PS3 Best Buy launch stock #'s

vahn401

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
hey there, checked what Best Buy stores will be getting for PS3 units on launch, and it seems across all stores company wide, stores will be receiving between 20-24 of the $599.99 unit, and around 4-6 of the $499.99 units. I had the clerk check about 2 dozen stores throughout the whole U.S., and same #'s. So unless Best Buy receives another shipment between now and Friday, this will be the final #'s for those who wish to begin camping. Hope this helps some people with planning. Thanks

The big question about these numbers will be if dozens upon dozens of people well past the 'cutoff point' will stubbornly and futily stay in line anyway, not believing the truth.

A corollary question would be if a given Best Buy will be merciful enough to let them know well before store open. I know the one nearest me for one reason or another didn't extend that courtesy last year for the 360...even though employees were in-store overnight stocking product. What's worse is that the dips****s I talked to the next afternoon (I was there for a couple DVDs, having already secured my 360 from Gamestop long ago) seemed to take more than a little pleasure in revealing how many people were left sitting outside for nothing. fuckers.

Don't know about BB but all Circuit City stores will have a poster for the ps3 and wii launch on which it has a box where they are to write the number of units that they have and then they will post this outside.

You know, I should be feeling more than a little 'Cartman' in anticipation of the Wii being a week away, but all I can think about is a certain football game taking place between the two consoles' launches...I'm sure I'm going to have dreams about Lee Corso putting a big Toad 'head' on outside a Best Buy. What a freaking insane weekend we've got ahead of us.

[quote name='jollydwarf']You know, I should be feeling more than a little 'Cartman' in anticipation of the Wii being a week away[/quote]

"come on!!!!!"

From Best Buy Website

PlayStation 3 Launch
Best Buy Store Opening Hours and Ticket Process

Here are the details on how PS3 Launch Day will work at Best Buy store locations:

All Best Buy stores will open at 8:00 a.m. on November 17. Starting at 7 a.m., store employees will hand out tickets, and each ticket will be good for one PS3 console purchase. (One ticket per customer. See details below.*)

Each store will have a minimum of 20 of the 60GB PS3 Systems and 6 of the 20GB systems.

So, head over for your chance to be one of the first gamers to score the awesome new console, plus pick up all the games and accessories you'll need to complete the total PlayStation 3 experience.

Learn more about PlayStation 3, and check out the cool games and accessories.

Note: Due to limited supplies, PS3 is not available for sale on BestBuy.com during its initial release.

*Quantities limited. Tickets grant customers the option to buy one PS3 console and are valid within one hour of that store's opening. We are unable to guarantee all customers in line will receive a ticket. No rainchecks.

gl_ftr_bblogo.gif

spacer.gif

The best thing to do is if you have one of the CC that are doing the midnight the 16th launch near you, is to go there, at least they will have 100 of them.

The one closest to my house really isn't that close and is not a real good area.

[quote name='BGPu']Any word on how many units the midnight launch Best Buys are getting?[/quote]

I don't think BB is doing a midnight launch are they ?

This is going to create a damn nightmare! Do you know how difficult it will be to get one of these. People are going to camp out so early, it will be nearly impossible to get one on launch day. 20-25 is a nasty number, I think 360 launched around 65-85 per store. Is the PS3 numbers lower on launch then the 360 was?

Not sure if this is repeat info, but a few stores are doing a midnight opening. The web site offered this info to me, I guess since my local one is on the list (matched to my zip code I would imagine)..

Sony's next generation game console arrives at midnight

The wait is almost over: The latest in console gaming greatness will soon be upon us, and just after midnight on November 17, PlayStation 3 can be yours!

Select Best Buy stores — including one near you (see list below) — will open at 12:01 a.m. on November 17. Store employees will hand out tickets starting at 11 p.m. on Thursday, November 16, and each ticket will be good for one PS3 console purchase. (One ticket per customer. See details below.*)

f_061112_ps3midnight_2.jpg

So, head over for your chance to be one of the first gamers to score the awesome new console, plus all the games and accessories you'll need to complete the total PlayStation 3 experience.

These Best Buy stores will open at 12:01 a.m. on Friday, November 17.
(Use our store locator for directions.)
  • Mesa, AZ (6315 E. Southern Ave.)
  • Los Angeles, CA (11301 W. Pico Blvd.)
  • El Cajon, CA (149 Fletcher Pkwy.)
  • W. Hollywood, CA (1015 N. La Brea Ave.)
  • Hialeah, FL (4001 W. 20th Ave.)
  • Tampa, FL (1725 N. Dale Mabry Hwy.)
  • Duluth, GA (1875 Pleasant Hill Rd.)
  • Downers Grove, IL (1432 Butterfield Rd.)
  • Boston, MA (401 Park Dr.)
  • Ann Arbor, MI (3100 Lohr Rd.)
  • Richfield, MN (1000 West 78th St.)
  • Chesterfield, MO (178 THF Blvd.)
  • Mt. Laurel, NJ (1420 Nixon Dr.)
  • Midtown Manhattan, NY (529 5th Ave.)
  • New York City, NY (622 Broadway)
  • Cuyahoga Falls, OH (445 Howe Ave.)
  • Plano, TX (2800 N Central Expy)
  • Houston, TX (5133 Richmond Ave.)
Learn more about PlayStation 3, and check out the cool games and accessories.

*Quantities limited. Tickets grant customers the option to buy a PS3 console and are valid for just one hour after that store's midnight opening. We are unable to guarantee all customers in line will receive a ticket. No rainchecks.

[quote name='jaffray']This is going to create a damn nightmare! Do you know how difficult it will be to get one of these. People are going to camp out so early, it will be nearly impossible to get one on launch day. 20-25 is a nasty number, I think 360 launched around 65-85 per store. Is the PS3 numbers lower on launch then the 360 was?[/QUOTE]

That's why if i wait to sell mine a few weeks before christimas, i predict the price on the aftermarket will boom extremelly. As people see there is no chance of a second shipment, combined with the probability that much less then 400k will hit our shores, then i have to believe there will be a frenzy. Frenzy = spending.

Just one thing to note -- the Best Buy ad for the 360 launch noted 'minimum 20 per store' on the premiums and 'minimum 10 per store' on the cores. Remember, that's a MINIMUM!

Good lookin' out for those that tend to overlook operative words. Yes, it's true, most stores will have a significant amount more than the 20/6 minimum. This tends to always be the case with Best Buy stated minimums. Now whether that's, say, 40/12, 60/18, or any other numbers remains to be seen. I would say that the average store will get a total of at least 60 PS3. This is Best Buy, after all, and they do seem to have the 'hook-up' with Sony.

I still can't get over that one of those midnight-opening stores is literally ten minutes away from me. I'll bet the line (minimum of five people) starts before dawn on the 16th there. I'll also bet that by about 3 o'clock Thursday, i.e. when school lets out for most kids, it'll be too late. Hell, who am I kidding...that's only nine hours to wait. That'll definitely be too' fuckin' late.

EDIT: As people see there is no chance of a second shipment, combined with the probability that much less then 400k will hit our shores, then i have to believe there will be a frenzy. Frenzy = spending.

My take on this is that parents who are not very affluent and have kids that just gotta get the newest, most coolestest game system shouldn't feel the pressure to spend a dime over MSRP for one, let alone double, triple, or even quadruple it. See, if your kids are old enough to not believe in Santa, then they're old enough to understand that you'd rather take that ridiculous eBay money and put it towards the console, games, accessories, etc., albeit not all on Christmas Day. If the kids are young/simple-minded enough to believe in Tim Alle--I mean, Mr. Claus, then they're probably too young to really appreciate and take care of a $600 console (or a $400 one last year). They just need to deal. Teach them a little fuckin' patience, will ya? It's easy for me to say this, because it's not an issue for me, but then again, that in no way, shape, or form means I'm wrong. It just means I can afford the idealistic (and ultimately right...harumph!) perspecitve.

Now concerning obsessive fanfucks and extremely spoiled children, well, there's no remedying those factions. Except eradication, of course.

If I had kids, I doubt I'd buy them a $600 console. Hell, I probably wouldn't even let them play video games except on weekends if their homework was done. They'd be allowed to watch me play MY $600 console on weekdays though.

I love how Sony said that 400,000 was still more than the 360 launch but somehow I seriously doubt that because Bestbuy.com was selling 360s on launch day whereas here they won't be selling PS3s.

Actually there were only 400,000 360's at launch last year as well. They had a total of 700,000 shipped by xmas.

The midnight launch stores are your best bet, if they handle it like the 360 launch. Those stores got from 180-300, if memory serves. They turn into big media events. At the Burbank store, all the major networks stopped by. The morning traffic copters even hovered overhead with video.

My niece told me the next day at school, her principal, teacher, and school security guard all told her they saw me on the news. :)

I'm guessing one will need to be inline by 10 pm the night before to get one . . . my local ad says that numbers will be given out at 7 am with the store opening at 8 am.

I'd like to get one for resale (total bastard behavior on my part) but I can't see camping out overnight to do it.

[quote name='roymustang']I love how Sony said that 400,000 was still more than the 360 launch but somehow I seriously doubt that because Bestbuy.com was selling 360s on launch day whereas here they won't be selling PS3s.[/quote]

But didn't each store also only get about 8 machines?

[quote name='jollydwarf']What's worse is that the dips****s I talked to the next afternoon (I was there for a couple DVDs, having already secured my 360 from Gamestop long ago) seemed to take more than a little pleasure in revealing how many people were left sitting outside for nothing. fuckers.[/quote]

Do you remember working retail? Considering they take alot of crap from people everyday, I don't blame them for having some fun.

[quote name='TheGame']Actually there were only 400,000 360's at launch last year as well. They had a total of 700,000 shipped by xmas.[/QUOTE]

Gotta love all of the people complaining about the PS3 launch.....

Nintendo seems to be the only company doing it right.....again.

Do you remember working retail? Considering they take alot of crap from people everyday, I don't blame them for having some fun.

Well, that's the "Sith" spirit!

Seriously, there's 'having fun' at the expense of obnoxious consumers, and then there's letting dozens of people sit needlessly in a near-freezing drizzle for hours on end. For the more Jedi-like of us--hell, even those with a Han-y heart of gold on the inside--that's just over the line.

In other news...I saw the Best Buy circular this morning and, gee, I think maybe they do have a better-than-average 'working relationship' with Sony, as I really don't remember the 360 getting that kind of love. What was even more interesting is that the Target ad seemed to go for 'consolation prize' counterprogramming with the 360. Of course, Toys R Wii went with, well, yeah.

And you thought the 'campaign season' just ended!

Remember during the PSP launch they gave away$5 off coupons to try and make people happy that couldn't get one. Maybe we can snap some decent coupons???

[quote name='soulwish2003']Remember during the PSP launch they gave away$5 off coupons to try and make people happy that couldn't get one. Maybe we can snap some decent coupons???[/quote]

Did they have $10 off coupons from the 360 launch as well?

[quote name='SteveyWonderMac']Did they have $10 off coupons from the 360 launch as well?[/QUOTE]

Yup, $10 off $29.99+. Some people had issues at the 29.99 price since the wording was like "games above $29.99" even though it scanned fine.

My DS collection grew enormously in December 2005, thanks, Microsoft and Best Buy! ;) (I really hope they do something similar but since we haven't heard word, and we knew about that one way in advance, I'm assuming we won't. BB/MS (whoever was paying for the coupon) must've lost a lot of money)

Looks like the midnight stores are getting 40 60GB and 40 20GB according to www.ps3vault.com

Folks, news just came from our reliable correspondent aka Mr. OJ that Best Buy has recently released 4 tier based PS3 allocation information to their managers, and the allocation is based on volume of each store. Tier 1 stores will get 20 premium systems and 6 regulars. Tier 2 stores will get 22 premiums and 8 regulars and Tier 3 stores will receive 24 premiums and 10 regulars. The last tier store which is considered high volume stores will receive around 40 premiums and 40 regulars and also, will open at midnight. Furthermore, they will allow people to form a line Thursday 12:01 am but not before that.

[quote name='rcavictor1956']Gotta love all of the people complaining about the PS3 launch.....

Nintendo seems to be the only company doing it right.....again.[/QUOTE]

Take a look at the numbers of the last gen.

Which system sold more units : PS2, Xbox, or Cube?

The Answer? PS2.

Even if the 360 launched with the same amount as PS3 is the PS2 had a MUCH bigger following. I would even dare to say 10 times the amount of systems sold then Xbox and Cube combined. So 400k for a PS3 launch is shit. Sony SHOULD have had 1 Million in American, simple as that. However since Sony has to add the trojan Blu-Ray into the mix this won;t happen anytime soon.

welp, I'm going to do everything in my power to get a ps3 but I'll probably fail...yet again... :(

Mesa AZ midnight launch for me!

I would LOVE to know what all these people paying insane Ebay prices for a PS3 do for a living. Sure most of them can afford it or have saved up just for this day but you know that some of these people probably are going to have to skip Christmas and eat Ramen for months just to pay for their shiny new toy.

I'm excited about this even though i'm not camping out. Why? Because I love camping out for launches! Yes, I actually enjoy it. It's kinda fun, and I don't even want a PS3 right now. If I had an extra 600 bones laying around, I might acutally do it.

[quote name='$hady']I would LOVE to know what all these people paying insane Ebay prices for a PS3 do for a living. Sure most of them can afford it or have saved up just for this day but you know that some of these people probably are going to have to skip Christmas and eat Ramen for months just to pay for their shiny new toy.[/QUOTE]

ever been to Orange County ;)?

The Superstition best buy in Mesa, AZ is getting 93 PS3's

they are one of the stores doing a midnight launch

bread's done
Back