ps3, BC, what is my best move for co-op ARPGs

CKaz

CAGiversary!
Immediate apologies for length, but for those with stamina, here's my dilema -

I really don't have a need for a PS3, so I waited for a nice bundle down the road. 2 types of backward compatability and entirely phased out later, I'm not even sure it's in the cards now.

I have a xbox360, and it certainly helped pave the way for a 52" HD 720p
It's backward compatability has been -OK- but some key elements missed

Maybe I need to dig into details on the web but I'm hoping someone in a similiar place can help...

I have last gen/PS2 games that still haven't been replaced this generation, frankly. Sacred 2 still doesn't reach Baldurs Gate or Champions of Norrath levels IMO for co-op fun with the wife. Action RPGs have been really in short supply - Marvel Heroes doesn't cut it really - and titles like Gladius dont even have sequels/similiar offerings.

So BC is pretty big to me, in particular for those RPGs - does it work well, does it aid in graphic transition to higher resolution and/or widescreen, and I *really* want the wireless. So with the need of a HD hookup, wireless controllers, and hopes for some graphic aid, the PS3 sounded pretty good down the road. Enter BC removal and my dilema.

Xbox360 did some BC there but 2player is unplayable with the ARPGs they did do. And frankly I find it REALLY unlikely they're going to help with that anytime soon. Gladius wasnt on the list, and if the Xbox360 is lacking, its 2 player COUCH CO-OP. I have xbox live gold but I'm really annoyed that it's support seems to be at the cost of the casual/fun play with the wife (or for others, girlfriend). Don't get me started on the party ability I used to have with my Saturn or Dreamcast... but c'mon, at least good couch co-op!

I have an old PS2, I never had wireless controllers, I dont have a component or HD hook-up for it. I also hear PS3 can browse, make use of my USB items better, and my wireless logitech keyboard/mouse should even work on it then, so there big kudos to Sony >>> MS. Thing is w/o a blue ray draw there's no question where my game desires have sat - Xbox360.

I'm ok with my HD/regular 'upscaling', and w/o a 1080p I'm not sure blue-ray be much of a boost anyways, I'm certainly not in for higher price/rebuying. I re-hook the original xbox up at times, though I think that's on the way out, last time I turned it on I got a flashy there. I won't get started on a mini-rant as to how my much older consoles like Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, SNES, NES, Intellivision (!) still work...

The xbox at least tried to do some of the HD stuff though, while the PS2 and Gamecube have a tougher time. I also cant say I have component for all options (unlike the xbox) but I dont think that's the issue.

Net net net it's tough to know what to do. I'm far away from the TV, so wireless controls are key. I'd *love* to get some of the older games running again - can anyone chime in about the earlier PS3s BC of the ARPGs? You can see why I've just left this alone, I hoped Sacred 2 would come along and change that... and I just feel I overpaid for an iffy game, it's not worth $60 at all IMO. We can hardly see what we're doing on my 52", once again why was couch co-op ARPGs so much better last generation?

With no signs of Sony reviving BC - which with PS2 starting to overtake PS3 sales seems REALLY silly - is it a good move to hunt for older PS3s, and if so, which of the options/packages/BC? Or should I just go new PS2 [mine is the old one, get the slimmer one with network, why not], new wireless remotes, component/HD plug for it and accept the ratio/fuzziness? Or is fixing/going back to the original Xbox my best move, once again needing to buy xbox wireless controllers, as the xbox360 BC was too limited/craptastic there?

To give another example, the best thing the wife and I have played co-op lately is Explosion Man - you can see what you're doing, the camera is very intelligent, and it's very well put together. That's an 800 MS Point game! Maybe I'll get into Sacred 2 eventually, but their menus and implementation seems more like an in progress frankly... sometimes we can't even really identify what we're fighting. Meh.

So any thoughts to my best PS3 move, or someone who's happy with their PS2 or Xbox (or Cube?) still for ARPGs with their setup... I'm interested.

I had the backwards compatability PS3 sitting right next to my PS2, and while I was never into ARPGs I did run copies of my ps2 fighters and metal gears, and in all honesty they looked like crap on the up converter. I was not pleased with the up conversion what-so-ever running on a 1080p, and noticed more pixelation than with my component hookup and the ps2. The up conversion made similar color pixels (i.e. faces) seem fuzzy, with the darker pixels really standing out (I swear there were times in Metal Gear Solid where it looked like Snake grew a beard) But ultimately it's your call. Maybe hold onto the ps2 till it breaks, and you're absolutely forced to make a decision. I'd just hate to think you sunk good money into last gen systems/wireless for one game that's not coded to look better and will only slightly look better, if at all, with up conversion. And to my knowledge there is no such thing as HD cables for the PS2, highest you can go is component.

Yeah - component isnt a bad move since I'm looking at 720p anyways tho eh
Better than composite and svideo anyways, I have only up to the latter so far Though I'm not really sure how much better PS2 can display than SVideo, either

Thanks for your thoughts, if PS3 BC doesn't do much at all for PS2 titles, maybe PS2 - component cable - wireless controllers for that is the way to go, that's the type of info I need. And maybe figuring out if the component will improve it over svideo.

edit - just to be clear though, it's a bunch of games, e.g. both Baldurs Gates, both Champions, Gladius etc - some I might have on a different console but I could always pick it up used. Only ARPG I can think of not on the PS2 was D&D Heroes - Xbox only - good, but not great. PS2 was the only one with [both] Champs of Norrath titles though and one reason why I'd probably give the nod to the PS2, along with the no HD/flashy light syndrome =b

GameCube had Gladius but I'm not sure if they even had both Baldurs Gates, not as good controllers for ARPGs (IMO), ps2 probably wins there too although any of them I need wireless, and I had heard good things about wavebirds and they're cheap. Still, last gen for this purpose its probably ps2 > xbox > gamecube.

bread's done
Back