PS3 3D Display $349.99 Newegg

I think $250 is my point also, I'm actually kinda surprised at how fast/often this thing has dropped... Most of the actual PS branded stuff doesn't do that so much. I suppose they weren't as successful as Sony had hoped? Either way, 24" is a bit to small for me, but if it gets down to my $250 price point, I fear I may not be able to resist. :lol:

I bought one of these from best buy for 299 but decided to return it before opening it...I have read a TON of bad user reviews on this for people using it as a PC monitor(including a few on newegg). There are a lot of reports of "handshake" errors with the hdmi hook up, where the screen randomly goes black. Ive also read that Sony customer support on it is really bad if you have any problems, Sony bounces you between TV and playstation support. They also seem to just say if you have any problems hooking it up to a non sony product you need to contact the manufacturer of your PC(which basically means your SOL). I ended up buying a really nice PC monitor that also does 3d instead.

[quote name='caltab']I bought one of these from best buy for 299 but decided to return it before opening it...I have read a TON of bad user reviews on this for people using it as a PC monitor(including a few on newegg). There are a lot of reports of "handshake" errors with the hdmi hook up, where the screen randomly goes black. Ive also read that Sony customer support on it is really bad if you have any problems, Sony bounces you between TV and playstation support. They also seem to just say if you have any problems hooking it up to a non sony product you need to contact the manufacturer of your PC(which basically means your SOL). I ended up buying a really nice PC monitor that also does 3d instead.[/QUOTE]

that's a bummer about pc incompatibility, I was going too get this as a full time pc monitor and part time gaming display.

I have 2 of these right now from bestbuy. One had a dead pixel. The other seemed like it had backlighting issues, but it was just that the default 50 brightness setting was not the same on both, and I had to set one lower to make it look like the other. I'm guessing a lot of them come with weird variances in calibrations. Warm on one set looked like Cold on the other, even the speakers seemed slightly different. The 3D works good, but the small size is something I'm still considering if it's worth it to me. Also, I occasionally see a lot of slight double images on some games. Not sure if it's just my eyes not being able to converge completely, the display, or the game having issues.

[quote name='scottman']
I occasionally see a lot of slight double images on some games. Not sure if it's just my eyes not being able to converge completely, the display, or the game having issues.[/QUOTE]

It's called 'ghosting' when viewing 3D.
Google it for more info.

[quote name='Mixer236']I think $250 is my point also, I'm actually kinda surprised at how fast/often this thing has dropped... Most of the actual PS branded stuff doesn't do that so much. I suppose they weren't as successful as Sony had hoped? Either way, 24" is a bit to small for me, but if it gets down to my $250 price point, I fear I may not be able to resist. :lol:[/QUOTE]

250 is my buy point too. I'd use it as a 3d tv computer monitor.

I bought one at BestBuy during the $299 sale. Returned the first one due to a stuck pixel, haven't opened the replacement yet, but I opted in for the 4 year BestBuy warranty given all the issues these things have been having.

Bought one from BestBuy also at 299. I am using it as my third PC monitor (main is 24 the second is 17. Therefore, this one does not feel that small, but wish it was bigger) and occasional PS3 gaming. Since I don't play PC games, 3D for PC does not interest me.

Good
- Good color (i tend to mess around colors when I get a new TV/monitor. This one, it just feels right out of the box)
- Crisp screen (maybe because I was used to my old Dell LCD monitor, this one looks really nice)
- Decent audio (not great but does the job)

Bad
- Glossy screen (personal preference maybe, but i hate glossy screens)
- 3D gaming is bit darker than I would like. The problem is if the brightness is full (to have a decent light for 3D gaming), the text is too bright for reading when it is used for PC. Especially on white background. So the brightness is a little bit down, which makes 3D gaming dark :p

Others
- I didn't have handshake issue or other connection related issue.
- Price is still too much I think. 250 or lower seems reasonable.
- 3D for gaming is only 720p 60fps (120hz total). For 3D movies, 1080p 24fps. You may want to have glorious 1080p 60fps 3D but, no dice.
- 3D effects depend on the contents a lot. Some games/movies pretty good, but most of time mediocre. Tekken Hybrid 3D movie is actually pretty good as a 3D video :p The game, TTT2, is pretty bad as a 3D demo. Jaggies are more noticeable, can see framedrops too. Hope they fix it when the TTT2 comes out.

So beware of buying it without understanding its limitations. I am happy with the thing, but could be cheaper for sure.

Just my small inputs

*edit
About ghosting. Yes it is there, for certain contents only. Weird :p Didn't see on movies and most games, but some games do have one very badly. GOW Ghost of Sparta, and Tekken Hybrid TTT2 prologue come to the mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back