PS2 vs PS3?

trip1eX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I want to play all the great PS2 games that I missed and I should say I missed nearly all of them. And of course I like the fact I can wade through all those great games at dirt cheap prices.

But the dilemma is should I pick up a Ps3 to do this or a PS2??????

I waffled back and forth a few times, but I was leaning towards a Ps2 until I heard they probably will get rid of the PS2 hardware chip on the PS3.

NOw it's like maybe I should just get a PS3 now. The worry is the PS3 goes kaput in 2 years because no one buys it, but I have a feeling BluRay will make it more attractive as time marches on.

I guess though one can always keep a PS2 around especially since the Slim PS2 model is so tiny.

What do you all think?

If you see yourself ever buying a PS3 in the future, then you might as well do it now. The PS3 will not pricedrop more than 100 bucks in the next two years, so even if you buy a slim now and then a PS3 later down the line after the drop, you're still spending the same amount of money.

This is especially true if you have a 1080p tv (or anticipate getting one soon). If you don't think you'll do either, then stick with the PS2.

Where do you shop that the PS3 costs $700+?

Anyway, I would go ahead and get the PS3, assuming you think you will want one anyway. I don't think there's much danger of the PS3 "going kaput" (the absolute worst case scenario I can think of is that it turns into this generation's GameCube).

[quote name='getmyrunon']If you see yourself ever buying a PS3 in the future, then you might as well do it now. The PS3 will not pricedrop more than 100 bucks in the next two years, so even if you buy a slim now and then a PS3 later down the line after the drop, you're still spending the same amount of money.

This is especially true if you have a 1080p tv (or anticipate getting one soon). If you don't think you'll do either, then stick with the PS2.[/QUOTE]

That's not very good advice, it's always better to wait. Sometimes these things drop in price faster than you think, not to mention there's sure to be some deal where you can geta free game or movie with it if you wait for the right promotion. Also, the longer you wait the better chances you'll get a possible better version of the console that has all the kinks worked out, and then there might also be some actual good games for the system.

I would go for the PS3. If you try hard enough, you don't need to shell out full price straight from your account-- make it cheaper by selling/reselling older games and other stuff. The price drop won't be for a long time and plenty of good stuff will come out in the meantime.

Also, there's a rumor that with software emulation, PS2 games will run in HD resolutions (this is backed by pics of FFXII running at 1080p.) That should be included with the software emulator in next week's update if it's true. the emulator might also have some kind of softening feature to cover up those insane PS2 jaggies.

as far as the PS3 falling off the market due to it not selling, that's just not going to happen, so I wouldn't worry about it. Gaming forum people might make you think that the PS3 is going to die, but..well, I can't say anything nice here, so I won't say anything at all :lol:

[quote name='Chris in Cali']That's not very good advice, it's always better to wait. Sometimes these things drop in price faster than you think, not to mention there's sure to be some deal where you can geta free game or movie with it if you wait for the right promotion. Also, the longer you wait the better chances you'll get a possible better version of the console that has all the kinks worked out, and then there might also be some actual good games for the system.[/QUOTE]
If he's ONLY playing PS2 games, then yeah, get a PS2. But he says he's interested in a PS3 anyway, and there are going to be some pretty good games coming out for it later this year. While it's true that you usually get cheaper stuff if you wait, you also don't get to play the system in the meantime.

If you have the money, buy a PS3 now (before the EE/GS is removed). Most all PS2 games play better on PS3 anyway (some even load faster). You don't need memory cards. You get to also use wireless controllers (Going back to wired can be difficult IMO). You can also access PS Store content, store music, store videos, watch blu-ray movies, etc. PS3 is a beast compared to the PS2. Also, you'll be able to play PS3 games, along with PS1/PS2 games.
[quote name='Apossum']

as far as the PS3 falling off the market due to it not selling, that's just not going to happen, so I wouldn't worry about it. Gaming forum people might make you think that the PS3 is going to die, but..well, I can't say anything nice here, so I won't say anything at all :lol:[/QUOTE]People on gaming forums want Sony to die (That's been the case since the Dreamcast days), but even Sony said themselves that PS3 will likely appeal to high end people for now, but not for a while, it will sell big to the general public. Regardless, the console is staying whether anyone likes it or not (The only reason Sega had to pull out was because of their massive debt through the years, and they were only a video game company. Sony isn't just a gaming company, so they'll stick around).

[quote name='icruise']Where do you shop that the PS3 costs $700+?[/QUOTE]

Ok, so I guess all the fanboys don't like to play games and don't have any friends. Good to know.

[quote name='The Mana Knight'] Most all PS2 games play better on PS3 anyway (some even load faster). You don't need memory cards. You get to also use wireless controllers (Going back to wired can be difficult IMO). [/QUOTE]

Those are some pluses I didn't consider. Faster loading times are definitely good. Anyone else second that observation???

And how do the games play better? Just curious. Wireless is good. I like the Wavebirds on the 'Cube.

No hdtv yet though. I had a 42" PLasma, but was sorta disappointed so I returned it. I'm waiting for the tech to get a little better I think. HIgher resolution on Plasmas, LCDs with better color or DLPs with no $300 bulbs to replace. Oh and price to come down a bit especially on 1080p stuff. I might get a smaller one for the office though in the meantime.

I can get a new 20gb PS3 for $490 with no tax or shipping. 20gb ain't nerfed except for no memory card slots, smaller hd and no wireless, right?

I am mostly interested in PS2 games, but would definitely buy the really good Ps3 games like Resistance. The $60 price tag though would scare me off of most PS3 games that I'm not absolutely sure about.

You could buy a cheap used PS2 from someone locally, try craig's list. Then when the time is right for you, use your ps2 as turn in credit at Gamestop towards a PS3 when they have a special deal.

[quote name='Rendition']I just bought a PS3, I can't game on PS2 anymore b/c the graphics are so so much better. PS2 is going on eBay.[/quote] I'm sorry, but I pray to Allah that you are being sarcastic.

with the money youd spend on a ps3 you can get a ps2, 10 of the best games for the system, a couple of logitech wireless controllers and still have a couple hundred of dollars left over for booze and pot.

but also, like somone said above, if you want a ps3 anyway and are interested in ps3 games, then go for the ps3. but it sounds like youre asking about ps2 games, so save yourself some money.

[quote name='trip1eX']Those are some pluses I didn't consider. Faster loading times are definitely good. Anyone else second that observation???

And how do the games play better? Just curious. Wireless is good. I like the Wavebirds on the 'Cube.

No hdtv yet though. I had a 42" PLasma, but was sorta disappointed so I returned it. I'm waiting for the tech to get a little better I think. HIgher resolution on Plasmas, LCDs with better color or DLPs with no $300 bulbs to replace. Oh and price to come down a bit especially on 1080p stuff. I might get a smaller one for the office though in the meantime.

I can get a new 20gb PS3 for $490 with no tax or shipping. 20gb ain't nerfed except for no memory card slots, smaller hd and no wireless, right?

I am mostly interested in PS2 games, but would definitely buy the really good Ps3 games like Resistance. The $60 price tag though would scare me off of most PS3 games that I'm not absolutely sure about.[/QUOTE]Well, I might have exaggerated a little, because there are some games that seem to load faster. For an example, most Namco fighters (like Tekken and Soul Calibur) would have loading between matches. On PS3, it seems non-existent. It seems to depend upon how games access the disc.

Wireless controllers is just a preference of mine. I use to think badly of wireless, until I tried it once, but now I can't go back. I won't get tangled up in cords, and I'm free to move around a little while playing.

I just find it easier playing PS2 games on PS3 overall. You probably won't be like me, but I own over 200 PS2 games. In the past, I had to use 8 memory cards. Having to switch them in and out of my console was a pain, and having to buy more was a pain. On PS3, I can create several virtual memory cards and switch slots within a game. I also like being able to press the PS button to quit a game (or even turn off the console), instead of getting up to my PS2 turning off/reseting the console. If you ever want to have more than 2 people play a PS2 game, you don't need to get a multi-tap for PS3 (since it supports up to 7 controllers for PS2 games that can support that many players). However, the bad news is that PS3 controllers costs twice as much.

But, the choice is up to you. I'll flat out admit that I don't have experience with the slim PS2, and I'm comparing PS3 to the fat PS2 (which is what I have).

[quote name='David85']Ok, so I guess all the fanboys don't like to play games and don't have any friends. Good to know.[/QUOTE]

yikes talk about fanboy

you know on the 23rd we may get that upscale feature. I'd love to watch dvds and play ps2 games in 720p. If that happens then I think that you'd just be wasting money trying to buy a ps2 right now... especially with the ps2 being over 100 dollars (129).

I bought a silver PS2. Almost got the PS3, but I mostly just wanted to play PS2 games for now.

Who knows, I may change my mind and return it after a few days if the graphics get to me too much. I have to say the PS2 slim is more modern than the Wii in many ways.

[quote name='Chris in Cali']That's not very good advice, it's always better to wait. Sometimes these things drop in price faster than you think, not to mention there's sure to be some deal where you can geta free game or movie with it if you wait for the right promotion. Also, the longer you wait the better chances you'll get a possible better version of the console that has all the kinks worked out, and then there might also be some actual good games for the system.[/QUOTE]

Great advice. I always wait at least a year to buy a new console. Nothing good usually comes out in the first year anyway.

"People on gaming forums want Sony to die"

I don't think anyone wants Sony to die. Their brain dead drone fanboys OTOH...

[quote name='hhhdx4']a PS3 with tax and a game is over 700 dollars.[/quote]
Hey, did you know the Wii is over 500 dollars with a few games and an extra remote and tax?!

Did you know that? Isnt that amazing?

Ok, so I guess all the fanboys don't like to play games and don't have any friends. Good to know.
Hey David... do you ever post in the PS3 discussion without it being solely to start shit in order to get your internet attention fix?

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hey, did you know the Wii is over 500 dollars with a few games and an extra remote and tax?!

Did you know that? Isnt that amazing?[/quote]

infor20!

The Wii comes with a demo game and you can buy another controler and game for $110 plus tax. That's $360, almost half of what the PS3 is. And you need to buy at least a game for the PS3. :roll:

And I don't start shit, it's pointless to buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. I'm sorry I'm not a crazy ass Sony fanboy freak. People need to say the truth, which it seems most here can't do, the truth is the PS3 cost over $700 for a game and controler and that's completely pointless if he will be playing PS2 games 98% of the time.

[quote name='David85']The Wii comes with a demo game and you can buy another controler and game for $110 plus tax. That's $360, almost half of what the PS3 is. And you need to buy at least a game for the PS3. :roll:

And I don't start shit, it's pointless to buy a PS3 to play PS2 games. I'm sorry I'm not a crazy ass Sony fanboy freak. People need to say the truth, which it seems most here can't do, the truth is the PS3 cost over $700 for a game and controler and that's completely pointless if he will be playing PS2 games 98% of the time.[/quote]

You honestly come here and post your comments and NOT think you're starting shit?

If we want to, and are able to spend multiple hundreds of dollars on a console, then that is our choice.

Guess what, I've spent over a thousand dollars buying my PS3, 360, and Wii.
And wouldn't you know it, I did it by choice.

So a big thank you to Sony, MS, and Nintendo for all these wonderful new experiences.

Really, it makes more sense to save your $150 and put it towards something that'll last longer. The PS3 is sticking around, so that shouldn't even be a concern. The only reason to get a Playstation 2 at this point is if you intend to use it to play Japanese Playstation 2 games... which is the one thing the PS3 is incapable of.

Whats funny is people state that the PS3 is going away, just because how much better the wii and 360 are doing in America, but fail to talk about how much better the PS3 is doing than the 360 in Japan and how much more popular Sony is in Europe than Microsoft. So while 360 might be more popular in America, it will never be more popular in Japan or Europe so it's here to stay.

I say its win win with PS3 because it can play all the ps2 games and plus all the good PS3 games coming in the future!

And you need to buy at least a game for the PS3. :roll:

You don't NEED to. There are plenty of free demos, Thousands of PS2/PS1 games, Blu-ray movies, or DVDs you could watch if nothing on the PS3 interests you.

If you plan to get a PS3 in the future, it's wiser to just make the investment now.

[quote name='getmyrunon']If you see yourself ever buying a PS3 in the future, then you might as well do it now. The PS3 will not pricedrop more than 100 bucks in the next two years, so even if you buy a slim now and then a PS3 later down the line after the drop, you're still spending the same amount of money.

This is especially true if you have a 1080p tv (or anticipate getting one soon). If you don't think you'll do either, then stick with the PS2.[/quote] i bet you the PS3 is $200 cheaper the end of next year. and $100 cheaper by next jan if not sooner.

why? competition

the 360s going to drop $100 by summer at latest. and that will make the premium 1/2 the price of the PS3. they're going to need some incentive to get people to do that; BR just wont cut it for that large a gap considering only about 3-4% of households even have HDTVs

[quote name='David85']I'd buy a PS2 then wait for a good game to come out for the PS3 before wasting $700+ on it.[/QUOTE]

That would be a bad investment, unless a "good game" came out after the PS3 was less than $400. If there are no games the OP wants before that price drop, this would be good advice, but chances are, there won't be a drop that big until at least late 2008, by which time there will be plenty of games out.

[quote name='propeller_head']i bet you the PS3 is $200 cheaper the end of next year. and $100 cheaper by next jan if not sooner.

why? competition

the 360s going to drop $100 by summer at latest. and that will make the premium 1/2 the price of the PS3. they're going to need some incentive to get people to do that; BR just wont cut it for that large a gap considering only about 3-4% of households even have HDTVs[/QUOTE]

Well, there seems to be enough people buying the PS3 as it is with the 360 being $200 cheaper and having a much stronger library of games. So, I don't think Sony will feel THAT pressured to drop it to $400 within a year. With more games coming out this year, that is an incentive in itself.

360 seems comfortable at this price, and with Halo 3 on the way, they may as well just stick with the price. Many thought they would drop last xmas too. But, I personally think they will drop this xmas to $300 for the premium, at which point Sony will probably drop to $500 at the least.

[quote name='dpatel']You don't NEED to. There are plenty of free demos, Thousands of PS2/PS1 games, Blu-ray movies, or DVDs you could watch if nothing on the PS3 interests you.

If you plan to get a PS3 in the future, it's wiser to just make the investment now.[/quote]Wow, that's some of the worst advice I've ever seen.

If there's nothing on the PS3 now or in the pipe for a soon release and all you want to do is play PS1/PS2 games, you'd be a fool to spend $600 on a PS3 at the moment. For 1/3 of that cost you could get a PS2 and a ton of software, and whould there come a time when you want to get a PS3 game, you can sell waht you're done with and the PS2 and invest in a PS3, and probably come out ahead with the necessary price drop that PS3 is going to get in the coming year to stay alive.

[quote name='dpatel']Well, there seems to be enough people buying the PS3 as it is with the 360 being $200 cheaper and having a much stronger library of games. So, I don't think Sony will feel THAT pressured to drop it to $400 within a year. With more games coming out this year, that is an incentive in itself.

360 seems comfortable at this price, and with Halo 3 on the way, they may as well just stick with the price. Many thought they would drop last xmas too. But, I personally think they will drop this xmas to $300 for the premium, at which point Sony will probably drop to $500 at the least.[/quote]
PS3 sales have slowed down a whooooole lot. because there are only a certain amount of people who will buy it at one price w/ a certain amount of incentive. when incentive grows more will buy but its a slow process. the 1 major factor is price. and at $600 (the $500 isnt even being carried by most stores anymore) that market is rapidly shrinking.

if they dont drop it at least $100 this year they're in serious trouble

I would only buy the PS3 if you have an HDTV. With only one great game for the PS3 I would feel like the PS3 was a great movie player but the lack of games would make me upset that I was only playing PS2 games on it. The reality is no one knows how fast the PS3 will drop. If it does not sell Sony will be forced to reduce the price faster.

I'm glad to see a few people here can see what's going on.

And you don't need to buy a PS3 game? What the fuck advice is that?!

I'm going to buy a new car and not buy any gas. I don't NEED gas, I'll just sit in the driveway all day.

[quote name='David85']I'm glad to see a few people here can see what's going on.

I'm going to buy a new car and not buy any gas. I don't NEED gas, I'll just sit in the driveway all day.[/quote]They put a little gas in the tank for you. It makes your $20,000 investment worth it.

[quote name='Apossum']as far as the PS3 falling off the market due to it not selling, that's just not going to happen, so I wouldn't worry about it. Gaming forum people might make you think that the PS3 is going to die, but..well, I can't say anything nice here, so I won't say anything at all :lol:[/quote]

Waitaminute, they're still producing PS3s? ;)

[quote name='daroga']Wow, that's some of the worst advice I've ever seen.

If there's nothing on the PS3 now or in the pipe for a soon release and all you want to do is play PS1/PS2 games, you'd be a fool to spend $600 on a PS3 at the moment. For 1/3 of that cost you could get a PS2 and a ton of software, and whould there come a time when you want to get a PS3 game, you can sell waht you're done with and the PS2 and invest in a PS3, and probably come out ahead with the necessary price drop that PS3 is going to get in the coming year to stay alive.[/QUOTE]

Assuming your price drop theory is correct, then yea, my advice might be bad. But we don't know that it will drop and by how much it will drop. If it does drop, then I stand corrected. I personally don't see it dropping until mid-2008, and that's why I advised him the way I did. You advised him under the assumption that it will drop at the end of this year (and if it doesn't, then your advice would be 'some of the worst advice i've ever seen').

Also, note that the EE chip will be removed by this time, meaning some of his games MAY not be BC, so, not only will he be hoping for a price drop, be he will also hope that his games are supported.

[quote name='propeller_head']PS3 sales have slowed down a whooooole lot. because there are only a certain amount of people who will buy it at one price w/ a certain amount of incentive. when incentive grows more will buy but its a slow process. the 1 major factor is price. and at $600 (the $500 isnt even being carried by most stores anymore) that market is rapidly shrinking.

if they dont drop it at least $100 this year they're in serious trouble[/QUOTE]

Price is a major factor, but this time of year in general is slow for console sales. And with no big releases for a while on the PS3, the slow sales are expected. Sales will pick up when more games are released. Whether or not they will pick up enough has yet to be seen.

[quote name='David85']I'm glad to see a few people here can see what's going on.

I'm going to buy a new car and not buy any gas. I don't NEED gas, I'll just sit in the driveway all day.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you don't need a PS3 initially. We are talking about the best advice for the long run. IF he just wants PS2/PS1 games now, but will want PS3 games in the future, it would be smarter to make the investment now and just use it for PS2/PS1 games now. Nowhere does the OP state he wants PS3 games now, so I don't see why you are factoring the cost of a PS3 game.

And, terrible analogy by the way. The PS3 is not useless without PS3 games. It will fit the OPs needs just fine, and if he is ready to play PS3 games in the future, no additional investment will be needed. If he does NOT plan to play PS3 games, then my advice would not really suite his needs.

[quote name='camoor']Waitaminute, they're still producing PS3s? ;)[/QUOTE]

That's it! Close the thread! We have a winner! :)

[quote name='David85']That's it! Close the thread! We have a winner! :)[/QUOTE]
Your bias against the PS3 is so transparent that no one in their right mind would listen to you.

That said, I'm going to change my advice to the OP. Get a PS2. The reason? He doesn't have an HDTV. I know that there are some people here with PS3s and no HDTVs, but I would really recommend getting an HDTV before getting either the PS3 or 360. Without one, you can't fully appreciate the next gen games, you can't enjoy movies in HD, and you can't even get the benefits of PS2 game upscaling (assuming that actually pans out).

[quote name='johnmirra']Somehow even a sony vs sony thread attracts nintendo and microsoft fanboys[/quote]

Haha. Now that is the thread winner!

[quote name='icruise']Your bias against the PS3 is so transparent that no one in their right mind would listen to you.

That said, I'm going to change my advice to the OP. Get a PS2. The reason? He doesn't have an HDTV. I know that there are some people here with PS3s and no HDTVs, but I would really recommend getting an HDTV before getting either the PS3 or 360. Without one, you can't fully appreciate the next gen games, you can't enjoy movies in HD, and you can't even get the benefits of PS2 game upscaling (assuming that actually pans out).[/quote]

I agree, a HDTV is a much better investment than any console. HD cable is so much better than normal ones, and you can then even play movies in 480p (if you don't already have a LCD tv.) And really, without an HDTV, games don't look that much better than last gen.

To answer the OP's question, I think he should buy a PS2. He didn't express any solid reason why he wants a PS3 beyonds backwards compatibility.

If he doesn't care about Blu-Ray movies and is not interested in the current game lineup, then he doesn't have a compelling reason to buy a PS3 at this time. I don't consider the promise of more or better games in the future as a reason to invest in a system now--particularlly one that costs as much as the PS3.

That said, he also didn't say if money was any concern. If cost is not a factor, then I say he should just go buy it and stop posting stupid questions on message boards. ;)

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']I agree, a HDTV is a much better investment than any console. HD cable is so much better than normal ones, and you can then even play movies in 480p (if you don't already have a LCD tv.) And really, without an HDTV, games don't look that much better than last gen.[/quote]

just dont get rid of your old SDTV, cause the majority of programming is still SDTV, and SDTV usually looks like shit on HDTVs.

bread's done
Back