PS3 Backwards Compatibility - Which version is better to buy Software or Hardware?

snookie_wookums

CAGiversary!
A friend of mine is looking for a BC PS3, which he can get used with a 1 year warranty in a local electronics store, but he is not sure which one is better to have. The natural inclination for someone looking for BC is to get the best kind you can get, meaning a 100% BC launch PS3, but I'm urging him to consider a MGS 80GB model, since it's newer and is probably a better bet for a nice long service life.

So what do you CAGs think? Launch model with 100% BC, or a MGS model with the 75 - 80% BC? Anyone seen both in action for an apples-to-apples comparison?

I don't see why he can't just go for the 60GB, the 80GB with BC doesn't use the cooler chips as far as I know.

i have the 80gb model. ^ about the cooler chips is incorrect. Every ps2 game I have tried has played fine. At this point, just get any system thats backward compatible. Cant go wrong!

I've got the 80GB one, and I'm pretty happy with it, but my pal has this desire to have that "100%" in front of the "BC" on his PS3, so he's leaning hard toward the older model, and I was just concerned about the fact that launch models are at least 1.5 years older than the software emulated ones. Either way, like ohboy10451 says, I guess he can't go wrong. Thanks for the feedback fellas.

I have the 80GB PS3 and while it works pretty well... there are some hiccups that I've encountered. GGXX Accent Core is tremendously difficult to get running, it tends to freeze at the Arc System logo... like 95% of the time. And also while I was playing Fatal Frame 3, it had TONS of graphical glitches... I would be able to look through doors... and many of the objects in the game would get rainbow textures on them. I wish I had a 100% BC but it doesn't really affect me too much.

Keep in mind that not even the 20/60GB PS3 models are 100% BC. They still have some issues, though the majority of them are fairly minor.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ohboy10451']i have the 80gb model. ^ about the cooler chips is incorrect. Every ps2 game I have tried has played fine. At this point, just get any system thats backward compatible. Cant go wrong![/QUOTE]

I have the 80GB MGS4 system too but the only time I've gone past the state 2 fan is with a PS2 game. I was playing Castlevania Curse of Darkness (smoothing on, upscaled to 720p) for about 45 minutes- I remembering hearing it and thinking my PS3 was going to explode.:lol:

But my brother's PS3 (60GB) plays everything (smoothing on, upscaled to 1080p) just fine and the only time the fans hit stage 3 are with long sessions of PS3 games.

Honestly though, if you want BC just get the 60GB (or 20GB model).

I say neither...stay with me
Unless your friend is really up in arms in saving space, I think buying a cheap ps3 (upgrade the hard drive later...if 40 gigs ain't enough then 80 wouldn't do much justice) plus a ps2 is the most cost effective solution.

I personally have that MGS Bundle one (was a b**** to find when I was looking for it, and when I did get it was really out of the blue). The only time so far I have ran into any problems playing on this ps3 is Yakuza, you can only finish the game up 85% and the it will constantly freeze at a particular part.

FFX - beat the game without problems on 80gig ps3
FFXII - up to about 70% completed, so far no problems
Kingdom Hearts - played only 25% of it, no problems

[quote name='dejeckt']I say neither...stay with me
Unless your friend is really up in arms in saving space, I think buying a cheap ps3 (upgrade the hard drive later...if 40 gigs ain't enough then 80 wouldn't do much justice) plus a ps2 is the most cost effective solution.

I personally have that MGS Bundle one (was a b**** to find when I was looking for it, and when I did get it was really out of the blue). The only time so far I have ran into any problems playing on this ps3 is Yakuza, you can only finish the game up 85% and the it will constantly freeze at a particular part.

FFX - beat the game without problems on 80gig ps3
FFXII - up to about 70% completed, so far no problems
Kingdom Hearts - played only 25% of it, no problems[/quote]

I'm guessing the PS3 hard drive is easily upgradable? I was planning my PS3 purchase for mid to late summer as a gift for myself and am trying to get the best deal as far as pricing, add-ons and space.

kind of unrelated, but is an 80gig ps3 like new, worth 300 shipped? am i better off going with one of those motostorm bundles in target? i dont need a ps3 but trying to gauge if its too good to pass up.

OP, if you're going for a BC-type PS3, the 60GB is your preferred option, due to the HW BC. It's not 100%, though it's pretty close.

With the PS2 now being $99, it'll be a better choice to go with a 80GB non-BC PS3 and a standalone PS2 Slim.

bread's done
Back