PS3 blinking red light... FIXED

[quote name='xeex']My 60GB lasted from July, 2007 to September, 2009. Got the YLOD on Wednesday.

Finally got around to fixing it today using the Gilksy videos, and it's working again. I've kind of lost my faith in the hardware, though, and don't expect this fix to last too long (hopefully through Uncharted 2).[/QUOTE]

i would do a full backup, de-activate accounts, and trade it into gamestop while you have a working system. I believe they give you 150 for any ps3 towards a slim. I got tired of defective ps3s from sony back and forth (i was on my 6th refurb) and got a slim myself and its been wonderful.

I wish everyone else could've had the same luck as I did with fixing their systems. I'm almost two months in on my home-fixed one and it is running as good as day one.

All this talk has me afraid of the future on my console (80gig MGS4). I opted and got the 2 yr. extended warranty from walmart. So I got just under two years to return it no questions asked. However my ps3 gets too much daily use out of it. Really tempted to just deactivate all my accounts while I can, trade it in for a slim. Hopefully get $200 store credit and throw my old HDD in the new slim. What'd ya think guys???

I got waaay too much $$$ in gameshares to be lost.

You won't be able to just install the old hdd in a new system and be good to go. Installing any hdd in the ps3, regardless if it has been in a previous ps3, requires you to reformat the hdd.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You won't be able to just install the old hdd in a new system and be good to go. Installing any hdd in the ps3, regardless if it has been in a previous ps3, requires you to reformat the hdd.[/QUOTE]
yeah i understand that thanx. just meant throwing my 320hdd in the slim rather than keeping the 120.

Is there any way this could be tied to the harddrive? I could hear mine spinning away in there, didn't notice that before.

Seriously thinking of trying to fix it myself. Got the YLOD yesterday and I don't have the extra cash to send it in to get a refurbished unit.

[quote name='motorcitydice']Seriously thinking of trying to fix it myself. Got the YLOD yesterday and I don't have the extra cash to send it in to get a refurbished unit.[/QUOTE]

Give it a shot since you really don't have anything to lose. Even if you break it more, it'll still cost $150 for Sony to repair it so there's really no disincentive not to try. Just make sure you get a good heat gun and be careful!

[quote name='Ecofreak']Give it a shot since you really don't have anything to lose. Even if you break it more, it'll still cost $150 for Sony to repair it so there's really no disincentive not to try. Just make sure you get a good heat gun and be careful![/QUOTE]

Agreed. The heat gun is absolutely essential in the process, as you need to get the board heated up enough.

Also, for the heat adhesive, I would like to recommend using arctic silver 5. You can get a tube at radioshack for roughly $5.00. That is the brand that I used and 2 1/2 months later my 60 gb is still running great.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Give it a shot since you really don't have anything to lose. Even if you break it more, it'll still cost $150 for Sony to repair it so there's really no disincentive not to try. Just make sure you get a good heat gun and be careful![/QUOTE]

I repaired it myself with no problems at all... just a few differences to the hardware that was on the YouTube video. Thanks OP, this really encouraged me to DIY.

I wrote a pretty detailed write up on my experience in my CAG blog. Be sure to check them out!

Part 1: The diagnosis
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10730

Part 2: The solution
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10811

If you need me, I'll be probably be playing my freshly repaired PS3. :D

[quote name='motorcitydice']I repaired it myself with no problems at all... just a few differences to the hardware that was on the YouTube video. Thanks OP, this really encouraged me to DIY.

I wrote a pretty detailed write up on my experience in my CAG blog. Be sure to check them out!

Part 1: The diagnosis
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10730

Part 2: The solution
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=10811

If you need me, I'll be probably be playing my freshly repaired PS3. :D[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the fix! Keep us posted on how it holds up.

Just wanted to update, my PS3 crashed again (while playing Fallout again, nonetheless) on Saturday evening. The repair process didn't take nearly as long as it did the first time, and I got it all fixed up and back together again in a little over an hour following the video I posted on here. The first time it lasted about 2 1/2 months, so I'm hoping it can last that long again. If it craps out every 2 months or so, I'll just keep it as I enjoy taking it apart and putting it back together.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Just wanted to update, my PS3 crashed again (while playing Fallout again, nonetheless) on Saturday evening. The repair process didn't take nearly as long as it did the first time, and I got it all fixed up and back together again in a little over an hour following the video I posted on here. The first time it lasted about 2 1/2 months, so I'm hoping it can last that long again. If it craps out every 2 months or so, I'll just keep it as I enjoy taking it apart and putting it back together.[/QUOTE]

I saw a fluxing video on youtube, says you need to add it after the 2-3 repair. I'll try and find it later, but if you plan to keep fixing it you might have to invest in some of that too from every other repair or so. Not to sure what it even is... Think it helps fill gaps in soldering?

>>>here it is.

^ That's completely new to me. I appreciate your posting it, and I will definitely look into locating some flux next time my system craps out.

BTW, do you happen to know which system that motherboard is from? I don't think the 60 gb systems have that gold plating around the outside. Just curious if you knew whether it was an 80 gb or one of the newer models?

My PS3 YLOD'd on me last night when I was playing uncharted 2. I'm not much of a handyman, so i think fixing it myself is out of the question. What do you guys think of sending it to an ebay repair service? I just want my game saves back dammit =(

Do you still have your sony warranty on the system? If so, I would highly recommend sending it back to them. If not, I don't know what to recommend as far as ebay sellers, but if you are thinking of picking up a new system and you just want your game data off your current system, you might try removing the HD from your system and hooking it up to your computer, and then transferring the data to your pc til you get a new one. I don't know how that is done, but a buddy of mine informed me that it could be done with a special cable of some kind. Just a thought.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']If you are thinking of picking up a new system and you just want your game data off your current system, you might try removing the HD from your system and hooking it up to your computer, and then transferring the data to your pc til you get a new one. I don't know how that is done, but a buddy of mine informed me that it could be done with a special cable of some kind. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Does not work at all, the files on the drive are encrypted to the point where a pc does not see the drive data at all. (trust me)

the drives are standard 2.5 inch sata drives which are readable by computers, but the file system is not at all readable by computers.

Yeah not sure what you should do. I think I saw some people selling their Ps3's on craig's list. Saw one for $150 that was also yellowed. Maybe check there too.

If you do decided to work on it yourself with a friend maybe, the PS3 does look intimidating until you get it opened up. They did a good job with separating all the key components so once you get an understanding of the different layers via guides and what not, it isn't to tough. Just take your time, study up/watch videos, and make sure you have all the proper tools ahead of time.

agreed w/ NamPaehc- once you get the outer shells off of the board and pull away the power supply and disc drive, it really is quite simplistic.

jonlubbe, thanks for clearing that up. I had never tried it before, so I wasn't sure how or even if it would work.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']
jonlubbe, thanks for clearing that up. I had never tried it before, so I wasn't sure how or even if it would work.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, that knowledge was gained from personal experience.

now on ps3 #4 and (hopefully) final!

I have a 60GB PS3. I've noticed the fan running more often lately and I even blew out the dust (surprisingly not much there). If this is a common failure I'm going to be pretty annoyed. $500 for 2 years of a game console ($250/yr) is pretty crappy. If mine bombs I may just sell the remaining games online and give up. I don't see spending another $150 - $300 to get a repair or another replacement console.

[quote name='lokizz']have there been any ps3 deaths with the 80gb bc models? ive been doing what i can to clear it out of dust but i get that feeling i could clean it better by opening it up. also when you send in a bc console to get repaired and get a refurb is it still the same kind of system like if you send in a 60gb you will get another 60gb jut not yours?[/QUOTE]

my BC 80GB did

Yeah the issue in the older style is so deep down in there, it makes me wonder if the ventilation system can really do enough on its own to get that core heat out of there and keep this from happening in time with all of them

hey fella's, 80 Gig PS3 on the bench 4 times in 3 weeks. i came here looking for more info on how this can be repaired more effectively. looks like it's a crap shoot, but i'm getting so fast at this now it hardly matters.

two observations about my ps3 internals i want to share are:

1: the heat sink finish is no where near as polished as i expected. it looks like a piece of wood (ring shaped pattern) idea to fix this is to use some wet dry sand paper with cutting oil to polish this heat sink up to take out the grooves.
keep in mind there are two heat sinks, one for the cell processor and one for the "emotion engine"?? (sound right?) which covers the emulation and processing of ps2 and ps1 games.
the heat sink with the grooves is mated to the emotion chip responsible for backwards compatibility.

2: the paste from the emotion chip is dried up, and looks to have air pockets when lifted away. i swear this is the cause of the YLOD in this ps3. anyone else see this sort of craftsmanship issue when opening there ps3?

i have used arctic silver paste as well as rosewill "paint on" thermal grease which is rated for 240 C as opposed to arctic silver at 180 C.

i will try the flux tonight and see how that goes for longevity.
will also polish this H S and see how that goes.

other thoughts...
i wonder if i only pull the battery on this thing for 20 minutes if it fires back up. i have scorched the hell out of this board once and then the second time i barely gave it heat at all. no difference in how long the thing stays up and running. reflow usually good for about 20 hours of play on this pig.

bought a fan system to pull heat out of it and that did no good at all so peeps, save your money (i know i know, YOU could have told me that)

man on a mission...

Does anyone here know where I can pick up some of that flux stuff? I'm thinking radioshack or best buy, but I just wanted to check before I ran all the way out to my closest stores.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']Does anyone here know where I can pick up some of that flux stuff? I'm thinking radioshack or best buy, but I just wanted to check before I ran all the way out to my closest stores.[/QUOTE]

Going to have to call around. I know Radioshack has it but maybe not the non-clean/non-abrasive version which is important. I haven't looked into it to much myself, so I don't know how rare that is or even how hard it is to find it in pen/syringe form. Though I do know it is part of soldering so other electric stores might be able to help you like Fry's.

Good thing you got it fixed... I had a terrible dream that it happened to me (*knock on wood*) that I haven't had it happen yet...

flux in a pen is like liquid and is what is needed to apply the flux. i tried putting flux on the board last night that is thick like paste, then i "slightly" warmed up the flux until it melted under the cpu (holding the board upright) this got the flux down there, but i wonder if i put too much heat to it because the old pig won't fire up.
trying again...
get a pen!

i'm sure now that when i added the flux i used too much heat and pulled some solder out of the joints.
GAME OVER. no re-do's
looking for a PS3!:cry:

My fix lasted 40 days.

Time to crack it open again for round 2.

EDIT: Fixed again with another reflow. Ejected my game, deactivated the system, backed up any unlocked saves, and turned the thing off for good. I highly doubt reflow #2 will last as long as #1 did, so... Slim time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revived again. I have a feeling that this PS3 is living on borrowed time. Sad to say that I'll be looking for a Slim after X-mas.

[quote name='motorcitydice']Revived again. I have a feeling that this PS3 is living on borrowed time. Sad to say that I'll be looking for a Slim after X-mas.[/QUOTE]

You're not the only one. Mine is running fine as of right now, but I have a bad feeling that before christmas it's gonna bomb again, and if I can't find any flux, I'll be shelling out 300 for a fresh one.

I have a morality question for everyone on here who reads this thread: Despite my system having crashed twice, would I be able to trade it in to gamestop for whatever credit they give and put that towards a new system? I know they only give about 150 if that, but I think that may be better than what I would get for listing a thrice ylod PS3 on CL. Gamestop does issue their own warranty don't they? So they would just fix it up if it went wrong for the next owner? I am prepared to take the glaring stares for this thought, but I may as well ask.

I'm getting desperate as MW2 draws near, so I've been researching this fix by reading the gilsky pdf and watching some videos online. I have a couple questions:

What's flux? How do I get that and for how much? When do I apply it and to where? Is that the same thing as arctic silver?

Also, would a soldering pen work? Or should I get a bigger soldering gun/heat gun or whatever it's called?

I had a buddy whom this happened to. He's having a hell of a time getting a working one back from sony. They have sent him three so far. I have a refurbished model. I bought it from an online company that sells refurbished ones. It hasn't failed yet (knock on wood). It's a 60GB by the way. It's good to know about this though. I worry about it failing.

[quote name='pinoyunggoy']I'm getting desperate as MW2 draws near, so I've been researching this fix by reading the gilsky pdf and watching some videos online. I have a couple questions:

What's flux? How do I get that and for how much? When do I apply it and to where? Is that the same thing as arctic silver?

Also, would a soldering pen work? Or should I get a bigger soldering gun/heat gun or whatever it's called?[/QUOTE]

Flux seems to be used in the soldering process. So a electric store should have some BUT be careful! Gilsky used non-clean/no-clean lead free flux so you don't have to clean the board as well. I don't have any experience with it, just mentioning because of this video which may or may not help keep the system last longer.

Here is that gilsky video where he explains about the re-fluxing process.

thanks man that video helps a lot. i'm trying to get a hold of a heat gun so i guess i won't need to be applying flux yet. i just want some time to get my game saves, my uncharted 2 disc out, and maybe get some mw2 in

[quote name='EDiddy0042']You're not the only one. Mine is running fine as of right now, but I have a bad feeling that before christmas it's gonna bomb again, and if I can't find any flux, I'll be shelling out 300 for a fresh one.

I have a morality question for everyone on here who reads this thread: Despite my system having crashed twice, would I be able to trade it in to gamestop for whatever credit they give and put that towards a new system? I know they only give about 150 if that, but I think that may be better than what I would get for listing a thrice ylod PS3 on CL. Gamestop does issue their own warranty don't they? So they would just fix it up if it went wrong for the next owner? I am prepared to take the glaring stares for this thought, but I may as well ask.[/QUOTE]
You're not alone on that thought process bro ;)

Mine YLOD'd a couple days before the Slim launch (oh the irony) and I've noticed a lot of 60GB models have had the same thing happen, which has lead me to follow the conspiracy theory :p.

I did the heatgun fix on my 60GB and traded it in promptly after backing up the HDD, deactivating the account, and so on. I reasoned that instead of paying $150 to receive a refurbed console, I might as well trade it in, get $150 and put it towards the new slim. The fact that I still own a slim PS2 made the decision much easier.

There might be a morality issue for some, but in my mind I was just doing what was needed to alleviate the problem with the most beneficial solution. I don't regret it, I only had to pull another $150 out of my pocket for a new slim, and tbh, I'd rather have the new skinny than the old phatty; It's much more convenient.

If you have any Capcom Saves and/or a Killzone 2 save, be prepared to lose those, they don't carry over to different consoles. With regards to KZ2, only your SP progress will be lost, your MP stats/badges/etc.. are all saved online.

^^ Good, I'm glad it has crossed other people's minds as well. Fortunately, I don't have KZ2 anymore or any capcom games, so I will be all set if it craps out again.

it kinda sucks that rock band doesnt transfer over either. i did a lot of gamesharing with the dlc and now i can't get that anymore unless i message everyone who had it. plus that's a pain to redownload. i'm also sad i'm losing my sf4 and kz2 saves.

The funny thing about the SF4 save was it forced me to redo everything, and because of that, I ended up getting the platinum. I somehow was better at it redoing all the challenges/online medals :p

[quote name='EDiddy0042']^ That's completely new to me. I appreciate your posting it, and I will definitely look into locating some flux next time my system craps out.
[/QUOTE]

ebay has some pens for sale. you want kester 951 no clean flux. just follow the gilksy1 video someone posted.

Well, system is shot... again. Gonna fix it up and take it in to GS tomorrow. Does anyone know if that $25.00 bonus on console trade-ins is still going on? I swear, my system must hate Fallout 3, since that is the game I've had to get out of it all 3 times its crapped out. Oh well. Hope you all have better luck with your systems than I did.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']I have a morality question for everyone on here who reads this thread: Despite my system having crashed twice, would I be able to trade it in to gamestop for whatever credit they give and put that towards a new system? I know they only give about 150 if that, but I think that may be better than what I would get for listing a thrice ylod PS3 on CL. Gamestop does issue their own warranty don't they? So they would just fix it up if it went wrong for the next owner? I am prepared to take the glaring stares for this thought, but I may as well ask.[/QUOTE]

If it's a 60GB model, you may still be able to get $150 or $200 for it on CL, since these models are rare. GameStop DOES issue a warranty on the 60GB model:

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64006

They actually charge more for it than all the other PS3 models (except the 250GB Slim). 30 day warranty for the new buyer.

Need some basic info guys
My 60gb died yesterday during RB2 song doing the blinking yellow to red business, my question is
if I manage to get it running again what do I need to do with my online account so I can redownload the PSN games I purchased and RB songs. I see you guys are deactivating them I just need some clarification on what do so I can put my paid for DLC on my new sys if get one. Also any info on the 3.15 LAN transfer between systems anyone tried it. Thanks SAD in YLOD land.

Well two nights ago my OG 20GB YLOD'd on me while playing GOW Collection. It is a refurb that I got back from Sony about 1 year after launch (but obviously it was still a launch system) and it has run strong with no problems since then until this. I upgraded the HD to 250 GB at some point as well.

It is weird though I remembered hearing about this but also that its was mostly the 60 GB models. Still it seems there's nothing I can do but try this.

As long as I remove my HD I should not lose any info except what is installed in the PS3 flash drive correct? Also if I end up eventually getting a new slim can I still just put my HD in that one without reformatting/losing data?

I am most def out of warranty so I got nothing to lose by trying. 20-30 bucks for a heatgun and some tubes of goop is better than shelling out $150 to Sony for another refurb. Out of curiousity though, do you think Sony would still send me a 20 GB model or would they just send me a 60 GB since that seems to be what they probably have more of on hand?

[quote name='metrognome']Well two nights ago my OG 20GB YLOD'd on me while playing GOW Collection. It is a refurb that I got back from Sony about 1 year after launch (but obviously it was still a launch system) and it has run strong with no problems since then until this. I upgraded the HD to 250 GB at some point as well.

It is weird though I remembered hearing about this but also that its was mostly the 60 GB models. Still it seems there's nothing I can do but try this. [/quote]

Pretty much any PS3 before the slim is susceptible to YLOD though it was mostly on the 60GB model, the 80/40/20GB models are not immune.

[quote name='metrognome']As long as I remove my HD I should not lose any info except what is installed in the PS3 flash drive correct? Also if I end up eventually getting a new slim can I still just put my HD in that one without reformatting/losing data?[/quote]

Nope it doesn't work like that, if you put your old PS3 HDD to another PS3, that PS3 will Prompt you to format that hard drive. The only way to get your data out of that HDD is to get that PS3 working again thru reflow or hope that Sony fixes the same PS3 and send it back to you then you can do a DATA transfer by connecting your PS3's.

[quote name='metrognome']I am most def out of warranty so I got nothing to lose by trying. 20-30 bucks for a heatgun and some tubes of goop is better than shelling out $150 to Sony for another refurb. Out of curiousity though, do you think Sony would still send me a 20 GB model or would they just send me a 60 GB since that seems to be what they probably have more of on hand?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what sony would do, it depends on the real reason of YLOD, 9/10 a YLOD is fixable by reflow..the other times it could be a different reason. Shelling out $150 on Sony fixing your PS3 is almost waste of money. If they fix it, your system will YLOD again in a matter of days or weeks, maybe a couple of months..If they send a refurb is just another system that got a problem and was fixed by sony, same thing applies it is living on borrowed time.

Reflow it is then. Gotta order the Flux online so I'll have to wait til that gets here, then buy my heatgun.

I have been able to get it working for short bursts if/when I let it cool down so hopefully I can run a data backup in case I end up having to get a new one...

Thanks

bread's done
Back