PS3 FAQ's: PSN, Gaming, Hardware, Accessories, Gen. Discussions...etc.

[quote name='bvharris']Out of warranty. Which is just as well, since I couldn't find the original receipt anyway. And yes, they charged me $149. It's a lot to pay, but if it fixes the problem I'm willing to pony it up, considering the alternative of buying an all new PS3.[/QUOTE]

That's why I don't get why I see so many people on CL(usually out of town) selling their PS3 that 'won't read games' for $75-100 when they could send it to Sony and get it fixed for less than what a new one will cost.

I must admit that I'm still quite annoyed by the amount you have to pay once it's out of warranty, but I guess they need to pay their workers somehow, huh?

In news concerning my PS3, apparently it's fixed and is already en route back to my house. From when they received it on Wednesday of THIS WEEK, it took TWO DAYS to fix and start the process of shipping it back.

I was thinking I'd be without my PS3 for two weeks or MORE since they said turnaround time is between 7-15 days.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
I must admit that I'm still quite annoyed by the amount you have to pay once it's out of warranty, but I guess they need to pay their workers somehow, huh?
[/QUOTE]

It's a lot, yeah. But the way I look at it, I've had my PS3 since December, 2006 so basically 2.5 years. In that time I've never had a single problem with it until now, so I'm not going to sweat having to pony up $150 to fix it, with the obvious caveat that it actually works for a good long while after I get it back. It's a complicated and expensive piece of machinery, I doubt it's cheap to fix nor is the labor of people who fix it. If the PS3 had the same fail rate as the 360 and they were still charging that amount, I would cry foul.

A question for those who have BC PS3s and play on HDTVs:

I have an 80 gb software BC PS3 and that I have hooked up to a 24 inch 1080p computer monitor. What settings do you use (in terms of smoothing/upscaler when you play ps2 games. I have been messing with the settings and either way picture looks far from "normal".

Now that I think about it this applies to all PS3s with PS1 games.

[quote name='bvharris']It's a lot, yeah. But the way I look at it, I've had my PS3 since December, 2006 so basically 2.5 years. In that time I've never had a single problem with it until now, so I'm not going to sweat having to pony up $150 to fix it, with the obvious caveat that it actually works for a good long while after I get it back. It's a complicated and expensive piece of machinery, I doubt it's cheap to fix nor is the labor of people who fix it. If the PS3 had the same fail rate as the 360 and they were still charging that amount, I would cry foul.[/QUOTE]

Sony wasn't exactly immune to the 360 syndrome, as they had that problem with the earlier PS2's last gen and they charged people $75 a pop to 'fix' the DRE issues. After they were sued they fixed them for a very limited time for free, but then they went back to charging people for it.

At least MS upped the warranty for the 360 to 3 years for the RROD alone(and now some of the error codes as well), since I didn't see Sony do that last gen when the PS2's warranty was a meager(more like disgustingly paltry) 90 friggin' days.

So I received notice yesterday afternoon that they'd received my console and then received notice last night that they'd sent it back. I'm impressed by the fast turnaround, I just hope they actually did something to it. Or perhaps they just sent me a new one, I have no idea since their e-mails weren't any more specific than "we received it" and "we sent it." I e-mailed them requesting more info. Nevertheless, I'm psyched to get it back so soon.

Ok, so I put a disc into my PS3 and everything was fine.
I then tried to eject it, and it was stuck! I eventually held down the eject button and it came out, but its all scratched up now.
So now I'm worried that every upcoming disc I put in is going to have the same fate.
Should I be worried?

[quote name='Azumangaman']Ok, so I put a disc into my PS3 and everything was fine.
I then tried to eject it, and it was stuck! I eventually held down the eject button and it came out, but its all scratched up now.
So now I'm worried that every upcoming disc I put in is going to have the same fate.
Should I be worried?[/QUOTE]
If the disc wasn't scratched before, and is now, then yes, you should be worried. I'd recommend against putting anything else into the system, and calling Sony soon, before anything else happens.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Ok, so I put a disc into my PS3 and everything was fine.
Should I be worried?[/QUOTE]
this happened to me once. however it was my fault. I had bought some used movies from the video store. I removed to stickers that were on the disc itself. However there was still some adhesive remaining on the disc I didn't notice. It was a bitch getting the disc out, and it was scratched up, but I realized it was my fault.

2 questions for ya. 1) are the scratches on the top or bottom side of the disc. 2) are the scratches circular or from center to edge or just random???

[quote name='bvharris']So I received notice yesterday afternoon that they'd received my console and then received notice last night that they'd sent it back. I'm impressed by the fast turnaround, I just hope they actually did something to it. Or perhaps they just sent me a new one, I have no idea since their e-mails weren't any more specific than "we received it" and "we sent it." I e-mailed them requesting more info. Nevertheless, I'm psyched to get it back so soon.[/QUOTE]

I copied down my serial # before sending my PS3 out to Sony and I had the first 6 numbers or so memorized, so I just checked the serial # sticker when I got it out of the box last week. It was the same system.

Though I don't think their repair center is IN Laredo, TX but rather over the border in Mexico perhaps because it said something about 'cross border' when I double checked the tracking number.

Either way, after an initial snafu when trying to play GTA IV(no video on screen after the loading screens), all is well.

Chances are they may have just cleaned the lens if it only took them a day or two to service it. Although if the lens was too far gone they may have replaced it.

I may call Sony on Tuesday and ask them what they did to my system since I received no details with my system when I got it back.

Okay, upgraded 320gb to 500gb over the weekend and here's something you guys/gals might want to know...

After restoration from backup, you'll need to log into your PSN account and reactivate your account so that your PSN games will continue to work. Duh, common sense right? Well, not quite... If your account says ACTIVE, you'll still need to turn it to DEACTIVATE and then turn it back to ACTIVE. Weird heh? Well, it didn't work me when i log into my account and see that it's ACTIVE...

As for the games/contents from game sharing? Do the same, deactivate and then activate. All of my games worked fine on the new 500gb hdd.

Received my console back today. Or a console I should say, obviously mine was beyond repair. Same model and everything, working well so far. Losing all my saves is frustrating, but it's not the end of the world.

[quote name='bvharris']Received my console back today. Or a console I should say, obviously mine was beyond repair. Same model and everything, working well so far. Losing all my saves is frustrating, but it's not the end of the world.[/QUOTE]

I saved my Rise Of The Argonauts file, but other than that I didn't want any of my saves. Well, that and the fact that EA or whoever made the saves for Mercenaries two LOCKED, so I couldn't put them on a flash drive before formatting.

I'm so pissed about that one, since the church was a major pain in the ass mission to do.

[quote name='option.iv']Anyone have or tried this?

http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-121...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1243822428&sr=8-1

Seems like there is a hefty amount of defective items, but it's the only one of it's kind. I'm really tempted just for the component capture.[/QUOTE]
is it the only one of it's kind because it's HD. I was looking at one to store my entire library collection on, but it didn't exactly work the way I expected so I never bought it.

[quote name='shadowkast']is it the only one of it's kind because it's HD. I was looking at one to store my entire library collection on, but it didn't exactly work the way I expected so I never bought it.[/QUOTE]
From my undrstanding, other pvrs don't have component inputs thus, no capture of hd video. I think I'm going to wait until Dell has more 25%+ coupon codes to use on this thing. Just missed the 25%+10% deal 5/28 which would bump it down to about $149.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I saved my Rise Of The Argonauts file, but other than that I didn't want any of my saves. Well, that and the fact that EA or whoever made the saves for Mercenaries two LOCKED, so I couldn't put them on a flash drive before formatting.

I'm so pissed about that one, since the church was a major pain in the ass mission to do.[/QUOTE]

You need to do a system backup to copy locked saves

Guys, if I was going to...sell...a PS3 (used 5-6 months) with its original box (not all the original boxes contents i.e. game/movie) to a fellow CAG or on ebay or craiglist what have you. What sorts of stuff should I keep in mind to:
a) make the sale easier
b) make it an easy choice for the buyer
c) anything else I'm not thinking of?
d) what percentage do you guys think should be knocked off of a used system?

I have an iPod USB/AC adapter; has anyone actually tried to use one of these to charge a wireless controller?

I want to reuse a shorter USB cable that I already have.

Also, is it possible to play a game while the controller is being charged with the _AC_ adapter--or does it need to charge with the PS3?

Can you plug the controller up to a laptop to charge it?

[quote name='jh6269']I have an iPod USB/AC adapter; has anyone actually tried to use one of these to charge a wireless controller?

I want to reuse a shorter USB cable that I already have.

Also, is it possible to play a game while the controller is being charged with the _AC_ adapter--or does it need to charge with the PS3?

Can you plug the controller up to a laptop to charge it?[/QUOTE]
My understanding is that since the wireless controller communicates with PS3 via Bluetooth, you can charge it via USB plugged into anywhere (a laptop, AC adapter, etc) and still be able to play a game - it doesn't have to be plugged into the PS3.

[quote name='smiggity']You need to do a system backup to copy locked saves[/QUOTE]

I only had like a 2gb flash drive and nothing else to copy it to, though I should've deleted everything else from my PS3 first and then tried it, since I doubt the saves I wanted to keep would've taken up 2 full GB's.

Unfortunately, the flash drive already had stuff on it(pictures) and I didn't have time to dump them onto my computer, then email them to myself or otherwise store them and then use the flash drive for the week or two my PS3 was gone.

I gotta double check my PS3 again, but I think it's messing up on something DIFFERENT this time. When I pause a game and go into the XMB, it sometimes goes back INTO the game screen while in the XMB.

It's usually only for a second or two, but could it be that my video port(AV one)on my PS3 is messed up now too?

I should've had them check that out while they had it, since it did it before the system stopped reading games well, but I wasn't sure if it was a major issue or not since it had only done it sporadically.

I have to test it on another game or two to see if it does that on those or if it's just on GTAIV. If it does it on my other games though, I'm sending it back to Sony again, since I have a 90 day warranty extension due to sending it in for repairs while under warranty.

I have a bunch of questions, any help is appreciated.

1)If I want to backup all the files on my system, I take it the best way is to use the backup utility, but what if I only have a 2 gb flash drive to backup things to and I don't want to delete my files?

2) Will I have to manually copy each file, then delete them, then backup the system's data?

3) How large is the system's data without any files?

4) Where do I put my files before restoring, can I put them all on my PC?

I started to play online finally and am having the worst of luck of getting on. Note my laptop and xbox360 work perfectly fine with the network. Why is it a 20% likely hood I can get on?

I have personally been trying to get on for about 1 hour. It fails on Playstation Network. Sometimes, the Network Connection Test even fully passes only to not allow me to sign on. Note I was able to play last night online.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

[quote name='manthing']Then why are you trying to use your laptop for a bridge?

:whistle2:s

Just use the internal wifi[/QUOTE]

I am not using the laptop as a bridge.

I was saying that in the same room I can bring my laptop in and use it on the internet where my ps3 can't. Same goes for my Xbox360 on xbox live. I wish my ps3 could get on the internet just as well. It makes no sense.

I decided to use a gaming wireless adapter (which I had attached to my directv box) so the ps3 uses a wired connection. It seems to work fine which makes me think the wireless inside the ps3 is bricked.

Ok, similar DS3 charging question as before; I bought the USB/AC adapter.
Does anyone actually have the USB/AC adapter and can tell me whether you can charge the controller with the adapter while the PS3 is _off_?

[quote name='jh6269']Ok, similar DS3 charging question as before; I bought the USB/AC adapter.
Does anyone actually have the USB/AC adapter and can tell me whether you can charge the controller with the adapter while the PS3 is _off_?[/QUOTE]

I dont have that specific charger; however I have charged my DS3 controler using my camera's usb wall cord as well as my Zune wall cord with a mini usb attached. Both worked fine.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']I dont have that specific charger; however I have charged my DS3 controler using my camera's usb wall cord as well as my Zune wall cord with a mini usb attached. Both worked fine.[/QUOTE]

And your PS3 was powered off while it charged?

I tried my iPod USB/AC adapter and it didn't work; also tried my DVR's USB port and it did not work either. So I'm hoping the Sony USB/AC adapter will allow me to charge while playing games (while plugged in next to me in an outlet w/the standard 3' cord), and also let me charge it overnight with the console powered off.

If the adapter does neither of those, I'm going to return it unopened.

If I want to backup all the files on my system, I take it the best way is to use the backup utility, but what if I only have a 2 gb flash drive to backup things to and I don't want to delete my files... will I have to manually copy each file, then delete them, then backup the system's data?

[quote name='J7.']If I want to backup all the files on my system, I take it the best way is to use the backup utility, but what if I only have a 2 gb flash drive to backup things to and I don't want to delete my files... will I have to manually copy each file, then delete them, then backup the system's data?[/QUOTE]

You'll find that some files are unable to be copied without copying everything so copying each file individually may not work out too well. I know that this was the case with my friggin' save file for Mercenaries 2 (DAMN YOU EA :bomb:), so that was one that I didn't end up being able to copy.

That reminds me that now that I have my PS3 back I can delete the file(s) I copied from it to my USB flash drive.

I bought a video in the store, and for some reason it doesn't show up in my DL list. Neither do the free episodes of Dexter and Voltron I downloaded. What's the deal?

I've got a weird problem.
My PS3 won't read games. It will read some games for a little bit. It will recognize a game is in the drive and then error out. (80010514) I know it means that the blu ray diode is dead but my ps3 will still read and play dvds (does it use a different laser?). I have yet to try playstation 2 games (it's a 60gb). It was dying slowly while playing inFamous, it would freeze after a while of playing, sometimes quicker than other. After I quit the game, the system would beep and then take at least 5 minutes until it went to XMB, then it wouldn't recognize the disc was in the system. It won't recognize blu rays at all (I only had 3 to check but still).
I don't want to admit that it is dead. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this or any suggestions?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Did you delete them from your hard drive?[/QUOTE]

No, they're still there. I purchased the video a few days ago.

Strange. Are you looking at the download list in the games part of the story or the video part of the store? It might also be that they've been downloaded the one time you're allotted, so they won't appear on the download list again. My HD version of the free episode of Kings that was on there a few months ago is still there since I didn't want to download the 5 GB file, while the SD version that I did download is gone.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Strange. Are you looking at the download list in the games part of the story or the video part of the store? It might also be that they've been downloaded the one time you're allotted, so they won't appear on the download list again. My HD version of the free episode of Kings that was on there a few months ago is still there since I didn't want to download the 5 GB file, while the SD version that I did download is gone.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I looked at the video download section. Kings is still there because I never finished it. The episode of Ring of Honor from HDNet I bought it not on the list. So you can only download shows once? What happens if your PS3 breaks or you get a new system? How do you prove you bought the episode (besides the coupon they send you in an email)? What if I run out of space on my HD and need to delete stuff? Am I SOL? I just assumed videos could be downloaded the same amount of times as the game content.

Yeah, you get to download it once and you have to buy it again if you delete it for whatever reason. It's stupid, but that's pretty much the way it's been since they started offering videos. They might offer you another download if your hard drive or system dies if you email them about it, but I'm not sure if that's standard practice or not.

If you have a PSP, you can copy it to that and/or back it up to the PC from the PSP with the Media Go/Manager software.

[quote name='Doc Bacca']I've got a weird problem.
My PS3 won't read games. It will read some games for a little bit. It will recognize a game is in the drive and then error out. (80010514) I know it means that the blu ray diode is dead but my ps3 will still read and play dvds (does it use a different laser?). I have yet to try playstation 2 games (it's a 60gb). It was dying slowly while playing inFamous, it would freeze after a while of playing, sometimes quicker than other. After I quit the game, the system would beep and then take at least 5 minutes until it went to XMB, then it wouldn't recognize the disc was in the system. It won't recognize blu rays at all (I only had 3 to check but still).
I don't want to admit that it is dead. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this or any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

If you Google PS3 replacement drive, I believe it brings up a list of places selling BR lenses for $70 or so. However, I'm sure the last thing you want to do is to try and open the system and replace it yourself.

However, from the sound of it, the BR lens is dead/dying and you're going to be needing a replacement sooner rather than later.

So it's either pay Sony the $150(out of warranty cost) plus pay for the cost of shipping it into them.....or $70 and experiment on your own.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']You'll find that some files are unable to be copied without copying everything so copying each file individually may not work out too well. I know that this was the case with my friggin' save file for Mercenaries 2 (DAMN YOU EA :bomb:), so that was one that I didn't end up being able to copy.

That reminds me that now that I have my PS3 back I can delete the file(s) I copied from it to my USB flash drive.[/QUOTE]
Without copying everything? Do you know roughly how large the PS3 system's data is without any files? And if I can put all the files copied onto my PC? Maybe there'e a better way than using a flash drive.

[quote name='J7.']Without copying everything? Do you know roughly how large the PS3 system's data is without any files? And if I can put all the files copied onto my PC? Maybe there'e a better way than using a flash drive.[/QUOTE]

I honestly don't know really, since I only ended up copying the one save file I wanted to keep(for a game I haven't played again since getting the PS3 back from Sony). So thus far it's been a total waste of time for me having even tried to save any files.

You should be able to put the files onto your PC, since the flash drive has to be formatted FAT32 in order to work with the PS3, which is the same formatting as a PC HDD.

I'm not sure if any other companies pulled the EA garbage with locking the saves or not, but you SHOULD be able to copy most of them.

Ok. Thanks. I guess I'll just copy my saves as long as I can redownload my purchases without losing any activations or whatever for them.

Kinda OT, but since these are compatiable with PS3, I had a question. I sold someone some brand new wired Singstar mics and they say the Blue mic does not work. I Googled this, and it seems like this is a recurring problem, with various issues with Singstar mics. Anything I can try to tell him to try?

Hey, I'm not sure if it's just me. But whenever I have my PS3 connected via component cables (either $5 ones or the Sony branded ones) I get this shadowing effect offset to the right. This occurs both on my Samsung T200HD and Sony TV (don't know model). It's not noticeable if I turn down the brightness, and get worse as I p the resolution up to 720p and 1080i/p. In comparison, when the PS3 is hooked up HDMI, this problem does not appear. I'm thinking it has to do with analog vs digital signal.

I was wondering if anyone experienced this, and if so, I would like some tips or resolution to this problem. Thanks.

I just got into PS3/PC content streaming - Cool stuff. Shame I didn't get into this earlier.

2 quick questions though -

TVersity - best program to use? I'm having good success with it so far, just wondering if there is anything else out there I should try.

I'm not fully moved in yet and don't have my HDTV at this house. Can I stream HD videos to the PS3?

Thanks!

bread's done
Back