PS3 gaming on DSL vs Cable

jwargand

CAGiversary!
Hi All,
Wondering if anyone could provide some help...currently have comcast (6 MBps I think), but thinking about getting DSL instead, but worried about how it will impact me playing online (Play a lot of SFIIHD, UT3, CoD4, and others). Anyone tell me your experiences with one vs the other, and also what DSL speed you have. Thanks!

I've got DSL 3mb down and 800k up.

Never had an issue playing online. Hosting has never really been an issue either, at least for small/medium sized parties. I can't really complain.

What DSL speeds are your options? You going to be hosting large games alot?

Last edited by a moderator:
I got DSL it's 10 mb down and 1.5 mb up. It's not too bad for hosting regular small games, but a full 16 player Unreal Tournament 3 brings the service to its knees and produces lag for some people. If you're playing, the service is fine. But you need a good connection that's a lot faster then that if you want to host big 16-32 player games.

I don't think I'll really be hosting any games...looking at the website it seems they offer 1.5, 7, 12, and 20Mb download speeds, they don't mention anything about upload speeds...wondering if the 1.5 is too slow for gaming...

Look at how much lag there is on my UT3 server Rataxico and is that acceptable to you when you're playing? I'm hosting 16 people so of course there's gonna be lag, unless I make it a dedicated server, but listen servers require better bandwidth.

bread's done
Back