PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

Shirt and shoes. Wifebeater and Crocs now legal.

You also need 3 forms of identification. But don't give your SSN or show your birth certificate. You shouldn't volunteer that information to just anybody. You can legally use your Dave & Buster's card and your pet's collar tag as valid IDs.

Transportation - most important factor when going to purchase a PS3.

what you DON"T need is some 360 fanboy going with you trying to talk you out of your decision, or heckling you telling you that the PS3 isn't a good system.

... what?

If you're paying cash, then no. If you're using a card, bring picture ID. As someone else said, bring a bodybuilder with you to help lift the thing.

I think that the new Dualshocks are able to produce varying intensities with the vibration. Although I don't think I ever noticed that one side was stronger than the other. I'd bring it back just in case, it is a $50+ controller.

YAY!! I had my first freeze last night while playing GTA IV online. I had to shut down via the reset button on the front, it beeped three times, then I restarted it.

Are these sort of things common on the PS3? Seriously? If so, then this is highly annoying.

Not 100% sure about dual shock 3's but traditionally these controllers have a slow spinning big weight in one side, and a small fast spinning weight in the other side. This allows a game to produce varying "shakes" from a slow-rumble to a fast vibration.
~S

Bring willpower to not get talked into buying the $100 monster HDMI cable for it.

Salesman will make 20x more commission off that cable than the ps3. In fact I bet there is about $2 commision off the ps3, and $14 commission off the cable. I could be wrong though it has been 5 years, since I have done retail.

~S

If you were/are a XBox fanboy, bring a related Sony product to coax it out of hiding. I've seen it work with PSP's, PS2's, even PSX's. Don't bother with game discs, that won't work unless you bring a truckload.
As mentioned above, don't bring any 360 fanboy friends with you or you may be risking life and limb. Ever seen the part in Monty Python's Holy Grail with the rabbit? Same shit.

More seriously, having an HD-enabled TV is strongly recommended (may also be purchased in-store), and an HDMI cable to go with it. It you happen to have some PS2 component cables lying around, you can save some money and use those, they'll give you better picture quality than the composite crap included in the box.

not sure about before but after you buy it you will need lots of patience to deal with all of the updating , installing, and crashing of the system. Everyday you turn iton theres a new update, so don't expect to turn the system on and jump right into your games.

[quote name='Paco']you'll need MUSCLES. The thing is very heavy and even Arnold has trouble lifting it.[/quote]I had them triple bag my PS3 when I got it and carried it out like a baby.

I don't know what's worse. That OP posted this question or that he got impatient when no one answered within seven minutes. It was a quarter to four in the morning. Even the West Coast Kids were hitting the sack.

Take a gun in case someone robs you of all that cash on the way in to the store, or if you have problems with the clerk.

[quote name='NegativeZero']not sure about before but after you buy it you will need lots of patience to deal with all of the updating , installing, and crashing of the system. Everyday you turn iton theres a new update, so don't expect to turn the system on and jump right into your games.[/quote]

Everyone in this thread who owns a PS3 may step forward now... O what's that, you're still in the back of the room?

I'd find a copy of warhawk to go with it.

[quote name='D_Icon']When I had my PS3 on DSL the updates took a while, but now with Comcast Cable internet the downloads are faster.[/QUOTE]

I just went the other way. Comcast tried to jack up my rates $15/month, so I switched to Verizon's cheapest tier of service. I'm *REALLY* glad I made the switch.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']My one buddies family is on Comcast's cable internet, but it still took over 10 minutes PER update and they still had problems when trying to connect to PSN. Of course, they were using a wireless signal as opposed to a wired one.[/quote]

I'd guess the PSN thing is Wifi related, or just some problem with the network between him/her and Sony.

Those firmware updates must be HUGE though. I wonder how much flash the PS3 has to store them? It's got to be a decent chunk. I sort of recall the 360 having 128MB to store it? Not sure, I may just be making that number up.

My buddy asked me why the hell they need so much info just to register for PSN as well, which I can kind of agree to somewhat, though I don't have a problem giving out that info but I guess he did.

Was it any more than Microsoft asked for? I remember it being about the same, though it's been a while since I registered for Live.

I'm not crazy about that either, although it's free, and Sony's not like some bizarre fly by not company or something, so I put up with it. (Plus I'd want to anyway if I ever "buy" something from that store.)

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']YAY!! I had my first freeze last night while playing GTA IV online. I had to shut down via the reset button on the front, it beeped three times, then I restarted it.

Are these sort of things common on the PS3? Seriously? If so, then this is highly annoying.[/QUOTE]

So far I've had one crash, in Oblivion (which I think I had on the 360 version too). So...for me so far it's as stable as anything. I've had the most crashes on the GBA and DS. Which I find odd, because you'd think they should have the least since the technology is so far behind the curve, and the code would be the simplest.

I've had one crash on my PSP (one game shuts down the system at a specific point during a training mission EVERY single time in the same location at the exact same instant, but otherwise the game runs fine. I have no idea how these companies miss this type of stuff).

Had a bunch of crashes on my 360 too...but not my current 360 (except for Oblivion). So it's hard to know if that's software or hardware or what. Plus I'd think this firmware that gets updated all the time on these new consoles could break something if they're not careful.

Bring catnip. Make clicking noises with your tongue until it comes closer. Pet it's handle gently until you hear it purr. Lift it, let it be scanned while you continue to pet it. I also recommend a carrier for the ride home. Don't be angry if it's nervous and pees on you. Just treat it lovingly and you'll be just fine.

Get the following:

• HDTV
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • HDMI cable from monoprice.com

And you'll be good.

[quote name='Methadon']Get the following:

• HDTV
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (Rental copy)
  • Warhawk
  • Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
  • HDMI cable from monoprice.com
  • Bluetooth Blu-Ray remote
And you'll be good.[/quote]

Fixed.

[quote name='keithp']Take a gun in case someone robs you of all that cash on the way in to the store, or if you have problems with the clerk.[/quote]

and with how heavy it is, you'll have a lot of time to do some good aiming so you won't hit your precious PS3.

Dude your buying a game system, not signing a lease for a car or anything. Are you using someone elses credit card? If you are doing things legally you should be good kiddo.

[quote name='funnyshark']Wow some of you are nice :whistle2:|

Anyway I can just get the thing and leave? Or do I have to sign stuff?[/quote]

Only need to sign over your soul, otherwise you're fine. That one doesn't require a physical signature though, it's just understood.

You'll need mad ninja skills to fight off the temptation to buy more than you need. You'll also need 2 forms of ID to sign the contract to get it on the PSN.

J/K, it's no different than going and buying a DVD; it's just a $400 DVD that plays games, connects to the Internet, and sucks up your free time.

[quote name='funnyshark']Wow some of you are nice :whistle2:|

Anyway I can just get the thing and leave? Or do I have to sign stuff?[/quote]

How old are you? Perhaps a Wii might suit you better. ;)

[quote name='DarkSageRK']How old are you? Perhaps a Wii might suit you better. ;)[/quote]

I was thinking more along the lines of a VTech. I hope I'm not the only one who knows what those things are.

[quote name='InFlames215']I was thinking more along the lines of a VTech. I hope I'm not the only one who knows what those things are.[/quote]

I've got one hooked up to my 120" 1080p projection. SpongeBob and Disney Princesses look AWESOME in high def.

[quote name='funnyshark']So I don't have to be older than 18 to buy one? Cause im 15[/quote]

They don't make 'em like they used to. ;_;

I think you should bring a parent 'cause if you even have to ask the question in the OP you'll probably believe the store when they tell you that you need a warranty and an accessory bundle and all that other junk.

Im just going to get the System, no warranty NOTHING BUT THE SYSTEM AND A GAME so please just answer if I have to be 18 or not to buy a ps3 :/

[quote name='depascal22']I don't know what's worse. That OP posted this question or that he got impatient when no one answered within seven minutes. It was a quarter to four in the morning. Even the West Coast Kids were hitting the sack.[/quote]

:D

Bring enough money to cover taxes too (if you have sales tax in your state that is).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm actually going to shell out for about 50-100 feet of ethernet cable from NewEgg and just wire up my connection so I won't have the wireless signal dropping out and booting me off PSN.[/quote]

Get a network cable from monoprice.com. They will be cheaper, and better quality than newegg's cheaper versions (And shipping on the newegg ones is about 9 bucks, where this can be had for about 16 total shipped (To my area, anyway).

I probably have around 50 feet of Ethernet between my DSL modem and my PC/PS3 too :)

I *LOVE* Ethernet. True plug and play, and it always just works.
I sometimes wonder how many gigabytes I've transferred over my little home network. Yes, I wonder about esoteric things sometimes :)

[quote name='depascal22']I don't know what's worse. That OP posted this question or that he got impatient when no one answered within seven minutes. It was a quarter to four in the morning. Even the West Coast Kids were hitting the sack.[/quote]
http://www.theonion.com/content/news/local_idiot_to_post_comment_on

I'm not calling the OP an idiot, but "young minded" may be more fitting. It's funny to see the similarities between this post and the "story" in the link.

[quote name='freakyzeeky']Whatever you do... DON'T buy a PS3 if you're going to put it up on Craigslist a week later. ;)[/quote]

I got mine on Craigslist but picked it up the same day I called. No tax is so awesome.

[quote name='lokizz']air conditioning or alot of fans because those sumbitches make alot of heat.[/quote]
True dat, the nice thing is that they can cook a 15lb turkey in less than 45 minutes.

bread's done
Back