PS3 320GB SATA Internal HDD prices - Amazon.com and Newegg.com

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
not bad. will probably buy one today if nothing pops up.
icon_smile.gif

I have the 320GB Seagate Momentus, and it works like a charm--after my entire music collection, over 15 game installs, and almost every PSN title available, I still have like 175GB's left.

Just an FYI to people new to swapping their PS3's HDD: you would do well to either have replica replacement screws handy OR a Dremel tool. The screws in the PS3's HDD case are machine tightened AND their heads strip with barely any force being applied.

On my second HDD upgrade, my screws actually would not come out--I had to use a Dremel tool to create deep groves in the screw heads, so that they could be loosened with a flat-head screw driver.

You want to make sure you use a screwdriver that matches the size of the screws as well as plenty of linear force into the screw to keep the screwdriver seated and not slipping.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']I didn't need a precision screw driver set to switch out my hard drive. Just make sure the tip of the screw driver you use has a sharp point.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm sure it's *possible* without a set of Precision screwdrivers, but in all the accounts I've read in various forums, it greatly reduces your chances of stripping the screws beyond usability. They are incredibly soft, and incredibly tight.

[quote name='1trueshad0w']I wish there was something like this for the 360.[/quote]

Stated like a true gamer. People consider the 360's "Arcade" sku a "great deal", but when you factor in the cost of a HDD, the price of LIVE, and--sadly--a warranty, the value kinda disappears.

[quote name='coolsteel']It is cheaper to buy an all in one from Lowes or Home Depot, believe it was about 5 something. and comes with a bigger handle then those POS little metal ones.[/quote]

I like the smaller ones because they have the "lazy Susan" for the finger; press with your finger and spin it with two others.
It makes getting the screws out much quicker, safer and simpler- not to mention, much less likely that you over-tighten or strip the screw. Also, some of these smaller set use a low-conductivity or non-conductive tip.

Will an SATA-300 work? I would like to go 750 and just never worry about it again. After I ripped my CD collection to my external HD I had already used 600 GB on it (and that wasn't even loss-less audio).

Oh, I'm sure it's *possible* without a set of Precision screwdrivers, but in all the accounts I've read in various forums, it greatly reduces your chances of stripping the screws beyond usability. They are incredibly soft, and incredibly tight.
Yeah the screws are really soft .I replaced my ps3 hdd today and manged to strip two of the four screws(using the correct screwdriver).I ended up getting them out with a pliers.The good news is that If you call Sony and tell them that you striped the screws they will give you a replacement HDD cradle and screws for free.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Just out of curiosity: What is everyone doing with all this hard drive space on their PS3?[/quote]
For me: Mostly game installs and an aweful lot of music.

[quote name='soriku']Yeah the screws are really soft .I replaced my ps3 hdd today and manged to strip two of the four screws(using the correct screwdriver).I ended up getting them out with a pliers.The good news is that If you call Sony and tell them that you striped the screws they will give you a replacement HDD cradle and screws for free.[/QUOTE]

I called about that not long ago, the guy confirmed yes I am getting the cradle and screws. I get an envelope in the mail with the screws and nothing else. Sort of made me laugh since by then I had just used a dremel to break the old screws off.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Just out of curiosity: What is everyone doing with all this hard drive space on their PS3?[/QUOTE]

Demos and downloaded games, Siren isn't easy on the hard drive space

[quote name='shrike4242']320GB..[/quote]

Thanks for keeping me posted again Shrike.

Ashame I missed out on the first 320GB that was posted before this for $60.. ((After $20 Mail in Rebate))

Something came up and I couldnt get it in time..time ran out Nov. 30th correct?

In time maybe there might be another deal close to it..or even better. Hopefully .. : )

[quote name='shrike4242']320GB WD Scorpio Blue - $76.90 @ Amazon.com w/FSSS:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0011U65F2/ref=nosim/cheapassgam08-20
[/quote]

I was checking out that exact drive. its been in my wish list for awhile , i was thinking that it would drop alot in price for cyber monday but it stayed the same price .
Since their others that think its a great drive for the ps3 im going to get it to day
Moneysoft should do something like this for the 360 cause $150(i think) for 120gig hd is not cool at all.

320 GB? I'm waiting until 7200 rpm 500 GB drives come out early next year which should cause 5400 rpm drives to drop in price. From what I read, 7200 vs 5400 isn't going to make a big difference on PS3.

[quote name='alecjahn']You want to make sure you use a screwdriver that matches the size of the screws as well as plenty of linear force into the screw to keep the screwdriver seated and not slipping.[/quote]
This sums it up, I have replaced the hard drives on both of my PS3 systems, twice on my original 60gb and never stripped a screw head. Just dont go at it like a caveman and you will be fine. They are not as bad as people make them out to be.

[quote name='AwRy108']
Just an FYI to people new to swapping their PS3's HDD: you would do well to either have replica replacement screws handy OR a Dremel tool. The screws in the PS3's HDD case are machine tightened AND their heads strip with barely any force being applied.
.[/quote]

This guy speaks the truth. I nearly ruining my first drive trying to take off those damn screws. I have the right screw drivers for the job and I had a difficult time removing them. I managed to bend the tray that was holding the drive! Luckliy, I was able to bend it back into place and things are working again.

When I upgraded the hard drive on my PS3 (with the Hitachi TravelStar deal that was around a few weeks back), the screws were giving me problems, so I just took a pair of needle nose pliers, gripped the screws by the edges and forced them to turn that way. It worked well and nothing was stripped, although having pliers with compound leverage did help.

It's true about the stupid screws, managed to get 3 screws perfectly but the 4th and last one had the stupid tip of the head all messed up. I did bend the metal tray that was holding the hdd in place, I had to use pliers to rotate the screw slowly and took it out. Everything went ok :)
I have a 500 gb 5400 rpm Samsung hdd from newegg for $99
pretty nice deal and now I have all the demos from the psn and lots of music and lots of movies as well. :whistle2:D I would recc. a bigger drive to anyone, you will never run out of space again on your ps3 :)

Now if the 360 had something like this so hat I could install the games instead of installing and erasing, sucks to have a20 gb hdd for the 360.
I refuse to pay more than $70 for the 1220 gb hdd being the cheap ass that I am :whistle2:D lol.

really easy to swap out the hdd on the ps3. make sure you back up your hdd 1st, I used my old ipod to back up my ps3 and it worked lol.

I got in on the Hitachi 320 GB drive a couple weeks ago when it was $59.00 after rebate.

Also, maybe its just me but I have an older 40GB model, but I had no trouble at all with the hard drive screws, I was expecting them to give me a pain since I read so much about them but they just came right out, No force needed. I had the old one out and the new 320Gb drive installed in a matter of under 5 minutes.

Just make sure before you replace your drive that you back up your current drive to a USB drive. Then you can do a restore when you get the new one installed. THis took about 10 minutes to do.

Also, I picked up the Nippon Labs EN-25SATA 2.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure from newegg it works great and was cheap too $11.89 with FREE SHIPPING!!

Here is the link
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817816001

[quote name='liquidgraffiti']It's true about the stupid screws, managed to get 3 screws perfectly but the 4th and last one had the stupid tip of the head all messed up. I did bend the metal tray that was holding the hdd in place, I had to use pliers to rotate the screw slowly and took it out. Everything went ok :)
I have a 500 gb 5400 rpm Samsung hdd from newegg for $99
pretty nice deal and now I have all the demos from the psn and lots of music and lots of movies as well. :whistle2:D I would recc. a bigger drive to anyone, you will never run out of space again on your ps3 :)

Now if the 360 had something like this so hat I could install the games instead of installing and erasing, sucks to have a20 gb hdd for the 360.
I refuse to pay more than $70 for the 1220 gb hdd being the cheap ass that I am :whistle2:D lol.

really easy to swap out the hdd on the ps3. make sure you back up your hdd 1st, I used my old ipod to back up my ps3 and it worked lol.[/QUOTE]

There is a way if you are willing to work a little:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150970/upgrade_your_xbox_360s_hard_drive_on_the_cheap.html

By the way, for others asking about choosing between the 2.5" drives. I have done some research the Seagate Momentus 7200.3 is the fastest of the bunch with the lowest power use (more important for laptop users, but is negligable). Anyhow. the Seagate have had a higher than normal report of faulty drives. Read newegg reviews and reports elsewhere on the net.

The Hitachi isn't far behind Seagate in performance, but I have not seen or read anything bad about this drive yet....

I was thinking of doing this but I have the 120gig on my 360 and haven't used much of it at all. I have 80 on the PS3 and I am ok with that. NOw I want to increase the gigs on my mac book 13 inch but i am scared .... I know this isn't the forum for this, but does anyone have a good link for a HDD for a macbook?????

hey guys quick question. How do i submit this rebate. It needs some sort of receipt which i have and the sticker off the item? am i reading that correctly?

You can print receipts from your account on NewEgg.

HailGalvatron - the Macbook accepts any 2.5" laptop HDD.

[quote name='shadylane']hey guys quick question. How do i submit this rebate. It needs some sort of receipt which i have and the sticker off the item? am i reading that correctly?[/quote]

[quote name='Gandhi']You can print receipts from your account on NewEgg.

HailGalvatron - the Macbook accepts any 2.5" laptop HDD.[/quote]

Indeed. Just print up the order summary from Newegg. They don't send you receipt...just a shipping invoice.

This fuckin' sucks....I just paid about 60 dollars after a 24 dollar gift card at CC for a 160!

I could have used prime shipping and got this 320 today to put in my now non-defective laptop

thanx OP, picked up the western digital 320. Sure some rebate offer will pop-up soon after I receive this but, I really need to upgrade and $75 with prime works for me

I'm about to pounce on one of these. Few quick question s though.

1) I have gigs and gigs of downloads. Do I have to redownload everything?

2) Any guide to replacing the drive?

3) Isn't Fujitsu the same and just cheaper?

[quote name='Taboner']I'm about to pounce on one of these. Few quick question s though.

1) I have gigs and gigs of downloads. Do I have to redownload everything?

2) Any guide to replacing the drive?

3) Isn't Fujitsu the same and just cheaper?[/quote]

Ok, sometimes people need a bit of common sense. If you are buying a new harddrive, why would you expect your old downloads to be on there? Yes you have to download them over. If you bought it on the PSN, then you should just be able to go to the store and go to your downloads and re-download it.

2. It's real easy, at the bottom of the ps3, you pop the little cover there and then unscrew the blue screw, and you take out the harddrive which is in an enclosure. then you unscrew the 4 screws and take the actual hd out and put the new one in.
The screws do strip pretty easily and i had a pretty hard time taking (especially the blue one) off. I had to use pliers and really use some force.

3. I don't know about fujitsu, i bought toshiba but i read some of the reviews and they seem to be pretty good

Sorry. I thought maybe the files can be saved on a computer and dragged and dropped. Any formatting needed? What is the biggest HD size available for a PS3?

bread's done
Back