pinacle of SD gaming. The heft of these cables will probably surprise you the most. In general I tell everyone to avoid Monster like the plague, but if you need PS2/PS3 component cables then this is about as good as it gets for the money.

[quote name='Guy Legend']Link doesn't work.

FYI, PS2 component cables can also be used on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Yes - I had my PS3 connected with this PS2 cable before I upgraded to HDMI.

[quote name='TwinTurboJosh']I picked these cables up close to 7 years ago and them combined with my 27" Sony Trinitron was the pinacle of SD gaming. The heft of these cables will probably surprise you the most. In general I tell everyone to avoid Monster like the plague, but if you need PS2/PS3 component cables then this is about as good as it gets for the money.[/QUOTE]

Yes, very heavy and very long - and were uncomfortably snug plugging into the back of my TV (and then the component switchbox afterwards). Just don't plan on doing a lot of cable swapping with these things. $9 is about the right price for 'em (comparable to Monoprice pricing, instant gratification).

I dont know about that wiki link that was provided but I tried some ghetto component cables, official sony brand and these monsters cables as well as the composite cables that came with the ps2 on a hitachi 51" 540p/1080I tv at the time.

Using Final fantasy X not much dif between the composite cables, the ghetto component cables, official sony brand componenet cables. As soon as I put in the monster cables. Kamahri went from a blue character to a beast with many different shades of blue and well defined muscles. If you have pretty much any tv above a 13" b/w you should notice some difference to quite a bit of a differance. I paid 53.99 way back when and they were worth every penny. At 9 bucks and ps3 compatible if you dont have these its almost an injustice to your ps2/ps3 (baring a hdmi capable and/or a tv with component in)

Good luck.

I can't say I'm not tempted, but I personally would rather pick up another game for a similar amount, rather than trying to get the very very best picture. I have component cables for my Xbox and Wii, since nearly all games are 480p on those, but the games I want on PS2 are just not going to benefit enough to warrant this purchase for me.

It's a good find for those interested. I just don't happen to be one of those people, and that's okay.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']What about the Monster Xbox components? I wonder if they're marked down too...[/quote]

The monster ones were discounted a long time ago. They were all over ebay a few months back for about the same price $10.00.

Hey I bought this yesterday when I went to Circuit City, I was looking around the PS2 and PS3 stuff and I saw it there and the cables looked really cool so I bought it. Really awesome cables. Definitely go buy it.

I bought these from a user on amazon awhile back for like 12 bucks. They do give a fairly noticable upgrade, but just remember, it's still a PS2 (the most underpowered out of last gen consoles). My biggest complaint with the cables though is that they were an extremely tight fit on my television. I had to push so hard to get them to plug in, and it was kind of scary. Several reviewers over at amazon give similar testimony. I was able to use them just fine though.

Also I can confirm that these cables work perfectly with the Playstation 3 (albeit you won't be able to upscale DVDs or PS2 titles to 720p or higher) if you can't use HDMI for some reason, which makes this an even sweeter deal.

[quote name='Veronica Mars']I'm confused.
These will make my ps2 games appear a little bit better on a HDTV?[/QUOTE]

It's the difference bwtween 480i and 480p in games that support it... think "DVD" vs. "Progressive Scan DVD". You won't get more lines of resolution, but it will be a little crisper.

[quote name='Richard Longfellow']What about the Monster Xbox components? I wonder if they're marked down too...[/quote]I see these all the time used at EB/GS for $5-7. EB/GS seems to price them like any non-MS component cable.

[quote name='FrankieFiero']
Yes, very heavy and very long - and were uncomfortably snug plugging into the back of my TV (and then the component switchbox afterwards). Just don't plan on doing a lot of cable swapping with these things. [/QUOTE]

Same deal with me...the first time I tried to remove them, I think I came close to pulling out the A/V ports out of the TV...after that incident, I traded them in at gamestop since my TV is worth much more than the cables cost me. Monster suggested loosing the grip by using a pair of needle-nose pliers to open them up, but since the outer flange is made fairly brittle metal 'teeth', when I tried this, one of the teeth of the flange just broke off. Not a well designed product.

[quote name='62t']wait so i read amazon that this cable does not have audio output? What else do i need to get?[/quote]

There were two types of Monster component cables released for PS2. One included analog audio out, the other didn't. The one that didn't relied on you using the optical audio out to connect to a stereo receiver.

It's funny because I have the S-video Monster cables for my PS2 and using those instead of generic component cables looks better on my HDTV. Using the generic component cables give me a lot of jaggies while the Monster S-video gives me no jaggies.........

I'm tempted to buy these to see if there is any difference.

I have the gold-plated Monster cables for PS2, and I don't notice much of a difference than the standard Sony S-video cables on my SDTV. I can delude myself into noticing improvements but all I know is that they're a pain to remove.

Thanks OP, I needed a component set to play my imports on my PS2 on my new plasma. Now I think I'll even get to see the whole screen on my PAL games!

[quote name='mcelfour']Tempting, but I'll pass after looking at what PS2 games support EDTV of HDTV. Here's a list on wikipedia.

Besides, I still haven't picked up a PS2 yet...still accumulating games I'm interested in. Most don't support HD/ED.[/quote]

Are you f'n kidding me? The PS2 can do 720p, but there's no way the Wii can do it?!?!

[quote name='dragonjud']The monster ones were discounted a long time ago. They were all over ebay a few months back for about the same price $10.00.[/quote]

I just scanned one at my Richmond area CC, still $29.99.

You can use some electricians grease (dielectric silicone lubricant) on the plugs to make it a little easier. They're still tight, but the grease will knock off the surface friction at least.

hey guys,

I have the Psyclone brand High performance Component cables allready...which retailed back in the day for over $60. Anyone tried both brands and know if these Monster cables are any better??

Thanks guys!

I'd considering getting these.... but my gaming tv is a old 20' Sanyo tube with mono sound and a single antenna input in the back. And for whatever reason, I am not completely sold on getting a new tv. Flat screens have a badunkadunk and flat panels insanely expensive considering the size I'd want. Maybe I should just wait for a sale on a 50" and just put that on my wall.

[quote name='Hybrid5006']Where were you last week when I was looking for a pair of cables?[/QUOTE]Really. I just broke my old Monster Cables ripping (yanking, tugging with extreme ungodly force) them from the back of my TV and bought a pair of rocketfish cables.

And maybe it's just me, but I could swear that the picture looks granier (1080i PS3 on a Sony 32in Wega) than with the Monster Cables. If they don't have the cables in stock at my CC, I guess I'll never know...

bread's done
Back