PS3 Backup Questions.

xinoart

CAGiversary!
Ok so I've already backed up before to the same system. I have no questions about that. Recently my 60giger has died so I had to buy a slim. I know how to fix my old system long enough to do a HD backup. What files will/won't transfer over? I know rock band won't (for stupid reasons) and a few other games with copy-protected files. I'm more worried about all the TV shows and such I've bought over PSN. Will those back up to my new system at all? Do I need to deactivate my old system before or after I do the backup? After I deactivate the old system, will those videos transfer to my new system? I've checked the PSN store in the video section to look at my download list already. Nothing shows up. Man I hope I didn't buy stuff that only works on ONE system. Anyone that can help or that has any experience in this area is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! :whistle2:D

Deactivate your system before you do anything else, anything bought online cannot be restored on another system, it always has to be redownloaded. In fact, delete anything you paid for online before backing up, to save yourself some time.

That being said, any video you paid for is gone:

http://playstation.custhelp.com/cgi...duser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1105&p_sid=h_hpezNj

Videos purchased on the video store cannot be re-downloaded once it has been downloaded to either a PLAYSTATION 3 or PSP system

But users have had success contacting Sony directly for a one time re-download courtesy.

Read here at Ars Technica for more:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2008/09/playstation-3-video-drm-two-strikes-and-youre-out.ars

I thought that had been corrected since an update a little bit ago? It allows to backup copy-protected videos now. That ars-technica article isn't exactly new, over a year old in fact.

"Purchased videos to own in standard definition can be played on a single activated PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and up to 3 activated PSP® portable entertainment systems."

That quote sounds like once I deactivate my old system, I should be able to download them to my new slim.

"Videos purchased from the video store can be transferred to an external storage device, but not copied onto a CD or DVD."

That quote sounds like I can move them to an external hard drive so I can save them for later as well.

My thought process for doing the back-up and transferring everything goes like this:
1. Backup to external HD.
1a. (if needed) Backup video files to 2nd external HD.
2. Deactivate old system.
3. Restore backup to new system.
3a. (if needed) Restore video files from 2nd external HD.

I know not everything will be backed up; Rockband DLC, and other minor things. But in theory, my video purchases should be backed up and good to go on my new slim correct?

This whole damn thing is confusing. They need to just tie everything to my username and be done with it. Tying anything to a specific system only is completely ridiculous. If worse comes to worse, I'll just call up Sony and complain until I get my way. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
i know that I have backed up about 2-3 downloads and 6-8 gameshares and they transferred over no problem. I was actually recently playing pixel junk monsters. I never redownloaded anything.

OP I would look into the deactivating issue more and maybe ask a question specific to that.

Well it's not the game downloads I'm worried about. It's the video downloads. I would be doing all of this right now, but I'm waiting for the HD to be delivered. I hope this is all sorted out by the time it gets here this week. I don't really want to deal with customer service again, but that's what it appears I have to do, unless deactivating the system will let me install them to the new system.

If I don't find out the correct information beforehand, I'll definitely post in here and let other users know what you can and can't do to back up videos you've bought off of the store. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Quick update. My ps3 is completely fried. Sony customer support will no longer deactivate your system remotely anymore. In other words, you HAVE to send it in to them, pay 150 for the repairs (if out of warranty) and then have them deactivate it. Total Bummer.

bread's done
Back