PS3 and HDMI (handshaking?) Issues

NC-17

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Maybe someone could chime in with their own experiences here. I bought a PS3 the week of the $499 price drop for the 60gb version. When I first set it up, HDMI worked perfectly hooked straight up to my Sharp Aquos 46".

About 2 weeks ago there were some nasty storms, so I turned off the system and unplugged both it and the TV. The next day I go to turn them on again, and I don't get any picture/sound from the PS3 over HDMI.

I am currently using component cables (luckily left from my PS2). Basically, no matter how many video display setting reset things I do (from standby, hold down the power button until a second beep occurs), or display setting changes from the menu, I cannot get HDMI working again.

I've heard plenty about other people never having it working, or handshaking issues giving flashes and HDMI desyncs, etc, but what irks me is that it _was_ working, but no longer does. Unfortunately I do not have another HDMI capable TV set or device to rule other issues out. Just to make clear, both things 'work' fine as it is, just no HDMI, and the PS3 was cleanly shutdown to standby before being turned off completely, etc.

Has anyone had any similar issues, that were able to be resolved? I was thinking perhaps if I got an HDMI switch or receiver in between the TV and PS3 it might help, but if it's just passing the signal through and the TV is still not syncing with the system properly I doubt I'll get anywhere.

I want my 1080p Blurays and upscaled DVDs back! (The latter they should just make work over component, anyway.) Any thoughts?

I've had a couple issues lately where I'd turn on the PS3 and I'd get a screen with colored vertical lines all over the screen, and a screeching sound. I couldn't even change channels or turn the TV off when this happened! Only unplugging it worked.

I've also had a black screen with no sound, but changing the channel fixed it.

Feels like we're beta testing the HDMI tech still eh?

Yeah it sucks. There's no _good_ reason why they couldn't output Bluray or upscaled DVDs at 1080p over component. Maybe they don't have an analog scaler or some shit? Lame Sony, lame!

(Yeah HDCP, etc. But that's BS. Also, some sets won't accept 1080p input over component but what about those which do? Guess I'll have to deal.)

So annoyed that it was working at one point, and now I've lost it =\ Well... I do my HDDVD w/360 over component too (no HDMI on mine) so... Guess I'll have to deal for now.

[quote name='NC-17']Yeah it sucks. There's no _good_ reason why they couldn't output Bluray or upscaled DVDs at 1080p over component. Maybe they don't have an analog scaler or some shit? Lame Sony, lame![/QUOTE]There's nothing Sony can do. The 360 and PS3 cannot upscale via component, because of copyright protection by the HDCP.
In the United States the Federal Communications Commission approved HDCP as a "Digital Output Protection Technology" on August 4, 2004 despite its known flaws.[4] The FCC's Broadcast flag regulations, which were struck down by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, would have required DRM technologies on all digital outputs from HDTV signal demodulators. Congress is still considering legislation that would implement something similar to the Broadcast Flag. Analog outputs from digital receivers do not require output restrictions, but the analog output must be limited to a resolution of 480p, which effectively limits sets with analog input to non-HD resolutions. The HDCP standard is more restrictive than the FCC's Digital Output Protection Technology requirement. HDCP bans compliant products from converting HDCP-restricted content to full-resolution analog form, presumably in an attempt to reduce the size of the analog hole.

On January 19, 2005, the European Industry Association for Information Systems (EICTA) announced that HDCP is a required component of the European "HD ready" label.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP

[quote name='Dezuria']Feels like we're beta testing the HDMI tech still eh?[/quote]

At least were not beta testing the console itself...

My refurb 360 just died. I love my PS3 even more now haha

But about the HDMI handshaking, thats weird. I had problems when i was setting it up but just unplug it and plug it back in and it should work (over and over though)

Yeah, I knew this; that's why I mentioned it but said it's BS. Cause it _hurts_ the consumer. =\

Anything that doesn't use HDCP though - ie DVDs, should still upscale. I can understand Blurays though, as silly as it is.

Damnit I'll be happy if I can get this working again.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']There's nothing Sony can do. The 360 and PS3 cannot upscale via component, because of copyright protection by the HDCP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP[/quote]

I have the solution!

My system has a similar problem where I had to completely power off the PS3 and TV.

The solution is to do a "Restore default settings" on your PS3. You'll have to do this via a different connection method though. This just changes all the settings on your PS3 back to default, but doesn't mess with savegames and such. You'll have to reconnect your bluray headset, wireless network, etc... but it will get the HDMI working again.

Then reconnect via HDMI again and it should work.

I think the problem is that the PS3 and TV connect the first time and have a normal handshake and authentication with each other. When seperated via complete power off, either the PS3, or more likely the TV loses the handshake/authentication information. So, when you reconnect the two, the TV doesn't recognize the PS3's information, but doesn't tell the PS3 there's something wrong. So, the PS3 still believes its properly connecting via HDMI, but the TV isn't displaying anything because it doesn't have the proper handshake.

I didn't find a command in the settings menus to update the HDMI, so what I did was just use the "Restore Default Settings" command in settings, which in the process of restoring everything to default, it also resets the PS3's stored HDMI settings.

Sigh. Thanks for the suggestion. I tried doing that a few times but could never get any output either. Sometimes when I reset things, I do get asked if I want to use HDMI for audio and video, because it detects an HDMI capable TV set, but it never works when I say yes. I've tried resetting my TV settings, PS3 settings, unplugging and replugging, different power on orderings, everything short of backing up my PS3 data and doing a complete format of the system - but I'd think that if the AV and System resets aren't helping, that won't either. I can't believe all this from just unplugging them too. What you said makes sense, though. I might try purchasing an HDMI upconverting DVD player and seeing if that works OK to try and rule out the set. I got a new cable but that didn't do anything. Cheers.

bread's done
Back