PS3 finally died, first console I have EVER had die on me.

sbrown1

CAGiversary!
At first I thought it was really strange when it happened but I guess with the cheap thermal compound they are using on these things it was inevitable.  Anyone know if I can get any credit towards a new one with a broken one at gamestop?

Trade in on a broken last-gen system is terrible, but they do take them in.  

I had 2 NESes die on me, but I had played the crap out of them.  Played through SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, N64, PS1, PS2 with no issues... then my xbox 360 died after 3 hours of playing it.  Dead systems suck.

This literally just happened to me a few hours ago. My 80gb phat just crapped out in the middle of a netflix movie. Red flashing light. And I have a game disc in it. Let it sit for a few hours. Green light for all of 2 seconds then 3 beeps and red flashing. And I still have a game disc in it!

There are a couple repair places within 45 minutes of me that do reflow and reballing so I will be giving them a call. The prices people want for used PS3's in my area are crazy compared to new so I might as well just repair it!

@ OP, which PS3 model did you have?

Anyway, I've been lucky with my PS3 so far but have had my Xbox 360 die twice :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been pretty lucky. My 80gb fat is on literally all the time, no real issues with it. I've had 1 360 red ring, my launch unit. MS fixed it, never had a problem afterwards.

Check a local repair shop, they may be able to bring it back. I've seen our local guy do some pretty impressive repairs.

My "local" repair shop is an hour drive from me. And they charge $80 for a reflow.  I ordered a used 12gb superslim from cowboom on the recent promotion for $75 total. As long as it works, that saved me a total of 4 hours of drive time. (2 hours to drop it off and 2 hours to pick it up.)

But I also bought a brand new one last week (PM'd Amazon who was PM'ing Gamestop). So an unbundled 500gb was $219.99 plus Target had a Cartwheel coupon for 15% off PS3 consoles. So pre-tax the price was $186.99. The cowboom unit will be a backup for me.

As for my 80gb fat model...I'll tear it down enough to get the disc out of it and then either trash it or see if anyone wants it for parts.

I had a few original xboxs die before they released the new power cable and sent it out for free.  Then I bought new power supplies for $10 each and started repairing them...  Ended up with a handful of original xboxs which worked out great for Halo LANs.  Oh the best of times.

360s died like its cool.  Mine red ringed, I threw it in a bin at my house which stayed in the rain a few days.  Then I found out it was a model that was very easy to JTag.  So I pulled it out, and miraculously it worked!  I knew a lot of guys that had it die though.

Multiple Dreamcast controller resistors popped from 3rd party controllers.  Luckily very easy to fix.

Had a PSP explode in my pocket (I rolled on the ground).  No fault of the device.

All previous gens still work flawlessly (or with a bit of windpipe help)

I broke my PS3, but it wasn't Sony's fault. It was more my own stupidity and the laws of physics. Have any of you have any luck with repair places fixing something like that?

Is there a way I can just buy a new unit and carry over my HDD contents without needing a working PS3 to do the transfer?

bread's done
Back