PS3 BC Metal Gear Solid Bundle Returns to Sears

This may be your last shot at a BC PS3 people. That's so sad too. I'm really upset that they killed BC in the PS3. I hope to God they bring it back for the PS4.

[quote name='CaoPi']yay?[/QUOTE]

Yay. It's a tough to find item, and those posts are welcome in the deals forum.

yeah I'd be all over this if I didn't already have one. Don't forget this one also has 4 usb ports and the memory card reader. Even if it's not a keeper, it's a lot easier to sell than the standard 80 gig...

Agreed, appreciated - and if I could
dropping $500 on this I would, as I wont buy a PS3 w/o BC.
Net net though it just means I keep going with my xbox360 sans Sony.​

[quote name='dragilores']I don't think this one has BC. The picture for the product is not the box for the bundle.[/QUOTE]
The 80gb MGS4 bundle is the last one to include BC and this is excatly what this one is

I just gave up on the PS3 when after playing MGS4, I discovered that.

#1. Online multiplayer is broken
#2. MGS4 will NEVER get Trophy support (WOW!)
#3. Sony does not care about gamers, even if they did they can't afford it financially

[quote name='Ice Cold']I just gave up on the PS3 when after playing MGS4, I discovered that.

#3. Sony does not care about gamers, even if they did they can't afford it financially[/QUOTE]

retracted my post too and agree with all of this. also, $499 is ridiculous for a console at this point, BC or not.

[quote name='ninja dog']retracted my post too and agree with all of this. also, $499 is ridiculous for a console at this point, BC or not.[/quote]

That's what Craigslist is for!

Read the reviews of people who bought this from Sears IT IS NOT BC ...... After looking it up it seems this is one of the software emu BC models I stand corrected it has limited BC grab um while you can, still not worth $500 IMO.

[quote name='Ice Cold']I just gave up on the PS3 when after playing MGS4, I discovered that.

#3. Sony does not care about gamers, even if they did they can't afford it financially[/quote]

...what in the bloody hell are you talking about?

1) The online is not broken. I played for a month without any issues. How is it broken, in your opinion?

2) MGS4 came out before trophies. Why would they bother going back and adding support? How many games actually have? Almost none. And the ones that did were published by Sony.

3) That just made zero sense.

[quote name='ninja dog']retracted my post too and agree with all of this. also, $499 is ridiculous for a console at this point, BC or not.[/quote]

Not for nothing, but you're not paying $500 for a game console. The PS3 is far more than that. Whether or not you feel its worth that, well, that's entirely your opinion, and I respect that. But the PS3 is far more than just a game console. Also, you get MGS4 with the system, so you're really paying $450 for it.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...what in the bloody hell are you talking about?

1) The online is not broken. I played for a month without any issues. How is it broken, in your opinion?

2) MGS4 came out before trophies. Why would they bother going back and adding support? How many games actually have? Almost none. And the ones that did were published by Sony.

Not for nothing, but you're not paying $500 for a game console. The PS3 is far more than that. Whether or not you feel its worth that, well, that's entirely your opinion, and I respect that. But the PS3 is far more than just a game console. Also, you get MGS4 with the system, so you're really paying $450 for it.[/quote]

Thats the whole problem in a nut shell, Sony is too focused on other things besides gaming. Most of us hear on cheapass gamer are just that gamers. Sony forgot who brought them to the dance and is going home with well people like yourself, I guess if you wanted a media center, blu ray your a happy camper. This thing is a mediocre game player at best, Sony left the gamers behind but in turn we are leaving them behind as in 3rd PLACE.

The Sears site seems to be down at the moment. Bummer, because I'm sick of surfing ebay/craigsllist for a used PS3 with BC

This may have been posted a long time ago in another thread because I think I've seen the answer before but can't remember: why did Sony cut out the BC in the PS3's? Were they having issues with them, or was it the fact that the additional emulation thing was putting to much extra strain on the budget?

[quote name='silent h3ro']Sony took out the PS2 Emotion Engine chip to cut costs since they were taking a loss with each console that had it.[/QUOTE]

Which they then had the software BC (with partial hardware support) that yields about 70% compatibility with all PS2 games. They then finally removed all PS2 hardware support and hence no BC on all newer PS3's now....

Get over it, get a PS2!

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']...what in the bloody hell are you talking about?

[/quote]

Inconsistent connection on some servers (booted after 5 seconds)
Separate Usernames and Passwords for Konami and Metal Gear Online
Constant patches that must be downloaded using either a non-working direct download or a P2P that takes forever to get started

Seriously though, there were problems with Metal Gear Online that I've never encountered in online games before. You can't really pin this one on Sony though since Konami is running the show.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']This may have been posted a long time ago in another thread because I think I've seen the answer before but can't remember: why did Sony cut out the BC in the PS3's? Were they having issues with them, or was it the fact that the additional emulation thing was putting to much extra strain on the budget?[/quote]

Trick question. The answer is Sony now realizes why Microsoft chose the limited backwards compatibility route. Why allow people to play their old games on a new system when you can make them buy their old games online again?

[quote name='edavis0780']Inconsistent connection on some servers (booted after 5 seconds)
Separate Usernames and Passwords for Konami and Metal Gear Online
Constant patches that must be downloaded using either a non-working direct download or a P2P that takes forever to get started[/quote]

Well, while I don't necessarily have an issue with what you're saying, the other user said the game was "broken." It is most certainly not broken. That would imply it was unplayable. It is far from that.

And I never really had any of the issues you described, and I played for a month straight after release. I didn't have an abnormal amount of network issues, and I never had any issues downloading the patches. As for the usernames and passwords, yeah, that was all stupid, but it barely comes into play. I just have my stuff plugged into the boxes, and that's that.

In one of the reviews, it says it was not BC. oh well

[quote name='silent h3ro']Sony took out the PS2 Emotion Engine chip to cut costs since they were taking a loss with each console that had it.[/quote]

Actually, Sony themselves said taking out BC didn't effect the cost of the systems. They just want to sell more PS2's.

[quote name='leesiulung']Which they then had the software BC (with partial hardware support) that yields about 70% compatibility with all PS2 games. They then finally removed all PS2 hardware support and hence no BC on all newer PS3's now....

Get over it, get a PS2![/quote]

No, i think its pointless to get a PS2 when you could of played them all on one system. When the PS2 is discontinued and my systems break where would play on them on next?? plus it looks better on PS3 and no need to worry about memory cards or controllers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe I was pulling my hair out trying to find a BC-equipped PS3 only to buy the MGS 4 bundle in July & only played 1 PS1 game & a couple of PS2 games so far, both of which have moved back to my PS2.

BC aside, worst $500 I've spent since the PS3 library is pretty goddamn abysmal aside from Movie Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 5 & Valkyria Chronicles.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']
BC aside, worst $500 I've spent since the PS3 library is pretty goddamn abysmal aside from Movie Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 5 & Valkyria Chronicles.[/QUOTE]

LittleBigPlanet is abysmal?

*cracks knuckles*

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
Not for nothing, but you're not paying $500 for a game console. The PS3 is far more than that. Whether or not you feel its worth that, well, that's entirely your opinion, and I respect that. But the PS3 is far more than just a game console. Also, you get MGS4 with the system, so you're really paying $450 for it.[/QUOTE]

No, you're paying $500 for it, plus tax. Selling MGS4 might make up for tax, depending where you live, I guess. As for the value of the system, I don't buy your argument, but yeah, lets leave it there.

[quote name='ninja dog']No, you're paying $500 for it, plus tax. Selling MGS4 might make up for tax, depending where you live, I guess. As for the value of the system, I don't buy your argument, but yeah, lets leave it there.[/quote]

Yes, I know what you're paying for it. You're still getting a $50 game with it, so it isn't like you're paying the full amount on the system. You know full well what I meant.

And it's not an argument at all. It's a simple reality. The PS3 is not just a game system. There really isn't anything to buy there. Like I said, if all you want is a game system, then, yes, you shouldn't be spending $400 or $500 on one. I buy that. But with the PS3, you're getting a ton of stuff crammed into one package. Blu-ray. Linux. In the case of this particular system, pretty good PS2 support. That is why it is so expensive.

It doesn't appear to be a BC PS3, but a new PS3 that isn't BC with MGS4. The controller is dual shock 3, all BC PS3s appear to be Sixaxis.

I was surprised to return to CAG and find people on this thread beating each other with rubber bladders. Why rehash every anti-PS3 thread ever posted, complete with misinformation about the MGS4 bundle and the BC capabilities of various post-60GB models? Aren't there more appropriate places to reanimate desiccated corpses?

The only reason I can find to discuss ancient history is to consider recent developments that affect immediate demand:

1. MGS4 (the game) has come down in price.
2. Competitive blu-ray players have come down in price.
3. The Xbox has come down in price.
4. Other PS3 models have come down in price.
5. SW support is now even more strongly in favor of the Xbox -- not only in terms of more new games but also superior versions.
6. New online and MP software developments on the 360 offer an easier and more flexible MP experience than the PS3. This is where years of Windows exp have given MS the advantage, and this could impact on the purchasing decision of a one-console-only buyer.

Therefore, those whose first consideration is not BC and legacy hardware (SACD support, multiple card readers, etc.) now have little reason to buy a $499 PS3.

Have I stated the obvious clearly enough? Good. Then let's move on:

These factors might discourage many people from buying the PS3 and I understand that completely.

However, some people (like me) are still willing to pay a premium for BC on a 3rd-gen console with blu-ray capabilities and endless tweakability due to firmware upgrades (one example: with a FW downgrade, the PS3 becomes the only SACD player ever made to offer HD multichannel through digital outs). Xbox BC is famously problematic; the Wii is BC but not a next-gen console in the HD sense and doesn't offer the PS2 library.

These are some of the reasons an individual on CAG might choose to buy the MGS4 bundle.

[quote name='Kryn']LittleBigPlanet is abysmal?

*cracks knuckles*[/quote]
Short answer - Yes.
Long Answer - Dur. Not into creating levels but everyone I asked said it had enough content to survive as just a regular platformer. Gamefly'd it 2 weeks ago. Started off decent but soon got bored within an hour since I'm basically holding right & slowly running to win. That was fine & dandy in the 80s & 90s but that isn't good enough these days...

also tried online, had trouble connecting to games & when I did, was kicked out because the host was an asshole who didn't make it private & therefore wasted 2 minutes of my time.

[quote name='Kryn']It doesn't appear to be a BC PS3, but a new PS3 that isn't BC with MGS4. The controller is dual shock 3, all BC PS3s appear to be Sixaxis.[/quote] The very last PS3 with BC was the MGS4 bundle and it does include the DS3.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Yes, I know what you're paying for it. You're still getting a $50 game with it, so it isn't like you're paying the full amount on the system. You know full well what I meant.

And it's not an argument at all. It's a simple reality. The PS3 is not just a game system. There really isn't anything to buy there. Like I said, if all you want is a game system, then, yes, you shouldn't be spending $400 or $500 on one. I buy that. But with the PS3, you're getting a ton of stuff crammed into one package. Blu-ray. Linux. In the case of this particular system, pretty good PS2 support. That is why it is so expensive.[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to get into a console war argument, but all I ask is that you stop saying there's a ton of extra stuff...it's sounding downright viral. Stick to what's there: Blu-ray, media hub capabilities, and sure, why not, the option to install Linux. So you get a PS3, a mostly BC PS2, and blu-ray, a media hub, and nerd bragging rights for installing yet another useless iteration of Linux on yet another device that didn't need it in the first place.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']BC aside, worst $500 I've spent since the PS3 library is pretty goddamn abysmal aside from Movie Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 5 & Valkyria Chronicles.[/quote]
Sounds like you're bitter because you made a bad purchase. I never thought, BC was a big deal so I saved $$$ and have zero regards. The PS3 is the best game system I have ever owned. Plenty of good games to keep me busy.

[quote name='no_exit']Sounds like you're bitter because you made a bad purchase. I never thought, BC was a big deal so I saved $$$ and have zero regards. The PS3 is the best game system I have ever owned. Plenty of good games to keep me busy.[/quote]

Damn right I'm bitter. Expected a 2nd console to have an assload of great exclusives while 360 has the multiplats along with its own exclusives, only to end up with 3 games worth purchasing in the last 2 years since launch. (& 1 of them is more an interactive Blu-ray movie than a game...)

You started gaming this gen or what? =\...

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm not going to get into a console war argument. . . . So you get a PS3, a mostly BC PS2, and blu-ray, a media hub, and nerd bragging rights for installing yet another useless iteration of Linux on yet another device that didn't need it in the first place.[/quote]

What I question about your approach, ninja dog, is that you tend to bitch-slap people for being platform elitists and then announce you're too cool to care about pointless nerd cred. Isn't that a bid for populist cred, which is just another form of elitism?

Consider this: It's possible that the buyer who wants this model will choose it with their own enjoyment in mind, just as you would choose another console for yourself.

Besides, I'd like to own a 360 Elite as well. I'm just waiting for the Falcon to become ubiquitous for the advanced technical reason it's an excuse not to spend more money for three months.

This is not the console war forum. Stop crapping the thread.

In serious news, if you jumped on this deal like I did and now are trying to backpedal because it's not BC, don't expect to be able to cancel! You nor the customer service operator are allowed to cancel orders. Looks like I'm sunk $500 until I can get this to arrive and be returned to a store.

Can somebody modify the thread title to reflect that the deal offered is (likely) incorrect?

[quote name='fidgeteer']What I don't like about your approach, ninja dog, is that you tend to bitch-slap people for being elitist while affecting superiority because you're too cool to care about what you assume to be desperate geek cred.

Consider this: It's possible that the buyer who wants this model will choose it carefully with their own enjoyment in mind -- not an imaginary nerd coronation -- just as you would choose another console for yourself.[/QUOTE]

That's entirely possible! If someone wants a PS2, PS3, and gimped HTPC combo (I don't mean "gimped" derogatorily, it just isn't a full HTPC), then sure, go for this model. I don't think it's that worth it, but my concept of value involves spending like $200 more for a different, more fully functional set up. I don't think it's eiitist to like the PS3...I think my position is more elitist, actually...I can admit that ;) There's just a lot of subjectivity here, so I don't feel like arguing it...I just agreed with that one poster and kinda hoped my one little sentence wouldn't snowball into an all out war.

The only nerd cred comment was about Linux...c'mon, even a nerd like myself is familiar with the wonderful of installing Linux on everything that has writable memory...and how 9/10 times it's not really useful. :lol:

[quote name='Kryn']
In serious news, if you jumped on this deal like I did and now are trying to backpedal because it's not BC, don't expect to be able to cancel! You nor the customer service operator are allowed to cancel orders. Looks like I'm sunk $500 until I can get this to arrive and be returned to a store.[/quote]

I read your previous post and originally added that the discussion was no longer relevant. But then I read this bit from silent h3ro: "The very last PS3 with BC was the MGS4 bundle and it does include the DS3."

I then looked at the two-word "specs" on Sears' product page and realized the language seems intentionally ambiguous -- they couldn't have made it more vague if they tried. Besides which, Sears wrote to me saying the original bundle was in stock -- why would they do that if they're selling something else? It's Sears, after all, not USBTOYSINTERNATIONAL.

Can somebody modify the thread title to reflect that the deal offered is (likely) incorrect?
Gladly, Kryn. The only thing I'd like to confirm is that you've either spoken with someone who verified your suspicions or can give me good reason to believe your suspicions are correct.

===========================================================================
ninja dog: Yes, I thought your position was covertly more elitist than mine as well (MS being on the generic PC tip and so more respectably solid than manipulative PS3 programming goo or the faux-individualist Mac franchise, for that matter (in case your reverse elitism point isn't clear enough)). But that doesn't matter, because you're not playing the populist ace, which is what caused me to narrow my peepers.

[quote name='ninja dog']I'm not going to get into a console war argument, but all I ask is that you stop saying there's a ton of extra stuff...it's sounding downright viral. Stick to what's there: Blu-ray, media hub capabilities, and sure, why not, the option to install Linux. So you get a PS3, a mostly BC PS2, and blu-ray, a media hub, and nerd bragging rights for installing yet another useless iteration of Linux on yet another device that didn't need it in the first place.[/quote]

Fine, let's eliminate the Linux aspect. It's pretty useless to most people. It's still there, though, as something that is officially supported by Sony.

Anyway, as far as this model goes, you're getting a current-gen gaming system with BC for the last two generations (MS and Nintendo can only offer you BC catalogs going back one generation...and in MS's case, the 360's BC is downright laughable). You're also getting a Blu-ray player...a damn good one, at that. If it was terrible or average at playing movies, like the 360's HD-DVD add-on, I could understand this being marginalized...but it's not. It's quite the good movie player.

So, At the end of the day, in terms of gaming, you're basically getting everything you can get from a 360 or Wii (in some regards more and in others less) and a Blu-ray player. You're also getting a machine that has the ability to hold a larger hard drive than the 360, one that you can upgrade yourself for quite cheap. You're also getting built-in WiFi and a memory card reader in this 80GB model, as well.

[quote name='charlescheese']This may be your last shot at a BC PS3 people. That's so sad too. I'm really upset that they killed BC in the PS3. I hope to God they bring it back for the PS4.[/quote]

They won't bring it back with PS4. They said they are done with BC permanently and just look what happened (this is after they promised at E3 to continue BC always in the PS brand). They had nearly %100 BC, then a nice high percentage (still sucked compared to 60GB), and then killed it completely- they won't even spend a second on it next time.

Some may think this is ridiculous (maybe it is but I don't care), this is why they have permanently lost a customer for any product they make.

bread's done
Back