PS3 Game Blowout Sale at Newegg

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Newegg has a "Game Blowout!" sale for the PS3 and there's some really solid deals here. Free shipping on everything:

http://promotions.newegg.com/games/021511PS3/index.html?cm_sp=cat_Playstation-3-PS3-_-gamesPS3021511-_-http%3a%2f%2fpromotions.newegg.com%2fgames%2f021511PS3%2f478x88.jpg

Demon's Souls - $14.99
Katamari Forever - $14.99
3D Dot Game Heroes - $14.99
Eternal Sonata - $15.99
Kung Fu Rider (PS move) - $16.99
EyePet (PS Move) - $24.99
Sports Champions (PS Move) - $24.99
Alien Vs Predator: Hunter Edition - $29.99
Killzone 2 + Dualshock 3 bundle - $48.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sabanoo']It's not going to be black label.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that too since now it's probably only going to be GH. But how can you be sure?

[quote name='Dreamweapon']It's only a "RPG" in the most cursory sense, there's very little dialog or story to speak of, and you will _not_ be spending much time on inventory management or kak like that. At least that was the case in the Asian import I had, which I understand to have been more or less the same as the North American version, save for a couple of object and spell names. I would say it's about 95% hardcore tactical action/adventure, 5% RPG. I've finished exactly three "traditional" JRPGs in my life, none since the original Playstation/Saturn days, _hate_ the genre, but flippin' LOVED Demon's Souls....it's really a mistake IMO to pass on it just because some reviewers or retailers lazily shoehorned the title into some particular genre.[/QUOTE]

After reading the IGN review it has me really apprehensive to try it. It states that when you die you practically start over from scratch with nothing. As often as I die in these types of games I am afraid it will really piss me off. :cry:

Is there a demo of this game at all?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Even at $16, I have a hard time recommending Eternal Sonata. Just couldn't finish it on the 360, and I wanted to like it so much, because the story's concept was quite interesting. But the writing was very juvenile, in my opinion. I almost always finish RPGs that I start, but this was one that I gave up on.[/QUOTE]

I did the same and sold it soon after. However, once it was released i re-bought it for PS3 and ended up loving it and finishing the entire game.

Also hopefully amazon will pricematch since I have amazon credit that I'd be willing to part with for a few of the games (specifically Demon's Souls, Katamari Forever, and Kung Fu Rider)

Edit: Seems amazon dropped their prices on these games since i last checked, may just pick them up even though there $2-3 more expensive

[quote name='nnthomas']Dude what is with these posts LMAO. You have been spewing this crap in anything J-Game related.

Give it up bro.[/QUOTE]

I have seen this doucheybag posting all over the threads with comments such as that. I think his join date is like Nov 2010- nice way to make friends.... :whistle2:#

[quote name='lllGurulll']After reading the IGN review it has me really apprehensive to try it. It states that when you die you practically start over from scratch with nothing. As often as I die in these types of games I am afraid it will really piss me off. :cry:

Is there a demo of this game at all?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if there's still a demo or not. It's true that it's a difficult game, but it's nowhere near the Everest it's made out to be by some. You only lose unexchanged souls when you die, no weapons/armor/equipment, and if you can fight your way back to the spot where you died on your ensuing life, you can recover everything you lost. Once you pick up Total Protection/Warding, only a few of the remaining bosses (namely Maneater and False King) will present a substantial challenge. Basically, it's just very unforgiving of lapses in concentration; if you are prepared the give the game your full attention as you're playing it, I have to imagine you'll get a lot out of it.

FWIW, despite having spent thousands of hours playing vids, I would say I was only "great" at a small handful of them--namely Quake, TF2, the Myth series and the defunct 2k football series. None of these have mechanics anything like DS, yet I beat it without much frustration. I really think it has to be in the discussion for Game of the Decade.

[quote name='IRHari']For the dipshits who haven't gotten Demon's Souls yet, now is your time. Reclaim history. Buy it and experience one of the greatest RPG's released in the last 2 generations.[/QUOTE]

I still can't reconcile this love for it with all the claims that it's super hard.

Just because of all the love I'd rent it if I were doing Gamefly at the moment, or buy it for $10 or something I guess, but I'm 95% sure I'll hate it it sounds like.

Bought 3D Dot Game Heroes at launch though :)

Aw man, they are oos on Katamari Forever.
I was just looking and they sell this games at Best Buy for $29.99 and that is for PRE-OWNED
They don't even sell it new.
Walmart only sells it online and it's for $49.99.
That is madness.

[quote name='shadou']I think these are great prices for Demon's Souls, Eternal Sonata, Katamari Forever, and 3D Dot Game Heroes, especially if you are not charged tax.[/QUOTE]

bought all those for since i don't get taxed by newegg, and amazon taxes mee :applause:

[quote name='jewsdidwtc_returns']Demons Souls = Greatest Hits red case, fyi[/QUOTE]Why does that matter? I've seen people bring this up before and I don't see why it is a problem for some. Is the GH different from the original release in some way or do people just not like having a red case?

[quote name='lllGurulll']Why does that matter? I've seen people bring this up before and I don't see why it is a problem for some. Is the GH different from the original release in some way or do people just not like having a red case?[/QUOTE]

They just don't like the red case. :)

Demon's Souls sucks. It's a game that purposefully cripples your actions (with an action meter that determines whether or not you can attack/run) in order to create "challenge". In other words, it LOOKS like an action-RPG, but it's really more of a free-roaming RPG.

Go ahead and disagree with me on this, if you must, but Demon's reminds me of RE's old, broken controls - yeah, the game is harder/"scarier" if your controls don't respond as well as other action games... but what a lame way to design the game. Handicap does not = fun for me.

[quote name='Magikarp830']Demon's Souls sucks. It's a game that purposefully cripples your actions (with an action meter that determines whether or not you can attack/run) in order to create "challenge". In other words, it LOOKS like an action-RPG, but it's really more of a free-roaming RPG.

Go ahead and disagree with me on this, if you must, but Demon's reminds me of RE's old, broken controls - yeah, the game is harder/"scarier" if your controls don't respond as well as other action games... but what a lame way to design the game. Handicap does not = fun for me.[/QUOTE]

The controls force strategy, and teach you about timing attacks, timing rolls etc. I actually like the fact that this is one of few games that shield blocking is actually REQUIRED to kill most enemies. Too many games you walk up and wack them non stop which prevents them from attacking you. The main reason people get this game is it makes you pay for your mistakes. If you don't learn quickly from your failures you will end up getting nowhere and quitting very quickly. (At least 3 of my friends could not deal with their constant mistakes and gave up in under 3 hours)

[quote name='Magikarp830']
Go ahead and disagree with me on this, if you must, but Demon's reminds me of RE's old, broken controls - yeah, the game is harder/"scarier" if your controls don't respond as well as other action games... but what a lame way to design the game. Handicap does not = fun for me.[/QUOTE]

Resident Evil was designed for the controls though. I love those games.

It COULD be a similar situation here...or not (I mean I don't know).

[quote name='lllGurulll']Why does that matter? I've seen people bring this up before and I don't see why it is a problem for some. Is the GH different from the original release in some way or do people just not like having a red case?[/QUOTE]

Some people just don't like the different cases ruining the look of their collection. I'm a little OCD-ish myself, so I understand where they are coming from, but I still buy GH/PH from time-to-time, if the deal is too good to pass up, like Fable 2 with the DLC for $10.

[quote name='Magikarp830']Demon's Souls sucks. It's a game that purposefully cripples your actions (with an action meter that determines whether or not you can attack/run) in order to create "challenge". In other words, it LOOKS like an action-RPG, but it's really more of a free-roaming RPG.

You act like this is the first action-RPG to incorporate stamina into the gameplay. I don't think you even know what you're talking about. Also, the controls are in no way unresponsive, in fact, the R2/L2 buttons are a little too responsive.

Have to agree, if you dont own DEMONS SOULS you should. As for all the comments on diffuculty, play a old school Mega Man, Castlevania, its really no different its just 3D. YOU are the only weak link, if you dont block when you should, you will die, if you spam button attacks, you will die. if you dont pay attention, you will die. If you dont learn new tactics for new mobs, you will die. Errr.. wait a sec, I get it, nowdays ADD crowd would think this is hard....

Awsome game, worth every penny at full price, a steal at $15.

Personally, I've passed and will continue to pass on DS because of the difficulty. I play games to relax and entertain myself, not to test my ultimate gaming abilities. If people enjoy playing games at a high difficulty level, thats fine for them, but it shouldn't be forced down your throat like they do here. 90% of modern games have the option to adjust the difficulty level, I have no idea why it was omitted here.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Personally, I've passed and will continue to pass on DS because of the difficulty. I play games to relax and entertain myself, not to test my ultimate gaming abilities. If people enjoy playing games at a high difficulty level, thats fine for them, but it shouldn't be forced down your throat like they do here. 90% of modern games have the option to adjust the difficulty level, I have no idea why it was omitted here.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

I have no problem with people wanting hard games, though I do have a problem with people acting like those of us who don't are somehow lesser.

I got really warm playing Demons Souls... then I looked down and suddenly I had chest hair and furry balls. It's so crazy. Just like they said.

Ok, I don't usually post much here, but I need to come in and plug Demon's Souls. If you own a PS3, you really should play Demon's Souls sooner or later.

I beat it one time (though I still haven't put any time into New Game+ due to my backlog), and I don't get why everyone keeps saying it is the hardest thing ever. It is challenging, and unforgiving, but not unreasonably hard, and never cheap. If you die, it is entirely your fault. Every. Single. Time. The controls are very responsive. I have no idea what the earlier poster was talking about on the controls. You do have a stamina gauge implemented, which depletes when you attack, dodge, and when you block attacks, but all that does is force you to pace and think about your actions rather than run in swinging away like an idiot. If you just charge in blindly, you'll get killed quite often. If you approach cautiously and with your shield ready, you'll do fine.

As far as the RPG part goes, it isn't anything like a JRPG. You control one character, third person camera, in real time. You have quite a selection of melee weapons that all handle differently, with different speed, power, reach, weight, attack motions, etc. as well as magic spells and a bow and arrow. All of these weapons can be upgraded along one or more different paths that each confer their own benefits or power enhancements that scale with different stats. There are 5 main worlds with several "levels" per world--although the levels are really just checkpoints/portals since the each world is one continuous environment--and a hub world. The 5 main worlds can be tackled in any order, even doing part of one then part of another. You will be able to find merchants and magic teachers both in the hub world and in places in the other worlds (though the hub world is really the only "safe" town-like area). There are starting classes, though that really only determines your initial stat spread and starting equipment; any class can use any weapon, armor, or magic with equal proficiency as long as their stats meet the requirements. So really as the game goes on the "class" becomes meaningless.

Souls collected from fallen enemies are the main and only currency of the game, used both to buy weapons, armor, and supplies from merchants and to pay for level ups which are granted in the hub world. If you die, you go back to the hub world and lose all souls collected to that point, but you leave behind a bloodstain. If you can make it back to that bloodstain without dying again, you will recover those lost souls. If you die again on the way, you leave a new bloodstain with your current soul count which overwrites the previous bloodstain. If you are online, you will be able to see the bloodstains of other players, and watch a phantom replay their last moments before death. It can be frustrating to lose a lot of souls due to carelessness, but you can and probably should be using those souls on a regular basis to buy level ups, repair your equipment, stock up on arrows and other items, etc. so that you usually won't have too many on hand at any given time. And there are a few tricks for soul farming if you need them.

The most important thing is to be careful, get to know both your enemies and your weapons, never just rush in, and learn from your mistakes. The combat is quite good and gives you plenty of options for handling each encounter.

So, this post is getting pretty long already, but the tl;dr version is that Demon's Souls truly is an awesome game that any PS3 owner should at least try. Watch some Let's Plays if you want to know more about the gameplay.

[quote name='nnthomas']I got really warm playing Demons Souls... then I looked down and suddenly I had chest hair and furry balls. It's so crazy. Just like they said.[/QUOTE]

Kind of weird that you were naked while playing DS but whatever floats your boat.

[quote name='sabanoo']Kind of weird that you were naked while playing DS but whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE]

I'd say that he was in Soul Form, but even Soul Form has some kind of clothes on.

[quote name='sabanoo']Kind of weird that you were naked while playing DS but whatever floats your boat.[/QUOTE]
He naked now.

[quote name='lllGurulll']You guys are starting to make me regret my purchase now. stop it.[/QUOTE]

You won't regret it, even if you suck at it. The game was designed in a way that makes you appreciate the AI and the difficulty. The AI isn't cheap and it doesn't do things that it shouldn't be able to. As others have said it will punish you for mistakes but you will learn from them.

Like Teen Wolf man. Aroooooooooo

I just got Katamari Forever on Amazon for ~$16. I know there's shipping with just that item, but if you have anything else you need to get on Amazon you can get the free shipping.

Demons Souls is fine as long as you can deal with how it makes you replay the entire area and respawns all the enemies every time you die.

Picked up DS for 15. I've been wanting an RPG and it seems solid enough. Does anyone know how the save system works?

wow demon's soul for $15.... i might pick it up but im afraid ill get addicted to it :x already struggling to get off cod and fifa.

I wouldnt mind picking up DS, Eternal Sonata and 3d dot heroes. 3 games for $15. $45 total. Nice deal, and I could afford it right now, but with 8 other :ps3: games waiting to be plaiyed, I can't really afford the time.

Don't pass on DS because of the difficulty. I beat it and I am no twitch gaming pro. I found Bayonetta to be an order of magnitude harder. One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you do open up shortcuts on many if the levels so even if you die after that point you can often get back to where you were pretty quickly. I need to get back into it and finish my platinum - I am so close but haven't played in months.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Personally, I've passed and will continue to pass on DS because of the difficulty. I play games to relax and entertain myself, not to test my ultimate gaming abilities. If people enjoy playing games at a high difficulty level, thats fine for them, but it shouldn't be forced down your throat like they do here. 90% of modern games have the option to adjust the difficulty level, I have no idea why it was omitted here.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, the difficulty in DS is a little exaggerated. Once you get the mechanics down, and equip a few important items, the difficulty is manageable. Yeah, you will die a lot still, but its because you rushed through and didn't bother to take the time required to advance safely. I have never played a game where dying so much only motivated me to play even longer and smarter. We can go all the way back to games like old school mega man where the difficulty was insane and to this day I will not bother playing another mega man. haha But DS has a charm that keeps you wanting to try again and again.

[quote name='kyrhon']Anyone know if the Demon's Souls is GH or BL?[/QUOTE]

Its probably YMMV. Both have the same SKU, and if its been a hot-seller on Newegg it'll probably be GH.

bread's done
Back