PS3 80GB MGS4 Bundle (AMAZON/Aug 30)

oldboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm pretty sure that this hasn't been posted already.

As most of you know, the bundle has practically been sold out ONLINE. Chances are you will be able to cop one in stores sometime in the foreseeable future (my Walmart has 6 in stock)... However, online is probably the way to go (seeing how you avoid taxes).

Anyways, Amazon is getting a new shipment of these in on August 30th, so be on the lookout. Chances are someone who put money on it beforehand will cancel before biting.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-M..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219528456&sr=1-7

How do I know this? I just bought my bundle yesterday. Yes, it was sold out 3-4 days prior to yesterday, but I never lost hope, and checked it everyday. When I did finally manage to "add to cart" it said it was for a pre-order, ready to ship AFTER they received a new shipment in on the 30th. When I finally inputted all my information and was one click away from charging it to my card, it was declined because "Sorry! The item you have added to your cart is no longer available".

So I just refreshed the screen, and voila, its there again. Looks like someone who put it in their cart before me chickened out.

Anyways, good luck to you guys. Hopefully you guys are able to get one. AND DAMN YOU F***NG RE-SELLERS! $597 for the bundle?! I hope you guys burn in hell.

has the price gone down or is it just hard to find? i know my kmart still has a few bundles, just saw them yesterday.

It is hard to find in some areas. I see it at stores pretty regularly. This is the final incarnation of the PS3 to feature any PS2 BC so don't delay if that's important to you.

I bought a bundle in July but am looking to part ways with it because of financial reasons. If anyone is interested (I know this isn't a sale/trade thread), give me a shout if you can't track one down via Amazon or another store.

[quote name='Halo05']It is hard to find in some areas. I see it at stores pretty regularly. This is the final incarnation of the PS3 to feature any PS2 BC so don't delay if that's important to you.[/quote]

thanks for the heads up on the PS2 BC...i did not know that.

Just to confirm something about the PS2 BC. It's still software based right? I mean it's not like the BC that the 60gb model had in which that one actually had built in PS2 hardware, right? Thanks.

It is hardware AND software. The 60GB had just hardware to do it.

I believe the GSX is in the 80GB and 60GB but the 60GB also had the EE. Either way, the new consoles have none of these (you can tell because they can't do SACDs and only have 2 USB ports). If you want BC our PS3 for the foreseeable future NOW is the time to grab one (be it in store or online).

[quote name='kraid']Just to confirm something about the PS2 BC. It's still software based right? I mean it's not like the BC that the 60gb model had in which that one actually had built in PS2 hardware, right? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Correct, and it's not 100% compatible like the hardware based 60G is.

What? i thought the new 160gb version coming out has PS2 Software BC too.
The reduced price 80gb and the current 40gb are the ones without BC.

2 kraid yes only the launch 60gb has the BC hardware, the rest that does have BC are software.

Edit: scratch that i just looked it up ... no BC on the 160gb ...... damn.

Technically the 60GB wasn't 100% BC either (just like the slim :p). But that's a minor technicality.

I'm not on the lookout for this system but where does the OP get the source saying Amazon will have some on the 30th?

[quote name='supraazn']What? i thought the new 160gb version coming out has PS2 Software BC too.

2 kraid yes only the launch 60gb has the BC hardware, the rest that does have BC are software.[/QUOTE]

All 'new' PS3s are the 40GB line with bigger HDDs.

If it has 2 USBs, no memory card readers and NO SACD compatibility (chip associated with the GSX I guess) then it is NOT backward compatible at all.

[quote name='supraazn']What? i thought the new 160gb version coming out has PS2 Software BC too.

2 kraid yes only the launch 60gb has the BC hardware, the rest that does have BC are software.[/QUOTE]

All 'new' PS3s are the 40GB line with bigger HDDs.

If it has 2 USBs, no memory card readers and NO SACD compatibility (chip associated with the GSX I guess) then it is NOT backward compatible at all.

I had bought this at the end of July because I had wanted a PS3, but I had felt like an idiot ever since considering the new models and lower price in September.

But now at least I have some reason for spending that extra $100. Thanks for the info, my friend may want to get one of these so I'll pass it along for him.

[quote name='prateeko']
I'm not on the lookout for this system but where does the OP get the source saying Amazon will have some on the 30th?[/QUOTE]
if youre lucky check the item on Amazon to see there is one available, you will notice that right under the price is some sentence about how, "Product will begin shipping after Aug. 30", or something like that. I called Amazon to confirm that they will be getting a new batch from Sony on the 30th and it was not just some "special day", and they confirmed.

[quote name='SuperTongue']I had bought this at the end of July because I had wanted a PS3, but I had felt like an idiot ever since considering the new models and lower price in September.[/QUOTE]
I thought that there was going to be NO price cuts for PS3's this year?

There won't be any price cuts for the new PS3 models, just added features (i.e. HD space) at their regular price points of $400 and $500. As for discontinued models, retailers will have the last say.

[quote name='oldboy']I'm pretty sure that this hasn't been posted already.

As most of you know, the bundle has practically been sold out ONLINE. Chances are you will be able to cop one in stores sometime in the foreseeable future (my Walmart has 6 in stock)... However, online is probably the way to go (seeing how you avoid taxes).

Anyways, Amazon is getting a new shipment of these in on August 30th, so be on the lookout. Chances are someone who put money on it beforehand will cancel before biting.

LINK: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-M..._7?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219528456&sr=1-7

How do I know this? I just bought my bundle yesterday. Yes, it was sold out 3-4 days prior to yesterday, but I never lost hope, and checked it everyday. When I did finally manage to "add to cart" it said it was for a pre-order, ready to ship AFTER they received a new shipment in on the 30th. When I finally inputted all my information and was one click away from charging it to my card, it was declined because "Sorry! The item you have added to your cart is no longer available".

So I just refreshed the screen, and voila, its there again. Looks like someone who put it in their cart before me chickened out.

Anyways, good luck to you guys. Hopefully you guys are able to get one. AND DAMN YOU F***NG RE-SELLERS! $597 for the bundle?! I hope you guys burn in hell.[/quote]

Thank you so much for this tread. :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:
I'm also looking for one! and yes, $597 is crazy :bomb::bomb::bomb: me too, I hope they burn in hell.. greedy people :bomb::bomb:

Thank you so much! I will wait till August 30

The bummer with the MGS bundle is that, while it's backward compatible with PS2, the chips are the older 90s and not the fancy, new 60s. (And I don't really want MGS...)

I'll just have to keep hoping, someday, they do a backward compatible with 60s. Or maybe by then I won't even care to play PS2 games anymore. No room for both a PS2 and a PS3 tho. Too much other crap plugged in.

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']The bummer with the MGS bundle is that, while it's backward compatible with PS2, the chips are the older 90s and not the fancy, new 60s. (And I don't really want MGS...)

I'll just have to keep hoping, someday, they do a backward compatible with 60s. Or maybe by then I won't even care to play PS2 games anymore. No room for both a PS2 and a PS3 tho. Too much other crap plugged in.[/quote]

I thought the 80GB MGS bundle were software emulation and not hardware?

Dude, it's already been covered in the thread near the top. And it's also laid out very clearly on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3

It's HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE emulation. If it was just software emulation then it'd be in the 40GB PS3 series (i.e. the 'new' 80GB PS3 - basically any PS3 with 2 USB ports and no memory card readers)

if yall want bc then yall better pick this up at least if your in the SGV area of California cuz i had to drive about 30 miles to find one and it was the last 1 within my area last week idk if stock changes or not but as of last week it was the last one within about 20-30 miles of SGV California

[quote name='oldboy']I thought that there was going to be NO price cuts for PS3's this year?[/quote]

There aren't suppose to be. The GameStop COO speculates there will be a $50 drop on both the 360 and PS3 going into the holidays, but that's about it. A lot of people have been assuming there will be a drop in response to the 360's September drop, but that's all it is...people assuming.

As another poster mentioned, all that you are somewhat guaranteed to see is retailers clearing out older models. I think someone posted a thread about Walmart dropping the 40GB model to $350.

Going off topic, it's a shame Sony removed BC. I love my PS3 for the PS2 playback, from the virtual memory cards to the upscaling to having no need for a multitap, BC kept me busy for a good chunk of 2007.

Glad I ordered this a few weeks back, but I still feel like I'm paying $500 for a ps2.

Also does anybody know if this bundle comes w/ any cables, or is sony still being cheap????

[quote name='jrhawk42']Glad I ordered this a few weeks back, but I still feel like I'm paying $500 for a ps2.[/QUOTE]

you ordered this a few weeks ago and still havent gotten it?

Managed to get one of these before I left work around 6 Pacific. Glad I didn't wait till this evening because now they're sold out again. Yeesh!

I really like that PS3s get WORSE with each incarnation. Jesus, Sony, get your fucking SKUs in order and maybe I'll buy one.

Actually I've been checking during the past few days, it does tend to get stock from time to time throughout the day. Compared to the $399 model, your paying $499 for the BC but seeing how a ps3 price drop is inevitable, the BC is costing you $100, which could be spent on a ps2 slim, or spent on ps3 games. I'm not sure if BC is worth $100.....

[quote name='mox2']Actually I've been checking during the past few days, it does tend to get stock from time to time throughout the day. Compared to the $399 model, your paying $499 for the BC but seeing how a ps3 price drop is inevitable, the BC is costing you $100, which could be spent on a ps2 slim, or spent on ps3 games. I'm not sure if BC is worth $100.....[/quote]

Yeah, but you have to remember it's not just the BC, but you're also getting the extra 2 USB ports, the card readers, and SACD playback.

[quote name='oldboy']Anyways, Amazon is getting a new shipment of these in on August 30th, so be on the lookout. Chances are someone who put money on it beforehand will cancel before biting.[/quote]

So does that mean that this thing was already available for preorder and we have to wait for someone who preordered it to checken out? Or does it mean that they're just getting new shipments and we'll be able to grab em while they're in stock?

I'm not exactly sure how you know for certain that it's gonna be available.

why buy this for $500? The 80 gig at my store is $400, just doesn't include MGS4 (which is $60 by itself). Waste of $40.

edit: wait, does the 80 gig which is sold by itself not have BC? wtf?

edit 2: wtf, it really doesn't! and they are stripping off 2 USB ports as well. fuck Sony.

[quote name='FiendCameron']why buy this for $500? The 80 gig at my store is $400, just doesn't include MGS4 (which is $60 by itself). Waste of $40.[/quote]

As previously stated, this console has backwards compatibility with PS2 games. The new 80GB machine does not. It also lacks stuff like extra USB ports and card reader. It is essentially the old 40GB model with a larger hard drive.

They really aren't stripping anything from this console, actually. They are simply increasing the hard drive space on their base model. It was kind of stupid, though, to make it 80GB, which will only confuse people into thinking that it's actually the 80GB model that is currently available. They are, though, completely dropping BC, considering the 160GB bundle will also lack it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They really aren't stripping anything from this console, actually. They are simply increasing the hard drive space on their base model. It was kind of stupid, though, to make it 80GB, which will only confuse people into thinking that it's actually the 80GB model that is currently available. They are, though, completely dropping BC, considering the 160GB bundle will also lack it.[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's stupidity. It's more of an evil genius diabolical move. Either way, if you think you'll use BC, NOW is the time to go for it. These things are NOT coming back and they will only get more expensive (i.e. ebay).

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']They really aren't stripping anything from this console, actually. They are simply increasing the hard drive space on their base model. It was kind of stupid, though, to make it 80GB, which will only confuse people into thinking that it's actually the 80GB model that is currently available. They are, though, completely dropping BC, considering the 160GB bundle will also lack it.[/quote]

I think the confusion will be minimal, because at this point it should be unlikely that both the MGS4 bundles and new 80GB model will be on the store shelves at the same time. At least the disclaimer, of the lack of PS2 BC, is placed on the front of the box, making it more noticeable.

[quote name='Logical Dolphin']I think the confusion will be minimal, because at this point it should be unlikely that both the MGS4 bundles and new 80GB model will be on the store shelves at the same time. At least the disclaimer, of the lack of PS2 BC, is placed on the front of the box, making it more noticeable.[/quote]

Indeed. Still, there will be some, evident by posts on this forum. Anyway, just seems like they could have picked a better number, especially considering that MS will have a 60GB model. You'd think they would prefer to just shoot them out of the water with 120GB or something. Yes, hard drive space isn't everything, but we all know some folks are blown away by big numbers.

80GB is a good level, it is probably more than the typical PS3 owner will need. I think Sony needs to do another $50 price cut this year so the 80GB PS3 is priced between the Xbox 360 Pro and Elite models when they have their price drop next month.

[quote name='prateeko']I saw it earlier today (said it'd ship on the 4th of Sept)...hopefully those of you who want one didn't miss out.[/quote]

What time did you see it at? Do you guys know if they only stock up once a day on the website, or if they update it every hour or so?

I keep checking and still nothing. Checked it last night about 1 AM EST. This morning at 8 ish and all through this afternoon. Still nothing.

Sign up on www.wiialerts.com and you can get an email (text message optional) alert when they're available to purchase on amazon. I got an alert at 4:30AM (PST) this morning and managed to order the bundle before it quickly sold out again.

bread's done
Back