PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

Mine are slow as all hell too. It took me (I think) 2 hours to download Superstar Dust HD. It took me close to an hour to download the latest Warhawk update.

I've never had any problems with download speeds. I would estimate that my 360 and my PS3 download on the same speed.

It took me less than 10 minutes to download and install the newest Warhawk update.

Now my Wii on the other hand.....ugh.....:cold:

the arguement that its acceptable to be slower since xbl is a pay service is false. xbl silver downloads much faster and is in fact free as well.
though i know what youre gettign at.

I download at about 1MB/sec from the PStore. Check this out, and you'll be good in no time:

[quote name='Methadon']Signout problems and slow transfers are signs of a port forwarding problem. Often uPnP doesn't automatically take care of everything, it just allows the connection to have an easier time being made. For an optimum PSN experience, you really want to assign a static IP and set up port forwarding. You can take care of this in 5-10 minutes by doing the following:

Log into your router, and first assign a static IP to your PS3. Your network will most likely assign everything "192.168.1.X" where X is the number unique to a device. Your router should say what the range of the value is. We'll come back to this.

Next, open a command prompt (xp/vista: start->run->cmd), and type
Code:
ipconfig
Open a new browser window and type 'http://X.X.X.X', where the X's are the numbers you got by 'Default Gateway' in 'ipconfig'. Under your 'basic setup' stuff, you should see the starting IP address for your network. Go ahead an choose a random number for your PS3 based off that.

Now goto your PS3 and edit your connection settings. Under IP, choose 'Manual', and enter your IP's prefix (the first 3 sets of numbers), and the number you chose for your PS3. For this example, let's say 134 is the value, so your IP would read:
Code:
Enter the values for 'Subnet Mask' and 'Default Gateway' that you got from 'ipconfig' in the PS3's network screen. You probably will have 2 or 3 DNS numbers provided from your router's 'status' page, which is where you get those values from.

Next, go back to your router's page and under port forwarding, open the following:
Code:
10070-10080 TCP
80-80           TCP
50000-50000 UDP
6000-7000     UDP
10070-10080 UDP
Save everything and power cycle both the router and the PS3. You should be ready to go. Open your PS3's browser and goto speedtest.net or something and see how your speeds check out.

You may also want to set a WEP or WPA2 password if you're using wireless, to ensure nobody else is jacking your bandwidth.[/quote]

I must be lucky. I get faster speeds on my PS3 than I do on my PC. I'm using a wired connection. I get around 1.5-2MB/s I'd say.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I've never had any problems with download speeds. I would estimate that my 360 and my PS3 download on the same speed.

It took me less than 10 minutes to download and install the newest Warhawk update.

Now my Wii on the other hand.....ugh.....:cold:[/quote]
This is the same for me, as well.

[quote name='Methadon']I download at about 1MB/sec from the PStore. Check this out, and you'll be good in no time:[/QUOTE]That's about what I get also. Downloads aren't that bad for me. I opened extra ports anyway and it goes a tad faster, but about what it should.

[quote name='Corvin']For me:

Burnout Paradise Demo:
XBLA: 15 minutes
PSN: 3 hours

Both are wired, and both were during non-peak hours.[/QUOTE]Try opening ports on your router like Methadon and compare again. That might be your problem (PSN/PS3 is very picky when it comes to net settings).

Ok..im still new to the PS3 but something is bothering me. You can't background download on the PS3 with the system off (like Xbox), which we all know. The thing that bothers me is that while the PS3 is off I can turn it on via the internet on my PSP meaning the PS3 still is accessing/has access/whatever to the internet through PSN some sort of way. Why, then, can't you background download with the system off?

/rant

This should be in the FAQ thread. PS3 has never had this and probably never will (partially because of Sony's software experience, how PS3 already somewhat has an OS memory footprint issue, which explains why various features will not get added for a while, and I expect this to be WAY down the list on priority). However, if you download something on PS3, it will stop in the EXACT same position as it was when you turned off the PS3 (unlike the 360 in my case where it goes back a few percent). IMO, people should have researched this before hand (I've known this way before I got my PS3, and actually never use the feature on 360).

Sony's idea of downloading away from your PS3 is using remote play with the PSP to turn on your PS3 (while you are away), browse the PS Store, download something, and then turn on your PS3 through the PSP. It uses some wake up LAN system actually that can trigger the PS3 power on (which is a completely different system than what the 360 uses).

A lot of it has to do with PS3 doesn't run in lower power mode while downloading and does not really detect when a download was finished to trigger the console to power off.

Thanks for the replies, everyone -- thanks especially to Methadon for the port information.

However, I have found the problem: the ps3's wireless interface sucks balls. Observe:

PS3 (wireless, before port changes): 760 kb/s @ speedtest.net
My laptop (wireless): 2563 kb/s
PS3 (wireless, after port changes): 683 kb/s
PS3 (after resorting to ethernet cable): 2574 kb/s

Guess i just have to re-rig my network setup so I can run a wire to this thing. Sucks that I can't use wireless. Oh well, at least it's fast now!

Come to think of it, I'm using my 360's wireless dongle... which plugs into the ethernet port. I bet if I put a wireless bridge to the ps3's ethernet (instead of using its internal wireless), it would probably be ok. Have to try that sometime... anyway, thanks for all the posts.

[quote name='paz9x']the arguement that its acceptable to be slower since xbl is a pay service is false. xbl silver downloads much faster and is in fact free as well.
though i know what youre gettign at.[/quote]
The point is even though XBL Silver members aren't paying, they are still using the same servers/bandwidth that all the XBL Gold members are paying for.

[quote name='catapult37']Thanks for the replies, everyone -- thanks especially to Methadon for the port information.

However, I have found the problem: the ps3's wireless interface sucks balls. Observe:

PS3 (wireless, before port changes): 760 kb/s @ speedtest.net
My laptop (wireless): 2563 kb/s
PS3 (wireless, after port changes): 683 kb/s
PS3 (after resorting to ethernet cable): 2574 kb/s

Guess i just have to re-rig my network setup so I can run a wire to this thing. Sucks that I can't use wireless. Oh well, at least it's fast now!

Come to think of it, I'm using my 360's wireless dongle... which plugs into the ethernet port. I bet if I put a wireless bridge to the ps3's ethernet (instead of using its internal wireless), it would probably be ok. Have to try that sometime... anyway, thanks for all the posts.[/QUOTE]The wireless isn't that great, since they did use a cheaper wireless (to keep cost down)? Which SKU do you own? I thought I remember hearing the 40GB/new 80GB getting improved wireless (that was 2X range or something), but I'm not sure.
[quote name='paz9x']the arguement that its acceptable to be slower since xbl is a pay service is false. xbl silver downloads much faster and is in fact free as well.
though i know what youre gettign at.[/QUOTE]Like mguiddy said, MS is STILL receiving some funding from XBL, while Sony isn't getting it. XBL Gold and Silver members may be on the same server, but unless an XBL game shares servers with the PC (like Shadowrun and Lost Planet Colonies), you cannot play multi-player with it (unlike PS3 where you can play multi-player for any game for free).

I'm tempted to try using these things called Powerline Ethernet Adapters, which plug into the wall power outlets and have the ethernet cable plug into them to run my high speed upstairs without having to string up the 100 feet of cable I bought pretty cheap.

Of course, I should also mention that I don't have a drill right handy to be able to make a larger hole in the floor in my room to run said cable upstairs, so the powerline adapters seem like a godsend. Now if I can only find a local WalMart with them IN STOCK that I can buy them directly from.

... and actually never use the feature on 360
This is a great feature. I would never want to do any downloading during online matches so after a night of CoD4/Halo 3 on the 360 I will simply pick five or six items to download when I am done gaming, shut off the machine, and then go to bed. I would use it the same way on my PS3 if it ever gets this feature.

[quote name='Zyzomys']This is a great feature. I would never want to do any downloading during online matches so after a night of CoD4/Halo 3 on the 360 I will simply pick five or six items to download when I am done gaming, shut off the machine, and then go to bed. I would use it the same way on my PS3 if it ever gets this feature.[/quote]

exactly..its the only way i download stuff on my 360

[quote name='aeauvian']Doesnt PayPal charge a fee for virtual CCs? I don't have a credit card, just a debit card, so I can't get one through my bank :cry:[/quote]

Nope, not for me at least when using funds already in my paypal account.

I would still rather use a Sony prepaid PSN card, but they seem to be in no rush in getting those distributed.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']The wireless isn't that great, since they did use a cheaper wireless (to keep cost down)? Which SKU do you own? I thought I remember hearing the 40GB/new 80GB getting improved wireless (that was 2X range or something), but I'm not sure.
[/quote]

This is the brand-new shiny 80GB model with the Dual Shock packed in, so I guess they didn't make any upgrades there... oh well, at least I'm downloading faster now. I still think it's silly that after all this, I still have to wait 5 minutes for demos to install, but I'll live. :)

It seems to depend on the time of day, usually my wireless downloads are pretty fast, but last night took FOREVER to get a couple of Rock Band songs.

With the new models coming out and it being a long weekend, the servers are probably just being slammed...

Does anyone know if a DS3 controller can be recharged with a generic USB cable (Male A to Male B mini) or is it necessary to buy a USB cable that specifically says that it is PS3 DS3 compatible? The generic cables obviously cost less but I've also learned that some devices don't work with generic USB cables -> can't charge Motorola RAZR with a generic USB cable.

[quote name='arctic00']Does anyone know if a DS3 controller can be recharged with a generic USB cable (Male A to Male B mini) or is it necessary to buy a USB cable that specifically says that it is PS3 DS3 compatible? The generic cables obviously cost less but I've also learned that some devices don't work with generic USB cables -> can't charge Motorola RAZR with a generic USB cable.[/quote]
I've done that before...

The feature for downloading while playing offline games and downloading while turned off is possible on the PS3. However, the developers have to have these features in the SDK for them to make use of it properly.

The xbox doesn't actually turn off fully when you set it to download, it just stays on in a low power mode until the downloads are complete. This would be easy to to include, but I suspect some poor programming of the PS3 OS and hardware interface means they have some issues to work out before it gets implemented.

The same goes for downloading while playing offline games. The PS3 can already download while playing PSN games that are run from the HD. However it will not download things while playing bluray based games. This is because there is currently no part of the SDK where the developers of such games can hand over some memory and processor power to the downloading system of the XMB, not to mention to way to tell the XMB that the game being played is currently offline, and thus it's okay to download. The 360 does have this feature, where as you play games downloads will still continue, but once you use any online features the downloads will stop.

[quote name='Malik112099']Ok..im still new to the PS3 but something is bothering me. You can't background download on the PS3 with the system off (like Xbox), which we all know. The thing that bothers me is that while the PS3 is off I can turn it on via the internet on my PSP meaning the PS3 still is accessing/has access/whatever to the internet through PSN some sort of way. Why, then, can't you background download with the system off?

/rant[/QUOTE]

This feature is not important if the 360 already does it . ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The PSN has always been quirky, some days it is fast other days its just not worth bothering. Just like the old EQ servers years ago, patches would take hours to download. You would think after 10yrs they would get someone there that knows whats going on.

I have the fastest Cable internet in the whole country and it still goes pretty slow (but not that slow). It is significantly slower than the 360.

I can't get the ipconfig screen to actually stay up on the screen so I can jot down the info I need to fix any disconnects I've been having by doing what you said to do, Methadon. The screen comes up for a second at most, then disappears.

Ahhhh well....I'll figure this out, I'm sure.

[quote name='Vanigan']The same goes for downloading while playing offline games. The PS3 can already download while playing PSN games that are run from the HD. However it will not download things while playing bluray based games. This is because there is currently no part of the SDK where the developers of such games can hand over some memory and processor power to the downloading system of the XMB, not to mention to way to tell the XMB that the game being played is currently offline, and thus it's okay to download. The 360 does have this feature, where as you play games downloads will still continue, but once you use any online features the downloads will stop.[/quote]
Yes, it can continue downloading stuff while you play Blu-ray games. It's been around since long before in-game XMB, maybe as early as the fall, but I would say the spring's the earliest I can recall seeing the pop-up that something I've downloaded is done while playing a game.

I just made a PS3 ID and linked it to my Underground account. But i dont have a PS3 yet. Is there a way i can update the avatar or slogan through their website?

If you find out, let me know. I've had my tag since nearly the day they started it and it has never updated once. The tag you see with my name hasn't been like that since June or July. :lol:

Did you update it on the site, Mak? Just click on your PSN card, then click Update Portable ID on the Sony page and it'll update the quote. I don't know why it doesn't update automatically, but you have to do it manually for now.

Sorry, I've got kind of a noob question, but I just got a PS3 yesterday, the charging cable is way too short for where I'm going to place it. Is there any generally reccomended cheap solution? Thanks.

If by charging cable, you mean 'standard USB to USB mini cable' that is used to recharge the controllers, you can simply use a USB cable extender. Monoprice, monoprice, Monoprice. Or your local electronics store.

Man, I think I'm screwed. Just had the PS3 shut down on me after I queued up the downloads from the PSN store update. So I got the red flashing light, turned the system off and back on and it kept freezing at the login screen. Tried it again and it froze after loading the XMB. The next time I turned it on it just sat there and gave me this message:

"Cannot Start. The correct Hard Drive was not found"

Anyone encounter this? The sony forums have not been much help.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long is the average battery life per charge for the SixAxis and DualShock 3? I ask because I swear the DS 3 wears down in like 3 days, compared with over 2 weeks with the SixAxis.

My fully recharged battery lasts about a week and a half to two weeks depending on how often I'm playing.

3 days is way too short, I'm using a DS3 as well.

How long are you actually using it per session though? I ask because sometimes I find myself playing using it for over 6 hours per shot. So, maybe that's it?

Mind you, I do sometimes NOT play the system for 2-3 days, but I shut down the controller from the menu before manually shutting down the PS3 by the power button.

I had zero problems with my SixAxis running for a week or two on a single charge, but the DS 3 just seems to need charging every maybe 3-4 days, but as I said that's with 5-6 hours per gaming session most times.

Ok I have had the MGS4 bundle since the day it came out.
I try not to leave the ps3 on to long but have had a few 4-5 hour benders and am getting paranoid. It seems to happen more often when I am online but I here 1 or 2 loud clicks almost everytime my ps3 gets turned on now. It happens after it has been on for a few minutes and it doesn't seem like a normal noise. I can here it loud and clear over the rocket fan and don't remember hearing this noise until I started playing gta 4 online 3 weeks ago.
My psp slim also had trouble reading hot shots open tee 2 a couple of times. Images of my dead phat ps2 are running in my head.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I play my PS3 constantly and the DS3 runs for over 1 week (usually up to two weeks).[/quote]

I've noticed it drains considerably less power when you play games without rumble support. I assume you can also simply turn the rumble off for the same level of consumption.

My DS3, however, tends to run out in a couple days. Of course, I don't plug it up until it's about dead, and lately I've played my PS3 for 3-5+ hours, daily (played 'The Last Guy' for almost 4 hours without realising it....and without blinking).

bread's done
Back