PS3 40GB: Should I buy or not?

Tyga24

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Here's the deal: a 3-month old 40GB PS3 (includes box with everything) and Burnout Paradise for $250 that expires tomorrow.

First of all is this a good deal for this particular package? Also, how hard is it to clean up whatever the previous user has put on the system. Is it possible to transfer the registration of the system with Sony?

I would prefer a 60GB or 80GB but I still have a PS2 slim that I rarely use anymore. The issue is that I dont play games much anymore because I have been so busy. After talking with a friend, he offered to let me borrow his spare 60GB until December, when he's going to give it to his cousin.

So I'm wondering whether I should go for the deal on the 40GB now, or just borrow my friends system and wait for people to dump their 60 and 80GB versions. Thanks for any input.

If you need backwards compatibility, this one is not for you, but I have to say, that's a pretty good price.

[quote name='Tyga24']Here's the deal: a 3-month old 40GB PS3 (includes box with everything) and Burnout Paradise for $250 that expires tomorrow.

First of all is this a good deal for this particular package? Also, how hard is it to clean up whatever the previous user has put on the system. Is it possible to transfer the registration of the system with Sony?

I would prefer a 60GB or 80GB but I still have a PS2 slim that I rarely use anymore. The issue is that I dont play games much anymore because I have been so busy. After talking with a friend, he offered to let me borrow his spare 60GB until December, when he's going to give it to his cousin.

So I'm wondering whether I should go for the deal on the 40GB now, or just borrow my friends system and wait for people to dump their 60 and 80GB versions. Thanks for any input.[/QUOTE]

No, I don't need backwards compatibility as I still have my slim PS2. I was just wondering if the 40GB was further gimped other than the BC, USB ports, and card reader. It seems that the value of the 40GB isn't as strong as the 60 or 80GB.

[quote name='tiggerkiddo']They all have built in wireless.[/quote]

Actually, if I remember correctly, the 20gb model did NOT have wireless built in.

Oh and Tyga24, can I be your friends cousin, since I'd LOVE IT if someone gave me a 60 gb PS3.

As for the 40 gb model, it's decent and I've had no complaints about it really.

ALL PS3's still have PS1 BC, but PS2 BC is going away again once the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundles are sold out.

You are correct so every PS3 but the 20GB have wireless.

40 GB does have 2 less USB ports and no slots for Card readers (SD Flash, Memory stick..etc). It's a good deal but if you can find a 60GB version, I'd recommend that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Actually, if I remember correctly, the 20gb model did NOT have wireless built in.

Oh and Tyga24, can I be your friends cousin, since I'd LOVE IT if someone gave me a 60 gb PS3.

As for the 40 gb model, it's decent and I've had no complaints about it really.

ALL PS3's still have PS1 BC, but PS2 BC is going away again once the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundles are sold out.[/quote]

My friend's cousin lives overseas and it's more expensive and difficult to find over there. He said if family didn't have priority he definitely would have sold the 60GB to me (a coworker friend of his sold it to him for $200!)

I'm just wary of overpaying for the system, especially a used one.

Do any of you actually have the 40GB model or is it mostly the 60GB and 80GB versions?

As my response denotes, I have the 40gb PS3 and while it does run hot and loud(at times), it's a reliable system and well worth the price you've been offered one at.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']As my response denotes, I have the 40gb PS3 and while it does run hot and loud(at times), it's a reliable system and well worth the price you've been offered one at.[/QUOTE]

Note that the 40GB model is the quietest and is the most energy efficient of the PS3 models. But I'm not sure how it compares to the 360.

I'd get it because it sounds like you don't need BC so there's no reason to get the 20/60/80GB models.

[quote name='Vinny']Note that the 40GB model is the quietest and is the most energy efficient of the PS3 models. But I'm not sure how it compares to the 360.

I'd get it because it sounds like you don't need BC so there's no reason to get the 20/60/80GB models.[/quote]

If the 40gb model is quiet compared to the other ones, then I can only imagine how much like a jet plane those sound once they start ramping up to do some heavy duty processing.

I sit almost next to my PS3, which is next to my bed in my room, so maybe it's a bit loud in my opinion since I'm so close to it. But, my one buddy even noticed how loud his families 40gb is and was like 'wtf is that'.

The more processing power each console has, the more it'll have to strain to keep cool under such conditions I guess.

Hell, even the display models at places like Gamestop and WalMart are LOUD in my opinion, but again with more processing power comes more fanpower needed to keep everything cool.

By comparison though, when I first start up my PS3 and I'm just messing around in the XMB it's so quiet you almost have to keep checking to see if it's on.

Oh and for the record, if anyone contemplating a PS3 is going to play it in a small room in the summertime, AC is a MUST unless you want your room's temperature to go up at least 2-5 degrees or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're paying a shade over half the price of buying a new ps3 and a new copy of the game (roughly 460$ pre-tax). An awesome deal, your friend could probably make more money looking elsewhere e.g. ebay.

If you are aiming/worried about being able to get a 60 gb ps3 for the same price, forget it. Used PS3 60 gigs still tend to fetch 350-400$ for just the system sans games. While 80 gigs will be a bit cheaper, I still doubt you'd find one for less than the 275-300 range, unless you are very lucky.

I would say whole-heartedly take the deal.

bread's done
Back