ps3 640 gb hard drive for $99.

It should be able to use any 2.5" (laptop standard) SATA hard drive that fits, which is almost all of them. There's 1TB drives available too but they're over 200 dollars a pop right now.

Gah! I'd totally get in on this, but I stripped two of the screws and I'm not going through the hassle of changing hard drives again. Still, that's a lot of gigs for little cash.

This is the largest capacity the PS3 (and most devices) can use until they refine hard drive technology more because bigger drives have an extra disk platter and are too tall to actually fit.

[quote name='Animefalcon']Fat32 isnt exactly the best file system either :( EXT3 they should have used[/QUOTE]

Internally the ps3 does not seems to use fat 32 that only seems to be the case when using external drives.

[quote name='z3razerviper']Internally the ps3 does not seems to use fat 32 that only seems to be the case when using external drives.[/QUOTE]
I bought the 500gig version of this drive and installed it yesterday but first I had to format my external to Fat32 to back up my crap. It drove me half crazy..... :cry:

First I noticed that Western Digital had a program to do this for their external drives but it wouldn't install on Windows 7 64bit, then I tried it the cmd way then after 2 hours it said it was to big...... Finally I stole someones laptop with XP and tried the first option again, it took 40 seconds to finish..... O_O

Edit: BTW, Amazon matched these prices when I got it 2 days ago. I don't know if they have all the sizes but yurburp.....

Here's the 500gig: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...F8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&qid=1262369147&sr=1-1
That size box thing is a lilltle messed up to be careful, kay?

its 119 when you add it to your cart, but use the coupon code (EMCMNPM44) at check out and it takes the price down to $99.

Well, I've been putting off upgrading for a while now, but I finally bit and am in for one. I'm so tired of clearing space on my 60 Gig just to play a newly purchased game. Plus I am constantly having to delete demos that I'm not even done playing. Poor God of War demo :whistle2:(

[quote name='spikespeigel']Gah! I'd totally get in on this, but I stripped two of the screws and I'm not going through the hassle of changing hard drives again. Still, that's a lot of gigs for little cash.[/QUOTE]

When you remove the screws on your hard drive, make sure you have a pair of pliers to loosen the screws first. They will strip otherwise.

It is a PITA to change drives, I just got the 320g Western Digital for 55$ off amazon. It took me about 20 hours to install and patch all my games (burnout is a pain). 640gb is overkill, If you will never need that much use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011U65F2/ref=oss_T15_product

[quote name='skateraXVIII']A bit overkill IMO.[/QUOTE]

that's what i though too.

don't think i'll be getting this since i only need 20 gigs, haha.

[quote name='USB Cable']I bought the 500gig version of this drive and installed it yesterday but first I had to format my external to Fat32 to back up my crap. It drove me half crazy..... :cry:

First I noticed that Western Digital had a program to do this for their external drives but it wouldn't install on Windows 7 64bit, then I tried it the cmd way then after 2 hours it said it was to big...... Finally I stole someones laptop with XP and tried the first option again, it took 40 seconds to finish..... O_O

Edit: BTW, Amazon matched these prices when I got it 2 days ago. I don't know if they have all the sizes but yurburp.....

Here's the 500gig: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digit...F8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&qid=1262369147&sr=1-1
That size box thing is a lilltle messed up to be careful, kay?[/QUOTE]

I just did the same and did not have to do that. And when I took it back out of the ps3 after formating and restoring data just to look it said the format was raw not fat 32. Maybe it need to be formated so the partion table could be created or something.

Do NOT say this is a limit on hard drive size for laptop drives.
Western Digital already has 1TB available for $200. Do NOT fool people into thinking there's a software limit.

If you can find a laptop sata drive, it WILL work in the PS3. So years from now when they're on 4TB drives, it'll work.

[quote name='M3wThr33']Do NOT say this is a limit on hard drive size for laptop drives.
Western Digital already has 1TB available for $200. Do NOT fool people into thinking there's a software limit.

If you can find a laptop sata drive, it WILL work in the PS3. So years from now when they're on 4TB drives, it'll work.[/QUOTE]

That 1 TB as well as their 750GB are literally too big to fit in a PS3. The most common size is 9.5 mm high, whereas those are 12.5 mm (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=685). It would only fit if you want to take apart the entire system and modify the drive bay, so it's probably better to just wait for SSD capacities to get higher instead.

western digital is terrible. i rather have seagate which is more reliable. i've got a seagate 500gb w/ 7200rpm for $56 shipped off Ebay. you'll find awesome deals on there on "newly listed" hard drives.

[quote name='z3razerviper']I just did the same and did not have to do that. And when I took it back out of the ps3 after formating and restoring data just to look it said the format was raw not fat 32. Maybe it need to be formated so the partion table could be created or something.[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure what you mean but the problem I had was with my external drive formatted in NTFS originally, the internal drive was fine.

[quote name='USB Cable']I'm not sure what you mean but the problem I had was with my external drive formatted in NTFS originally, the internal drive was fine.[/QUOTE]

I thought we were talking only internal.

[quote name='wolverinevseveryone']western digital is terrible. i rather have seagate which is more reliable. i've got a seagate 500gb w/ 7200rpm for $56 shipped off Ebay. you'll find awesome deals on there on "newly listed" hard drives.[/QUOTE]

I have had more problems with seagates after the perpendicular recording drives came out all my seagates from before that work great

This is a great deal but I agree that 640GB is overkill for a ps3 unless they come out with a feature similar to 360 where you can install all your games to the harddrive then this would be great.

Kind of debating if I want to upgrade my 60GB or buy an external HDD instead. Cause this is a sweet price for a ton of space.

Curious - what does the backup utility do on the PS3? I keep hearing about using external HDD's and whatnot...

I really need to take the plunge, but still scared! I have about 5 pages bookmarked with tips and tricks, but for some reason not sure if the backup process will work properly, etc. etc. I've thought about trying to just look out for saved game data and re-download everything else..I can put together a computer in 45 mins, i don't know why I think i can't do this..

Oh yea on the origional 60 gb upgrading the drive is really easy you dont need anything but a base drive but on the 80GB (nonbc version at least) you need to have a copy of the firmware on a fat formated flash drive. I think the older units kept the complete os in onboard flash but the newer ones have part of it on the drive.

[quote name='mphil145']This is a great deal but I agree that 640GB is overkill for a ps3 unless they come out with a feature similar to 360 where you can install all your games to the harddrive then this would be great.[/QUOTE]

Nonsense, saying you have too much storage space is like saying you have too much money or that your dick is too big.

[quote name='gindias']Nonsense, saying you have too much storage space is like saying you have too much money or that your dick is too big.[/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I dont use my PS3 much other than for Blu-rays, but why would someone need that? I do have my 120gb 360 thats almost full lol, but thats with game installs mainly. I do use a media center server to stream movies/live tv to my 360 so theres no need to store movies on my 360. Unless you buy a lot of movies from PSN i guess....

[quote name='fyrflash1969']When you remove the screws on your hard drive, make sure you have a pair of pliers to loosen the screws first. They will strip otherwise.

It is a PITA to change drives, I just got the 320g Western Digital for 55$ off amazon. It took me about 20 hours to install and patch all my games (burnout is a pain). 640gb is overkill, If you will never need that much use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011U65F2/ref=oss_T15_product[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the heads up on this one. I bought it as 640gb would be nice but I had some Amazon GC's to spend :)

[quote name='SnoT']http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
I'd rather get a faster HD with slighly less space?

500gb 7200rpm 16mb cache.[/QUOTE]

What I've heard is that a 7200 rpm hdd barely makes a difference for most things: http://www.gamepro.com/article/features/138288/7200rpm-vs-5400rpm-does-ps3-hard-drive-speed-matter/

[quote name='token2k6']I really need to take the plunge, but still scared! I have about 5 pages bookmarked with tips and tricks, but for some reason not sure if the backup process will work properly, etc. etc. I've thought about trying to just look out for saved game data and re-download everything else..I can put together a computer in 45 mins, i don't know why I think i can't do this..[/QUOTE]

It's fairly simple. If you do know your way around computers a decent bit, I think the only things you might run into are:

1. Whatever drive you're using to back up your PS3 needs to be FAT32 - if you're using Windows XP, it won't create FAT32 partitions larger than 32GB. Thus, you may need something like Parted Magic to format it.

Just as a sidenote, since the file size limitation on FAT32 is 4GB, the PS3 backup utility automatically splits all your data into multiple 4GB chunks...I was personally wondering how that would work beforehand, and found out after looking at the backed up data from a computer.

2. I know everyone was saying the screws strip really easily, and I was thinking, "it can't be that bad, right?" Well, they really do strip really easily. I actually was doing fine until my last screw, which started to strip...and I was like "oh crap, not good, not good." I actually used a larger screwdriver to get it out - I guess you can apply more torque with a bigger screwdriver, which helps. I'd tell you to push hard against the screw to try to prevent it from stripping.

The longest part of the process is running the backup/restore deal. Took probably 2 hours to back up onto an external (I think, I left for a while), and I have a 60 GB. Restoring wasn't much faster.

But swapping the drive should take less than a few minutes. If you manage to strip the screws, I have no idea what you did wrong. They don't appear to be any different in quality from any other screws I've ever used. Use the proper sized screwdriver, an unmagnetic one that fits the standard screws inside computer cases. You will have no trouble at all.

Swapped my drive out and couldn't restore my backup. So I just started over fresh. Needed to get rid of a bunch of demo junk anyway. I was able to recover my game saves except for LBP. I went the 7200 rpm 16mb cache route but 2 each their own.

pseprodux: thanks for the tips man! IDK, seems like I'll manage the backup ok, maybe use a 8gb memstick and just go after gamesaves. I don't really want to format my only external drive that has other files on it to make it FAT32 if it isn't.. I can live w/ redownloading everything..now, the screw stripping part!! ugh, I'll try..

One other quick thing. I do have the 60gb model and some people are stating that some part of the system was installed on built in memory. If i swap out the drive, are all my profiles going to still be there? or will I have to reconnect to the Playstation Store, etc..? Also, does this treat the unit like a new machine? (you know how you can have like 5 psps or playstations on the same account before you start getting license sharing problems??)

When I swapped out my 60gb for a larger drive I didnt have to redo any of the account info and it should not deactivate any system on your account or any accounts on your system.

bread's done
Back