PS2 PAL games worth importing to U.S.?

oremites

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
To make a long (and not very interesting) story short, I have ended up with a PAL PS2. It didn't come with any games.

Are there any good PAL-only games that would make it worth my while to keep this PS2? Or any good forums/websites that discuss this issue (PAL gaming in the U.S.).

Thanks.

The bigger question is rather you can display 50hz on your TV. Check out 505 Stree Games as they released a lot of niche Japanese games that didnt get a US release. Plus their games have 50/60Hz selector.

[quote name='62t']The bigger question is rather you can display 50hz on your TV. Check out 505 Stree Games as they released a lot of niche Japanese games that didnt get a US release. Plus their games have 50/60Hz selector.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should clarify a couple of things.

This PS2 came with a couple of adapters for plugging in to the electricity and the TV, so that's not a problem. It came from England. Japanese games won't play on a European PS2, right? Or am I wrong about that?

[quote name='oremites']Thanks for the reply. I guess I should clarify a couple of things.

This PS2 came with a couple of adapters for plugging in to the electricity and the TV, so that's not a problem. It came from England. Japanese games won't play on a European PS2, right? Or am I wrong about that?[/QUOTE]

The problem is that many PAL are coded in 50Hz, so it will run, but on your NTSC TV it will be all bury. No Japanese game.

Well provided it works...I am somewhat jealous.

I would recommend the PAL version of ICO, which was released on DVD as opposed to the US release which only came on a CD. It has a lot of extras that add tremendous replay value to an already stellar game. I believe it also has a screen on start-up allowing you to switch to the proper frequency, meaning you may not encounter that issue...

Good Luck

[quote name='TctclMvPhase']Well provided it works...I am somewhat jealous.

I would recommend the PAL version of ICO, which was released on DVD as opposed to the US release which only came on a CD. It has a lot of extras that add tremendous replay value to an already stellar game. I believe it also has a screen on start-up allowing you to switch to the proper frequency, meaning you may not encounter that issue...

Good Luck[/quote]

Yes it has a selector, i have it and ran it with swap magic.

I really don't see why you would wanna import PAL games unless you're a soccer fan or something. The only cases that come to mind where the PAL version is superior are ICO and FFX. So I hope you didn't get that PS2 accidentally and paid for it, because that would be a waste. I live in Europe and import most of my games from the US and Japan.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It was very helpful.

The FFX version was tempting. There were a couple of other games that I ran across that looked interesting: Glass Rose and Michigan: Report from Hell. They sounded like the kinds of games I would like to try.

But, frankly, I have so many games to play already that I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort. I ended up selling it.

FFX isnt that big of a deal since you can get the Japanese International version as well. But Glass Rose and Michigan are Japanese games that never got a US release.

bread's done
Back