PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

I got my PS3 (the standard 40gb) in February, and it already stopped reading discs this weekend.
It won't read any type of disc, so I went out and bought a PS3/bluray cleaner disc even though I assumed it wouldn't work. Of course it didn't; It sounds like the disc isn't even spinning.

I have the 2 year warranty on it which gives me my purchase price back, but I'm going to save that till a price drop. I'll just turn mine into Sony. It sucks because I saved a bunch of tv shows to the system hard drive and deleted them off the computer. There isn't a way to get them off the system over the network is there?

Mine wont read blu ray media. It still reads PSone and PS2 media along with DVDS. My box comes in on Wednesday. I hope I get a speedy recovery.

[quote name='JMEPO']So you can get a Wii that has no good games, an XBox 360 that has a 30% failure rate or a PS3 that has more errors than...than...I dont know but man that sucks. You should put a dead fish in the coffin...[/quote]

See now thats untrue, the Wii has plenty of good japanese games and the 360 elite has hardly any failure rate. The PS3.....well I'd like to support them but they constantly release updates that have a chance to brick systems.

Anyway, I had the same problem but since my system wasn't within warranty had to pay almost $200 for Sony to fix my system.

[quote name='missingno81']See now thats untrue, the Wii has plenty of good japanese games and the 360 elite has hardly any failure rate. The PS3.....well I'd like to support them but they constantly release updates that have a chance to brick systems.

Anyway, I had the same problem but since my system wasn't within warranty had to pay almost $200 for Sony to fix my system.[/quote]

See, now that's untrue. I've gotten every PS3 update, and none of them bricked my console, though I did have a problem (read: no display) right when 2.4 came out, which was fixed by unplugging my TV from the wall for 2 mins, resetting my surge protector, and plugging back in. I wonder how many people had the same problem and thought it was their PS3 (as my 360 still worked fine through HDMI when my PS3 wouldn't display).

I have an 80gig, which was part of the motorstorm package, haven't had any problems. But then again, i don't watch any blu-ray movies on it either or play any of my ps1 or ps2 discs on it, other than to test new ones i pick up every once in a while. Oh, i don't fold either.

this happened to me, and I think it's a relatively common problem. As long as you're still under warranty you'll be fine, it'll take a week or two to get it back from Sony.

Davideo, you will more than likely get your console repaired not replaced so you shouldn't worry about losing any downloaded content.

A bought a 60gb a few weeks before the end of it's lifecycle. My console froze once when using the Web browser and after rebooting it would no longer load PS2 discs. Everything else worked fine. It was like this for about a month as I tested it several times.

One day, after doing NO firmware updates of any kind, it simply started working again. That was about 10 months ago. Not a problem since.

[quote name='sixteenvolt420']I have an 80gig, which was part of the motorstorm package, haven't had any problems. But then again, i don't watch any blu-ray movies on it either or play any of my ps1 or ps2 discs on it, other than to test new ones i pick up every once in a while. Oh, i don't fold either.[/quote]

You sound like me. I used the PS3 for maybe two PS1 games thus far and neither of them were player for any real length of time. I've also never used any of my PS1/PS2 systems to play the other media they could(CD's/DVD's).

This is pissing me off...

I have my PS3 hooked up to my TV via HDMI and the sound via optical to my receiver. For some reason, I get video errors whenever I'm playing a PS3 game (demos & PSN games too) but it doesn't happen with any PS2 game or whenever I'm in the system menus or watching trailers. The errors are just switching back and forth from the game, noise, or a blank screen.

The error goes away when I turn off 5.1 DD/DTS and just use PCM. Every PS3 game works fine then.. it's like there's an issue when I try to get DD. My receiver does show it's getting a DD 5.1 signal and the sound works fine but my TV just flashes the different video errors.

Any help?

[quote name='bendeco45']this happened to me, and I think it's a relatively common problem. As long as you're still under warranty you'll be fine, it'll take a week or two to get it back from Sony.

Davideo, you will more than likely get your console repaired not replaced so you shouldn't worry about losing any downloaded content.[/QUOTE]

hahaha.... too late, I already did the format / restore option and all w/out making backups (except my save games) because it wanted like 10gb of free space. All I had is a 1gb stick available. Not really concerned, I just didn't want people getting my info, but it still show's my name & e-mail address.

Can anyone tell me how to delete my user info??? (like I said, I did a full system format, and my info was still there - e-mail & password included (already deleted the password though)).

Does anyone have a "creative" way to get LARGE files onto the PS3. By large, I mean bigger than 4GB? I was trying to transfer something to my PS3 since I put a 320GB HDD in, and I forgot that FAT32 was limited to filesize of 4GB or less.

I know I can stream, but that is not the best for some files....oh well.

I'm trying to use this awesome Saturn Style USB Controller on my PS3, and it works in the XMB and PS3 type games, but not in PS2 BC games. I got it to play SF3:Third Strike.. Is there any way to get it to work in PS2 BC mode? All it recognizes is the stupid Dual Shock 3.

I'm trying to connect my PS3 to a hotel internet. I am currently going to a college that had to put me in a hotel room due to overbooking. It's a wired connection in which I tried to set up. I had to literally hit the Prnt Scrn button when I accessed the ipconfig box on my computer because they have it set to disappear within a tenth of a second of appearing. I needed to get all the IP information to input onto the PS3.

However that failed, and so did when I set the PS3 to do it automatically. Is there any work-around to this? I entered in the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS servers, etc... that all displayed on the ipconfig box onto the PS3 and it still comes at as internet connection failed.

Any help?

So you have a computer that's hooked up in the hotel room through Ethernet and works? How was that set up?

Normally all that stuff would be set automatically by a DHCP server, unless they're doing something really weird. Entering any of that manually would screw things up in a normal environment.

I think a lot of colleges might have you register the device online the first time you use it (which would be possible on the PS3 because it has a web browser)...but it could vary from place to place, and I have no idea with a hotel. I think you'd have to ask someone.

Well I tried automatic settings and get the same error. I know when you go online with a laptop it will say "You are being connected" and its from a company called Normadix or something. I tried doing that on the PS3 with its web browser but get errors.

Well they dont technically allow PS3s here. At the dorms they do, but since I am at a hotel its different rules. But I paid for a dorm room, I should in a dorm room so I am going to have items that are allowed in dorm rooms here.

[quote name='gamer4432']Well I tried automatic settings and get the same error. I know when you go online with a laptop it will say "You are being connected" and its from a company called Normadix or something. I tried doing that on the PS3 with its web browser but get errors.[/QUOTE]

I can't even figure out what Normadix is. Could be some kind of VPN client or something like that.

[quote name='smiggity']Try to get their A/V department up there. They should be able to help you out.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think so. You'd probably need to talk to either the university's computing services/networking/whatevertheycallit department, and/or talk with the hotel.

Who configured this computer that's able to connect? What exactly is it doing? They could be using some kind of VPN software to cut through the hotel's internet connection to the university, or something like that. If that's the case it might be possible to use your computer to share it's network connection to the PS3 so that it all goes through the VPN or whatever.

This sounds like a very unusual, specific configuration though, so I think you'll need more info from someone connected with the university and/or hotel. There might even be some configuration info available on your university's web site (we have quite a bit of info up at ours).

Quick question....

Is there a way I can put my Avatar, the one I have here on the forum, on my PS3? I have the new 80 gig so theres no SD card slot. Since they make you choose a pic I just have the generic assassins creed.

[quote name='Ravenous']Quick question....

Is there a way I can put my Avatar, the one I have here on the forum, on my PS3? I have the new 80 gig so theres no SD card slot. Since they make you choose a pic I just have the generic assassins creed.[/quote]
Quick answer... No
Long answer (no, I'm not going to do Nooooooooo....) You can't because Avatars have to be stored on PSN servers.

[quote name='gamer4432']I'm trying to connect my PS3 to a hotel internet. I am currently going to a college that had to put me in a hotel room due to overbooking. It's a wired connection in which I tried to set up. I had to literally hit the Prnt Scrn button when I accessed the ipconfig box on my computer because they have it set to disappear within a tenth of a second of appearing. I needed to get all the IP information to input onto the PS3.

However that failed, and so did when I set the PS3 to do it automatically. Is there any work-around to this? I entered in the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, DNS servers, etc... that all displayed on the ipconfig box onto the PS3 and it still comes at as internet connection failed.

Any help?[/quote]

Launch a command prompt (run-> type 'cmd'), then type 'ipconfig'. If you simply run 'ipconfig', it will disappear as soon as it's done doing what you asked it (that's why it disappears in a tenth of a second).

'ipconfig' shouldn't give you your DNS (at least, it never does for me), however logging into your router and viewing the 'status' page, should tell you.

[quote name='jer7583']I'm trying to use this awesome Saturn Style USB Controller on my PS3, and it works in the XMB and PS3 type games, but not in PS2 BC games. I got it to play SF3:Third Strike.. Is there any way to get it to work in PS2 BC mode? All it recognizes is the stupid Dual Shock 3.[/quote]

If I recall correctly, the drivers for controllers for PS2 are in a different area then the drivers for PS3 stuff. Chances are that when it's playing a PS2 game, it's acting like a PS2 that wouldn't recognize it.

Alternatively, it could be in the wrong 'mode' (if your controller has more than one).

I don't have an external HDD as of right now, but want to upgrade my PS3 drive. Can i just install a new drive and transfer the stuff from my old drive if i just put it in an external enclosure? Or am i going to be forced to buy a external drive as well as an upgrade drive?

Who wants Wipeout HD and possibly Ratchet & Clank Future? Email Me

Email me at wikoogle@gmail.Com

No PMs, don' reply, jus email me only.

I'm looking for four people to gameshare with, assuming it is possible to do so.

Anyone know if it is? For Wipeout HD?

Please, thanks for your help

i just turned on my ps3 and i got a message saying i had to rebuild my ps3's database and when i cancel it says i need to format my harddrive to continue??? Anyway around this?

[quote name='sportsmaniac095']i just turned on my ps3 and i got a message saying i had to rebuild my ps3's database and when i cancel it says i need to format my harddrive to continue??? Anyway around this?[/quote]

Happened to me. The only thing that happened was all my video and music files were back to their default names. Basically it is a defrag, like TMK said.

question about PSN games, if i DL a game on my user will the other users on the same ps3 get to play it on their account? or do i have to gameshare it or something

[quote name='Methadon']
'ipconfig' shouldn't give you your DNS (at least, it never does for me), however logging into your router and viewing the 'status' page, should tell you.
[/quote]

ipconfig /all will give you the DNS entries.

So check this out. I bought my PS3 when those newer 80gb MGS4 Bundles came out 3-4 months back. I barely used it maybe a max of 15 hours on it. Today I go to watch a Blu Ray on it, pop the movie in and it just hangs on a blank screen. I thought it was weird so I tested out a PS3 game. popped it in and it doesn't even show up on the XMB. Tried 2 more games and 2 more blue rays with the same exact result.

I was sorely mistaken when I thought Sony = Quality Product. Pretty lame that my PS3 broke 8 months faster then my Xbox 360. Shame on you Sony.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do besides contact Sony? Maybe Reformat my HDD as I read certain updates have been messing peoples systems up. Fil me in PS3 crowd.

I didn't see my question in the main post, so I'll shoot.

I want to purchase PSN content from a different region (Japan), since they have a lot more stuff available. Do I have to create a second account or can I change the region on my current American account?

[quote name='Kain Vincent']I didn't see my question in the main post, so I'll shoot.

I want to purchase PSN content from a different region (Japan), since they have a lot more stuff available. Do I have to create a second account or can I change the region on my current American account?[/QUOTE]

New account. google: japanese psn

you will find instructions on how to do it step by step.

[quote name='pimpinc333']So check this out. I bought my PS3 when those newer 80gb MGS4 Bundles came out 3-4 months back. I barely used it maybe a max of 15 hours on it. Today I go to watch a Blu Ray on it, pop the movie in and it just hangs on a blank screen. I thought it was weird so I tested out a PS3 game. popped it in and it doesn't even show up on the XMB. Tried 2 more games and 2 more blue rays with the same exact result.

I was sorely mistaken when I thought Sony = Quality Product. Pretty lame that my PS3 broke 8 months faster then my Xbox 360. Shame on you Sony.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do besides contact Sony? Maybe Reformat my HDD as I read certain updates have been messing peoples systems up. Fil me in PS3 crowd.[/QUOTE]

PS3s have a lower failure rate than 360s and probably even Wiis from the sounds of things. Not sure why you're getting all dramatic about it because no console (or electronic device) has a 0% failure rate. I think 5% is the average failure rate for electronics. Just because one console lasted longer for you than another doesn't mean it's the same story for everyone.

I'd contact Sony, sounds like you got a bad optical drive from the sounds of things.

Ok gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I had to recently reset my router, and give it a different IP address (LinksysWRT54g) to something like 192.168.7.1 (???) because at .1.1 it "interfered" with my modem. So, after reconnecting my PS3 to the intarnetz, I have the dreaded NAT Type 3 (dun dun dun), so if anyone has any solutions to this problem at all, let me know as it will affect my PS3, 360 and Wii play.

[quote name='Vinny']PS3s have a lower failure rate than 360s and probably even Wiis from the sounds of things. Not sure why you're getting all dramatic about it because no console (or electronic device) has a 0% failure rate. I think 5% is the average failure rate for electronics. Just because one console lasted longer for you than another doesn't mean it's the same story for everyone.

I'd contact Sony, sounds like you got a bad optical drive from the sounds of things.[/QUOTE]

It's not the same story for everyone, but in my case it was. How does some thing break when it's never in use is what i'm trying to figure out.

Anywho. I ran the 6 hour reformat and now my PS3 is operation again. I'm guessing I got a bad firmware update from Sony. I read numerous online forums and it seems like I wasn't the only one. A ton of people complained about the update breaking their systems as well.

[quote name='KingBroly']Ok gents, I'm in a bit of a pickle here. I had to recently reset my router, and give it a different IP address (LinksysWRT54g) to something like 192.168.7.1 (???) because at .1.1 it "interfered" with my modem. So, after reconnecting my PS3 to the intarnetz, I have the dreaded NAT Type 3 (dun dun dun), so if anyone has any solutions to this problem at all, let me know as it will affect my PS3, 360 and Wii play.[/quote]

Is Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) enabled on both the router and the PS3? I think it is enabled by default on the PS3. That might make it easier for the PS3 to get the ports open that it needs.

[quote name='pimpinc333']It's not the same story for everyone, but in my case it was. How does some thing break when it's never in use is what i'm trying to figure out.

Anywho. I ran the 6 hour reformat and now my PS3 is operation again. I'm guessing I got a bad firmware update from Sony. I read numerous online forums and it seems like I wasn't the only one. A ton of people complained about the update breaking their systems as well.[/QUOTE]

Bad units do get out of the factory, not all units work perfectly right out of the box. Remember the fiasco with all the failing 360's upon launch?

Good to hear it's ok. Looks like you were one of many who suffered from the crappy 3.40 firmware update that gave tons of people problems.

Well, the router had to switch to a different IP address to .2.1. They said I had to do port triggering. Anyone have any numbers?

That's sort of weird formatting the hard disk would fix the Blu Ray drive, but glad it works! Stranger things have happened :)

STILL waiting on Nintendo to ship me a label to send back my Wii (no coffin = lame).

I just upgraded my PS3 hard drive to a 160gb. I've got all my network stuff up and running as i'm able to use the browser. However, I CANNOT sign in to the PSN store at all. I need to be able to re-download all the games I've bought in the last 6 months.

Does anyone have any idea why I cannot sign into the store but my internet connection is fine and dandy?
I know my username and password are correct as I'm able to sign into the PC version of the store.

[quote name='Oxygen']Is Universal Plug and Play (uPnP) enabled on both the router and the PS3? I think it is enabled by default on the PS3. That might make it easier for the PS3 to get the ports open that it needs.[/quote]

uPnP is BAD. You don't need it for Nat type 2 (Which is the good one, means you have a router but it shouldn't be interfering). Did you open and forward the ports to your PS3's IP address? To do this, you'd go into the Gaming section (If you have a linksys), and find all the ports that sony needs, which are:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

and forward them to an address such as 192.168.7.199.

Next, you go into your PS3's internet settings, and set the IP address (instead of automatic) to 192.168.7.199. It should connect, and should be that IP, and should be fine on the NAT.

Anyway, to expand on why uPnP, the purpose of it is to be able to have a system open whatever ports it needs automically on your router. This presents a huge security risk, and UPnP isn't authenticated. You can read more about it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

Another option for those with more advanced routers, such as DD-WRT, is a static DNS lease based on mac address. It is located under the services tab, and you can input the mac address of your PS3 (Located in the network settings), and have your router automatically assign your ps3 to the IP that the ports are forwarded to, which allows you to keep your PS3 on automatic DNS settings.

[quote name='aeauvian']uPnP is BAD. You don't need it for Nat type 2 (Which is the good one, means you have a router but it shouldn't be interfering). Did you open and forward the ports to your PS3's IP address? To do this, you'd go into the Gaming section (If you have a linksys), and find all the ports that sony needs, which are:

TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, and 10070

and forward them to an address such as 192.168.7.199.

Next, you go into your PS3's internet settings, and set the IP address (instead of automatic) to 192.168.7.199. It should connect, and should be that IP, and should be fine on the NAT..[/quote]
I did this, but I can't get past connecting to the access point (I also have the EVIL NAT type 3.) What do I do?
I keep getting a DNS error.

bread's done
Back