PS3 Arcade Stick Thread

Anyone know where I could buy a PS3 stick that preferable will work with PC as well?

Edit: found a place, will let you know if they have any in stock after they tell me :p Its the Hori stick btw.

http://sdtekken.com/2008/06/07/soul-calibur-iv-arcade-stick/

[quote name='SDTEKKEN.COM']Fans of Hori’s smaller arcade sticks for the will be pleased to know that both the PS3’s Fighting Stick 3 and the Xbox 360’s Fighting Stick EX2 are being repackaged for Soul Calibur IV’s late July release. The SCIV themed sticks are identical to their previous incarnations and feature Soul Calibur IV themed artwork.[/quote]

Hori Soul Calibur IV Stick (Xbox 360)

2558872983_55831ee671_o.jpg

Soul Calibur IV Stick (PS3)

2559718492_1cbd60a4f7_o.jpg

---

AKA crap.

Hori fighting stick 3 are in stock at at Play-Asia. Goomba found me one at a local game stop though just before I saw this. Much cheaper that way. Can not wait for it to arrive.

The recent $20 drop in price for VF5, plus the variety of fighting games coming out in the near future (SC IV - July 29; SF4, SSF2THD Remix, Tekken 6 - whenever they get around to it) has me thinking about getting another stick for my PS3.

(I bought the Fighting Stick 3 for $40 with a Gamestop Coupon over a year ago....and finally got to use it thanks to my first Virtua Fighter game ever.)

I respect the arguments for importing, and I like the concept of a round-gated controller (for SF4), but I'm looking for a controller that doesn't cost more than the games themselves. Any recommendations besides the Hori FS3?

[quote name='MarkMan']Modded my HRAP3 today with Seimitsu parts...

524124986_d78d6732f6.jpg
[/quote]
That is sooo hot. Dunno if I'd play with it or myself...

[quote name='nyprimus4']Those adapters go for a lot of money? I got one used in perfect condition at Gamestop a few months back for $2.99...[/quote]
As did I. The clerk seemed HELLA impressed that they A.) had one B.) at that price.

EDIT: Double post. Mea culpa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any sticks that DON'T have the square interface for the joystick? I just can' get used to it. I need something like the original Snes/Gens arcade sticks that don't have that loud clicking annoying square.

I'm using a Generation 1 Hori arcade stick for the original Playstation with a USB converter.

Most of the sticks for PS3 are Japanese style unless you go with a custom built stick with American style parts or buy a MAS system stick.

ahh I see...

It's funny, most people nowadays prefer the square gate. Especially with characters like gief/thawk. It has a smaller range of motion to engage the actual input so 360s are a lot easier (you don't have to force it to the gate)... but it's just something you have to get used to.

Seems like you should get a custom stick to please your needs...

[quote name='MarkMan']ahh I see...

It's funny, most people nowadays prefer the square gate. Especially with characters like gief/thawk. It has a smaller range of motion to engage the actual input so 360s are a lot easier (you don't have to force it to the gate)... but it's just something you have to get used to.

Seems like you should get a custom stick to please your needs...[/quote]

That smaller gate is what gets me. I'm just so used to using a full range of motion "Blame that on Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 2 arcade machines of yore" It's more the I have to do a smaller range that throws me off. I did get somewhat used to it but it just irks me. How long does a complete transition take?

I see the stick as far better for 3d games because since the motion is smaller, it's more precise for simpler moves rather then double 360s.

Though I am still better with a saturn level gamepad. How much of a disadvantage is a great gamepad player to a great joystick player?

There is no disadvantage at all. Preference/comfortability >>>> all.

Play with what you think is best for you.

---

If anyone was curious, Play-Asia currently has the Amazon Japan exclusive HRAP3 and HRAP1 in stock:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/hori-real-arcade-pro-amazon-jp-ps2/

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/hori-real-arcade-pro-3-amazon-jp-ps3/

Both work perfectly with SC IV. The PS2 one needs a converter; I'd suggest the REAL one:

http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/converters/real-ps2ps3-converter/

Hm, I'm really considering the HRAP3. Do you find it to be comfortable MM? I have pretty big hands so I'm a bit worried about the proximity of the stick to the buttons.

Yeah, understandable.

I've read Seimitsu buttons have less sensitivity than Sanwa? Did you mod with Seimitsu because you prefer that, or just for their appearance?

Ended up giving this stick to my friend. He'll make better use of it then me. Since the six button gamepad has been announced, I'm getting that.

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but do Hori Fighting Stick 3's work properly with PS2 games now?

I'm dying to play some of my 2D fighters on the PS3.. Street Fighter IV's upcoming release has me psyched! Got the Hori Fighting Stick Ex2 (or whatever it's called..) and hated the square gate at first... but I dunno how I lived with out it now, and my x-arcade just isn't cutting it.. and I don't want to order a small little cable for the damn thing for 22 damn dollars shipped just to plug it into the ps3.. cheap ass gaming that is not!

So how is it now for PS2 games? I just ordered my self a used copy of the SFA Anthology and it'd be nice to have this stick to play it with, or.. play any of the GGX titles I got piled up really. I've read that firmware upgrades have gotten it to work but I've also read comments that characters will randomly jump, any truth to that?

Also.. (sorry for asking so many damn questions) does anyone know if the Madcatz sticks coming up work with PS2 titles? Just out of curiosity. I had this stick written off.. madcatz and all, but after CES it seems like it could be a good options.

One more thing... an x-arcade stick (which I'm sure most people avoid now) with an hvg2 ps2-ps3 converter is total crap, once you start up a game on the PS3, for whatever reason, the PS button keeps getting pressed so it switches between the PS button screen and the game screen continually. Horrible horrible horrible mistake to buy this damn hvg2 converter... bad Fry's employee that recommended it, bad!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Baron O Hell']Anyone have a Saulabi 4K Arcade Stick? If so what do you think about it.
[/quote]
I hear the components on that thing are craptastic. Especially the buttons, I think they are leaf buttons. Basically giant pad buttons instead of the vertical switch type.

For the person interested in octogonal gate and circle gate.
http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/restrictors.html

I find square gates perfectly fine. I honestly can't find the axes or diagonals for that matter on circle gates. 360s aren't really a problem on square gates, I just try to keep a loose handle on the stick so I don't send the force of my hand into the corners of the square gate.

bread's done
Back