PS3 Freezing Very Often

Jmclark

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Alright, I have a little issue with my PS3, that I've had since I bought it used in January. It freezes on me, all the time. When I'm playing any game, especially online, it just freezes, and I have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

I know it's not the game itself, because it does it with every game, including my PSN games, and ModNation Racers, which I just bought. I called Sony about the issue a week or two ago, and did what they suggested. I did the fan test, restored default settings, repaired the file system, and even completely formatted the hard drive and started fresh. Now Sony's saying that all that's left is to spend $120 to get it repaired or buy another one.

It's a really annoying issue, especially when I'm in an MW2 party or racing in MNR. Does anyone have any suggestions that I should try to do to see if they fix it?

[quote name='Jmclark']Alright, I have a little issue with my PS3, that I've had since I bought it used in January. It freezes on me, all the time. When I'm playing any game, especially online, it just freezes, and I have to hold the power button down to turn it off.

I know it's not the game itself, because it does it with every game, including my PSN games, and ModNation Racers, which I just bought. I called Sony about the issue a week or two ago, and did what they suggested. I did the fan test, restored default settings, repaired the file system, and even completely formatted the hard drive and started fresh. Now Sony's saying that all that's left is to spend $120 to get it repaired or buy another one.

It's a really annoying issue, especially when I'm in an MW2 party or racing in MNR. Does anyone have any suggestions that I should try to do to see if they fix it?[/QUOTE]

Mine started freezing up during Uncharted 2 a whole lot at random times. I deleted all my messages and stopped using my usb keyboard. For some reason If I have my usb keyboard plugged in. It freezes up and otherwise it won't.

[quote name='jman619']Mine started freezing up during Uncharted 2 a whole lot at random times. I deleted all my messages and stopped using my usb keyboard. For some reason If I have my usb keyboard plugged in. It freezes up and otherwise it won't.[/QUOTE]

I don't have anything plugged in via USB and it still freezes.

[quote name='Shoki']back up your save games while you can[/QUOTE]

I did already. And are you saying it's going to die on me soon?

Also, I forgot to mention this, but I have a 40GB if that matters.

Im assuming you are updated to the newest firmware version right?

You dont have it sitting inside of like a media cabinet or anything do you? If its in a small enclosed space or sitting on carpet all your doing is trapping heat inside the thing. It really should be on a flat, hard surface with plenty of room for airflow.

Not to be a downer but I have the same 4oGB model and mine just died on me and has the YLOD after having the freezing problems!! UGGG, Im buying a new one instead of paying $160 for them to "repair" my system. Im buying a usb enclosure to back up my stuff and transfering it to my new system. Good luck, I hope you dont have my bad luck

[quote name='gargus']Im assuming you are updated to the newest firmware version right?

You dont have it sitting inside of like a media cabinet or anything do you? If its in a small enclosed space or sitting on carpet all your doing is trapping heat inside the thing. It really should be on a flat, hard surface with plenty of room for airflow.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's kinda in one. There's a hole in the back though, so it's just the sides that are enclosing it. Would that possibly be the case?

[quote name='Jmclark']Well, it's kinda in one. There's a hole in the back though, so it's just the sides that are enclosing it. Would that possibly be the case?[/QUOTE]

My nephews was in a hi-fi cabinet and if he didn't leave the front open when playing his 60gb would heat up massively, he has it in his old tv stand, but I tell him to still leave the front open when playing to let the heat out. I'd recommend what was already said, keeping it out in the open, nothing around it getting all the airflow it can.

See if that works with your locking issues.

My 60GB was starting to get pretty loud, and I did get the odd lockup, so I followed the youTube video and applied some high quality thermal paste, and I can't even hear it now when on XMB, and it pretty reasonable when playing games again. I couldn't believe the amount of dust in there.

It is a lot of work though. Took me well over an hour, though I am sure I could do it 30 minutes now.

No lockups since, but haven't had a chance to play it much either.

[quote name='lizard6king6']Not to be a downer but I have the same 4oGB model and mine just died on me and has the YLOD after having the freezing problems!! UGGG, Im buying a new one instead of paying $160 for them to "repair" my system. Im buying a usb enclosure to back up my stuff and transfering it to my new system. Good luck, I hope you dont have my bad luck[/QUOTE]

If you're ready to plot another $300 on one, you may want to attempt fixing it yourself, first. It's rather inexpensive - you just need a phillips screwdriver, a hex screwdriver (for the top lid), some thermal paste (arctic silver or ic diamond), some alcohol, and a heat gun.

Check out the numerous guides on youtube, and if you think it looks kinda easy, it's because it is. I've done this on a few so far, and as long as you're not careless and follow instructions well, it should work for you, too.

[quote name='jman619']Mine started freezing up during Uncharted 2 a whole lot at random times. I deleted all my messages and stopped using my usb keyboard. For some reason If I have my usb keyboard plugged in. It freezes up and otherwise it won't.[/QUOTE]
A USB keyboard will cause freezing issues? That's bullshit. But maybe Sony wants to force people to buy their overpriced keypad bs.

I just do a quick Restore File System anytime I start getting freezing issues. Although it might be the games at times causing the issues, such as Red Dead Reglitchion.

For a game that's been in development for as long as it was, it's loaded with glitches and has been known to cause freezing issues on the PS3.:roll:

It also makes my slim's fan(as well as my one buddies 40gb's fan) kick into high gear, which is quite worrisome to me since I'm coming up on the end of the cheapass one year warranty.

I think my PS3 has only froze during a game once, and that was back towards when I first bought it. My PS3 does lock up and requires a hard reboot quite often tho. Can anyone guess during what? Say it with me now: The. Internet. Browser!

For the sake of my PS3's life and my own personal time I really shouldn't use the damn thing. It takes quite a while to do anything on the browser and it is much more convenient to just go to the PC, but browsing the net on the couch is just so... satisfying...

But yeah, if at all possible, avoid using the browser.

bread's done
Back