PS3 Broken (lesson never turn ur PS3 on the back while running)

gamerpro4000

CAGiversary!
My PS3 (80gb BC bought in Dec 2008) Just Broke 2 days ago. I was playing Demons Souls and then the game crashed and a black screen came up. I turned off the ps3 the right way on the first time by going into stand by mode, but the game didn't load right again. As how i am an idiot. The 3 second off button didn't turn off the ps3. I got angry and impatient and turned of the ps3 on the back without going into stand by mode. I noticed a semi circle ring scratched onto my Demons souls CD. Now my PS3 has a hard time playing video games. There are times the game loads forever non stop and times where the ps3 doesn't see a disc inside it. The funny thing is i can still play the games when the ps3 is cooled down but when it starts heating up the Blu ray drive has a hard time reading the disc inside it. I guess the main cause of this whole problem was due to over heating, but then my ps3 would've shut down when it over heats.

Main point of the story, never touch the back switch on your ps3 period when the green light is on. There is a possibility that the hard drive might crash or your Blu-ray Drive gets ruined by ruining the lense and scratched against a data disc. Hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to go to stand by mode which i completely forgot even though I did read the manual like 2 years ago.

So what should i do now guys? I'm thinking of just trading the console into game stop for $100 and use that money to buy a ps3 slim. What do you guys think i should do? also, what would i need to bring with my ps3 to have game stop buy my console? Did anyone else encountered this problem before?

*note my ps3 never had any problems till now.

-Thanks spending your valuable time for reading this thread and giving me feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
My only advice would be to reformat the system and check it out then, but if not then you will be forced to trade it in to Gamescam, oh, I mean GameSTOP. Just like PC's, turning the PS3 off on the back is only a last resort.

yeah, i tried what J7 told me, it still has problems. The real problem is hardware, the Blu-Ray lens probably got scratched, that is why the semi circle scratch is on my demons souls cd.

-thanks for the help guys

you could try opening up your blu ray drive to see if theres something going on in there. theres some videos on yotube that show you how. i did it to get gow 3 out of my drive but then had to check out a video on how to reset your drive so it will take disks.

Either trade it to game stop... Or for 129 to 179 give it to sony and they'll send you either a sony factor refurbished PS3 slim (seriously thats as good as brand new) or for extra cash they'll replace it with your same model/maybe fix your current PS3. Personally I'd just get the slim and just go through sony. I'm sure in the end dealing with sony would be cheaper than trading in your ps3 and then buying a new one.

[quote name='Sk']Either trade it to game stop... Or for 129 to 179 give it to sony and they'll send you either a sony factor refurbished PS3 slim (seriously thats as good as brand new) or for extra cash they'll replace it with your same model/maybe fix your current PS3. Personally I'd just get the slim and just go through sony. I'm sure in the end dealing with sony would be cheaper than trading in your ps3 and then buying a new one.[/QUOTE]

How much does Sony charge? Strange that it would be 129-179.

[quote name='J7.']How much does Sony charge? Strange that it would be 129-179.[/QUOTE]

i thought it was 150 regardless of what was wrong with it.

how about buying the extended warranty from Sony NOW... and then saying it got broke a couple days later. Sony doesn't know that it got broke now... and I'm not sure if they check the system anyway.

that is a good idea too. But i traded in my ps3 to game stop. turns out i got 150 for my 80 gb and another $25 if i purchase a new ps3 slim. total of $175. with tax and everything. i got the slim for $150 exact.

Yes, in general, you don't want to reset your PS3 using the switch on the back of the console.

If your PS3 freezes (this happens occasionally due to game glitches), try to reboot using the PS button on the controller. If the PS button is not responding, hold down the power button on the PS3 (if you're worried, eject the game disc). That should shut down the PS3... Then you can power it on again.

Of course, if all fails, you will need to use the on/off switch on the back the PS3. Be warned, an improper shut down will result in data lost, which triggers an auto system diagnostic when the PS3 is turned on again.

In most cases, it's nothing you need to worry about, the freeze problems are result of game loading glitches or hdd issues (bad sectors what not).

I have the Gunmetal PS3 with upgraded 500gb hdd. From time to time, the console freezes on me (loading games or continue a save) and i remember there were two instances i had to manually reboot using the switch on the back.

I play all kind of games and most of the polished games never have freezing issues (Uncharted 2 and GoWIII, not once gave me problems, Uncharted 1 did freeze a few time). The 3rd party games are glitchy (ahem, Force Unleashed, Planet 51, etc.) and occasionally i had to restart a mission, but it's fairly rare for a hard reset.

When you say manually reboot using the switch on the back, you mean after you already shut it down on the front. Or are there situations where you cannot do that and have to use the back only?

Actually, the game demon's souls is the culprit in this case. the very same thing happened to my old ps3 and here's why..

being how demon's souls autosaves you would have had to had been very careful how you turn your game off.

the correct way being, exiting to the title screen.

like you, i also grew impatient at times, so i exited the game by pressing the PS button without first going to the title screen.

after this lame incident, my ps3 began freezing.. then.. wouldn't read games when inserted. then sometimes a disk would play for 4 minutes... then freeze.
if you notice, you can still play ps1 titles and movies in your ps3. but no blueray discs.

[quote name='Thomas96']how about buying the extended warranty from Sony NOW... and then saying it got broke a couple days later. Sony doesn't know that it got broke now... and I'm not sure if they check the system anyway.[/QUOTE]

^ preeety sure the extention is only while the unit is still under warranty

Let me assure you that the switch on the back of the PS3 is not the culprit in this case. If you had used the 3-second power button, it would have yielded the same result, as you probably turned the system off during it's 'autosaving' and that's the issue. You could try deleting your save data for that game to see if it clears up the trouble.

As for scratching your game, that's a bit odd. Did anything move the PS3 while the disc was spinning inside?

I find it doubtful that Demon's Souls destroys your ability to play Blurays if you don't go to the title screen every time you want to exit out of it. It sounds like a coincidence.

[quote name='iwarboY']Actually, the game demon's souls is the culprit in this case. the very same thing happened to my old ps3 and here's why..

being how demon's souls autosaves you would have had to had been very careful how you turn your game off.

the correct way being, exiting to the title screen.

like you, i also grew impatient at times, so i exited the game by pressing the PS button without first going to the title screen.

after this lame incident, my ps3 began freezing.. then.. wouldn't read games when inserted. then sometimes a disk would play for 4 minutes... then freeze.
if you notice, you can still play ps1 titles and movies in your ps3. but no blueray discs.[/QUOTE]

What your describing is a failed/failing blu ray laser that has nothing to do with Demon's Souls it's just coincidence it happened to you lol.

Just out of curiosity, the whole "never turn the system off via the back switch" doesn't ring true for the PS2 as well, right? I've always turned my PS2 off just by flipping the back switch, it's 8 years old now and hasn't had a problem. It's even sat in a dog fur covered floor for years while running. I only just learned you could hold the power button to make it go in standby by randomly trying it a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Methadon']Let me assure you that the switch on the back of the PS3 is not the culprit in this case. If you had used the 3-second power button, it would have yielded the same result, as you probably turned the system off during it's 'autosaving' and that's the issue. You could try deleting your save data for that game to see if it clears up the trouble.

As for scratching your game, that's a bit odd. Did anything move the PS3 while the disc was spinning inside?[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

bread's done
Back