PS2 Repair thread

Ummmm pete5883, you really don't have to do the laser height adjustment to your PS2 EVER. Matter of fact, that's usually a pretty BAD thing to do, since you may make your problems WORSE that way. Just follow this link and clean your PS2's lens and for cripes sake, put the lens back in the original position by turning those white gears back to their original position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhof6WtePyM

THAT is the only FAQ people should use, since the gear adjustment IS bad if you F it up. Most times, just cleaning the lens will help the PS2 to read discs for A LONG TIME to come. However, sometimes, you just need to go out and spend $50-60 and buy a replacement laser and install it.

www.richspsxparts.com has a compatability guide and can tell you which version laser you'll need to buy to replace yours.

It's definitely ALOT cheaper than sending the system into Sony for repairs every damned year.

I turned the gear 2 clicks away and I can play Odin Sphere again. If it stops working again I guess I could clean the laser, but as far as a replacement goes, I'd rather replace the whole system than buy a laser and *maybe* install it properly.

But see, in order to get at those white gears, did you not have to remove the disc tray to do so? If you did, all it takes is unscrewing the two screws holding the laser rails in, then sliding the old laser off, opening the little 'door' on the laser that holds the laser cable on, putting the new laser on, then repeating the other steps in reverse.

I just don't get it, as people are confident enough to open up their own systems, yet scared of 'screwing something up' that they won't replace their OWN laser. It's woefully easy once you learn how to do it all.

If by destroys discs, you mean scratches them in a circular pattern, then it may simply be a case of a bad height adjustment procedure having been done on it. Have you worked on your own PS2 or had someone work on it for you? If so, did you do the height adjustment(messing with that white wheel located behind the disc tray)?

If so, then that may be the problem. However, if you didn't, then the system may have done a bad height adjustment while trying to read your discs. What color discs seem to end up most destroyed?

I ask because most times it's the blue ones which end up seriously screwed up because those are the hardest for the PS2s to read. A simple laser replacement should help your problem, since the laser is probably misaligned and that is causing the destruction problem.

If you turned on the self diagnosis mode on the PS2, then that may have been when it started.

Without truly seeing the inside of the PS2, I can't make a real diagnosis, but it does sound like the laser is too high up. If you know how to do the height adjustment, go in and keep clicking the white wheel till the laser resets to its lowest setting.

Yeah, circular pattern scratches. Nope I've never worked on my PS2 (I wouldn't, because I KNOW I'd screw it up). Nobody has worked on it either.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Nice way to spam a site there, Gamerx, though that's about ALL the DRE fix is worth really($20), which is why it shocks me that people send their system into Sony and pay $75 for the repairs.

And, Domikaze, I had a PS2 a while ago with a hole in the ribbon cable and that WAS the problem that caused no video to display on the screen.

Just Google PS2 replacement parts and find a site selling that cable for cheap to replace your own. And....try re inserting that cable with a pair of tweezers next time, as they really help.[/quote]

Thanks for the help! Do you know off hand any reliable sites for these? I did google it and wasn't too impressed by the sites.

Also, is there any kind of good thread or FAQ of some sort, or even a picture, to show the best way to get these things in? Because I have tried to put it in multiple ways (the broken one that is) and it just wont stay in at all.

Lastly, I have another PS2 that has DRE problems too. However, with this one whenever I put in a PS2 disc with a blue back (like Ico) it makes a loud grinding noise when it spins the cd. Any help you can give me on this is really appricated! Thanks again!

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Nice way to spam a site there, Gamerx, though that's about ALL the DRE fix is worth really($20), which is why it shocks me that people send their system into Sony and pay $75 for the repairs.

And, Domikaze, I had a PS2 a while ago with a hole in the ribbon cable and that WAS the problem that caused no video to display on the screen.

Just Google PS2 replacement parts and find a site selling that cable for cheap to replace your own. And....try re inserting that cable with a pair of tweezers next time, as they really help.[/quote]
Thanks for the help! Do you know off hand any reliable sites for these? I did google it and wasn't too impressed by the sites.

Also, is there any kind of good thread or FAQ of some sort, or even a picture, to show the best way to get these things in? Because I have tried to put it in multiple ways (the broken one that is) and it just wont stay in at all.

Lastly, I have another PS2 that has DRE problems too. However, with this one whenever I put in a PS2 disc with a blue back (like Ico) it makes a loud grinding noise when it spins the cd. Any help you can give me on this is really appricated! Thanks again!

[quote name='Azumangaman']Yeah, circular pattern scratches. Nope I've never worked on my PS2 (I wouldn't, because I KNOW I'd screw it up). Nobody has worked on it either.[/quote]

On much older PS2s, that's a sign that the laser is going, albeit it's one HELL of a way to tell you that its going, by screwing up your games.

Oh and Domikaze, if you need replacement parts of any kind, try richspsxparts.com, since they have a search function which lets you pick your PS2 model to make sure you get the right parts.

And, by broken, do you mean the ribbon cable that powers the reset/eject assembly is actually BROKEN? If that's the case, replacement is the best thing for that. However, if you have a pair of tweezers and a flashlight and the cable is just pulled out of its usual slot, that SHOULD really help in getting it back in there.

However, I know sometimes that once you have the PS2 opened up, if you have a problem with the r/e cable, you may have to lift the rest of the PS2 out of the bottom of the plastic covering/case to be able to get at that cable slot better.

I really wish YouTube had a video that showed how to do that, as I feel no matter how I describe how to do it, it won't be sufficient.

Just keep trying is all I can say if your r/e cable comes out from it's usual spot, since it isn't that hard to put it back in.

Now, the other PS2 you have that you said has a DRE, Domikaze, does it SAY Disc Read Error on the screen at all or does it just make that grinding noise? If it just makes the grinding noise, then it may simply need a good cleaning and relubing of all the parts inside to do with the laser assembly and disc tray. Over time, the factory 'grease' will gum up and end up thickening and that's another cause of the DRE.

You may hear a clicking sound at times too, which is simply the laser trying to ride its rails and ending up stuck on clumps of thick grease. Easiest fix for that is to pop the disc tray out and clean and re-grease it all. I'd suggest a silicone spray, which you spray onto a qtip and generously apply onto the rails, but not generous enough that it's dripping OFF the rails.

Either way, if you have further problems I would say to check out YouTube, since in between all the PS1/PS2/PS3 destruction videos, there ARE ones on how to fix PS2 problems.

Re-inserting the laser cable is still fairly easy, as is lubing the lasers rails and the disc tray and any other parts which may give you serious problems.

I hope this helps you a bit, since the video I always referred people to on how to open their PS2 was taken down by YouTube(dammit).

i hav a older ps2 scph 39001,it plays old games even blue disk but nothing new.(like Madden 08) I've used compressed air and a lens cleaning kit.nothin has worked,can someone give some tips or do i have to buy a new one?

[quote name='mjainerin']my slim ps2 is not powering up, any guides on how to change and test the fuses[/quote]

I kinda have the same problem. I brought 5 PS2's from the local pawn shop that were all sold as is for cheap. 3 slims, 2 fat.

One of the fat ones had an interior that really looks slick. Model 50001. It doesn't need the top of the PS2 case at all. No ribbon to be extremely cautious about attached to the top case. It read PSX and audio CD's wonderfully, but no PS2 games (havent tested blue disc). I cleaned the laser then tried to adjust the voltage, but putting the wires back in has been a pain. I really like this model. It seems very quiet.

Fixed the other fat PS2, just needed the lens cleaned.

First slim has a weird problem. It won't recognize that it has power unless I apply pressure to the point where I plug it into the PS2. I actually had another PS2 with this problem, but when I readjusted it, it was okay. For this one it needs constant pressure. Is there a way to fix this? Because I tried loading games on it while having pressure on it and it seems to work fine.

Second slim cannot play PS2 games either. I'm assuming its the same problem as the fat PS2.

Third slim is something that mystifies me. I can't even plug it into the back of the ps2 to check whats wrong with it. I can get it in slightly but meet resistance about half way. The model is 75001. Does it require a different plug than the one other slim ps2's use? Its weird.

Apparently, the person who originally did the PS2 cleaning video which got taken down re-did it, making it shorter to fit YouTubes' standards.

Here's a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4aDoNScvNA

This does NOT show you how to adjust the white wheel to raise/lower the laser height. I do not view the height adjustment as the FIRST step, but rather the LAST step prior to replacing the laser itself and I would NEVER adjust the intensity of the laser, since if you don't do that correctly, you can seriously f things up for good.

I have an AR 16 MB memory card, but the games won't recognize it, they ask for a 8 MB card, when I go to the browser my card doesn't show up, but it is read by the system when I insert the card CD. how can I make the games recognize the card so I can save my progress?

Thanks

Mauricio

Honestly, those Action Replay cards(actually it was a MAX MEMORY) are a major pita, since I bought one when I bought my year from launch PS2 and I can tell you that I had a similar, if not reversed problem. It'd show up on the browser screen, but when I went to save while in a game, it would say that the card wasn't formatted properly and it would keep asking that, even after it JUST formatted it.

I hate to say it, but I agree with all of the usual brand whores who say that 'first party is more reliable', but in this case, it's SO true.

Thanks, I was hoping i didn't have to go and buy a new one, but maybe i'll just find a good one cheap on ebay

Thanks again

I have a PS2 Slim (Model SCPH 70012) and it turns on fine, reads memory cards etc. However, when I load a game, it keeps saying "Reading Disc" and it doesn't go beyond there.

The warranty has gone beyond the 90 days and I would like to know other CAGers experience with Sony's Customer Service.

How much was it to send? The turnaround? Am I better off getting another system? Any replies are welcome. Thanks for reading! :D

--Michael

[quote name='Civickid96']I have a PS2 Slim (Model SCPH 70012) and it turns on fine, reads memory cards etc. However, when I load a game, it keeps saying "Reading Disc" and it doesn't go beyond there.

The warranty has gone beyond the 90 days and I would like to know other CAGers experience with Sony's Customer Service.

How much was it to send? The turnaround? Am I better off getting another system? Any replies are welcome. Thanks for reading! :D

--Michael[/quote]

While the PS2 is either in standby mode(red light) or unplugged, grab a q-tip and dampen it(not soak it) with some rubbing alcohol. Why rubbing alcohol? Because it evaporates quickly and doesn't usually leave a residue behind.

Wipe the laser firmly but gently in a circular motion with the dampened q tip, you may dry it with the other end of the q tip if you desire but the alcohol dries quickly.

Then, fire it up and see if it reads discs any better. If it does, then you just saved yourself $45(for Sony to 'replace' your system with one of their refurbished models) or $75 for them to attempt to 'repair' it.

Those are the costs that Sony will probably quote you for repair or replacement, should you not try the q tip and alcohol yourself. That quote doesn't even include SHIPPING IT TO THEM.

They'll also run you through doing the 'diagnosis mode' on the PS2 which lets the PS2 self adjust the laser to try and read discs better. That mode never works right.

I believe they told me to use a flat rate Priority Mail box to ship my system into them when I went through the process. I never did though, as I simply took it to a local shop where they cleaned the laser manually and it started to read discs great again.

Hope this long explanation helps....

I need some help. I have a V9 PS2, one of my nephew yanked the ps2's controller and it fell to the ground and now I'm getting DRE's. I opened it and tried the q-tip and fiddled with the 2 cog wheels. PS1/PS2 using CDs would work, but DVDs doesn't. Anyone know what I need to do? I read something about changing the voltage on the DVD, not sure if that works or how easy it is.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

I have a Slim PS2 it's not reading anything at all..

The Model No. SCPH-70012
Serial: FS4362349

How can I Calebrat(sp) it..I even cleaned the lens, nothing

Hi everybody, new to CAG. Recently the optical port on my PS2 has become either intermittent or not working at all. I've been using it for the last 5 years no problem and about a week ago it started to flake out. For a while it will work good but then it will start dropping out every few seconds to not working at all. When it does drop out the analog audio works fine. Anybody ever experience this problem. The unit is a SCPH-30000R with the GH-015 board. Works fine otherwise and never had any other issues til this cropped up. Also anybody know where I can find schematics for the board? Thanks in advance.

Probably mentioned in here somewhere, but I thought I'd try to help. I bought Everblue 2 from Gamestop a long time ago but it wouldn't play on my SCPH-39001 (loud clicks and whirrs freaked me out too). So I took it back, half figuring/hoping it was the scratches on the disc. I've never had any problems/DRE's on my 7 year old system. But then again, I never had a CD/blue disc game before that.

So I saw Everblue 2 at Gamestop again, looking all complete (case/manual) and sexy. I figure I'd roll the dice again...same deal, clicks and sounds I never heard preceded the "disc error" screen. After almost accepting that I'd have to crack my baby open and venture into compressed air and lens wheel rotating land, I thought I'd try this "tape" method. How the hell 2 strips of clear tape would do anything was beyond me, but I figured I'd try it before i got the screw driver out. So I stuck 2 one inch strips of tape on the top of the disc, close to the center hole...

Needless to say, Everblue 2 is damn addictive!

I purchased a slim PS2 at gamestop a few months back, and now whenever I try to play anything it will turn on and I can hear it working, however I get no video. If I open up the disc tray, SOMETIMES I can get a highly distorted black and white image of the PS2 Menu. I purchased new cables just incase it was the cables, which didnt work. I would just return it to gamestop but I dont know how they deal with systems outside of the 30 day warranty.
Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i need help!!

my ps2 is spinning the disk (really fast) but not reading it. it is not a bad laser since i just put in a new one and it is still doing it.

any ideas?

My PS2 (39000 series) makes a grinding noise-ONLY when the disc tray is opening but it doesn't make any grinding when the tray has a disc sitting in it-and it doesn't grind while playing the game. It only grinds when im opening it up to put a disc in-other wise it seems to play fine-but the grinding scares me....any suggestions?

[quote name='MarioMania']I have a Slim PS2 it's not reading anything at all..

The Model No. SCPH-70012
Serial: FS4362349

How can I Calebrat(sp) it..I even cleaned the lens, nothing[/QUOTE]

I'm having a similiar problem though mine will attempt to read a disc if I apply pressure to the top.

Does anyone have a method to test if the laser is functioning? I would hate to replace the laser unit only to find out it was a simple fix.

Are there any shops that will take a Fat PS2 off my hands? I don't want anything for it but I'd hate to see it go to waste.

As far as I can tell the disc drive is just flat-out dead. I can turn it on and it'll boot to the PS2 menu but it won't load any software--DVDs or PS2/PSX games. I pulled it out of a PS2 demo unit from the CompUSA I used to work at so it'd been used heavily, which I assume is why it doesn't read disks no mo'.

You'll get some credit for it at GS but I don't know how much they take off for broken-ish PS2s.

You might get lucky at a GS and they won't check the system for functionality prior to a trade-in. Kind of skeevy I admit but oh well, there's a reason people shouldn't buy used hardware.

At the same time, it might just need a new laser. Depending on the model number/generation, a replacement might be available at a relatively low price. An email to NCSX.com might be in order.

[quote name='Halo05']You'll get some credit for it at GS but I don't know how much they take off for broken-ish PS2s.

You might get lucky at a GS and they won't check the system for functionality prior to a trade-in. Kind of skeevy I admit but oh well, there's a reason people shouldn't buy used hardware.

At the same time, it might just need a new laser. Depending on the model number/generation, a replacement might be available at a relatively low price. An email to NCSX.com might be in order.[/QUOTE]

At the same time though, I don't really know if I want a PS2. I've got enough at a backlog as it is and adding a PS2 would automatically add like 50 games to the backlog.

Out of curiosity... I was going to pick up a used Ps2 for my nephew. Which one is more reliable. the old phat ones (they are 49.99) or the new tiny slim ones ( 59.99)

Hey, I'm new around here, but i was wondering if i could get some help with my PS2 slim. I have tried cleaning it by blowing compressed air all through it and using rubbing alcohol on the lens.

The problem is that my playstation won't read the disc. I've been searching for a fix for this for the last couple days, without success. I have tried everything i have found without it fixing it. When i close the lid, the disc spins and i hear the lens move. But then it starts clicking in a steady pattern 4 times, then repeats. I looked at what happened when i had the lid up and it ran and the clicking is coming from the lens changing positions. I see the red dot change sizes with the clicks.

So is there a way to fix this? And would it be worth buying a new lens or laser system for it? Any help you can give me would be fantastic.

btw its a SCPH-79001 if that is necessary information.

Hi,

So I was gonna play a game on my launch PS2 and it would not register the disk at all. I tried a different disk and the same thing happened. So I figured something prolly came loose; so I decided to crack open my PS2 and check. And low and behold my ribbon cable for my laser was unhooked. I figured "oh this will be easy.":D And I began to try to plug it back in. But sadly I have tick american fingers so it wouldn't go in.:bomb: So I though "Oh I'll just loosen the cd drive and plug it in that way!":D Well I loosened the drive and pulled it out and fixed the cable!:applause: So I put the drive back in and I noticed a component similar to this (I am sorry but I have to use an edited link so please bear with me) > [http: //i805(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/yy332/Daniel_Cadwell/043923-1.jpg] and [http: //i805(dot)photobucket(dot)com/albums/yy332/Daniel_Cadwell/043950-1.jpg] . Anyway, I looked at it and it looked loose so I poked it and it fell off! :censored: Needless to say I was a tad annoyed. So I decided to call the component Fred. So I tried saudering Fred back on but his legs were too short. And given it was like 3 or 4 AM I was a tad tired and accidentally crushed Fred. So what I would like to ask of all of you smart and intelligent people is, What component is Fred? And where may I locate another of him to sauder back on to my PS2's motherboard. I haven't turned it on for the fear that if I did it would fry everything. Anyway I would like your help asap. And thank you all in advanced.

Yes, this is a old thread...but I'm just so proud of myself. After I sold my launch PS2, I realized that I had two DRE PS2 phats in my possession. I followed some of the advice in this thread, and I entirely fixed one of the them...and the other, I'll have to get a bit more alcohol, rubbing and otherwise, to fix that one. The second one had serious issues, while the other just had a DRE. The PS2 is a relatively easy fix and it is pretty straightforward inside. I recommend everyone have a go at it.

All those links seem to be dead now :(

I have a white ps2 slim and i got it to turn on and everything, but the laser itself doesn't move at all. Anybody know where I can start searching to diagnose it somehow?

Ok so not sure what is causing this.Got a used PS2 hooked up I got off CAG, tested Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Persona 4and a Nicktoons Unite. All worked find.I pop in Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island for my kids, and it shows the PS2 logo then nothing. Works absolutely fine in the PS3. I clean the disk, try again. No luck. Any idea what would be causing this?

[quote name='Hell Monkey']Ok so not sure what is causing this.Got a used PS2 hooked up I got off CAG, tested Kingdom Hearts II, Final Fantasy XII, Metal Gear Solid (PS1), Persona 4and a Nicktoons Unite. All worked find.I pop in Nicktoons Battle for Volcano Island for my kids, and it shows the PS2 logo then nothing. Works absolutely fine in the PS3. I clean the disk, try again. No luck. Any idea what would be causing this?[/QUOTE]
Some disks are just borked. I've had multiple copies of Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space and all of them have the same issue as you. My guess is that some games were just poorly pressed that have problems on a PS2, but a PS3 can work through.

First off, I bought my PS2 day 1, still works like a champ :)

Anyhow, I thought this was funny, one of my wife's employee's had a old PS2 that wouldnt work. It wasnt reading disks, it would just make clicking noises. So she brought it home to see if I could work on it. Right away I notice it reeks of cigarettes. I'm used to working on older 8-bit systems or the occasional Gamecube, so I'm used to cigarette smells in these things. But this one hit me with the smell as she walked into the house with it. So I open it up, and all the vents are completely filled with dust and cigarette residue and what I hope is cat hair. I clean all that out, and actually have to wipe off everything inside to get the gunk off of it. Once everything is all clean, I started working on the actual problem. Turns out the crap is all over the rails for the CD laser, and now it cant slide on them. This is what I was expecting, but I didnt expect the amount of crap on them. I had to actually scrap it off with a screwdriver. Anyhow, some cleaning and grease on the rails and the laser slides fine. I had to readjust it a couple times, but then it worked fine.

The guy who owned it was completely baffled as to how cigarette smoke could do that, but that was like his 3rd PS2 that had that problem. :roll:

bread's done
Back