PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

cpfpyd2.gif

Umm...why did 5 people just post completely worthless posts? Were you attacking Mana Knight for being helpful? If so, you completely fail at being alive.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Umm...why did 5 people just post completely worthless posts? Were you attacking Mana Knight for being helpful? If so, you completely fail at being alive.[/quote]

I think internet forum posting may have made you too hostile and jaded, Wolfpup. My mind was far from "attacking" Mana Knight. I was just having some good-natured fun. I can laugh at my own expense and I think that's the best way to live, but if Mana Knight feels slighted by my ribbing, I apologize to him.

Hmm, well possibly :D Forum posting has not helped in general my already very low opinion of humanity. (Though there are some REALLY nice forums out there thankfully.)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Umm...why did 5 people just post completely worthless posts? Were you attacking Mana Knight for being helpful? If so, you completely fail at being alive.[/quote]
Don't be such a dick, it was humorous.

I'm sure Mana Knight didn't take offense.

[quote name='yukine']Don't be such a dick, it was humorous.

I'm sure Mana Knight didn't take offense.[/quote]
If he did, it would've been gone by now.

[quote name='yukine']Don't be such a dick, it was humorous.[/QUOTE]

We've now got two examples of me not understanding said "humor".

[quote name='Wolfpup']We've now got two examples of me not understanding said "humor".[/quote]

First he misspelled borders.

Second, I'm pretty sure Jest already knows letterboxing has black borders.

[quote name='yukine']Don't be such a dick, it was humorous.

I'm sure Mana Knight didn't take offense.[/QUOTE]Wow, I didn't know all this happened.

Regardless, it's REALLY tough to offend Mana Knight (only thing that really bugs me is if someone photoshops my personal picture or says my favorite NBA team sucks).

[quote name='manthing']The Chicago Bulls suck

:cool:[/QUOTE]Better than the Minnesota Timberwolves. :p

Anyway, from what Jest said, I just know for a fact there are the black edges on top of the screen and below the screen, if your resolution is 1920 x 1200. It's better than trying to fit on a 1680 x 1050 resolution monitor (or whatever it is).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Better than the Minnesota Timberwolves. :p[/quote]

What makes you think I'm a fan of the Wolves, or the NBA for that matter?

:whistle2:s

I just got fucked...Here is what happened:

I was playing RE5 for 10 or so hours to finish it off and get the Platinum. After I did that I decided to watch a Blu-Ray (Lakeview Terrace) with my wife since I neglected her all day for my PS3. After the movie I hit the circle button to "Quit Playback" and than the little circle in the upper right hand corner came on and it would not go back to the XMB. I tried to shut it off and it would not shut off. So, after five minuted I hit the main power in back. My wife went to bed an I decided to watch the free episode of Kings. I turned the PS3 on and it took about 45-60 seconds for the XMB to show up. I went to the video file and tried to watch Kings. I saw the little loading circle in the upper right hand corner. After a bit, I got a message saying "Corrupted Data, can not Play" I than checked other videos off of the PSN and they where all corrupted.

I called Sony the next day and they told me to do a back up and reformat the hard drive. I pulled out my wifes 160 gig ipod and tried to do a back up. I got an error code 80010038. I tried to do the back up several times and still no luck. Called Sony back and they told me that I could send it in for $149. I asked if I deleted it myself if I could just re-download the movies since I could not do a backup. They also where not aware on what the error code was (there fucking product and code and they do not know?) and they also told me that an ipod could not be used to do back-ups. I argued with the guy and told him that I have back up data on there from a prior time. They said reformat than call back.

So, before I went deleting everything I decided to get my 2 gig Memory Stick Pro Duo so I could save all of my game data. First game to save was my 50+ hours in RE5. "File Can not be Copied, Copy Protected" the PS3 read when I tried. fuck!, ok, Killzone 2 same message fuck again I said, Street Fighter IV same thing fuck me I was yelling. Thank god that LBP and Burnout did not have this stupid shit on it. So I decided since the problem is on the video side I will delete all the video files. I did that and the systems XMB was still laging a bit. So I just took what I can and bit the bullet. I got the Platinum in RE5 and the online Killzone stuff is saved on Sony's servers so that is kinda a plus. Though, it seems like SFIV does not save on the server for online as I had no Battlepoints when I tried.

I reformated and everything was back to normal. Spent the day re-downloading all the PS3 games I had and called Sony and they made all my stuff available to re-download. I have since went to Newegg and got a standard external hard drive to avoid this shit again. It is especially nice now that Sony lets you back up your video files. Thoug, they should know there own fucking error codes.

Bottom line, making save files copy protected is fucking stupid. I first saw this on Timesplitters and thought that it was a stupid practice. I do not understand why some games have it, and the majority do not. Its not a Publisher thing EA's Burnout Paradise City let me save it while EA's Mercenaries did not. Capcoms RE5 and SFIV do, while Devil May Cry 4 did not. I knew Rockband had it, alond with Rockband 2. LBP does not have it, but Killzone 2 does.

Oh also, I did not send it in because I am cheap, but I did not have the original 60 gig hard drive that came with it. I have misplaced it and Sony required that I put it back in for the repair....So if I spent the $149 and had the original hard drive my data would have been sparred....the data on the 60 gig that is, not my RE5, SFIV and games played since upgrading to a 500 gig. But I will try to do a backup at least once a month or after I buy a movie off of them. My HD had 132 gigs of stuff to back-up and the ipod had 144 gigs of free space....Sorry for the rant....

Wow, sorry to hear that. I'm surprised you're not more angry.

They require you to send the original hdd from the system? I've never heard that.
I agree, copy protected saves suck. I'd really like to back those up without having to do a full system backup.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
Regardless, it's REALLY tough to offend Mana Knight (only thing that really bugs me is if someone photoshops my personal picture[/quote]

8-[

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']You know, i'm not sure if my tv can do 480p or not. When I select it on my TV, it shows up, but it's split in half weirdly. Like the left side is the right side of the screen from a certain point, then in the middle is a big bar, then on the right is the left side of the screen. It's not that fuzzy and stuff that happens when I try 720p or anything, and the games look better, but they're unplayable because of that black bar and it being two seperate pictures and not one...

Anyone got any ideas?[/quote]I don't know man but your TV sounds pretty
damn messed up.

What kind of TV is it for starters?

Hey I need help fixing my game screen. My screen has suddenly shifted to the right like about an inch. I noticed this after playing street fighter IV the second players super bar was off screen. My ps3 never had this problem before. Does anyone know how to adjust the screen back?

@boston and playrufio: try resetting the output options.

I was wondering how many of you guys would recommend getting an external hard drive, or a SD flash drive. i have about 25 gb left on my ps3, but i dont want to change the hard drive unless its completely full.
thnks

Its great for back ups, now Sony will let you back up videos off of their video store. So, if you wanted to you could back up your movie, delete it for space and if you wanted to restore it you can. Its also good to have a back up as well so you do not fall into the problem I had. Some saves can only be backed up and not copied.

I'm having desynching issues with my controllers lately. I have a Dualshock and a Sixaxis and regardless of which one I use, they both randomly desync for about 5 seconds. It happens about once an hour, regardless of whether they are fully charged or almost out of battery. It has only happened while playing Resistance 2. Is there something I can do to fix this or am I just stuck dealing with it? (playing with the controller plugged in is not an option).

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, but has anyone else had issues regarding their friends list lately? Mine is not showing anyone is on when they are, it is also not showing when they last logged in etc. If anyone has any info, let me know. Thanks in advance!

You're KIDDING, Playstation 3 games are copy protected too? I thought that was just an insane Wii thing (and a few 360 games)?

There is *NO* excuse for copy protecting save files.

[quote name='Wolfpup']You're KIDDING, Playstation 3 games are copy protected too? I thought that was just an insane Wii thing (and a few 360 games)?

There is *NO* excuse for copy protecting save files.[/quote]

Not all, just some. Not exactly sure why, but I wish they would do an all or none thing (preferably NONE).

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Copy protected or do you mean region-locked?[/quote]
Pretty sure he's talking about save files.

Warner, I had the same problem with Resistance 1, I was only playing it online and it would do it. The only way the problem got fixed was I just quit playing the game and moved on. I would not suggest calling Sony, they do not even know their own error codes.

Another thing that I have noticed is that it seems to take much longer to download HD shows off of the PSN. I keep getting disconnected and the file takes for fucking ever. I do have a shitty connection, but it usually downloads alot faster. I started a 1329MB file at 4pm and its only at 940MB at 12:45 am. Gonnal disconnect and do a hard wire in the morning.....I only have this problem with HD files....

Yeah, copy protection on game saves is stupid, i don't understand why they do that! I'm surprised that RE5 saves are protected, given that RE4 on the Wii is not (i downloaded the unlimited ammo save and it worked).

On the other note, i heard a lot of complaints with the latest update? Especially loading files from the external hdd? And certain codec is not working? Dixv and AVI files are not playing? What's up with that? I haven't update my PS3 yet...

Anyone here have experience with the XCM cross battle adapter?

http://www.gossipgamers.com/xcm-cross-battle-adapter-review-xbox-360-controller-on-a-ps3/

It lets you use a wired 360 controller on your PS3.... This year alot of my co-workers have started going this generation finally but every one of them is buying PS3s. Which brings me to my problem I want to play them online BUT I hate the controller.. It's way to small and ackward playing sports and shooters since the sticks are way to loose and the d-pad is in the wrong place and the triggers blow and and and. lol i'm just to lazy to relearn and get the touch of how to smoothly handle all the games I play on the fly with my eyes closed on the 360......

Ok so before I get attacked........ I am not a 360 fanboy I own all 3 systems but will admit to doing all my gaming on the 360 besides PS3/Wii exclusives. I just got hooked on XBL playing with friends and the whole experience and never strayed unless I had too...

I've googled and looked at reviews and it looks good and i'm probably gonna order this week off Ebay.. Just wondering if anyone here had used one. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Serpentor']Yeah, copy protection on game saves is stupid, i don't understand why they do that! ...[/quote]
They don't want people to not experience the full game or the game it was designed to be.

[quote name='$hady']Anyone here have experience with the XCM cross battle adapter?

http://www.gossipgamers.com/xcm-cross-battle-adapter-review-xbox-360-controller-on-a-ps3/

It lets you use a wired 360 controller on your PS3.... This year alot of my co-workers have started going this generation finally but every one of them is buying PS3s. Which brings me to my problem I want to play them online BUT I hate the controller.. It's way to small and ackward playing sports and shooters since the sticks are way to loose and the d-pad is in the wrong place and the triggers blow and and and. lol i'm just to lazy to relearn and get the touch of how to smoothly handle all the games I play on the fly with my eyes closed on the 360......

Ok so before I get attacked........ I am not a 360 fanboy I own all 3 systems but will admit to doing all my gaming on the 360 besides PS3/Wii exclusives. I just got hooked on XBL playing with friends and the whole experience and never strayed unless I had too...

I've googled and looked at reviews and it looks good and i'm probably gonna order this week off Ebay.. Just wondering if anyone here had used one. :)[/QUOTE]

Please post a follow up on what you think .
I too think the 360 controller is superior .

[quote name='J7.']They don't want people to not experience the full game or the game it was designed to be.[/quote]

That is the worst and by far dumbest rebuttal I have ever heard before. In fact your comment is void, if that was the reason, why can I copy my RE5 save file on my 360 version of the game, but was not able to do it on my PS3 version?

A better response would be to prevent trophy whoring, but when I copy my LBP data to my other PS3 and my son plays it on his profile and it tells him that he can not earn trophy's, so that is not the reason either.

After reading around a bit more i've decided to just go ahead and buy the cross battle adapter. I'll post all the details and some game tests once I receive it. I'm happy to be a crash test dummy. :)

I'll hide the rest in spoilers so as not to bore those who don't care:
I had been eyeballing a blue version 1 on Ebay for $59 shipped but gonna skip it after reading a bunch of disconnect troubles even after a fix was found. The new black version supposedly fixes all known issues and adds rumble support. I dont care about rumble but yea that's what i'm getting...

Best deal I found was from Amazon surprisingly. It's sold by Total Consoles but shipped from Amazon for free. $69.99 (plus I have a couple $5 GCs)
Clickety

Absolute cheapest I found was Total Consoles own website for $64.69 shipped...
Clickety 2

If you need one Walmart.com lists the wired 360 controller for $29.73 or you can grab one from Amazon for $29.49.

Kinda pricey for the combo but hopefully worth it to be able to use a superior controller. :pray:

[quote name='Davestation']That is the worst and by far dumbest rebuttal I have ever heard before. In fact your comment is void, if that was the reason, why can I copy my RE5 save file on my 360 version of the game, but was not able to do it on my PS3 version?

A better response would be to prevent trophy whoring, but when I copy my LBP data to my other PS3 and my son plays it on his profile and it tells him that he can not earn trophy's, so that is not the reason either.[/quote]
It's not my reason, it's what I have read in the past about the situation in general i.e. developers and publishers want people to experience the game as it was designed to be experienced, otherwise the player could have a lesser experience of the game. If someone just uses save files to skip certain parts or whatever, they miss out on the actual game, challenges, rewards, satisfaction, etc.

IMO that's ridiculous. Should DVD/Blu Rays be locked so you can't fast forward or something? That's just absurd. Yeah, that's a possibility, but what do they care? Most people are just going to try to play through it, unless they get stuck (in which case they'll probably get rid of it otherwise anyway).

This is *NOT* a good development.

Street Fighter 4 and Resident Evil 5 were mentioned-do the Xbox versions of those have DRMed save files? Because if not, that finally solves that question for me, I'll just get the Xbox version (and here I thought the Playstation 3 was the one system that didn't have that retarded DRMed save files). The Wii is really terrible with that, though maybe the Playstation's getting just as bad?

RE5 on the 360 you can copy your save on to a memory card. Can not do it on the PS3, not sure about SFIV on the 360, but I got rid of both games because my system crashed on the PS3 and I could not do a back-up or save them with a memory stick pro-duo.

bread's done
Back