Ps2 Online

bobo2k4

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (100%)
Since almost all games coming out are online playable. I might wanna get PS2 online.
So i have a few questions to ppl that already have it.

Is this actuallly worth subscribing to ?
How is the online play like?
Can i save other people's name and play them again?
What happens when PS2 becomes obsolete does the subscription carry on to PS3?

theres no subsription fee to play online like xbox, but your limited to certain games . there are also games you have to subscribe to play monthly but those are MMORPG's a la FFXI & everquest.

its pretty much plug and play.

and the games ive seen have the ability to save friends and what not

The reason you have to pay for Xbox Live is because it's one network throghout ALL the online capable games. Like say you met a friend on Project Gotham Racing 2 and added him to your friends list. Then you went and played Rainbow Six 3, you'd have the same name you had on Project Gotham with the same friends list, and could look on your friends list and see what he's playing, ask him to join your game, and some other stuff. It's also worth it since there's alot more online games than PS2, and while Sony is trying to copy Xbox with their mic-capable games, they still haven't caught up.

For Xbox Live, you can either pay 5.99 a month, or 49.99 a year. Trust me, it's worth it and I promise you, no swear to you that you're LOVE it. Especially if you meet some friends on there that are just like you, then it's just like playing splitscreen at home with your friends. But, if you do really consider getting it, please PM me.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky'][quote name='bobo2k4']Since almost all games coming out are online playable.[/quote]

Say wha?[/quote]

OK maybe i didnt make much sense with that line, but the main reason i wanna get the online thing is because of that new Mortal Kombat game that is coming out.
Since most of my friends dont play fighting games its gonna be a waste just to play against the computer. I wanna kick some worldwide ass.

There can be monthly bills if you choose, like I said before, you can either pay 5.99 a week, or you can pay 49.99 for a year.

The whole network thing and the monthly bills or year plan was about Xbox Live. Is EA helping with that new MK game? I can't remember, but I think they are. It's not too bad for me since I have the network adapter for PS2 as well, but still......

PS2 online isn't really a subscription to anything, and there's no fees for any game except MMORPGs like FFXI or EQOA.

Pretty much all PS2 online sports games have the ability to save friend's names and stuff. Mortal Kombat Deception will be online, but I don't know if EA will be helping Midway out with the online portion.

You don't understand, I'm not saying the only Xbox Live has a friends list, I'm saying it has a friends list that is across ALL Xbox Live-enabled games, if you still don't understand, then I guess I could go in more depth.

PS2 online play-
you need to buy an adpapter for $30-$50, or recieve it in a bundle.
The games and services are free unless otherwise noted. Downloading your face for Tony Hawk or Playing Co-op on Everything or Nothing is completely free. Playing Everquest, FFXI costs you a certain $$ per month. Another good/bad thing, the adapter allows for both Narrow (56k) and Broadband access.

X-box-
BB modem built in. Starter pack w/mic 49.99 or less (we are CAG's after all). 99.9% of games are "free" after that point. So far, only Phantasy Star Online charges per month.There is a an AOL Buddylist like feature for friends, where they can tell what other online game you might be playing, and you can even message them to have them come and play your game.

xboxmaster he is talking about ps2 online not xbox live...as for ps2 online buy the network adapter $39.99 and try a starter game like socom 1 $19.99. The only problem with ps2 online is that its not as well developed as xbox LIVE.

[quote name='squeakycleanskater4']Friggin' network adapter never works for me...[/quote]

Never works you say....

Anyone else got that problem?

XBM, I understand the frends list thing, I just wanted to point out that PS2 sports games have a similar feature (but not across all PS2 online games, just EA with EA, etc.).

I'm on dial-up with the Network Adaptor with no problems. Are you sure it's just not defective or that your PS2 model is supported?

I knew that the starting topic of this thread was about PS2 Online, I was just introducing him to Xbox Live since...............Actually, I think I'll keep the last part a little secret.

[quote name='bobo2k4'][quote name='squeakycleanskater4']Friggin' network adapter never works for me...[/quote]

Never works you say....

Anyone else got that problem?[/quote]

I bought one pre-owned from EB, and had no trouble whatsoever in setting it up with my router and getting it to work...I put the PS2's IP in the DMZ just in case. With the AFF25 code you can get a NA used from ebgames.com for $24.75 and free super-saver shipping.

[quote name='XboxMaster']I knew that the starting topic of this thread was about PS2 Online, I was just introducing him to Xbox Live since...............Actually, I think I'll keep the last part a little secret.[/quote]

Xbox live blows. Why pay for a crappy service when there still are no killer Apps for it. Alomst all FPS that are on live are also on the PC and on the PC they are free to play. also no user made maps, no more than 16 to a game(UC2 is only having 8 people play together!!!!).

This is coming from someone who got Live on day one and in less than two months disappiontment set in. The only thing that kept me playing online in any capacity was a little PC game named Rainbow Six 3:Raven Shield and the only reason I played that for such a long time is the abundance of user made maps.

Personally I would much rather have PS2 online if I had a PS2. Xbox live will be worth it this christmas because most of the games will not be PC ports and fighting games will become more abundant and ports of FPS will take a back seat.

It would take something major, like if True Fantasy Live Online were free (and really good) to get me to sign up for Xbox Live. I already have more offline games than I could reasonably play, and PC and PS2 online games still cover a vastly larger portion of genres of Online games than Xbox live does. That doesn't mean that I don't think Xbox live is bad.. it's just not worth 50 dollars a year to me.

[quote name='CaseyRyback'][quote name='XboxMaster']I knew that the starting topic of this thread was about PS2 Online, I was just introducing him to Xbox Live since...............Actually, I think I'll keep the last part a little secret.[/quote]

Xbox live blows. Why pay for a crappy service when there still are no killer Apps for it. Alomst all FPS that are on live are also on the PC and on the PC they are free to play. also no user made maps, no more than 16 to a game(UC2 is only having 8 people play together!!!!).

This is coming from someone who got Live on day one and in less than two months disappiontment set in. The only thing that kept me playing online in any capacity was a little PC game named Rainbow Six 3:Raven Shield and the only reason I played that for such a long time is the abundance of user made maps.

Personally I would much rather have PS2 online if I had a PS2. Xbox live will be worth it this christmas because most of the games will not be PC ports and fighting games will become more abundant and ports of FPS will take a back seat.[/quote]
It seems you're mostly comparing Xbox Live to the PC online experience. And I agree about it not being as good as what PC has to offer in onine games, obviously I don't think Xbox Live is crappy though. If I had a computer that could play alot of the latest PC games, hey, I'd be on my computer and not on the consoles. To me Xbox Live is the place to go for a good online experience on the consoles, so that's why I favor it.

[quote name='"m_d_amore"']hes probably on dial up[/quote]

Umm... No.

Yo socom 1 had a mic b4 any of the XBL games

That's what I've been trying to think about. I can't remember if Socom came out b4 Live launched. If it did, then of course it would have a mic b4 since Live wasn't even out. If it came out after Live, then that quote would be untrue 'cause ALL Xbox Live-enabled games are mic-capable.

[quote name='bfg9k']I believe socom was released 8/02 and xbox live 11/02?[/quote]

your dates are a little off but you are right. PS2 online launched in Auguest and Xbox in Nov. (2002)

I've only had trouble with Tony Hawk games online, I play mine on ethernet through my PCs 56k and it causes some sort of issue that the gamespy network cant seem to understand so if you dont have broadband you have to dial direct. but every other game that I've used online has worked just fine mostly without latancy issues.

[quote name='bobo2k4']One last question.

Do I just need the network adaptor or is there or do i need to get a router?
I got boardband.[/quote]

Boardband? that's probably too slow, unless its a nice red oak, but pine (which most people have) is just waay too slow so don't bother if you have that.

On a slightly more serious note, you are probably gonna need a router. If you have a PC that you use the internet connection for also, unless you are a fan of switching cables and powercycling modems, get a router.

The Network adaptor has both a 56k modem and an ethernet port, so I'd assume if you felt like pluging the PS2 directly into the wall either way you could but if you internet share like I do then you'll need a hub.

bread's done
Back