PS3 (60GB) Died, Can't Access Data

blazsox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Long story short my launch PS3 died on me about a month ago. It began to consistently overheat causing it to shut down after a few minutes. My goal was to get on and manually copy save files to my external HDD but now when I turn it on its on for maybe a second and goes immediately off. I have no way of accessing my files.

Thankfully my profile was already synched to the PSN so I won't lose any trophy data or anything else that requires synching.

If I were to take out my PS3 HDD (which is a 250GB HDD I bought off Newegg awhile back) and put it into an external enclosure, could I extract my save files from it that way?

op is it the ylod or is it just dead? if its the ylod you can do a quick fix that could get it up and running long enough to get your data off. if you can do a video of what it does when you turn it on or see if someone on youtube has posted one like what youre going through.

I dont see any yellow light. I hit the power button, it goes green for a second, then switches to a blinking red light. The fan attempts to kick on but then just dies right after.

[quote name='gamer4432']I dont see any yellow light. I hit the power button, it goes green for a second, then switches to a blinking red light. The fan attempts to kick on but then just dies right after.[/QUOTE]
thats symptomatic of the YLOD. Did you get your PS3 in 2007? Alot of 60gbs tend to go bad after 3 years. Mine had the same problem back in May

I used a guy on ebay that another CAG had good look with he owns a re-flow machine, he did a good job and he guarantees his work for a year

[quote name='Havok83']thats symptomatic of the YLOD. Did you get your PS3 in 2007? Alot of 60gbs tend to go bad after 3 years. Mine had the same problem back in May[/QUOTE]

I got mine in March 2007.

[quote name='kube00']I used a guy on ebay that another CAG had good look with he owns a re-flow machine, he did a good job and he guarantees his work for a year[/QUOTE]

Does he still do this stuff? Rates reasonable?

[quote name='gamer4432']

Does he still do this stuff? Rates reasonable?[/QUOTE]
There's a link to the guy in this thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259758

Although, to warn you, look at the date that thread was created and let me tell you that he just got my PS3 back to me last week (if you're too lazy to do the math, it was 6 months). And, I'm not even sure if the one he sent back is working because I bought a slim like 2 months ago because I got tired of waiting.

Long story short, don't waste your time with that guy.

^^^ This

Yeah, my PS3 returned this weekend from this guy. I had my system reballed, and now it's working as good as new. You might have to wait a while to get your system worked on, since the repair guy has to work on the systems in the order he receives them (ended up waiting a month to get mine repaired).

The $60 he was charging was for the reflow, which he doesn't offer anymore, and isn't a permanent fix (I know, since that was the first of two jobs he did on my PS3, the other of which was reballing). Supposedly a reballing repair is a more permanent solution to the YLOD problem, and you get a year warranty on the work done by this guy. Best of all, I didn't lose any of my data, and I didn't lose any gameshare activations or anything like that...I'd recommend him, he's really good.

I'm going to attempt the heat gun method myself. $120 for him to reball the system (which I know is a more permanent solution) is too much, considering I didn't want to spend the $150 Sony wanted for a repair. I'm simply looking to get my system to stay on long enough to backup my data (or at worst, stay on for 30 minutes to manually copy game saves).

I'm already in the process of opening up the system and cleaning out the parts, and I ordered myself a heat gun and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound from Amazon. I plan to buy my Slim unit today from BBY.

[quote name='gamer4432']I got mine in March 2007.

[/QUOTE]
lol...Not surprise. They seem to have a 3 year lifespan before they go bad

I used Gophermods to repair mine. I think the turnaround was less than 2 weeks and they charge $70. Overall Ive been satisfied

http://www.gophermods.com/

[quote name='freakyzeeky']^^^ This

Yeah, my PS3 returned this weekend from this guy. I had my system reballed, and now it's working as good as new. You might have to wait a while to get your system worked on, since the repair guy has to work on the systems in the order he receives them (ended up waiting a month to get mine repaired).

The $60 he was charging was for the reflow, which he doesn't offer anymore, and isn't a permanent fix (I know, since that was the first of two jobs he did on my PS3, the other of which was reballing). Supposedly a reballing repair is a more permanent solution to the YLOD problem, and you get a year warranty on the work done by this guy. Best of all, I didn't lose any of my data, and I didn't lose any gameshare activations or anything like that...I'd recommend him, he's really good.[/QUOTE]

You live in Oakland and you shipped it? Why? You're like stepping distance from Geeky Hacks. You would have had your system in and out within a matter of hours. Geeky Hacks reballs it and it's overall cheaper then sending it in and getting it fixed.

If mine breaks I rather spend the four hours driving and having it fixed then shipping it out.

[quote name='Paco']You live in Oakland and you shipped it? Why? You're like stepping distance from Geeky Hacks. You would have had your system in and out within a matter of hours. Geeky Hacks reballs it and it's overall cheaper then sending it in and getting it fixed.

If mine breaks I rather spend the four hours driving and having it fixed then shipping it out.[/QUOTE]

Never really heard of Geeky Hacks... :cry: though if I had, I probably would have went to them to have my system serviced. Hmmm, maybe the next time I have a problem with my system, I'll make a point to go to them.

[quote name='gamer4432']I'm going to attempt the heat gun method myself. $120 for him to reball the system (which I know is a more permanent solution) is too much, considering I didn't want to spend the $150 Sony wanted for a repair. I'm simply looking to get my system to stay on long enough to backup my data (or at worst, stay on for 30 minutes to manually copy game saves).

I'm already in the process of opening up the system and cleaning out the parts, and I ordered myself a heat gun and Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound from Amazon. I plan to buy my Slim unit today from BBY.[/QUOTE]

goodluck trying the fix man it can be intimidating to open up a ps3 the first time but once you get in there its easy enough to do. btw dont forget to deactivate your accounts on that ps3.

[quote name='gamer4432']How do I deactivate when I can't turn it on?[/QUOTE]

no im saying once you get it working to deactivate it from that console.

[quote name='62t']how long would it last after being fixed?[/QUOTE]

if youre talking about the heat gun fix maybe a month or 2 at the most before itd need to be fixed again.

[quote name='lokizz']no im saying once you get it working to deactivate it from that console.[/QUOTE]

Oh yea, I know all about that. Once I get it running again, I'm backing it up and deactivating it. Then it is onto my Slim. Got a serious Bluray backlog building up.

Sucks man I feel for you. I still have my launch model 60 gig. She's running real strong still. It's a bit louder than it once was but it still runs like a champion. Why sony won't let you pop in your HD into a new PS3 is beyond me. I think thats one of the dumbest things about the PS3.

Pretty much decided to give Gopher Mods a shot instead of doing it myself. Was going to cost me about $50 for a heat gun and thermal compound, for $20 more I can get a professional to do it instead. Plus me with any kind of gun is probably not a good idea. I'd probably roast the board into extra crispy chips and circuits.

[quote name='kube00']I used a guy on ebay that another CAG had good look with he owns a re-flow machine, he did a good job and he guarantees his work for a year[/QUOTE]

Yeah i used a guy off ebay too who had great feedback and guaranteed to fix it or refund shipping +payment.

Think it was around 30dollars +shipping to get it fixed.

well worth it.

bread's done
Back