PS3 Deals: what to expect?

darkness12

CAG Veteran
I'm thinking about getting a PS3 soon and I really don't wanna buy something and regret it when a deal comes out.

Right now I really do have my heart set on getting a PS3 that has backward compatibility. Cus of this, I've been checking out eBay and it seems to get what I want, it's gonna be about $250-300 used. This concerns me because I can get a new PS3 for about that price if i just didn't mind the backwards compatibility.

I know any store deals aren't going to include the old PS3's but if the price is right I might jump on it.

Am i gonna have to wait till Black Friday for a deal, + what should I expect?

you can't expect retailers to have BF deals on items that aren't even being sold anymore...but if you are ok with a 120gb slim, BB has a BF bundle with one + ratchet and clank a crack in time and LittleBigPlanet GOTY for $299.99

[quote name='rpnguyen']you can't expect retailers to have BF deals on items that aren't even being sold anymore...but if you are ok with a 120gb slim, BB has a BF bundle with one + ratchet and clank a crack in time and LittleBigPlanet GOTY for $299.99[/QUOTE]

damn i had other video games in mind. id prefer a lower price w/o the video games but i doubt that's gonna happen.

i think i might just go with eBay.

The 60GB PS3 has given many people issues with what's called the Yellow Light of Death (the PS3's version of RRoD). It seems to be fairly random, but is generally caused by overheating.

So, I'd be careful about ordering one used, as it may be a system that was affected by this and then was repaired by the seller to be sold. The fix method does fix the system, but it won't last beyond a few months before occurring again.
Sony will charge $150 to fix or replace those systems, since they are out of warranty now.

Just a word of caution. Personally, I'd go with the Best Buy deal and then sell the games to offset the cost of the system. That's what I'll be doing, anyway (after the above scenario happened to me).

I don't see any PS3 deals coming. Best Buy has the best offer right now on Black Friday. You can always get the games, trade them in or sell them online and that would save you some cash. I know that Best Buy has a $20 off coupon if you buy online and pay though Paypal.

But other than that, I don't think you are going to see much since the Slim just dropped price not too long ago and there is a perceived "Value" in the current price because of that drop. They are selling much more and there is no incentive on a deal for the retailers since it's selling well.

It's still a little early yet so we may see some deals from Amazon or Wal-Mart although I wouldn't depend on it. It's pure speculation at this point.

Personally I'm hoping Dell comes through with the 20% off coupons again next spring.

[quote name='rpnguyen']you can't expect retailers to have BF deals on items that aren't even being sold anymore...but if you are ok with a 120gb slim, BB has a BF bundle with one + ratchet and clank a crack in time and LittleBigPlanet GOTY for $299.99[/QUOTE]

Do you have a link? Can't find this. I want!

Looks like were going to see just a $299 system with bundled stuff, a game and controller bundle would be nice to see though or a gift card.

[quote name='KMunley']Do you have a link? Can't find this. I want![/QUOTE]

it's not a definite confirmation...but here is the leaked scan that is very likely to be real

bestbuy-page-1.jpg

[quote name='Chambered']The 60GB PS3 has given many people issues with what's called the Yellow Light of Death (the PS3's version of RRoD). It seems to be fairly random, but is generally caused by overheating.

So, I'd be careful about ordering one used, as it may be a system that was affected by this and then was repaired by the seller to be sold. The fix method does fix the system, but it won't last beyond a few months before occurring again.
Sony will charge $150 to fix or replace those systems, since they are out of warranty now.

Just a word of caution. Personally, I'd go with the Best Buy deal and then sell the games to offset the cost of the system. That's what I'll be doing, anyway (after the above scenario happened to me).[/QUOTE]

actually i was interested in the 80gb PS3 that has the backwards compatibility, model CECHE01.

do those have the same problems as well?

oh and i just learned how easy it is to upgrade the memory of a ps3.

would it be better to buy a 20gb PS3 (CECHB01) that also has backward compatibility and then just upgrade the memory (since harddrives are pretty cheap nowadays, i have 1 TB in my desktop) or do the 20gb's have the YLOD as you mentioned?

^^ as you guys mentioned, buy the 299 w/ 2 games deal and sell the games, i will think about this. right now i really feel like getting a backwards compatible ps3 means a lot, and is extra bang for my buck. i have a 360 right now and one of the reasons im considering selling it is because my old ps2 that i recently found is broken so a ps3 w/ backwards compat would be awesome.

[quote name='rpnguyen']it's not a definite confirmation...but here is the leaked scan that is very likely to be real

bestbuy-page-1.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much. Hopefully its real!

[quote name='darkness12']actually i was interested in the 80gb PS3 that has the backwards compatibility, model CECHE01.

would it be better to buy a 20gb PS3 (CECHB01) that also has backward compatibility and then just upgrade the memory (since harddrives are pretty cheap nowadays, i have 1 TB in my desktop) or do the 20gb's have the YLOD as you mentioned?

^^ as you guys mentioned, buy the 299 w/ 2 games deal and sell the games, i will think about this. right now i really feel like getting a backwards compatible ps3 means a lot, and is extra bang for my buck. i have a 360 right now and one of the reasons im considering selling it is because my old ps2 that i recently found is broken so a ps3 w/ backwards compat would be awesome.[/QUOTE]

bump

[quote name='reltoolman']man that is sad... no deal, I'm thinking about opening a credit card to get some money off my first purchase[/QUOTE]

Oh, that's still going on? I will definitely look into this to reduce the cost of a PS3.

walmart is going to have a crazy PS3 bundle too. I forgot where the scan was (it was someone from Neogaf who posted it). It's basically PS3 + Infamous + Batman: AA + The Darknight Blu-ray for ONLY $299.

If I were you, I'd keep a lookout for this deal.

[quote name='darkness12']actually i was interested in the 80gb PS3 that has the backwards compatibility, model CECHE01.

[/QUOTE]

Any PS3 can get the YLOD, but it seems that the 60GB (CECHAxx)version is the worst offender. The YLOD is just a 'general system error,' which is why Sony has denied that it's a big deal. It could be from any number of problems with a PS3. It just happens that, unofficially, people have noticed that roughly 80-90% of all YLOD issues stem from over heating.

The 20GB system uses PS2 hardware inside the PS3 to run PS2 games, so it should be fully compatible with any PS2 games. The 80GB (CECHCxx) uses partial software emulation for PS2, which, if I recall, isn't 100% compatible with 100% of all PS2 games. Might check and see if your particular games work. They probably will, but who knows.
http://www.ps3comp.com/

But, to be honest, I'd say just buy a new slim PS2 for $99 and then get a new model of PS3 for $299. If you buy a used old model of PS3, and if it does break down at some point, Sony will charge your $150 to fix it. And then they only guarantee their replacement / fix for 3 months. If that happens, you'd have been better off just buying a PS2 + PS3 (99 + 299 = 400) vs ($150-300 for the 20GB PS3 + $150 repairs = $300-450). Not sure on the going rate of the older PS3s. Ebay is showing around $200-300 for the used systems, because they're considered "rare" these days.

I was originally in the same boat, wanting to have the PS2 compatibility because my PS2 was dying, but then after about a year of having the 60GB, I realized, I've only played ONE PS2 game in all that time, and I didn't even get around to finishing it! There are a lot of really great PS3 games to keep you occupied, you may find out yourself that you won't play a lot of PS2 once you have them! So, after my 60GB died, I sold it to someone who said he could fix it and then used the $130 he gave me for it to buy a 120GB slim.

[quote name='perdition(troy']so would best buy price match a "door buster"

edit: as in price match my slim i got a week ago and give me the 2 free games. its unopened.[/QUOTE]

No, you would have to return it before black friday and repurchase it. Any return over $250 will be sent as a check.

[quote name='caliblue15']No, you would have to return it before black friday and repurchase it. Any return over $250 will be sent as a check.[/QUOTE]

I just returned a PS3 a couple of days ago and was told that it would be credited back to my debit card account after about 2 days.

bread's done
Back