PS3 60gb for $384 shipped

That website doesnt seem very trusty... by the way does anybody know if the 60GBs were cancelled in Japan cause I'm sure PlayAsia is still selling them.

That website sucks turd. Anyone on Howard Forums (biggest boards on the net for cell phone) can tell you they are not a very good site. Their service is quite poor and getting ahold of anyone is next to impossible

I've purchased a few phones from that site in the past and my experiences have been great. I've emailed them a few times (pre and post purchase) and have gotten a response within 24 hours every time. The shipping rates were a little high IMO but I'm in OR and the stuff shipps from NY with 2day service so I guess I got my money's worth. Additionally they offer local pick up.

While I admit its been a while I can't believe the site has turned to junk as most people are saying? I would still recommend them and as long as you are smart about online purchasing, even if there were a problem, you should be able to "fix" it easily.

So if you are ok with a Japanese PS3, its a great buy.

[quote name='Lsgun1']The system is region free for new games but it won't play ps2/ps1 games that are NTSC, same with DVDs.[/quote]
Yep. You'd have a great system for playing any PS3 game and any Japanese Blu-ray, DVD and PSOne/2 discs though. Which would be okay with me. I have a ton of Japanese PSOne/2 games, and I've got an American PS2 for the remaining US PS2 games I still wanna play.

I still can't afford $384... :( Sigh. Even if the site did turn out okay.

Why are you guys so against the site? It looked okay to me, other than the "We're upgrading our PayPal server. Please use Google Checkout in the meantime" note.

I'm all paranoid now! Again, not that I can afford it, but damn it's tempting.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Yep. You'd have a great system for playing any PS3 game and any Japanese/US Blu-ray, DVD and PSOne/2 discs though. Which would be okay with me. I have a ton of Japanese PSOne/2 games, and I've got an American PS2 for the remaining US PS2 games I still wanna play.

I still can't afford $384... :( Sigh. Even if the site did turn out okay.

Why are you guys so against the site? It looked okay to me, other than the "We're upgrading our PayPal server. Please use Google Checkout in the meantime" note.

I'm all paranoid now! Again, not that I can afford it, but damn it's tempting.[/quote]Bolded a correction; Japan and US are Region A for BD, so either will work. Not too bad at all.

[quote name='Watchman']"Recommended accessories: Bluetooth Headset".

:dunce: WTF?![/QUOTE]

It's because the ps3 uses any Bluetooth Headset as a headset so if the same one you have with your cell phone that will work with ps3. That way you can talk online.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']Bolded a correction; Japan and US are Region A for BD, so either will work. Not too bad at all.[/quote]

Whaa? I had no idea! That's fricking nice! I hate all this region junk. I understand why they do it, but it's a huge pain for the bi-cultural consumer. The only Blu-rays I'd want would be North American or Japanese anyway, though, so that's perfect for me.

As for the bluetooth headset, PS3 is Bluetooth compatible, so maybe it'd work with games? If it would work with Warhawk, and if it's cheaper than $20, and doesn't suck, it might be a good deal. That way you could download Warhawk for $40 instead of buying it for $60. If you're into Warhawk, I mean... That's one that I'd be buying. :)

Any bluetooth headset should work with the PS3 on games that support it. Warhawk is one of those games.

[quote name='TehTriggerman']Will an american PS3 60GB play japanese and Pal PS2 games?[/quote]

Nope. Region free-ness does not extend to PS2 or PS1 games or DVDs.

ok there was someone saying that usa blu ray discs would work and several that said only japanese. which is it?

i will finally take the plunge if u can play american blu ray movies

[quote name='thumbelina']Looks really sketchy to me...[/quote]

What in particular looks sketchy about it? No one is really singling anything out. Other than the low reviews for customer support, it seems okay to me. Using Paypal or Google checkout, buyers should be protected against fraud.

[quote name='GeneralJenkins']ok there was someone saying that usa blu ray discs would work and several that said only japanese. which is it?[/quote]

Blu-ray discs are encoded by region, and Japan and North America are in the same region (strangely). Therefore Japanese PS3s will, in fact, play American Blu-ray discs. PS3 games are not region-coded (I haven't heard of any being region-coded, but the option is there if developers use it), so Japanese PS3s will play American games.

So yes. If that's what you were looking for, go ahead and buy it. You have my permission.

[quote name='thumbelina']Looks really sketchy to me...[/quote]
What in particular looks sketchy about it? No one is really singling anything out. Other than the low reviews for customer support, it seems okay to me. Using Paypal or Google checkout, buyers should be protected against fraud.

[quote name='GeneralJenkins']ok there was someone saying that usa blu ray discs would work and several that said only japanese. which is it?[/quote]
Blu-ray discs are encoded by region, and Japan and North America are in the same region (strangely). Therefore Japanese PS3s will, in fact, play American Blu-ray discs. PS3 games are not region-coded (I haven't heard of any being region-coded, but the option is there if developers want to use it), so Japanese PS3s will play American games.

It won't play American PSOne or PS2 games, though, nor American DVDs. I wish we'd do away with all this region coding nonsense altogether.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']What in particular looks sketchy about it? No one is really singling anything out. Other than the low reviews for customer support, it seems okay to me. Using Paypal or Google checkout, buyers should be protected against fraud.

Blu-ray discs are encoded by region, and Japan and North America are in the same region (strangely). Therefore Japanese PS3s will, in fact, play American Blu-ray discs. PS3 games are not region-coded (I haven't heard of any being region-coded, but the option is there if developers want to use it), so Japanese PS3s will play American games.

It won't play American PSOne or PS2 games, though, nor American DVDs. I wish we'd do away with all this region coding nonsense altogether.[/quote]And all DRM altogether. At this point ifis remotely possible that it can be stollen, it'll be stollen. I recently had some problems with my monitor not being recognized as DCHP compliant, and so I couldn't use my $180 360 addon and my $100 video card I bought specifically for using said add-on. Luckily there was some update to my ATI software or something and it worked (and then I realized that AnyDVD will allow you to bypass all of that anyway... proving my earlier point). All DRM is worthless, pointless, and only makes things harder for the real consumer, the one that is paying for it all. Everyone else gets around it.

/rant

Yep, I pretty much agree. (I only say "pretty much" because I'm not totally educated in it all.)

I think they like to keep stuff sold in one region from being used in another, although I'm not sure why. But if that were the case, why are Japan and North America both under the same region for Blu-ray? They seem to be moving towards the direction of parity, at least as far as Japan/NA are concerned, with Blu-ray and PS3 games working on consoles from both areas.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Yep, I pretty much agree. (I only say "pretty much" because I'm not totally educated in it all.)

I think they like to keep stuff sold in one region from being used in another, although I'm not sure why. But if that were the case, why are Japan and North America both under the same region for Blu-ray? They seem to be moving towards the direction of parity, at least as far as Japan/NA are concerned, with Blu-ray and PS3 games working on consoles from both areas.[/quote]I believe with regions it has more to do with release dates of movies - the US is usually first to see a movie hit theaters, and then later, home. If a movie were available for all regions, Aussies would simply import the DVD as it hit theaters in their area, months before the DVD release for them. I believe that's the idea. I say, let them. Theaters are on the way out anyway. If you want more control look towards a worldwide release schedule. How can it be so hard, especially in contries where the primary language is the language of the film?
I wonder if Jap and US are same region for BD because of the language barrier...

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']What in particular looks sketchy about it? No one is really singling anything out. Other than the low reviews for customer support, it seems okay to me. Using Paypal or Google checkout, buyers should be protected against fraud.

It won't play American PSOne or PS2 games, though, nor American DVDs. I wish we'd do away with all this region coding nonsense altogether.[/quote]

Actually there is no region coding for PS3 games, but there are region specific locks. On Kotaku.com, they found out Japanese PS3s blocked out blood from Uncharted. The discs were American retail. These same discs showed blood in Uncharted on an American PS3. So depending on the system, some features may be locked.

[quote name='darkclawsofchaos']Actually there is no region coding for PS3 games, but there are region specific locks. On Kotaku.com, they found out Japanese PS3s blocked out blood from Uncharted. The discs were American retail. These same discs showed blood in Uncharted on an American PS3. So depending on the system, some features may be locked.[/quote]

That's interesting. I don't care about blood myself, but depending on other specific features, that could be a problem.

The Japanese release of No More Heroes (on Wii) didn't have blood, but the American version loads it on. Lame.

bread's done
Back