PS3 Controller "lag" or "sticking" driving me NUTS!

reicaden

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I cant figure out how to fix it! and believe me, i have been trying....

Sometimes the controller will stop interacting with the PS3, so it'll only read my last sent "signal" for 3 to 4 seconds and sorta hang with that signal only.

For example... jumping ledges in ratchet and clank, i'll run to the edge, and jump but when i land, my guy will keep running forward, despite not pressing anything.

also happens to the left, to the right... any direction really, it'll just keep "going" that direction, as if i was still pressing the controller stick, but im NOT!

I've read about this before, but never founda fix, has one shown up yet? I've disabled my wifi even, in an attempt to fix it, but i live in an apt. building, so there are 3 to 4 other wifi's going on around me. :(

any way to fix this? seriously!? i MUST KNOW!

Uh, it seems like you just had the PS3 bluetooth de-synch. This is a common problem with 20GB/60GB SKUs using the SIXAXIS controller near other wireless devices (I believe the frequency used to communicate the PS3 console with the SIXAXIS interferes with other devices, causing a temporary disconnect). It's a common issue, so it's nothing to worry about.

It's not the controller lagging (unless you have some other issue). The only lagging that occurs with a PS3 controller (I really should say bluetooth) is when playing PS1 games (there's some input lag causing timing to be slightly off in music/dance games, Legend of Dragoon, Hot Shots Golf, etc.).

Read this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130437

[quote name='Lsgun1']This happens to me as well but only when playing Resistance for some reason.[/quote]

Same here. It probably affects certain games more than others.

I experience these problems as well, though it only happens to me maybe twice a month, so it isn't a major problem for me. It probably does get affected more often with certain games.

wow, i always wondered what was wrong, but the wireless explanation makes sense. I've got so many signals flying around my apartment I'm surprised it hasn't been even worse. It's hella annoying, though, particularly with Ninja Gaiden Sigma. Freezing up for 3 seconds during a serious fight is enough to pretty much end you.

Check your cell phones, speakers, wireless router, etc... make sure it's not too close to the PS3, controller, or between you and your PS3.

To explain the stuck button phenomenon, and why wireless interference would do that, you have to know how the wireless controller signal works.

Every time you press a button, the controller sends a signal to the console telling it that you have pressed that button, and often will keep sending a signal as long as the button is pressed, but not always as it can drain the battery.

When you let go of the button, it'll send a stop signal to the console. It's much easier to have the stop signal jammed by wireless interference than the Button Pressed signal since the stop is only sent once, while the button pressed signal could be sent many times a second while the button is depressed.

One common reason why freezes might occur during intense action sequences is that those sequences have a lot of audio noise, which means the speakers are blaring creating EM interference.

[quote name='mguiddy']I've heard this is better with the Dualshock 3. Anyone else hear that?[/quote]

Yeah this was a common problem with the Sixaxis, especially the earlier ones. I've since sold off both of my old Sixaxises and replaced them with 2 White Dualshock 3's. Haven't gotten a disconnect in the 4 months that I've been playing with them, so I would say Sony's fixed the problem with the Dualshocks.

By the way I used to get the Sixaxis disconnects every hour or so of gameplay.

[quote name='mguiddy']I've heard this is better with the Dualshock 3. Anyone else hear that?[/quote]
I've played through MGS3 and Half-Life on my PS3 using a DS3 and have not experienced any problems.

I bought a 60 gig in august of 07 and never had any of the bluetooth controller issues. I've got a wireless network, cordless phones, cell phones, wireless controllers for other systems. Can this problem be fixed by just buying a non launch window controller?

[quote name='Milkyman']I bought a 60 gig in august of 07 and never had any of the bluetooth controller issues. I've got a wireless network, cordless phones, cell phones, wireless controllers for other systems. Can this problem be fixed by just buying a non launch window controller?[/quote]
I got my 60 around the same time and I have this problem. Who knows how long the system was sitting in the store though.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Uh, it seems like you just had the PS3 bluetooth de-synch. This is a common problem with 20GB/60GB SKUs using the SIXAXIS controller near other wireless devices (I believe the frequency used to communicate the PS3 console with the SIXAXIS interferes with other devices, causing a temporary disconnect). It's a common issue, so it's nothing to worry about.

It's not the controller lagging (unless you have some other issue). The only lagging that occurs with a PS3 controller (I really should say bluetooth) is when playing PS1 games (there's some input lag causing timing to be slightly off in music/dance games, Legend of Dragoon, Hot Shots Golf, etc.).

Read this thread:
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130437[/QUOTE]

bingo! he hit it right on the money maker

welcome to last year

the best fix I've found is the dual shock 3 which seems to have a stronger connection.

the biggest problem is anything could be causing it (esp bad if you live in an apartment)

I have a 60GB and get this problem quite frequently.

But then again I play right next to my wireless laptop which feeds off a wireless router thats right next to the PS3.

;)

In games like Burnout I don't notice it, but I see this quite a bit when playing Oblivion, especially if I'm trying to line up a shot from my bow. I'll try to slowly move the cursor over my potential kill and it'll either creep slowly or just stop moving, then I'll need to push harder which moves it too far, then I need to slowly move the other way which sometimes stops .... it gets annoying but the game is SOOOOOOOO worth it.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']In games like Burnout I don't notice it, but I see this quite a bit when playing Oblivion, especially if I'm trying to line up a shot from my bow. I'll try to slowly move the cursor over my potential kill and it'll either creep slowly or just stop moving, then I'll need to push harder which moves it too far, then I need to slowly move the other way which sometimes stops .... it gets annoying but the game is SOOOOOOOO worth it.[/QUOTE]

oh god now I want to play Oblivion.. that game takes too much of my time... the first night I played, I started around 8pm, and didn't finish until about 3am, mind you, I'm just walking around not doing any quests - too much just exploring... to me, its like playing an atari game with no ending. I know there's an ending, but I don't think I'll ever get to it.

[quote name='Thomas96']oh god now I want to play Oblivion.. that game takes too much of my time... the first night I played, I started around 8pm, and didn't finish until about 3am, mind you, I'm just walking around not doing any quests - too much just exploring... to me, its like playing an atari game with no ending. I know there's an ending, but I don't think I'll ever get to it.[/quote]
Not to get off topic, but I'm into over 60 hours and I think I've MAYBE touched 1/4 of the game.

Oblivion is a game for people who hate contemporary RPGs but love FPSs.

Edit: And I can't wait to get a DS3 when it comes out.

Just in case anyone needs to know... when playing PS2 games on a PS3 (doesn't matter the version), there is ALWAYS input lag, and there is no way to get rid of it.

:(

This explains why I went from having perfect matches in bust a groove on ps1/2 to barely making it through a match when I play it on ps3. :D Some lucky sonofa made out good on this 'phenomenon" since I just traded it for cheap.

I'm sure it's nothing compared to Wavebird cutouts though.

I tried to play Hot Shots Golf Fore last night with my new DS3. Lag made it damn near impossible. Thought it might be the controller until I tried playing DMC4 and it worked flawlessly.

[quote name='Hockey37']I tried to play Hot Shots Golf Fore last night with my new DS3. Lag made it damn near impossible. Thought it might be the controller until I tried playing DMC4 and it worked flawlessly.[/QUOTE]BC games (especially when played on an HDTV) experience some lag. Like I said, PS1 games definitely lag (partially due to LCDs, but mostly due to bluetooth connection) when playing a game that requires precise timing. PS2 has some also, but not as severe as PS1 (also add in some lag from an HDTV due to refresh rate or something).

Like I said, ALL PS2 games and PS1 games when being played on a PS3 have input lag. Doesn't matter what the game is. It's not going to respond as it was meant to.

This has been thoroughly tested since the PS3 came out. Of course you won't notice it for some games, but like many said, if you play a game that requires precision and timing, you'll more than likely notice it.

Doesn't matter if you play on CRT or LCD or whatever... It's there.

You guys hav given me hope. So the new Dualshocks dont have this problem? I may need to get one then... my PS3 is launch-class, so I dont doubt it came with problems, later resolved. I've tried to fix it with everything on my end. I turned off my wifi router, and turned off my cellphone... disconnected my 360 entirely (just incase), and it still happens... especially in FF12 and Ratchet and clank.

If the DS3's are not having these isues though, it may be time to "upgrade". I'll wait till they get to america though, I'm in no rush at the moment (not currently playing any PS3 games religiously).

The de- syncing issue is a fucking pain in the ass. I'll be glad when I get a DS3 so it limits this down even more. Nothing is more of a pain in the ass when you are right next to frosts in DMC4 on DMD mode, and Nero decides to keep running around in a fucking circle until they blast him 4-5 hits and I'm dead.

AWESOME!

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']
Oblivion is a game for people who hate contemporary RPGs but love FPSs.
[/QUOTE]

False, Oblivion is for fans of Arena since the old PC days of gaming.

I wouldn't say the DS3 completely solves the problem, but Desyncing rarely happens to me anymore

The newer SIXAXIS models and DS3s don't have this problem. Even with a 20/60 GB.

I've tested this thoroughly on my 60/40/80.

my SA does it once in a blue moon and my computer (which functions off wi-fi) is next to it. try chaning the fequency of the other items using wireless signals

[quote name='MarkMan']The newer SIXAXIS models and DS3s don't have this problem. Even with a 20/60 GB.

I've tested this thoroughly on my 60/40/80.[/QUOTE]

you have three ps3s?

bread's done
Back